TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
At Home

The Harry Potter Spoilers Thread

At this point, I have to wonder how they will do the Malfoy Manor scene in the movie, since Doby played a pivitol role, and he's been cut from the movies entirely.

I have no idea how they can trim it down to movie-length and still explain everything adequately. Maybe they should make it into 2 or something.

I think they could fit it all in a 3 hour movie. I mean, most of the major scenes are action scenes; there's only a few exposition scenes. But how they'll explain some of the things considering what they've cut from previous movies is a different story.

J.K. said the producers are going to have trouble with the later movies.

And they COULD Kill Bill this movie no problem. They might as well and get as much money as they can out of this franchise.

Hmmm...I wonder where they'd split it if they did it in two movies. Maybe after the Gringott's scene? That would set up for an action packed 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part Deux' with the whole movie being the Battle at Hogwarts and the epilogue. Then they could really do the whole final battle and the aftermath justice.

They could always butcher it and make it 2 and a half hours for the casual fans that just go see the movies and don't care to read the books and then have like...an extended cut on DVD for superfans or something.

The backbone of the movie is the search for the Horcruxes and their destruction, so the only things that are "safe" are Gringotts, Battle for Hogwarts, and searching for the sword probably. Possibly the Ministry stuff too but I could also see that being rewritten heavily.

I expect to see entire subplots, like Bill + Fleur, Tonks + Lupin, the wedding and preperations, the death eater attack after the wedding, the visit to Lovegood's house, Dumbledore's checkered past, Rita Skeeter's book, even a lot of the stuff involving wands, to get lifted straight out. I don't remember, was Dobby in the GoF movie? If not, I could see him getting lifted straight out too.

I imagine Harry's visions through Voldemort's mind will be used to deliver vital information that might get cut out from the normal scenes.

I could see a structure like this, which I believe can be done in 2.5 to 3 hours:

-Harry's departure and the big air chase in the 1st ten minutes.

-Re-uniting with everybody... and have Harry/Ron/Hermoine sneak out soon thereafter (thus bypassing all the wedding stuff entirely)

-The camping thing, while they search for the sword (I imagine they might skip the RAB stuff entirely and have Harry/Dumbledore in HBP find the real locket) - Ron leaves the group

-Godric's Hollow, fighting Nagini, and Ron's return

-I expect there to be serious cuts to the way the "Deathly Hallows" are introduced/explained, possibly combining visiting Lovegood and getting captured and taken to Malfoy Mansion

-Move straight to the break-in at Gringotts

-off to Hogwarts for the big battle, the final Horcrux, all that stuff.

I seem to remember Dobby being in GOF briefly, but I can't be sure. As far as what they cut out, if they cut out everything in metr0s post, that's gonna totally ruin a lot of the story and serve to piss off A LOT of people. There's no way they can cut out the stuff about Dumbledore's past, the wands, RAB, the wedding, the Tonks/Lupin baby. Really, I can't think of anything that they can cut out entirely. Some things, like the middle part of the book...some of that can be trimmed, but I definitely can't see how any of the stuff in the book could be cut out and still have the movie be an accurate portrayal of the book and the overall story. And the seventh movie should be the movie that most closely follows the book's plot.

They're not gonna make a 3+ hour movie for the last book, the studio's won't allow it. This ain't LOTR with a mostly adult fanbase, they're movies mostly aimed towards children. A lot will be cut out, no matter what, just like it was with the GoP movie.

A lot will be cut out, no matter what, just like it was with the GoP movie.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Phoenix?

Goblet of Phuck Off

But, yah, no way in hell they'd make the final movie any longer than the others in the series, the studio would be too afraid of losing their massive piles of guaranteed income. They'll have to cut out a whole LOT of shit, just like they did with GoF.

Dumbledore, he's a lot like Hitler.

Only in his youth. And, honestly, how many of us didn't dabble in the ideas of racial purity and ethnic cleansing in youth?

You all are talking about making the movies into faithful adaptations of the books like it has been going on.

That stopped right around the Goblet of Fire.

Absolutely.

There is no hope for this one...What I mean by that is that everyone I've talked to says this book sums everything up nicely.

It brings back old characters, even for just a few sentences. It finishes the story that has been building for most of the books, certainly from book four. Granted, what happened in book 1 isn't really important now, but they certainly did go back go the CoS.

The diner scene has to be in the movie just for the stark change of pace to the world we've been accustomed to. I pictured it as a dirty, sleazy diner. Plus it was kind of a cool scene.

It really doesn't advance the plot, though, so it probably won't make it.

From Mugglenet

JKR announces character reprieve and encyclopedia

In an interview with the Today Show, JK Rowling revealed who the character is that received a reprieve in Deathly Hallows. Highlight between the arrows to read who it is! --> Arthur Weasley <--

Additionally, Jo announced that she "probably will" create a Harry Potter encyclopedia! From NBC's website:

The encyclopedia would include back stories of characters she has already written but had to cut for the sake of narrative arc (“I've said before that Dean Thomas had a much more interesting history than ever appeared in the books”), as well as details about the characters who survive “Deathly Hallows,” characters who continue to live on in Rowling’s mind in a clearly defined magical world.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19935372/

From Mugglenet

In an interview with the Today Show, JK Rowling revealed who the character is that received a reprieve in Deathly Hallows. Highlight between the arrows to read who it is! --> Arthur Weasley <--

Additionally, Jo announced that she "probably will" create a Harry Potter encyclopedia! From NBC's website:

The encyclopedia would include back stories of characters she has already written but had to cut for the sake of narrative arc (“I've said before that Dean Thomas had a much more interesting history than ever appeared in the books”), as well as details about the characters who survive “Deathly Hallows,” characters who continue to live on in Rowling’s mind in a clearly defined magical world.

Why not milk this cash cow?

From Mugglenet

Why not milk this cash cow?

Hell, I'd buy it.

All I could think of when I was reading this book was that it was Harry Potter does Lord of the Rings.

Overall, I thought it was a decent read, but could have done without the Nineteen Years Later bullshit, almost ripped those pages out as soon as I saw them.

Actually I liked the Nineteen Years Later stuff. Harry taking his kids to the station when he was so afraid and confused his first time. Tied everything up nicely.