TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DMann2003

The OAO Mystery Science Theater 3000 Thread

Guest MikeSC
I have a bunch of Sci-Fi episodes on tape that I got when I learned it was going off TV for good. Plus I have the first 3 DVD Collections.

I like both Joel and Mike, but I like Mike's delivery better than Joel's. Mike seems more comfortable.

And MikeSC "Manos" is a Joel episode.

Wow, totally forgot that Joel was in there.

-=Mike

...TORGO RULES!

I've got a bunch of the last season on tape and I just picked up the volume 2 box sets for the shorts more than anything. Although Angels Revenge has a nice cast of washed up drunk like Jack Palance and Peter Lawfor that should amuse me.

I prefer Mike to Joel, but the first episodes I saw were with Mike. I think that might have something to do with who you prefer. I also have a hard time adjusting to the original Crowe voice as I first got acquainted with the series in the later years on Sci-fi.

I think if they were alone then Mike would be better, but with the Bots Joel is better. His MSTing goes a lot better with the bots' than Mike's.

I'm more interested in getting a DVD copy of the movie than any more episodes right now. I still need to get the 3rd and 4th DVD box sets, though

I just stumbled onto this thread...Now...

I'm not the biggest MST3K freak around... I love the quote, and the name came soon after. I only have 2 DVDs and 3 tapes...those being

Mitchell

The Beginning Of The End

I Accuse My Parents

THE MOVIE

Manos: The Hands of Fate

I Accuse... and the Movie are my two favorites. I think I actually have to be able to watch the ACTUAL movie to be able to watch the entire show.

Oh...and nearly nothing beats "Mr. B Natural" and "Truck Farmer"...

"I don't think I've seen ONE truck in this whole thing." (there was ONE in fact, when the guys are working with carrots)

I think this is like the 6th "OaO MST3K Thread" on this board since it opened. Take THAT Buffy and Angel!!

Ahem.....anyway, I have almost every Sci-Fi era episode on tape, save for 3 or 4, but I accidentally taped over The second half of Jack Frost. Pissed me off to no end. I have the Volume 1 DVD set, Mitchell on DVD, and a bunch of Rhino's VHS releases. I also have the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide, and MST3K: The Movie (This Island Earth).

As for the rights: a fair amount of the movies I believe (at least, a lot of the Japanese ones) were supplied by a guy named Sandy Frank. Unfortunately, M/J&TB made fun of him endlessly, so he got pissed and said He would never give them the rights to any of his movies again. Another reason is probably whoever owns the rights to the movies either don't want the movies to be mocked anymore, or want too much money.

And Manos is the greatest ever.

As for the rights: a fair amount of the movies I believe (at least, a lot of the Japanese ones) were supplied by a guy named Sandy Frank. Unfortunately, M/J&TB made fun of him endlessly, so he got pissed and said He would never give them the rights to any of his movies again. Another reason is probably whoever owns the rights to the movies either don't want the movies to be mocked anymore, or want too much money.

Well, Time of The Apes, Mighty Jack, Fugitive Alien, Fugitive Alien 2, and Gamera are the Sandy Frank ones, but that's about it. As for the rights issues, one of the reasons they went with Rhino is because of Rhino's tape library: many of the movies on MST3K is Rhino's property now, thus the videos can be released for those. Oddly, there are still a number of them that Rhino has the rights to that haven't gotten the home video treatment.

Some of them may want too much money, but I doubt it. Quite a lot of the studios gave them the rights for the original runs with only the intention of getting a few bucks out of otherwise worthless turkeys, or they usually sell the rights to small local stations who need to fill up airtime. The rights granted are usually non-exclusive of course, but unless some one is making decisions that has a personal stake, they'd likely be rather reasonable about it.

I own a majority of the episodes shown on the show, sans KTMA or season 1. Mostly through fan-made VHS tapes, half or so I acquired through a friend. We purchase from the same tape trader, make copies, and give the other one a copy so we effectively cut both our costs.

More episodes are comin', it just takes time. Naturally, it's best if when they come up with the DVDs that there are extra features--the uncut version of the movie and other extras, for example.

Take THAT Buffy and Angel

*hates Joss Whedon anyway for Alien: Ressurrection.*

Being a fairly lazy man as of late, most of my thoughts on MST are documented already in this thread

It's a shame if the Sandy Frank episodes never see the light of day again, those were some of my favorite episodes

I'm also wondering if the Master Ninja eps will ever be released

Well, I'm trying to dub the episodes I've borrowed in order season to season, I'm starting with Season 2 and will work my way from there, cutting out commercials I can fit 3 1/2 episodes on 1 tape in EP mode (7 full episodes per 2 tapes)

Guest wrestlingbs

I saw the DVDs at Suncoast yesterday and I'm tempted to buy one.

One of my favs was the "highway to the future" 30 minute short may by some car company. I couldn't stop laughing at that.

I saw the DVDs at Suncoast yesterday and I'm tempted to buy one.

One of my favs was the "highway to the future" 30 minute short may by some car company. I couldn't stop laughing at that.

It sounds like you're describing "Design for Dreaming," a GM-produced musical short mainly dealing with their cars, but also featuring a bunch of cartoonish "futuristic" gimmick kitchen appliances. The attractive short-haired lady in it was used as the basis for "Nuveena, Woman of the Future," a recurring host segment character played by Briget Jones (Mike Nelson's wife).

It's on one of the shorts tapes, and is presented prior to the 12 to the Moon experiment, I think.

Favorite eps, everyone?

Joel era: Pod People, Fugitive Alien, the Herc flicks, the Godzilla/Gamera movies, Eegah, Creeping Terror, Cave Dwellers

Mike CC era: Outlaw, Beast of Yucca Flats, Angels' Revenge, Girls' Town, Incredible Melting Man, Atomic Brain

CC era: The Final Sacrifice, Hobgoblins, Space Mutiny, Touch of Satan, Puma Man, Prince of Space, Invasion of the Neptune Men, Time Chasers

My favorites (keep in mind I haven't seen a lot of pre-Sci-Fi episodes):

Joel: Manos, Pod People, Cave Dwellers, Mitchell

Mike (ComedyCentral): Angel's Revenge, Beginning of the End, Creeping Terror

Mike (Sci-Fi): Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, Neptune Men, Prince of Space, Soultaker, Final Sacrifice, Time Chasers, Space Mutiny

Some favs:

Joel Era: Any of the Godzillas/Gameras, Teenagers from Outspace, I Accuse my parents, Mitchell, Time of the Apes.

Mike era: Zombie Nightmare, Last of the Wildhorses, Santa Claus, Alien from LA, Brain the Wouldn't die

SciFi era: Time Chasers, Hobgobins, Soul Taker, Touch of Satan, Revenge of The Creature.

Also people should really check out Mike Nelson's commentary on a new DVD release of "Reefer Madness" It's a really funny MST3Kish commentary.

Manos I forgot to put on my list, but even though I like it, a lot of other eps I think are better don't get as much love.

Hired! Part 2 is fantastic, though.

"When I started out, the first thing Harry drilled into me--" "--Was Harry!"

"We're going to have leadership the way my old man taught me. YOU--wear a handkerchief on your head. YOU--swat at imaginary elves. YOU--rock on the porch all night!"

"AHHH! Sid gets more sales because he's a shapeshifter."

"Do you know that Chevrolet has a fabulous plan for your life?"

"BUT HE BOUGHT THE FLIPPIN' CAR!!"

"Adlai Stevenson buys a car..."

"Good salesman...BAD salesman..."

"Stay soft, pink and oily!"

It's probably my 3rd favorite short on the show, after Mr. B Natural and Cheating. Hired Pt. 2, Chicken of Tommorrow and Robot Rumpus would make up the rest of it.

However, I can understand why people like it. It's probably the most impressive work as far as taking a completely unwatchable movie and making it entertaining.

I still think Monster A-Go-Go was also a great ep, and even more impressive a work. Manos has Torgo, MAGG has NOTHING. In the ACEG, Paul Chaplin calls it, officially, the worst one they've ever done.

PsychoDriver: Sure that's MST3K Mike? I'd heard some one say it isn't the same Mike, but another Mike Nelson.

Also, it's odd Mike used his real name, but Joel had his last name changed for his character. Hm.

PsychoDriver: Sure that's MST3K Mike? I'd heard some one say it isn't the same Mike, but another Mike Nelson.

It's the real Mike. I've listened too it...

And heck His picture is even on a sticker on the box

It is indeed Michael J Nelson who does the commentary on the new Reefer Madness

Also, put me on the small list of folks who think Manos is overrated... it's good, but not the super-great episode a lot of MSTies make it out to be

Okay, thanks for the confirmation on Reefer Madness.

Some of the really classic Sci Fi eps aren't on DVD yet, but they put Hamlet and Boggy Creek II on there?! Very odd.

Then again, they bothered to release Bloodlust and Hellcats on VHS AND DVD, and those are nearly unwatchable for me. Sidehackers has its moments, but the movie is so repulsive.

I really hate Ross Hagan and Michael Pataki.

Guest MikeSC
Okay, thanks for the confirmation on Reefer Madness.

Some of the really classic Sci Fi eps aren't on DVD yet, but they put Hamlet and Boggy Creek II on there?! Very odd.

Then again, they bothered to release Bloodlust and Hellcats on VHS AND DVD, and those are nearly unwatchable for me. Sidehackers has its moments, but the movie is so repulsive.

I really hate Ross Hagan and Michael Pataki.

I actually can't sit through the Hamlet ep. The only one I couldn't withstand.

-=Mike

-=Mike

Not counting the KTMA eps (which have very little riffing) or some of the season one eps, the worst episodes are generally regarded as Quest of the Delta Knights, Hamlet, Bloodlust, and Hellcats. I pretty much agree on all of those choices, as well. Staggeringly, 3 of those got home releases.

Props to them trying something different with Hamlet, but I don't think the result was worth putting on a DVD set, when there are better choices available.

Hamlet is without a doubt in the bottom five for worst non-KTMA/Season 1 episodes. The fact it's wasting space next to such classics as Space Mutiny and Overdrawn at the Memory Bank on the fourth DVD set drops the value a fair bit.

I thought Boggy Creek II was a pretty good one. I didn't see it during the original run but I got the fifth DVD set (my first one actually) a couple weeks ago and thought it was good, especially for the mid-80's eye candy (no, I don't mean the shirtless boy)

-=Mike

Not counting the KTMA eps (which have very little riffing) or some of the season one eps, the worst episodes are generally regarded as Quest of the Delta Knights, Hamlet, Bloodlust, and Hellcats. I pretty much agree on all of those choices, as well. Staggeringly, 3 of those got home releases.

Props to them trying something different with Hamlet, but I don't think the result was worth putting on a DVD set, when there are better choices available.

I actually liked "Quest of the Delta Knights"

Once you get past the part where Pearl is in the theater it's alright. And nothing get's me more than the "I'm comiiiiiiiiiiing!" part.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

I actually liked "Quest". So unbelievably corny that you couldn't help but love it.

And which one had Joe Estevez as the Grim Reaper?

God, there are so many movies that they could do. Heck, they never really did much of Ed Wood's stuff.

-=Mike

..."I don't think any movie actually STARS Joe Esteves"

Soultaker had Joe in it as the...soultaker guy, but he also was in Werewolf.

They actually did a few Ed Wood pictures: Bride of the Monster and the Sinister Urge were directed by Wood (and wrote/produced), and Wood wrote The Violent Years.

Plan 9 would be way too easy, so they never did it.

Glen or Glenda? might have been a good one to try, though.

Too bad they couldn't do "Howard the Duck" or "Mac & Me"

Guest MikeSC
Soultaker had Joe in it as the...soultaker guy, but he also was in Werewolf.

They actually did a few Ed Wood pictures: Bride of the Monster and the Sinister Urge were directed by Wood (among other things), and Wood wrote The Violent Years.

Plan 9 would be way too easy, so they never did it.

Glen or Glenda? might have been a good one to try, though.

Wood had to have more movies somewhere to rip on. And I can only imagine what they'd do to Hulk Hogan vehicles.

-=Mike