TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

New Logo

Guest Israeli Mixed Wrestling

It's the old NBC News geometric typeface, where the W looks like two overlapping Vs. It also appears on the cover of White Light/White Heat. Not sure that answers your question or concerns, but the one it replaced was sans-serif too; I think it was a ripoff of Optima (think Vietnam Memorial). You know how it is: it's Tweak Week at TSM. This is when folders get renamed, backlogs of new accounts are approved, and the fact that we have control panel access is generally remembered. We'll be back to our usual complacence and inertia by Thursday.

No, I totally dig the overhaul. I like thinking that TSM can evolve. Makes me feel better about wasting all my time here.

I sort of like the new logo. The box around the type sort of plays tricks with my eyes though. I keep thinking that I have a new PM. But hey, you're the guy with the design background. I'll default to your judgment here.

Can't wait until we start churning out those TSM t-shirts!

It wasn't even that thought out. I figured there just had to be something there to keep the one line of text from floating on the left side of the masthead. It's that or center it (which the brief update glitch sort of did for us).

In talking to Mike to address said glitch, he disclosed that we have a new Invision update coming somewhere down the line, which led me to think that maybe we can introduce a brand-new skin at that time as well. However, I kinda like the color scheme we have right now so it's not as if I'm dead-set on messing with it, and it would be hard to do a cohesive branding of the whole thing with so little space to work with, basically just buttons and a masthead. It may not be worth the effort in basing everything around a certain palette and typeface for just a few postage-stamp-sized things, which half the board would surely dislike anyway. I'd like to make new buttons in line with Geometric Bold (or any other typeface) and without the cheesy little Invision-y icons like arrows and sheets of paper, but again, not sure if it's worth it. I tried my hand at microdesign in 2005 when Fridge and I came up with the skin for The Pit (responsible for nicknaming it The Green Board) and in all honesty, I didn't have it down yet. The icons are mostly lost to the ages, but a lot of them were blocky, filtery, sometimes illegible, and often sloppy. I'll give it some thought, try my marginally improved hand at making new buttons, assess public opinion, and we'll go from there. So maybe that will end up being a placeholder. I don't know. We'll see.

Whether the changes are good or bad, awesome or disastrous, I will likely make fun of people for being excited about BIGGER AVATARS~! until the end of time.

Unless of course "bigger avatars" is code for "getting rid of Canadian ...", then yes, much needed (and should probably be explained as such).

Yeah, blues are nice and easy on the eyes. I remember when I did the Pit scheme, I went with greens and creams, going for some sort of a warm library-ish look. Had I known the discourse would eventually devolve into "rape victims have it coming" and "my co-worker dissed American Idol in the breakroom today :angry:," I would've gone in a different direction. Incidentally, I was putzing around with the poster tournament brackets earlier this evening and decided I'd do this year's regions in variations on the old '90s Utah Jazz colors, but the viability of purple/teal/columbia/copper (not totally coincidentally colors of the board staff, because I really really love that color scheme) as the palette for an Invision skin is dubious. At best.

Anyway, we'll see which typefaces are lying around and would be conducive to being The TSM Font. Gotham and Optima are awesome, but those are the ones the recent presidential candidates used, so we're all a little fried on those, are we not. Interstate turned out to be eminently readable and hence it's spreading like gonorrhea in a college town. Any suggestions, guys? It has to look good when it's tiny.

Can't wait until we start churning out those TSM t-shirts!

If McKenzie can be convinced that it's a profitable venture, I have no doubt that it'd be a go.

It's only in "TSM Pro." You're still slumming it on the original skin?

While we're in the mood for change, is it necessary to have the logo as a link, as well as "TSM Forums" and "TheSmartMarks.com" right below it as linksto virtually the same places?

Guest Vitamin X

I'm also rocking the original skin. I was never too fond of black; looked too much like a generic message board. The blue symbolizes TSM to me.

It's only in "TSM Pro." You're still slumming it on the original skin?

I still rock the original skin.

Bob's dream is for the board to magically revert to 2003.

I like the original skin and I don't like change.

I'm also rocking the original skin. I was never too fond of black; looked too much like a generic message board. The blue symbolizes TSM to me.

The skin for which the new logo was designed has no black except for text; it's a bunch of blue-greys. What you're seeing as black is kind of a steel blue, for lack of a better term (well, the better term is "hex#303B4A"). Ironically, the old light blue skin with Verdana is a generic message board. I like the new skin much better, since Arial is an easier and cleaner read than Verdana. Too bad we never had a distinct look right out of the Invision gate, but then again consider the two distinct looks that we had before this one: eye-scorching yellow with blue trim, and light blue with scattered squiggles and shapes like wrapping paper for a three-year-old boy's birthday present.

While we're in the mood for change, is it necessary to have the logo as a link, as well as "TSM Forums" and "TheSmartMarks.com" right below it as linksto virtually the same places?

Absolutely not. Problem is, I'm not very good at being an administrator, so I've yet to figure out how to jettison that TheSmartMarks.com/home link in the header that takes you to a weird layout with blogs, calendars, and ostensibly newest posts. It's not necessary at all, and I'd like to get rid of that link as well as the "TSM Forums" below it. I'm just not sure if or how I can do this.