TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Teal-y Dan

The cops shot a wild cougar.

Guest Teal-y Dan

I can't help but think this was mishandled. Oh well. Olympics in 2016, or something.

"This could've been a real disaster"

COUGAR MASSACRE 2008

EDIT: That's the name of my fuckin' band, dude.

Guest Teal-y Dan

I wonder if this was the same cougar spotted in Milton and Wilmette. They said he came here from South Dakota? That's unbelievable. And they just killed it.

I guess it took 15 bullets to take him out, and the first time he was shot, he ran away and jumped over some stuff. Badass cat. He must have been so fucking scared.

And here I was expecting to see a hot, crazy old lady. :P

But seriously, mishandled in what way? What else would they be expected to do? I don't see too many people willing to volunteer to catch/trap a cougar.

You could tranquilizer the thing.

Did that guy say shout out?

Anyway, pretty fucked up if you ask me. Poor thing.

Has nobody heard of tranquilizers?

Edit: Beat me to it. But seriously, I thought that would be standard procedure in capturing any animal.

Why the fuck is that guy so excited that he called 911?

You'd think once the police were called about a cougar, animal control would have been called/dispatched who would definately have the tools to tranqulize and take the animal back to the wild.

I could understand if the Cougar was going on some killing spree or had already harmed/killed a person, but a cougar randomly wandering around is most likely way too scared of it's surroundings and the people to attack.

Guest Teal-y Dan

It was wrong to kill it because it wasn't hurting anybody. I mean, yeah, it's a cougar, and scary, but it doesn't see humans as prey. Like I said, he was probably scared to death. Cougars aren't used to being in big cities. (Duh.) They should've tranquilized it and returned it to the wild, or to a zoo. I think the problem is that the exurban sprawl is starting to get out of hand. Its habitat is being replaced by big-box strip malls, so it has to move away, but it's only moving into more unfavorable conditions.

It was a year ago that a coyote decided to pick out a beverage at a Quizno's:

coyote5.jpg

Look at that. He's like "I want a green tea. The fuck do YOU want." They were able to just tranquilize the coyote. Why not the cougar? I'm sure the cops are trying to say that they saved lives this way. Whatever. Go back to covering Drew Peterson's ass.

They obviously were chasing it to shoot it in the first place. What else were they going to do when they caught it? Pull a Irwin? Because I just don't by them wrestling with it and saying "look at this beauty".

They were all just looking for the opportunity to say they shot a cougar. Fucking assholes.

They obviously were chasing it to shoot it in the first place. What else were they going to do when they caught it? Pull a Irwin? Because I just don't by them wrestling with it and saying "look at this beauty".

They were all just looking for the opportunity to say they shot a cougar. Fucking assholes.

This from the one who referred to the pussification of society in the 8 girls beating thread? Cops 'go gangsta' on a cougar, and all of a sudden it's completely in the wrong.

Now I'm not going to argue the fact that they should have used a tranquilizer. Probably the best option. But obviously, cops aren't gonna have that kind of equipment, but as far as animal control, all I know is if it's anything like the one in my town, those fuckers take forever and a day to arrive on the scene.

This is a hypothetical, and I know hindsights 20/20, but if, and I'm no animal expert, so yea, maybe the cougar wouldn't have attacked anyone, but if he had, well I'd have to say, if I was the person attacked, I would be one pissed off dude that the cops or someone didn't do something sooner. Straight up shooting it, may not have been the best option, but who knows how long it would have taken to get animal control, or someone who would have "handled the situation properly" to get out there.

In my half-asleep daze, I read the caption as "The cops shot by a wild cougar" and that would've been the greatest story ever. Now I'm just disappointed that it was a standard wild animal in the city report.

Guest Teal-y Dan
I'm not going to argue the fact that they should have used a tranquilizer. Probably the best option. But obviously, cops aren't gonna have that kind of equipment, but as far as animal control, all I know is if it's anything like the one in my town, those fuckers take forever and a day to arrive on the scene.

This is the city of Chicago. I don't think those fuckers should take forever and a day.

That's my only problem with this. I mostly agree with Exslade ZX, except for the fact that they said "We cornered him in an alley, then he jumped at us so we made a split second decision to shoot him". What did they expect to happen when they corner him in an alley? Obviously they were after it to kill it. It would look better on them if they just came out and said "We made a decision to kill the animal before it got the chance to harm anyone.", instead of trying to make it seem like they weren't going to kill it, but had no other choice, as it was coming right for them.

This from the one who referred to the pussification of society in the 8 girls beating thread? Cops 'go gangsta' on a cougar, and all of a sudden it's completely in the wrong.

Bottom line, people just like animals more than people.

If they shot the girl 15 times then I would see the comparison.

Hell, if they shot her one time.

No...if they pulled a gun on her.

OR if they said that they might go get a gun one day...then there would be a comparison.

OR if they said that they might go get a gun one day...then there would be a comparison.

Uh, what?

A girl got severely beaten over some dumb shit on myspace or something like that, and when we say, "What the fuck, man. Bitches be runnin' wild," then it's the pussification of society.

But when the city is literally pussified, and the cops kill a cougar, then they're just fucking assholes. Even though it may have been a threat to the general public.

Cougars are pretty dangerous. If it was in the middle of a big city like that, it obviously wasn't scared of humans. To be honest, it's a wonder it hadn't already killed or attacked someone. I can understand why they shot it.

Guest Teal-y Dan

It's not a wonder! This cat was roaming from Wilmette to the north side for like two weeks now! He clearly wasn't out to kill any people. I mean, if you look at the footage, he's just trying to get away from the people, that's all. So it's reasonable to turn the neighborhood into a warzone, firing shot after shot after shot at a wild animal? Some cop said "it would've taken 15 to 20 minutes for the tranquilizer to take effect." Well, it took you guys 15 to 20 minutes to ultimately Bonnie-and-Clyde him, between the first shot fired and finally cornering him in the gangway. These guys don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. They defend Drew Peterson.

Ok. *Note to self* Correct procedure next time is to beat the cougar into submission.

Correct procedure would be not to corner him with no real plan of attack and then say "Oh no, he's coming right for us!" When you're blocking his only escape route and shoot him dead.

Yeah, and if the cougar gets scared as they're trying to corral it (or whatever genius plan people on here have) and mauls someone, everyone goes "Why didn't the police shoot it when they had the chance?"

It's one of those no win situations where everyone gets to second guess and play armchair animal control person, no matter what.

Guest Teal-y Dan

We wouldn't have to play Armchair Animal Control if Animal Control had been allowed to play Actual Animal Control instead of having the cops treat a wild animal like a fugitive.

Uh, what?

A girl got severely beaten over some dumb shit on myspace or something like that, and when we say, "What the fuck, man. Bitches be runnin' wild," then it's the pussification of society.

But when the city is literally pussified, and the cops kill a cougar, then they're just fucking assholes. Even though it may have been a threat to the general public.

Of for christ sake. You fucking guys lack basic reading skills sometimes.

I SAID that the whol "This is the most violent thing ever" and "what is wrong with the youth...lets blame youtube and the internet" is the pussification of society. never said nothing was wrong with it. I said they should get some YEARS in juvie. Apparently saying they shouldn't get life means I think that all was cool.

And the severe beating featured her face being swollen. There was nothing severe about that beating. She got beat up a little bit. There was nothing about this story that was so horrid that we should be in shock. The fact it was a 4 day Nancey Grace special and numerous reports about how the only reason this happened was because children feel neglected and they need to act out to draw attention and blah blah blah blah blah is fucking pathetic.

SO once again, I don't see how me calling a girl getting kinda beat up, and there being 19 articles, at least 4 cable tv news shows about it, and trying to get those involved life and the declaration that this is the most violent act that has been seen in the area(the same area where a on duty cop raped and killed a 11 year old by the way) a ridicilous overreaction by a over pussified society is the same as saying its wrong to pump 15 shots in a cougar that was running scared for his life and hadn't even as much threatened anyone.

as they're trying to corral it (or whatever genius plan people on here have)

dart_equip.JPG

I can understand why they shot it.

Obviously, it failed the test for its Breathing License.