TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2006-07 MLB Offseason Thread

Guest NYankees

Yeah well when they offer the Lions 53 million to talk to him and only 48 million at 8 million per year. That is being cheap. Especially when pitchers like Gil Meche are getting 11 million per year and D Mat is supposed to be the best pitcher in the world.

Seems stupid to fight over 2-3 million per year? Times that by 6 and that is an extra 18 million dollars. Thats alot of extra money. The Boston Herald is reporting that D Mat and Boras are on the plane back to Boston so a deal should be announced soon.

Guest NYankees

I was using Gil Meche as an example. Every pitcher is getting over 10 million per year deals. Why should the so called greatest pitcher in the World only get 8 million per year.

Skip Bayless is predicting that D Mat goes 18-8 with a 2.8 era.

Yeah well when they offer the Lions 53 million to talk to him and only 48 million at 8 million per year. That is being cheap. Especially when pitchers like Gil Meche are getting 11 million per year and D Mat is supposed to be the best pitcher in the world.

The Yankees reportedly offered Kei Igawa a four year contract worth $16 million, and they paid $26 million for the rights to talk to him. Are they being cheap? These players are not free agents, and they do not have the luxury of having market forces determine their pay. That's the downside of the posting system. If he wants to go back to Japan for the next two years for $3 million, he's more than welcome to do that.

I don't understand why Matsuzaka hired Scott Boras as his agent if he was so eager to come to North America. Any contract negotiation with Boras is going to be like pulling teeth.

Scott Boras, from what I understand, basically has a stranglehold over talents from Japan. He's sort of the go to guy. If he blows the Matsuzaka deal, he could very well lost his stronghold abroad.

Interesting. CNNSI.com says the deal is 6 years 52Mil

Excellent deal for the Red Sox. I figured he'd get more money and less years. If they can recoup just half of the posting fee through international investments and advertising, the total commitment would be around $75 million for six years, or basically Roy Oswalt money. That sounds about right based on projections and translated performances. Now let's just hope he can live up to those lofty expectations being placed on him.

In other news, the Sox also resigned Doug Mirabelli. I don't really care for Dougie, but his zips and pecota projections are very comparable to Toby Hall and Rod Barajas, the other catchers on the market. They'd both cost more money, and neither, as far as I know, have any knuckleball experience.

Guest NYankees

Wrrooooooonnnngggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 Years 104 million.

6 Years 104 million.

Including the non luxury taxable posting fee yes $103.1Mil and that's just fine with me :)

Guest NYankees

Are the rumors true that the contract could go up to 6 years 60 million?

The rumor about Zito is that the Rangers have thrown their hat into the mix. Since Boras is finished with D Mat, expect Zito to be signed somewhere soon.

I hear there's incentives that could do that, probably involving innings pitched or wins or something like that. It's about what I expected, $9-10M/yr

The rumor is that the cheapskate Red Sox are offering D Mat a 6 year 48 million dollar contract. They are not operating in good faith and the posting should be voided.

Just wanted to point out this comment again, seeing as though Dice signed for $52 million a couple hours later.

6 Years 104 million.

104? If anything, it would 103 from the $51 million they pay the Lions.

The rumor is that the cheapskate Red Sox are offering D Mat a 6 year 48 million dollar contract. They are not operating in good faith and the posting should be voided.

Just wanted to point out this comment again, seeing as though Dice signed for $52 million a couple hours later.

Wait, was he saying that 6 years for $48 million is cheap? Yeah, okay...

Guest NYankees
I hear there's incentives that could do that, probably involving innings pitched or wins or something like that. It's about what I expected, $9-10M/yr

I think it is based on Innings pitched. I remember hearing on Mike and the Mad Dog that it is illegal for them have bonuses based on performance Wins, Batting Average, Rbi's and Homeruns. Thats why all the bonuses are based on innings and plate appearances. Al can you please offer your knowledge on this issue.

I think it is based on Innings pitched. I remember hearing on Mike and the Mad Dog that it is illegal for them have bonuses based on performance Wins, Batting Average, Rbi's and Homeruns. Thats why all the bonuses are based on innings and plate appearances. Al can you please offer your knowledge on this issue.

I can't confirm that it is the case. I can say that I can not recall a contract offering an incentive for batting average, wins, etc. Clauses are almost always either playing time, or making an All-Star team, winning MVP, etc.

Guest NYankees

I was basing it off of what I heard on Mike and the Mad Dog the other day and I was asking Al if it were true. Mike Francessa said that it was illegal in baseball to offer bonuses based on numbers. That is why bonuses are based on playing time and like Al said awards and all star games.

I was basing it off of what I heard on Mike and the Mad Dog the other day and I was asking Al if it were true. Mike Francessa said that it was illegal in baseball to offer bonuses based on numbers. That is why bonuses are based on playing time and like Al said awards and all star games.

You're exactly right. Performance incentives can only go by playing time based stats (innings, appearsances, at bats, etc.) and not on any of the counting stats (HR, RBI, runs, etc.).

Guest NYankees

Jose Vidro has been traded to the Mariners. The Mariners are going to assume 12 million of the 16 that he is owed.

I can't think of too many other players who've fallen faster than Vidro. He was near Vlad Guerrero's level when they were both with the Expos around the turn of the century, in popularity and talent level. He was one of the top 3 second basemen in the league. It's a shame that injuries have hit him so hard the last few seasons. I hope he can turn it back around.

Guest NYankees

I remember reading that his ops has fallen the past 4-5 years every year and that he hasn't had 500 ab's since 2003.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"
Jose Vidro has been traded to the Mariners. The Mariners are going to assume 12 million of the 16 that he is owed.

Sure, free up second base for Alfonso Soriano a few weeks after he's gone.

Guest Smues

The M's gave up Snelling and Fruto AND they're payroll will take a large increase, for Jose Vidro? Boy am I glad I'm not a Mariners fan.

Guest NYankees
What are the M's going to do with Jose Lopez?

I think that they might just put Vidro at dh or something. Bavasi should win GM of the Year.

Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski told WXYT-AM on Wednesday the team had concluded Joel Zumaya's wrist/forearm troubles at the end of the season came from playing the Playstation 2 game Guitar Hero, not anything pitching related.

That sounds so Cubs.

The M's gave up Snelling and Fruto AND they're payroll will take a large increase, for Jose Vidro? Boy am I glad I'm not a Mariners fan.

That's so awful. Chris Snelling, even with his injury concerns, is a better player today than Vidro is, and that's before you factor in age and contract. Bill Bavasi might be the worst GM in baseball. When you're getting hosed by Jim Bowden, it's time to pack your bags and find a new line of work.