TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathon

Friday Night Lights...

Am I the only one still watching this show? Tonight was alright although I did notice my attention waned a couple times. I'm not liking Saracen becoming the prototypical QB although it was spelled out weeks ago. Still great quality all around although it felt stronger earlier this season.

I liked last weeks episode (Buddy Garrity's rants on cripples are hilarious) but some things bothered me:

Why was Coach okay with Riggins missing two practices? I'm sure there was a scene cut, but it just seems weird that that was glossed over.

And it bothers me that the guy beats up that kid and gets kicked off the team, while Smash takes steroids, misses one game and is allowed back!

Well, for me tonight was the first "clunker" of the series. It was almost like they went, "Wow, we haven't done a 'Racism in the South' episode yet! Better fix that!" and threw this one together. The reporters were horrendous caricatures of muckrakers who were looking for an angle and found it with Mac, who seems to be someone who's out of touch with today's world but has managed to hold on to his job by keeping quiet. Did Mac say some dumbass things? Hell yeah he did. Was it racist? Marginally. He suggested that black people TEND to be more athletic then white people. Mac complimented Smash by comparing his to a "junkyard dog" (tenacious, never say die), and the reporter took it out of context and forced in the racial issue. Whre Mac went REAL wrong was appear to agree with the reporter when she said that HE said that whites were smarter than blacks. He did not clarify his position. Now, is Mac racist? I'd say he has tendencies towards it, but no more than Michael Irvin suggesting that Tony Romo had to have black ancestry because he could run.

After that, it all began the inevitable downhill rush. Waverly (who annoyed the shit out of me this episode) starts stirring shit up at every opportunity then dropping the race card on everything like she was a female Jessie Jackson and starts pressuring Smash to "stand up for his race" when all he wanted to do was keep doing his thing and let it all blow over (not necessarily the best decision, but it seemed like a reasonable one to me). I especially enjoyed how she claimed that a black person saying something racist against whites is totally different from when a white person says something racist against blacks.

Then, when his family gets turned down for a loan (wow, so have I, can I claim racism?) Smash gets upset (again, a reasonable response). His mother's reaction? Claim that EVERYONE in the bank is racist. As if someone shouting at the top of their lungs wouldn't draw attention. Then, out of his own sense of wounded pride and self-interest, then and only then does Smash decide to "rally the troops". It all just rang hollow to me.

I did enjoy the powderpuff scenes and Landry's return to the screen (his talks with Coach and Matt, the touchdown signal in Riggins' face). So it wasn't a total loss. I'm just tired of the "South is racist" mindset that seems to permeate the media's portrayal of anything south of the Mason Dixon line and east of the Rockies.

The powerpuff girl stuff was hilarious, even though I don't really know what that is. Riggins practises were great.

But the racism plot didn't work for me, especially when Mac turned heel at the end. But loved the stuff with Seracen and Tyra

We did powder puff in high school and that was always fun, although it was never during playoff time. That aspect was a stretch.

Anyways, loved Landry in his role and Saracen gets better and better. I knew instantly he was fucked when he didn't pick Julie first. Something I wanted to go back and check.

Garrity wore Jason's jersey during the game but did Julie wear Saracen's? The reaction Coach had upon finding out Julie was the QB was simply awesome.

As for the racism, I don't have any problem with this, yet.

Wow. I thought last week was the most rediculous "look how racist the South is" episode. I was wrong. Ludicrous doesn't even begin to describe it. Absolutely rediculous. I've lived in the South my whole life and I've travelled all over Texas and I've never seen anything even close to what was represented on this show the past two weeks.

From the previews, I thought last nights episode was going to be hokey, a "very special episode", but aside from the misdirection on who got injured, I thought it was a fine episode. I love the subtle progression and maturity of some of the characters, Smash this episode, and Saracen throughout the season. Good stuff with Street/Lila too.

Last night was pretty good indeed. Actually, Bob, didn't Buddy allude that he was able to get a bunch of new trucks and really needed the sponsership (which I assumed was to cover the damage) and since he didn't want to draw attention to it any further, he simply got rid of the damaged cars and probably made up a reason for the shattered display.

I was thinking Landry would show up and probably get his ass kicked but Tyra falls for his brave attempt but they didn't and I'm glad. Seeing Tyra fight her way out did more for the scene.

I'm glad I stuck with the show. I just didn't like the whole Street/Lyla/Riggins love triangle. WAYYY too Dawson's Creek for me.

Everything else has rocked, though I don't really care for Smash's relationship.

I'm glad I stuck with the show. I just didn't like the whole Street/Lyla/Riggins love triangle. WAYYY too Dawson's Creek for me.

Everything else has rocked, though I don't really care for Smash's relationship.

If it was Dawson's Creek, it'd be stretched out into three seasons ending with the obvious conclusion. It wasn't DC-like, it was high school like.

Smash's progression as a character has been good and Waverly has been a interesting character. This is one of those rare shows where you won't find a character you dont like or at least find interesting. The only character that approaches that for me is probably Tyra's mom.

If it was Dawson's Creek, it'd be stretched out into three seasons ending with the obvious conclusion. It wasn't DC-like, it was high school like.

Are we talking about this again?

The storyline was all corny and dumb, just like DC. I didn't like it. ONE storyline, which was a major one.

It wasn't like Dawson's Creek. Stop bringing it up.

I'm also glad that instead of having Landry stand up to the rapist, they instead had him just sit with Tyra and console her. That rape stuff was so intense

Hmm, yes it was. Corny, dumb drama. Dawson's Creek.

Why do you care what I think the love story was like? Is Peter Berg blowing you or something??

Riggins at The Roast: "So how about Saracen sleeping with The Coach's daughter." Fuckin Hilarious.

It almost seems like they are taking precautions with being canceled to possibly end this season in a manner that can serve as a series finale although it seems they have way to much to close out.

Riggins is my second favorite character behind Landry and any time they share screen time together is a gift from god.

I totally marked out for Saracens QB scramble play in the last episode, then kinda felt a bit retarded since it wasn't even a 'real' game haha

The show has been nothing short of amazing, with some of the best acting I've seen on TV for a while. It's truely a rare gem of modern TV in that it doesn't seem to be playing on too much cliché - I'm sure any other show would have had Landry appear at the last moment during Tyra's attack to become a hero.

There's been plenty patitions flying around the internet to keep FNL going for another series, personally I wouldn't mind if it did end this season or continue next just incase next season is poor.

This seemed a LOT like a series finale, but they did a good job of leaving a window for Taylor to realize that high school is where he should be coaching, he can't leave his family in Dillon, etc. and come back.

Man, the radio guys turned on him awful quick, didn't they? They extol his virtues and how he helped "heal the town" then turn right around and call him an opportunist because he's taking a job at a D1 college.

Lineups for next fall won't be out for at least another two weeks, I'd check Variety.com everyday to see. Anyone else catch the last play being an homage to Varsity Blues.

Fantastic finale (season/series). Managed to wrap most of the important stuff but left stuff in the open if they go to a second season as it should. I loved how they had Devil Town playing again as it did earlier in the season. Great way of coming full circle. I expected Buddy to be the one to spoil the news but they never addressed that angle. Everything with Landry rocked this season and we saw that tonght as well. He's probably my #1 chracter on the show, finally passing Riggins and Saracen.

I really enjoyed this show and it's the one show I really hope stays on the air, especially given all the shitty shows that stick around for multiple seasons. I just know if they cancel this show, they'll replace it with a dumb CSI rip-off or probably another game show.

I have to agree with earlier statements about how nearly every character on this show is likeable in some way. Great TV every week and I hope it does come back for another season. Although it would be strange if Coach taylor actually did change his mind and stay with Dillon at this point.

If it goes a second season, the focus would be about the strain the relationship takes between Coach Taylor and his wife and daughter being seperated. I wonder if they would go the direction of having Street take over? I don't think they will, I see them hiring some "big name" coach to take over that doesn't fit with Saracen and the rest while Coach is stuck lonely in Austin.

Other then the small stuff with Landry/Tyra, Lyla/Buddy and Smash's girlfriend, the slate is pretty much clean which opens new avenues for characters to take but the important pieces of Saracen/Julie and Coach's relationships and Jason's adapting to a new life will be addressed in the next season.