TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

1.) Did WCW have any idea what to do after Starrcade 1997, because it seem to me at the time that they didn't. Was WCW so busy concentrating on the buildup and the actual show, that they had no idea what to do after it was all said and done? Was the splitting of the nWo into the Wolfpac and the Black and White planned months in advance or was it on the fly?

2.) Was there any explanation as to why Dale Torborg transform from a racecar driver who appeared on WCW Worldwide, to the MVP-Most Violent Player who wore facepaint and a baseball uniform and who wrestled on Thunder, to the KISS Demon who had a feud with Vampiro?

3.) Whatever happened to the WCW Presidency angle? I remember Sting beating Ric Flair for the presidency in July 1999, being president for a week or two, and then it was dropped.

4.) I remember a Nitro in October 1999 when Macho Man Randy Savage came out with Gorgeous George dressed like a pimp from a 70s movie talking about how he was going to introduce the future of wrestling later that night. But nothing happened. Who was Savage going to introduce, and why was it dropped?

5.) Speaking of Mach, why did he disappeared after his match with Dennis Rodman at Road Wild 1999? And why did he come back on Thunder in May 2000 and interfered in the New Blood vs. Millionaire's Club battle royal, but didn't show up on Nitro and was never mention again?

6.) Why did Hogan go back to dressing up like Hollywood Hogan in 2000 during the New Blood vs. Millionaire's Club feud?

7.) I remember on the Thunder before the first Russo/Bischoff show in 2000, that Hogan was interviewed by Mike Tenay. He said something along the lines of "Billy Kidman couldn't draw a flea market." Was that a shoot? Or was that meant to a way to start the Hogan/Kidman feud? And why would Hogan feud with Kidman of all people if Hogan ended up winning the blow-off?

8.) Is it true that Vince Russo won the WCW Title once? If so, when? And why?

9.) Why did Bret Hart feud with Will Sasso of Mad TV in 1999?

10.) When did WCW stop working with Master P. and why?

11.) Why did Rey Mysterio, Juventud Guererra, and Psichosic lose their masks? And I heard that Rey's attitude changed and his match quality dropped after he lost the mask. Is this true? Was he lazy after he lost the mask?

12.) When did DJ Ran start appearing on Nitro and on the pay-per-views, when did he stop, and what was the point of it? Wrestling shows don't need DJs!

Is it me, or did alot of WCW shows from 1999 and 2000 have dead crowds? It seems like the crowd never reacted to anything.

To get the easy ones of the way...

Bret Hart did a guest spot on MadTV in early 1999. During one of the skits, Sasso (doing a Jesse Ventura impersonation) starting pushing around Bret (as per the skit), but when Sasso turned around, Bret waffled him with a chair, then clamped on the sharpshooter. WCW promoted it as a worked-shoot angle, which they later brought back when Sasso was at ringside for a Nitro. He distracted Bret during a U.S. title match, costing him the match against Roddy Piper (02.08.1999). The next week, Bret faced Sasso in a singles match, where the ending saw Debra Wilson (Sasso's colleague on MadTV) turning on Sasso. After that, we didn't hear a mention of the comedian again.

12.) When did DJ Ran start appearing on Nitro and on the pay-per-views, when did he stop, and what was the point of it? Wrestling shows don't need DJs!

Don't remember the exact dates of his stints, but he was simply there to pump the crowds up during the commercial breaks (a great idea in retrospect). His appearances there helped the "Rap Is Crap" angle get off the ground.

Kind of. He had a cage match with Booker for the belt in September of 2000. Russo won the match when Goldberg speared him through the cage door, I believe. The title was held up and Booker won a weird match on Nitro against Jeff Jarrett to win the title back.

Why? It's Russo! :)

Guest MikeSC
1.) Did WCW have any idea what to do after Starrcade 1997, because it seem to me at the time that they didn't. Was WCW so busy concentrating on the buildup and the actual show, that they had no idea what to do after it was all said and done? Was the splitting of the nWo into the Wolfpac and the Black and White planned months in advance or was it on the fly?

2.) Was there any explanation as to why Dale Torborg transform from a racecar driver who appeared on WCW Worldwide, to the MVP-Most Violent Player who wore facepaint and a baseball uniform and who wrestled on Thunder, to the KISS Demon who had a feud with Vampiro?

3.) Whatever happened to the WCW Presidency angle? I remember Sting beating Ric Flair for the presidency in July 1999, being president for a week or two, and then it was dropped.

4.) I remember a Nitro in October 1999 when Macho Man Randy Savage came out with Gorgeous George dressed like a pimp from a 70s movie talking about how he was going to introduce the future of wrestling later that night. But nothing happened. Who was Savage going to introduce, and why was it dropped?

5.) Speaking of Mach, why did he disappeared after his match with Dennis Rodman at Road Wild 1999? And why did he come back on Thunder in May 2000 and interfered in the New Blood vs. Millionaire's Club battle royal, but didn't show up on Nitro and was never mention again?

6.) Why did Hogan go back to dressing up like Hollywood Hogan in 2000 during the New Blood vs. Millionaire's Club feud?

7.) I remember on the Thunder before the first Russo/Bischoff show in 2000, that Hogan was interviewed by Mike Tenay. He said something along the lines of "Billy Kidman couldn't draw a flea market." Was that a shoot? Or was that meant to a way to start the Hogan/Kidman feud? And why would Hogan feud with Kidman of all people if Hogan ended up winning the blow-off?

11.) Why did Rey Mysterio, Juventud Guererra, and Psichosic lose their masks? And I heard that Rey's attitude changed and his match quality dropped after he lost the mask. Is this true? Was he lazy after he lost the mask?

Is it me, or did alot of WCW shows from 1999 and 2000 have dead crowds? It seems like the crowd never reacted to anything.

1) Nobody can for CERTAIN --- but, no, they didn't seem to have a clue what to do. When Starrcade ended, in spite of the heels winning almost every single match, there wasn't a compelling challenger for Sting's title outside of Hulk Hogan. I imagine they MIGHT have stuck Flair in that slot, but they didn't seem to know what to do next.

2) No explanation was given. They usually aren't. They didn't even mention that the Demon was Torborg until June or July.

3) Russo was hired and that angle was shelved as quickly as possible.

4) I'll let Loss, HTQ, or OSI comment, as I don't even remember that.

5) Don't know about Road Wild (I assumed that they wanted somebody who might be able to carry Rodman to something watchable) --- but in 2000, I understood that they felt they were about to sign him and had him appear on Thunder --- but he didn't sign and they never mentioned (nor showed) him cleaning house in that battle royal after a week or so.

6) Because "Hollywood" was willing to fight dirty, or some such nonsense. They attempted to actually give a reason.

7) Hogan first made that comment on a radio show I think (odds are, Bubba the Love Sponge) months prior. And the interview was, I believe, AFTER Russo's return, as Russo felt that the angle could make big money if they played up that. He simply re-iterated them for the angle.

And the angle MIGHT have made money (not likely, but it could have) --- except Hogan was the face and just beat the snot out of Kidman every night. I am guessing that Russo wanted somebody besides Hogan in the World Title hunt for a while --- and when nobody really caught on with the audience (of course, heading into June, the longest World Title reign under Russo was David Arquette's), Hogan returned to the World Title hunt. Hogan v Kidman was the easiest choice --- and they botched it as thoroughly as one can botch it.

8) Yes. I am thinking it was a triple-tier WarGames match where Goldberg speared him through the cage or something. It was silly and did a bang-up job of undercutting his attempt to make Booker a ME player.

9) Bret Hart appeared on MAD TV around that time and WCW thought it'd generate some cross-over buzz.

It didn't. It was as quickly ignored as Rick Steiner v Chucky.

10) The angle tanked. Horribly. Master P wasn't cheap and his "team" became de facto heels against the "heel" Texas Rednecks. It made no sense to keep him as he was doing nothing but generating heel heat for his "Face" team, so they simply parted ways.

Why WCW would try to run rap as faces against country as heels when you're a SOUTHERN-BASED PROMOTION is baffling.

11) Bischoff and Russo seemed to think that they couldn't get over while masked (WCW totally dropped the ball when it came to something as simple as SELLING THE MASKS AS MERCHANDISE) and sought to unmask a lot of the luchas for years (I know they targeted Rey's mask LONG ago).

And, yes, unmasked Rey put on some real blah matches. He did nothing but hurricanranas --- but he also had knee problems that he never really let heal, either. He started becoming Mini-Konnan and a real mediocre performer. But, I'll assume it was knee problems and not attitude problems.

12) He was another attempt by WCW to be more hip. Like all of the others, it was horribly done. Trying to keep the crowd hot during breaks sounds wise --- but DJ Ran just annoyed people.

-=Mike

What happened on the second to last Nitro(the one before the multicast), was any indication given over the air just how bad they were in trouble?

The future of wrestling that Savage was going to introduce was.....Savage. It was just a way of changing his character, and trying to freshen him up. Not realising you can't freshen up stale crap.

And a lot of the crowds for WCW were dead, simply because they weren't being given the product they wanted, so they just sat there. Most of the time, you can put this down to Vince Russo, who was such a total fucking idiot, that he rejected a survey WCW did of their own fans, which asked them what they wanted. The fans said they wanted more wrestling and less skits, but Russo, being the genius that he is, knew better, went in the absolute opposite direction, and sent the company into the shitter.

What happened on the second to last Nitro(the one before the multicast), was any indication given over the air just how bad they were in trouble?

The Fusient deal wasn't dead at that point, but they either didn't know or didn't let on that it was in trouble. The deal for the WWF buying them out didn't come through until the Friday before the last episode of Nitro. Bischoff did a taped interview with Tony Schiavone over the phone on the second to last Nitro to set up the Night Of Champions for the last Nitro, as he had pretty much total booking control at that point, due to the sale, which had yet to tank at that point.

Guest Loss

Everything was completely done on the fly, with no indication of long-term thinking. Nitro was usually booked as the show went with no plans in advance for what they wanted to do, even.

No explanation was ever given. They just repackaged him.

The plan at the time was for Sting to hand over the Presidency to Bischoff after Bischoff had earned everyone's trust again, only for Bischoff to again go mad with power and reunite the NWO without Hogan. They eventually decided to take a different approach, and keep Bischoff off camera. Nash also wanted a few months off to vacation, and Hall was still Hall.

It was a way to push Gorgeous George hard and also repackage Savage, but something happened and he ended up not sticking around.

He quit WCW after Road Wild because he felt Hogan was trying to sabotage his career, and because he was still mad about dropping the title to Hogan one day after winning it at Bash at the Beach. The 2000 question has already been covered.

Because they felt he needed an edge.

They had Hogan repeat comments he had made on a radio show that he had gotten major heat with other wrestlers for, in the hopes of starting a feud. Hogan was trying to show that he was willing to work with the young guys to repair his rep.

He did, and lost it quickly, because he's an egomaniac.

Why not?

Master P promised Bischoff that Nitro could sell out the Superdome in New Orleans if they advertised him doing a concert before the show, and it didn't even come close.

WCW felt Rey and Juvi were too good looking to have their faces behind masks. With Psicosis, that was just the last guy they felt needed to lose his mask like the rest. Rey's match quality dropped, but not so much his attitude.

They were trying to make Nitro more hip and keep the crowd pumped during commercial breaks. Around this time, they also gave Tony Schiavone a different hairstyle and put him in a leather jacket for the same reason!

The crowds were pretty silent by that time because there were few over wrestlers on the roster that the audience cared about. Guys like Flair and Goldberg were always able to get heat, but others were hit and miss.

To show the kind of 'long term planning' they had there, when Sting went back to the black and white costuming for a tag match on Nitro, which was after he'd joined the Wolfpac, Kevin Nash didn't know about it until it happened. Nash was furious, feeling that Hogan was trying to undermine the popularity of the Wolfpac, which is hilarious for obvious reasons.

Guest Loss

I believe Nash wasn't at the show that night because he had skipped Nitro, because they wanted him to put over Goldberg.

Why did Nash agree to do a clean job to Goldberg at Spring Stampede 99?

Why did Bagwell go over Luger at Starrcade 97?

What was the deal with Savage being the ref at Spring Stampede 99? What was the angle behind it?

Was DDP winning the title really a shock to everyone?

Why did Nash agree to do a clean job to Goldberg at Spring Stampede 99?

Why did Bagwell go over Luger at Starrcade 97?

What was the deal with Savage being the ref at Spring Stampede 99? What was the angle behind it?

Was DDP winning the title really a shock to everyone?

He probably felt fine with it, because he'd already killed Goldberg's aura at Starrcade, and so his mission was done.

I believe Bagwell kicked up a fuss over doing so many jobs in the lead up, so they had him go over instead.

I think it was meant to segue into Savage v Flair, as Savage hit Flair with the big elbow during the match.

Not a shock to those who thought it over.

What was the deal with

1)The Giant smoking cigs?

2) Luger dying and being reborn at the Total Package?

3) Flairs Mag 7?

What was the deal with

1)The Giant smoking cigs?

2) Luger dying and being reborn at the Total Package?

I think it was playing off of Giant's personal habits, as, by then, he had long since let himself go, so they made it part of his gimmick.

It was Luger Push #798,352. They insisted on repackaging guys who weren't worth that kind of effort.

The dumb thing about Luger vs. Bagwell is that Luger got the win back in a rematch the next night on Nitro. Why not just give the babyface the win on the big PPV?

Why not just give the babyface the win on the big PPV?

Bagwell was kicking up such a fuss, that they placated him with the big PPV win, and did the rematch right away, so they could still get the result they wanted.

Bagwell always kicked up a fuss about doing jobs.

Guest MikeSC

How did a guy who never really had a good match, never drew a dime, and was a prick backstage like Bagwell even KEEP a job for almost 10 years?

-=Mike

Guest Loss

Oddly enough, the story going into Starrcade '97 was that Buff kept getting DQ and countout wins over Luger every time they wrestled. He'd then celebrate as if he'd won the Superbowl.

Guest Loss
How did a guy who never really had a good match, never drew a dime, and was a prick backstage like Bagwell even KEEP a job for almost 10 years?

-=Mike

Women. You know the ones. The big-haired three-dollar sluts who screamed their asses off for him when they ran WCW Saturday Night at Center Stage in Atlanta. His look was the reason they kept giving him a chance. You can pretty much get away with anything in wrestling if you look good doing it.

-=Mike

Women. You know the ones. The big-haired three-dollar sluts who screamed their asses off for him when they ran WCW Saturday Night at Center Stage in Atlanta. His look was the reason they kept giving him a chance. You can pretty much get away with anything in wrestling if you look good doing it.

Looking good doesn't mean you don't make mistakes. Mistakes like taking your wife on the road and staying at the same motel you use when you screw ring rats.

Who was in charge of WCW when they did the mini-movie for Superbrawl III? I want to say it was still under Bill Watts, and if it was, did he actually approve it, or who did? I know they did one for Halloween Havoc '92.

Jim Cornette & the Heavenly Bodies appearing on Saturday Night. Where was that going? Was it just until Superbrawl or did WCW have other things in mind?

Who was in the running to take over WCW when Watts left? I've read things naming people from Tony Schiavone to Terry Funk.

Guest Loss
Who was in charge of WCW when they did the mini-movie for Superbrawl III? I want to say it was still under Bill Watts, and if it was, did he actually approve it, or who did? I know they did one for Halloween Havoc '92.

Eric Bischoff was in charge at that point, answering to Bill Shaw.

Jim Cornette & the Heavenly Bodies appearing on Saturday Night. Where was that going? Was it just until Superbrawl or did WCW have other things in mind?

SMW was getting funding from WCW under Watts, which Bischoff was legally required to keep doing after he assumed the VP position. I don't know anything about any plans for a big WCW/SMW feud. I think it was just Watts helping his friend Cornette get exposure for his new territory.

Who was in the running to take over WCW when Watts left? I've read things naming people from Tony Schiavone to Terry Funk.

Schiavone was the one most expected to get it, and some say he was extremely depressed over not getting the job.

The WCW/SMW relationship was simple talent trading. Guys from either company would work on cards for the other to make them more special. There would also be guys moving from SMW to WCW when the time was right, making the deal a forerunner of the WWE/OVW relationship.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Torborg tore his knee up pretty badly after his first appearance on Raw and right after his first appearance as the Pit Crew tag team with Chad Fortune. I'm not totally sure why he replaced Adams as the Demon, it might've had to do with a contract disupte. The baseball player thing I don't recall ever happening.

Actually they tried to go in sort of a new direction and left most of the nWo off of the next PPV. Hogan and Co. basically sabotaged everything after the show did a good buyrate without them.

3) Flairs Mag 7?

What do you want to know in particular? The membership or what they did? Basically they were Flair's lackeys when he regained control of WCW at the very end. Lex Luger, Buff Bagwell, Jeff Jarrett, Scott Steiner, Animal and Rick Steiner.

Guest OSIcon

This isn't a question, more of just a memory. My nominee for the most surreal wrestling television episode ever.

Anyone else remember the Nitro from March of '99 where they didn't even go to the arena until the second hour (9:00)? The first hour was just filled with pre-taped interviews (some of which were just replays from Thunder), vignettes, promos (ie. PPV commercials), and Ricky Rackman at Brown University segments.

The whole hour was completely worthless. The "highlight" (as in, the only that was new and had something remotely to do with storylines) was a series of black and white vignettes involving Hogan and Nash talking with Torrie Wilson about a "new plane" to take out Flair. These skits were of course horrible and incredibly cheesy, but seemed to be WCW's attempt at doing WWF-like "soap opera" skits. Hogan was all over this thing, as they also showed an interview of his from Thunder. The Ricky Rackman segments were a complete waste of time.

Watching this live, I had NO IDEA what was going on. Thinking that they simply couldn't be stupid enough to be doing this on purpose, I figured there must be some problem in the arena (maybe the electricity was out or something) that they were throwing all these promos out until they could go to the arena. The truth was, they thought it would be a good idea to try out doing a "pre-show" of sorts, before doing live at 9 head to head with RAW. Thankfully, they realized the idea made no sense and never did it again.

At 9, they finally went to the arena and the surrealness continued. David Flair comes to the ring instead of Goldberg for what was supposed to be a Goldberg-Gene interview. This pisses of Goldberg who comes out and confronts David in the ring. Flair then comes out and even though he had been a strong babyface as late as the week before and since his return in September, he plays a total heel going face to face with Goldberg. This lead to a GOldberg-Flair match later in the night (their first one). Flair playing a heel made no sense. It came out of no where and he was still feuding with Hogan, who was also a heel. I understand Flair wanted to be a heel and all of that, but they didn't even try to explain why he was acting like that and it was extremely confusing. Of course, they topped themselves on the confusion scale a couple of weeks later with the "First Blood" match at Uncesored that was won with a pin.

The whole show was really bad and in my opinion, below the "NWO Nitro" episode.

Guest Salacious Crumb
Where was Animal during Starrcade 93 and where was Hawk when Animal came in early 2001?

Don't know where Animal was in 1993. Don't know where Hawk was in 2001.

I don't know if this got answered. But Hawk was expected to come in once the new owners took over.

Guest Salacious Crumb
What was the deal with Warrior coming in? Was it just because Hogan never beat him? How did he leave so quickly? Was he working on a show to show basis?

Hogan wanted his job back from Wrestlemania VI. That's all there was to it.

Another early one I thought I'd add to. They also wanted him to work another match with Savage.

How did the Mortis character evolve into Kanyon? Didnt he try and join the flock as Mortis?

What was the deal with Glacier returning in 99 I think? I remember him being involved with Smiley and then selling his outfit or somthing like that.

Was the thing where Tank Abbott pulled a knife to Big Al's throat at Superbrawl 2000 a shoot?

Speaking of Abbott, did anyone hear that one of the reasons Russo was sent home at the start of 2000 was because he wanted Tank to win the title at Souled Out after the whole Radicals afair?

Did Chris Adams ever get any sort of push in WCW before his death?

Was the match between Christopher Daniels and Mike Modest their only WCW appearence on TV? Also didnt Daniels land on his head and knock himself out mid match?

Does anyone remember TNA wrestlers like Chris Harris, Sonny Siaki and Shark Boy being Saturday Night regulars in 2000?

Guest Salacious Crumb
How did the Mortis character evolve into Kanyon? Didnt he try and join the flock as Mortis?

He had a chance to join the Flock if he could beat DDP in a match and failed. Raven DDTed him onto the entrance way I think and he returned minus the mask after a DDP/Raven cage match.

What was the deal with Glacier returning in 99 I think? I remember him being involved with Smiley and then selling his outfit or somthing like that.

He actually had two returns. One was as some lame coach and that died after 2 weeks and then he came back as a comedy version of Glacier later on.

Was the thing where Tank Abbott pulled a knife to Big Al's throat at Superbrawl 2000 a shoot?

No, but he went a little too far after that point.

He got a minor one when he joined Regal and Taylor.

Guest Loss

He did, and he unmasked as Kanyon at the tail end of a feud with Raven.

They probably had him on the roster and were paying him too much and wanted to at least use him.

Yes. Tony Schiavone was praised for improvising and saying that Abbott pulled a comb on him.

Speaking of Abbott, did anyone hear that one of the reasons Russo was sent home at the start of 2000 was because he wanted Tank to win the title at Souled Out after the whole Radicals afair?

That was a large part of the reason, although WCW brass was already becoming skeptical of him.

Not really. I don't know that he got any wins.

Was the match between Christopher Daniels and Mike Modest their only WCW appearence on TV? Also didnt Daniels land on his head and knock himself out mid match?

I think it was the only match they had and yeah, I think he did knock himself out.

Does anyone remember TNA wrestlers like Chris Harris, Sonny Siaki and Shark Boy being Saturday Night regulars in 2000?

Yep.