TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AboveAverage484

So Fire Pro R is back

I didn't mean in damage value. I meant in assigning a move as a finisher. You just simply designated "F" next to the move to let the game know, "This is my finish". And yes I also think that its very easy to hit your finisher and to kick out of it.

15 bucks and about 300 plus wrestlers plus insane crazy matches with 500 more spaces to create? So what's the downside to this from the people who have been able to play the games in the past. Is there one?

If you're a graphics type guy, this series sort of sucks, but gameplay, it's quite superb actually. Well actually another downside is they don't really seem to distinguish the difference between a finisher and a regular move. I guess it's more in line with Japan though where even an elbow strike finishes a guy as much as a burning hammer does.

Nah, pretty graphics don't mean much to me. I've played some fun games that looked like a 12 year old designed it. As long as it's enjoyable and giving me a great wrestling game (haven't seen one of those in a long time) then I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Plus the 15 dollar tag just screams "low risk, high reward". The controls do worry me a little bit, how much of a timing problem we talking here?

All it takes is practice. I remember when i first started playing Super Fire Pro X, i would loose 8 of 10 grapples and got my ass handed to me several times. Once it clicked it was the best game i had ever played. The sheer amount of stuff you can do to it and the ability to tweak the cpu logic to mirror a real life wrestler is great. Again you will have a hard time getting used to the controls cuz you cant button mash like in SVR but the payoff is great. Also the first couple of matches you should put the com difficulty to 1 till you get used to the grappling system, if u leave it at default ur gonna throw the controller on the floor.

When I first started playing, I would go against level 1's first and not advance until I was able to win three matches in a row by pinfall. It's not as hard as you think, I would say it took me a couple of weeks to get to 10, and then a month or so later, I was beating 10's. At that point, most of the matches I lost at 10 were still fun to me, so really you're rewarded by making it to that level, since the matches are so fun win or lose, as the pace is much faster than a lower level match.

15 bucks and about 300 plus wrestlers plus insane crazy matches with 500 more spaces to create? So what's the downside to this from the people who have been able to play the games in the past. Is there one?

If you're a graphics type guy, this series sort of sucks, but gameplay, it's quite superb actually. Well actually another downside is they don't really seem to distinguish the difference between a finisher and a regular move. I guess it's more in line with Japan though where even an elbow strike finishes a guy as much as a burning hammer does.

Nah, pretty graphics don't mean much to me. I've played some fun games that looked like a 12 year old designed it. As long as it's enjoyable and giving me a great wrestling game (haven't seen one of those in a long time) then I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Plus the 15 dollar tag just screams "low risk, high reward". The controls do worry me a little bit, how much of a timing problem we talking here?

You just have to train yourself to hit the button when you see the two wrestlers hands touch eachothers shoulders in the lockup stance. It's really not that hard to get used to at all. Once you get the hang of it, as everyone else has said above me, you'll be pulling off moves left, right and center! :P

Level 10 matches are deff fun to play and even sim, i would take lets say my created Mistico and pit him against Rey. Oh the matches those two had :) but yeah deff train at level 1 and then bump it up a notch each time.

Yeah it took me a few days to fully understand what I was doing. Question: Will the controls be the same as on the GBA series? IE: B for weak grapple, A for strong and A+B for finisher? (well using the corresponding buttons on the PS2 that is...)

You just have to train yourself to hit the button when you see the two wrestlers hands touch eachothers shoulders in the lockup stance. It's really not that hard to get used to at all. Once you get the hang of it, as everyone else has said above me, you'll be pulling off moves left, right and center! :P

That's it? Well heck, that doesn't sound too bad at all. I can deal with that. Plus really, I don't think I care too much if I lose matches. It would actually be a nice change of pace to have a game I lose a lot at.

Same idea but the controls are expanded on the ps2 version. You have 5 strong grapples instead of 4 and 3 strong strikes also head over to http://home.roadrunner.com/~billwood661/firepro.html and check out the two amazing guides this guy has, he makes things crystal clear.

You'd have to really suck or have molasses like reflexes to keep losing a lot after understanding the controls and timing.

I meant at the start. Losing every time even after I figured out the controls would just piss me off. Regardless, thanks to the info here I got the game pre-ordered from amazon. Now, I wait.

what he said, if u value your thumbs that is

MMA is even worse, since you HAVE to rotate the pad to escape from submissions. On a related note, me and my buddy used to have these 10 man elimination tag matches with MMA rules and fighters and criticals set at "high." Fun times.

fun times indeed, sometimes for fun i just like to sim some matches to see how my edits fare against the com, lol some of them need a lil retooling.

Yeah it took me a few days to fully understand what I was doing. Question: Will the controls be the same as on the GBA series? IE: B for weak grapple, A for strong and A+B for finisher? (well using the corresponding buttons on the PS2 that is...)

Similar, yes. Square for weak moves. X for medium moves. Circle for strong moves. Circle + X for the move that's usually a finisher. :)

I was never a big fan of simulating matches. I was never a big fan of making my own edits either, I mostly just downloaded them from online.

Does anybody else who plays this game NEVER strike? I don't, unless it's an MMA/K-1 rules match or my wrestler has a strike for a signature or a finisher.

I play the game as realistically I can, depending on who I'm using. That even includes letting the CPU get some offense in if needed. Don't mind if I lose either. :)

That's it? Well heck, that doesn't sound too bad at all. I can deal with that. Plus really, I don't think I care too much if I lose matches. It would actually be a nice change of pace to have a game I lose a lot at.

Turn the AI setting all the way down to start until you get the hang of the timing, and then gradually dial it up. That's what I did when I started playing the SNES version.

I guess I gotta wait until the new Wrestlecrap book to come out before Amazon ships my copy. Damn my cheap ass wanting the free shipping!

Does anybody else who plays this game NEVER strike? I don't, unless it's an MMA/K-1 rules match or my wrestler has a strike for a signature or a finisher.

No I don't strike. It just seems high risk/low reward for me to strike. If I land, its very low damage, but if I miss, I open myself to an attack.

I try to stay away from striking unless like u say my finisher happens to be a strike. Also this was confirmed at the Fireproclub site:

"

1. Some of the Japanese voice-over has been removed. Let me clarify – removed and not replaced with English voice-over.

2. The Critical/Finisher issue that has raised concerns IS in the final product. It should be noted when you go to edit name part of it – it will be displayed as Finisher Name Edit."

2. The Critical/Finisher issue that has raised concerns IS in the final product. It should be noted when you go to edit name part of it – it will be displayed as Finisher Name Edit."

What issue? The one I mentioned or something else?

I try to stay away from striking unless like u say my finisher happens to be a strike. Also this was confirmed at the Fireproclub site:

"

1. Some of the Japanese voice-over has been removed. Let me clarify – removed and not replaced with English voice-over.

1. For all the pissing and moaning going on over at the FPC, I don't find this important at all.

2. This is a little more problematic, but oh well, what can you do? It really only seems to matter to hardcore fans who know the difference between the Critical Skill and the wrestler's Finishing move. Casual fans aren't going to really give a shit, and criticals are rare enough that I doubt it's going to set off any alarms.

Oh i know trust me theres like 3 pages of whining on the boards already im just sharing it with you guys.

Yeah, it seems a lot of them over there quickly went from "Yay, Fire Pro Returns for North America, finally!" to "You better do this right or we riot!! OMGLOLZKTHXBYE!" Worst heel turn ever, heh.

I know, im just grateful i could play this puppy w/o having to import it and for only 14.99 i mean common!