TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AboveAverage484

So Fire Pro R is back

I kind of wish I had a PS2 just for this game, but at the same time, the lack of American wrestlers kind of turns me off. Yeah, I know you can make them, but that's a lot of extra work just to have guys I recognize in the game...

I think I'll stick with my Xbox and playing Fire Pro D on my Dreamcast for now.

I could care less about the American contingent. I buy these games to play as Ohtani or Tenzan, etc. Not Ric Flair and Scott Hall.

The only complaint I've had over the years is that there are too many MMA guys... now THOSE are the guys that I don't recognize.

I'd join in heavily in the game discussion...but like...I'm totally burned out on hearing about the game right now. My friend who I talk to every day is fucking OBSESSED over it, and worships any bit of news coming from those who do have it.

That being said, the game should be quite excelent. Having seen a match myself (Downloaded) I noticed some thing I didn't exactly overly enjoy. The animation for hitting the electrified barbwire looks awkward, the crowd noises are incessently annoying...Shit like that bothers me.

On the flipside, the game includes eight man tag elimination cage matches...or just one fall. With Tornado. And weapons. WAAAAAAAARRRRRGAAAAAAAMES.

I'm still battling back and forth...I could afford a PS2 rather cheaply(Refurbished so it doesn't go KABOOM on me), with some games, a fliptop and FPR for about...300 dollars...but thats quite alot of cash when your fucking broke.

Guest abowen33

I felt like such a nerd sitting in my apartment, playing this for 4 hours today. I love it!

I felt like such a nerd sitting in my apartment, playing this for 4 hours today. I love it!

I was gonna start playing FPD to get warmed up but my controller won't read my Gameshark cartridge. In fact, none of them will. Needless to say, I'm pretty pissed. Oh well, I'll just play Z. Can't find my Swap Magic CD.

Dammit. Don't wanna order another Gameshark.

I was thinking about trying to get my hands on FPR, but I need to make it playable first. Here's the question: Would just the Swap Magic disc work with FPR, or do I also need the Flip Top component?

Swap Magic alone won't work.

If you have the original PS2 you'll need a casing mod (such as the flip top) or a slide tool.

PS2 Slim has small add ons called Magic Keys that you can add onto it without opening/modding the console, though.

A peek at that:

http://www.modchip.com/ps2/v12slimkit.php

The PS2 Slim is way easier and cheaper to modify. I ruined my old PS2 when I was uninstalling the flip top (the button no longer responded. This is cake, though.

On a related note, I just picked up Fire Pro Wrestling for the Game Boy Advance (The North American version published by Bam). Does anyone know of a good restoration guide so I can get the wrestlers to look like their real life counterparts?

Guest Princess Leena

You make it sound like you're not a nerd with 123412342 hours of time on his hands.

Anyone know where I can download the Swap Magic discs? I bought a Fliptop for 15 bucks instead of the 30+ they want for the combo. I figured I could find the Swap Magic's easy enough.

I've already downloaded a copy of Swap Magic, but it's for PAL PS2's, and I doubt it'll work on mine. So far, I haven't found a NTSC verison of the Swap Magic discs for download.

Edit: Well, fuck. I did a little looking and it turns out you can't burn Swap Magic discs without it not working. Fuck.

So, I caved and bought a Japanese PS2 while I was in Tokyo. A white slimline version. I figured it'd probably be the better route over fucking with my North American PS2 and possibly ruining it. Plus it was tax free and only cost 15,800 Yen.

I also picked up a bunch of games, and FPR was one of them (Only 2800 Yen!). What a great continuation of the series! The match variations are great and I loved that they've really souped up on the graphics as well. Especially the entire zooming in on the characters when they're all on screen.

Is anyone else still playing this?

I still pop it in every now and again but the lack of front grapple spots bugs me. Going from the FORTY ONE front grapple choices of KOCII to the what thirteen(?) of FPR just leads to using the same moves repeatedly.

It does have its advantages, the awesome 8 man tags, the faster pace for juniors, the edit mode allows more distinct edits, and the logic is more in depth (but not by that much).

I personally think KOC kills it moveset wise, most notably for me the number of different brainbusters and shining wizards. Not that i need so many shining wizards but i like having the position open to 15 different moves instead of 3 canned animations.

and the ratings of KOC2 really give me a reason to play every match to the best of my ability. I could start out wanting to do a squash match but then end up giving the guy some offense just cuz i hate to get a low rating. Why the GBA Fire Pro's had this but Returns doesn't is beyond me.

Didn't mean to turn this into a KOC verbal blowjob but i just dig it so much more.

KOC2 is on my list, for sure. I couldn't find a copy of it over in Tokyo, unfortunately, so it's gonna have to come in through ebay or something. ;)

I think the one thing about Returns that I miss from older FP games is the "Victory Road" type mode. Where you'd go through fighting in all the leagues, all the wrestlers, and unlocking other wrestlers in the process. They really really skimped on that sorta thing. Was hoping that I'd be able to unlock some of the wrestlers who are missing, but no dice.

How was FP Z? Is it worth getting as well for the sheer sake of how cheap it is pricewise, or are there some other features in there that are missing from FP R?

OK, sorry for bumping a really old topic, but I just got a PS2 (yeah, I'm that behind the times) basically to play FPR. I got it and it's awesome. I already have a fliptop on my PS2, but I had to send back the Swap Magic discs I ordered for an exchange, because the DVD boot disc worked very inconsistently (like, only once ever 20 times or so). Are there any alternatives to Swap Magic out there (other than buying and putting in a mod chip)? Just curious.

Could be a bad disc, I'd try using the replacement. If you don't want to use swap magic or a mod chip, you only have so many options. If you have a fat PS2, you can run games off an HD, which would require purchasing a retail HD loader disc. Some games don't work off the HD though. You can get a slide card for use with the standard PS2 DVD tray, but that method isn't reliable and it's possible to ruin the tray.

Yeah, I will definitely hope the replacement disc works better.

I have the slim PS2. Everyone I asked said it tends to be more reliable than the old "fat" version. Ironically, I bought a used one first, and that was all buggy, so I traded it back in and put it towards a brand new silver slim PS2, which has been great so far.