TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Angle Mark

Countdown to Infinite Crisis, six page preview

Hmmm...that makes ense. The big plans for Beetle could be gaining powers, via the scarab or the Spectre (where it is in canon that it has to be attatched to a human soul/host).

Guest JMA
Read up on the JSA series (which is actually quite good) - Black Adam has become somewhat Punisher-esque, in the sense that while he combats evil, his philosophy of doing it is by slaughtering the bad guys as necessary (essentially making him an anti-hero). It's something that has put him severely at odds with the rest of the JSA, and led to some interesting subplots (especially as Atom Smasher has sort of turned heel and joined him in his crusade).

Personally, I really like that interpretation of Black Adam. He's more of a "dark" reflection of Captain Marvel rather than an "evil" reflection (considering Captain Marvel is a very traditional super-hero).

Very interesting.

I've been reading the Strange mini, and I think there's a definite possibility you're right.

I was checking the DC boards, and some say that Lord Luciphage might turn out to be an old JLA villain from the 70's

Starbreaker

Here is the Bio:

"First Appearance: Justice League of America #96 (February 1972)

An incredibly powerful "cosmic vampire" that feeds on entire planets. Starbreaker was driven away from the planet Rann by Adam Strange and the Justice League. After, he headed to Earth for revenge, but was defeated by the JLA and Sargon the Sorcerer, and subsequently imprisoned by the Guardians of the Universe. Years later, Starbreaker returned and destroyed the planet Almerac, but was once again was defeated by the Justice League."

seems like a good possibility

I've also been thinking that Beetle could become The Spectre.

An interesting proposal, and one that I also think is a definite possibility, given that the Spectre seems to be an important part of the storyline (given his role in the supernaturally-themed miniseries).

Spectre is kind of now floating around, but weaker/dumber. That's why Eclipso convinces it to team up with him in the magic/spirit related miniseries (I can't remember it's name for the life of me).

DC has posted previews of the 4 mini-series. Only the OMAC Project has text and it spoils Countdown for those that have not read it.(Need Acrobat Reader)

The OMAC Project

http://www.dccomics.com/media/excerpts/2866_x.pdf

Days of Vengeance (might not work for some)

http://www.dccomics.com/media/excerpts/2846_x.pdf

Villains United

http://www.dccomics.com/media/excerpts/3000_x.pdf

Rann/Thanagar War

http://www.dccomics.com/media/excerpts/2996_x.pdf

This doesn't change the fact that I think Jason Todd coming back is kinda dumb.

Well then, I suppose you're gonna hate this little gem from Winick.

Stolen from the DVD board, which had in turn stolen it from Newsarama: Winick (via Newsarama): The only hint I’ll give is that it’s no accident that DC Countdown and the return of Jason Todd happened on the same day. .

I don't even know what to make of that.

WHAT?????? JASON TODD CAME BACK????

I'm so lost.

This idiotic milking of the "Crisis on Infinite Earth" title is ridicules, especially when the new series has nothing to do with that series.

Man, I was wrong about that.

On the "Crisis Counseling" page that its definitely a "Crisis on Infinite Earths" sequel.

So, fuck Zero Hour, right?

So, fuck Zero Hour, right?

Man, Zero Hour was irrelevant as soon as Kingdom Come and its "hypertime" came around.

Regarding batman 638, funny how Jason is wearing a mask under another mask. Also why does he have to look like a slightly buffer Dick? They look almost identical.

Ugh...hypertime...

Who's idea was that again?

The Kingdom, not Kingdom Come, and it was the moron Waid's idea.

Now why would you say Waid is a moron?

Kingdom Come was great. His run on Fantastic Four was propably the best in ages.

Hypertime may cause some headaches, but its how they fixed all the Hawkman problems of the past. And it really helps characterization, post-Crisis. Technically, there is no reason Green Arrow and Green Lantern should be friends. But via hypertime, the classic O'Neil/Adams run is still valid. They still went cross country together and Speedy still became a junkie.

In short, all hypertime does is allows writers to allude to old events in DC history. I really don't have a problem with that.

In short, all hypertime does is allows writers to allude to old events in DC history. I really don't have a problem with that.

The fact of the matter is if that DC had really and truly rebooted the DCU after Crisis (or Zero Hour), Hypertime wouldn't be necessary. Of course, that's easier said than done, and as such you're better off having stuff retconned into Hypertime that ignoring it altogether.

So anyways, yeah, not a big fan, but noone's really abused it yet. Of course, I'll change my tune once they announce an All-Star/DCU Superman teamup...

Fear not about the All-Star/DCU crossovers. It allows for Hypertime, say if someone writes a really good All-Star story for it to be tansported over to the main character.

Fear not about the All-Star/DCU crossovers. It allows for Hypertime, say if someone writes a really good All-Star story for it to be tansported over to the main character.

Unless the characters are similar to "Tangent" or "Just Imagine". I really don't have much worries about Hypertime, actually. Grant Morrison fucking things up just because he can, that's another story.

Guest PlatinumBoy

The fact of the matter is if that DC had really and truly rebooted the DCU after Crisis (or Zero Hour), Hypertime wouldn't be necessary. Of course, that's easier said than done, and as such you're better off having stuff retconned into Hypertime that ignoring it altogether.

So anyways, yeah, not a big fan, but noone's really abused it yet. Of course, I'll change my tune once they announce an All-Star/DCU Superman teamup...

I never got why DC just didn't end the Crisis the way it ended in the Crisis series. Everything is one Universe, everyone remembers that was there at the beginning of time (Heroes plus New Gods/Darkseid and his crew and of course Psycho Pirate), and the heroes are getting used to this new world. They wouldn't need a reboot or anything if they left it this way, all the Earth 1 and Earth 2 stuff would have still worked, and Superman would be in a spot where he didn't need to be brought back--he would have been an elder Earth 1 hero, but all the Earth 2 folks older and wiser. Besides, they tied up the loose ends in the plot--getting rid of some of the same characters like Green Arrow from Earth 2, Earth 2 Superman, Robin, Huntress, Earth Prime's Superboy... and Earth 2's Batman was dead anyway

Plus, you had the story after Crisis of Doctor Ub'x remebering the Crisis and going after the Green Lanterns... lots of weird plot holes. As Steviekick said, Hawkman ended up a wreck.

Just to add my two cents, I got a free copy of this last week and enjoyed it. Doesn't make me want to go out and buy all the tie-ins, but it did make me want to buy Villains United. So, go DC!

Well I just got Coundown yesterday and enjoyed it quite a bit, but unfortunally for me I would have to think that this is were my collecting of the storyline ends unless I get the rest in TPBs later.

Guess this is what I get when the nearest comic store is 3 and a half hours away and Im poor to boot.