TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Fartsauce

Bret Hart has a temper tantrum at Pro Wrestling HOF induction

A bizarre incident took place earlier tonight at the Hall of Fame dinner in Waterloo, IA.

Bret Hart was giving a speech, accepting the Hall of Fame honor for father Stu. During the speech, Hart noted Greg Oliver of SlamWrestling, who was there to be given the Jim Melby Memorial Award for wrestling journalism along with writing partner Steve Johnson. Hart went off on Oliver in his speech, and started talking about the sacrifices the wrestlers have made and loved ones lost in the business and said that one of us doesn't deserve to be here and said either he goes or I go. Several of the older wrestlers in attendance gave Hart a standing ovation. Oliver didn't leave, although the report we got was that Johnson did leave to try and diffuse a bad situation.

Hart eventually left when Oliver didn't, and many of the wrestlers left with him and it created an ugly vibe. Hart hasn't liked Oliver dating back to Oliver's book, "Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame: The Canadians," which listed him No. 14 in the list of greatest Canadian wrestlers ever. The book did acknowledge him as the best known of all the Canadian wrestlers but said "Hart can hardly claim to be the best ever."

The situation was videotaped and I presume the tape will get around over the next few days. We hope to have more details forthcoming.

I can understand Bret being a little upset at being #14, but having a huge fit over it and making people leave? I'm a huge fan of the Hitman, but this is starting to get a little ridiculous. There's discussion on the Wrestling Classics board that Bret's medical conditions (stroke, concussions) have been causing this behavior. That's not the case. Bret has been like this dating back to 1997. I hope to see the video of this in the next couple of days.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

It doesn't say that's why he was pissed, just that he'd disliked him since then. Why would the other wrestlers walk out if it was just because of Bret being 14th on a list?

And it's really stupid to think Bret's behavior hasn't been affected by his concussions and especially his stroke.

It doesn't say that's why he was pissed, just that he'd disliked him since then. Why would the other wrestlers walk out if it was just because of Bret being 14th on a list?

And it's really stupid to think Bret's behavior hasn't been affected by his concussions and especially his stroke.

thaank god he doesnt have a family to murder

But Bret's always been a huge mark for himself and his character, and takes everything too seriously.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

I'm not saying his behavior was appropriate just that there was probably more to it than just his ranking on a list. Especially since I read they've attended events at the same time before without Bret getting pissed.

Bret has a lot of issues but he's hardly worse than most wrestlers.

No question, Hart has arguably the biggest ego the industry has ever seen. We've also seen him get a pass due in large part because he's in with Meltzer, who in turn has covered for him when others who have done similar or even less have been unmercifully criticized.

All that said, #14 for Canadian wrestlers? That seems a bit low. I can see his side.

Who are #s 1-13?

I haven't seen the list, but there are guys like Gene Kiniski, Killer Kowalski, Mad Dog Vachon, Eduoard Carpentier, Roddy Piper, Hans Schmidt, Whipper Billy Watson and Pat Patterson who likely occupy top spots. If wrestler/promoters are considered, Stu Hart and Jacques Rougeau Sr. probably rate highly.

here is the list

1. Whipper Billy Watson

2. Yvon Robert

3. Killer Kowalski

4. Mad Dog Vachon

5. Earl McCready

6. Gene Kinski

7. Roddy Piper

8. Sky Low Low/ Little Beaver

9. Ben & Mike Sharpe

10. Stu Hart

11. Abudullah the Bucther

12. John & Chris Tolos

13. Stomper Gouldie

--A few more notes on the deal last night involving Bret Hart at the Waterloo Hall of Fame banquet. Greg Oliver posted at Wrestling Classics that no wrestlers left when Bret Hart did. The message we got from someone there stated some did, and that many of the wrestlers after were congratulating Hart for what he did. It was a real weird scene since Oliver was there to get an award with Steve Johnson. As far as the motivation, it was more based on Oliver's book review for Hart's autobiography than the rankings, although Hart never had much to do with Oliver after the 2003 book came out. Oliver's book review for Hart's book was generally positive, also.

From yesterday's F4W/Observer update.

Love Bret as a wrestler. As a person, he's a big fucking baby who needs to grow the fuck up already.

here is the list

1. Whipper Billy Watson

2. Yvon Robert

3. Killer Kowalski

4. Mad Dog Vachon

5. Earl McCready

6. Gene Kinski

7. Roddy Piper

8. Sky Low Low/ Little Beaver

9. Ben & Mike Sharpe

10. Stu Hart

11. Abudullah the Bucther

12. John & Chris Tolos

13. Stomper Gouldie

Nope, I don't blame him one bit. Although I know Bret travels with this ugly fat blonde lady for events like this (I don't know her name or what her job is I'm assuming its his publicist or agent), but I heard she's a cunt, being rude to wrestling fans who attend to greet Bret, so I wouldn't be surprised if her attitude rubbed off on him.

Yep, just as I suspected the list is ridiculous. Hart had every right to be insulted.

Laugh at Mike Sharpe being anywhere in Hart's stratosphere, this Oliver cat, or whatever his name his, went out of his way to antagonize Hart.

Mike Sharpe? Chris Tolos? Sky Low Low? Okay, I'd be pissed too.

That's Mike Sharpe Sr, not Iron Mike Sharpe.

But yeah, Sky Low Low's a stretch.

Yep, just as I suspected the list is ridiculous. Hart had every right to be insulted.

Nope, I don't blame him one bit.

Get a grip people, Bret threw a pissy fit and embarassed himself in public because of some random list by some random dipshit nobody gave a flying fuck about. It's that kind of paranoia that drove Benoit insane.

Nobody's saying the list was right, they're saying Bret was (once again) classless about something so damn trivial because he is so emphatuated with himself.

This was posted at another board by someone at the event. It clears up some misconceptions, but I don't expect that to stop certain people from making inaccurate statements:

I was actually at this event. There is alot of wrong information...some from Oliver's friend "jayhawk" or whatever.

First off, this whole deal was not about Oliver ranking Bret low on that list. It was mostly about a book review Oliver wrote. Bret started out his speech talking for at least 5 minutes on having respect for the wrestling business, and if you are going to say something you better get it right. Especially if you aren't involved directly yourself, your not one of the boys in the back, and your writing looking from the outside in. He then called out Oliver for being a liar. He mentioned the #14 ranking deal after he had been talking about his disagreements with Oliver, mostly about what he said about his book. Bret talked about writing his book for 7 years and how dare this guy criticize some of the things he did about the book.

Also, from talking with Bret a little later on during the night, I get an idea he was mad about the book Oliver put out so quickly after Benoit's death. Obviously that book was made just to cash in. It didn't have any information in it that wasn't in the papers, and was put on the shelves "before the bodies were cold" so to speak.

The part that Oliver's friend jayhawk on this board got wrong was, Bret DID have the support from the wrestlers in the room. As a matter of fact, Bret got a standing ovation and applause as he left the room. The whole thing was about respect for the wrestling business, simple as that.

It's also worth mentioning that on the F4W Wrestling Observer audio on Sunday night, Meltzer completely disagreed with Bret's position and what he did. Which kind of puts a dent in someone's ongoing misconception about Meltzer being someone who always 'covers him' or whatever it is he claims Meltzer does.

I didn't even know Abdullah the Butcher was Canadian.

He's from my home town. I have petitioned to have our "Welcome to Windsor" signs say "The Birthplace of Abdullah The Butcher" but it was to no avail. I also really didn't do that.

Nope, I don't blame him one bit.

Get a grip people, Bret threw a pissy fit and embarassed himself in public because of some random list by some random dipshit nobody gave a flying fuck about. It's that kind of paranoia that drove Benoit insane.

Nobody's saying the list was right, they're saying Bret was (once again) classless about something so damn trivial because he is so emphatuated with himself.

Emphatuated????

I dont know about invoking Benoit's name into all of this, thats a bit much.

Bret's had a distinguished career, and he felt his body of work was being slighted, so he reacted. We're all humans and that was a human reaction. Did he overreact? Perhaps, but it wasn't over-the-top or dangerous.

And this is coming from someone who has taken great issue with Hart over the years.

It's also worth mentioning that on the F4W Wrestling Observer audio on Sunday night, Meltzer completely disagreed with Bret's position and what he did. Which kind of puts a dent in someone's ongoing misconception about Meltzer being someone who always 'covers him' or whatever it is he claims Meltzer does.

First of all, we're just going by the facts that were presented in this thread. Dont worry, this isn't another conspiracy against Bret *rolls eyes*. In fact, most people here are defending him, including myself.

Oh, and make no mistake about it, this incident has a lot to do with the ranking. Just listen or watch any Hart interview with his incessant self-congratulatory nature and his Canadian sized "everything I did was the greatest" ego and you will know for a fact that his whole self image is wrapped up in his wrestling career. Nothing wrong with it, I guess, but its impossible to deny. The Hart Foundation shoot is hilarious in the way he kept cutting off Niedhart and going on and on about himself.

On to Meltzer, yeah he's covered for Hart over the years, to the detriment of his 'journalistic integrity'. Exhibit A is the SS '97 fallout piece which was just comically one-sided throughout. He didnt once try to take an objective view and blatantly left out key facts --- most importantly that Bret Hart tried to run out on the WWF, to WCW, with the Intercontinental belt in 1992. Plus he always made Hart out to be the innocent victim in political wars with Michaels, Nash, Hall...ext.

As to why Meltzer has changed his tune recently, who knows. Could be that Hart doesnt have any more pull in the business anymore, or perhaps they had a falling out. Whatever the case is, it doesnt change the fact that Meltzer was a glorified P.R agent for Hart and especially Flair for years.

Bret Hart tried to run out on the WWF, to WCW, with the Intercontinental belt in 1992

Okay.. i've never heard this one.

That's because it is untrue.

I've heard a variety of tales like that too, the constant being that he lost his IC Title to the Mountie so he wouldn't run off with it, and the subsequent Mountie/Piper runs were to restructure his contract. I've heard that's bullshit, too. I'm gonna sound like a huge Bret mark here (although I am), but he didn't mention anything about leaving for WCW at that point in his book, in which he was awfully honest.

Bret Hart tried to run out on the WWF, to WCW, with the Intercontinental belt in 1992

Okay.. i've never heard this one.

That's because it is untrue.

Lie. Bret misread his contract and was negotiating with WCW in 1992 while still WWF intercontinental champion. Only reason he didnt jump was because he was still contractually obligated. Meltzer was the one who initially reported this!!!

As everybody has reported, WCW apparently reached a deal with Bret

Hart for Bret to appear on the Clash of Champions live broadcast

on January 21st with his WWF Intercontinental belt. This was of

course meant to be a retaliatory blow against the WWF for using

the NWA belt when Flair jumped. Bret thought that his contract

was up, but, in fact, he can't give notice for another few months

and had to back out of the deal when he realized this. Bret knew

that he would be dropping the belt to the Mountie in Springfield

so that the title could be passed to Roddy Piper. Bret has been

promised the IC Title back at WrestleMania, but that seems kind

of unlikely, unless he turns heel. In the mean time, WCW insists

that Bret is going to come in later this year, and if he does in