TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kinetic

Should I Move to the Pacific Northwest?

Just outside of Seattle. The short version is that my girlfriend wants to move to Raleigh (her hometown) and doesn't want me to go with her, so my options are either going back to Asheville or moving up with my parents in Washington. Living with my parents would obviously be a temporary thing.

Asians, yes, hippies, not so much. The bay area has the most asians and hippies, but Seattle has hipsters and asians.

I'll be moving up to that neck of the woods next year.

Hipsters and Asians works for me. I know it's sort of silly and I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but the one overwhelming positive that I can take from this whole situation is that I finally get to start fucking different bitches.

Guest Vitamin X

Portland has a LOT of hippies. Great pot, lots of good beer, and it generally seems like the kind of place you'd likely fit in well in. Good sports scene up there in Seattle as well, and people there are generally pretty tolerant of folks whose teams are not local. This may be more of a Portland thing than Seattle, though; Seattle has a lot more people who've lived and grown up there, whereas Portland is currently experiencing a huge immigration issue with folks from out of state and out of town (myself included).

I guess you could say there's more to do in Seattle obviously, it's a bigger city, but the people are generally much friendlier and way cooler down here. Watch out for the largest amount of homeless people you've ever had to deal with, though, in both cities. If you throw in San Francisco, I think all three cities can top just about anywhere in the developed world in regards to the numbers.

Also, lots of Asians in San Francisco, in the Pacific Northwest? Not so much. This area is very, VERY white. Seattle is 67.1% white with a fair number of Asians and black folks following and Portland is 77.91% white, with mostly hispanics and blacks following. On a totally unrelated note, both cities have ridiculously low non-theft crime rates for cities of their size.

Guest Vitamin X

And be prepared for people wearing more outdoor clothes on a daily basis than you've ever been used to. Portland business wear seems to consist of those stupid Columbia or North Face fleece jackets, long sleeve plaid or polo shirts, dockers, and hiking boots. Generally speaking, people don't dress very well here, but a lot of folks could view that as a positive thing, I guess.

Like this:

specials88034.jpg

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah he lives just south of Vancouver, BC close to the American border.

.. which is what made it all that much funnier when he said in Maff chat once that he couldn't find Oregon on a map if his life depended on it.

Hey, then we can actually start The Kinect Four

:mellow:

Uh, yeah. It'd be a lot more awesome than you playing guitar for that Asian guy, I tell you what.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Throw some guitar work over Harry Catscabs. I never got any feedback for that, so it must be terrible.

The short version is that my girlfriend wants to move to Raleigh (her hometown) and doesn't want me to go with her...

And you're still calling her your "girlfriend"?

RE the West Coast. When I was out there I liked the time zone being three hours behind EST. That's all I got.

Guest Vitamin X

We all knew that was coming, anyways.

There's probably way more blacks and Mexicans where you live than in the Pacific NW, though.

We all knew that was coming, anyways.

Almost as much as your "grumblegrumble" retort.

Blacks, perhaps. It would depend if you group the city demographics in with the suburbs. Mexicans are another matter. We haven't been hit by the invasion yet. And outside of Carnegie Mellon University, Asians are non-existent.