TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Oscar Nominations Thread

I find this more annoying than most years. Usually the stuff I like most that year doesn't get nominated...but it's fine because I understand that the things I like don't fit that mold.

This year I liked one of the best reviewed movies of the year, that got nominations from all of the guilds, and made a BILLION dollars...and the Bruce Springsteen song from a fantastic indy flick.

At least I get to see Downey Jr.'s sad face when Ledger wins his oscar.

"FUCK DC Comics, man..."

Look, I wouldn't have been as annoyed by this if Nolan had at least got Best Director, cause alot of years there's one guy who gets nominated for directing but the flick doesn't get Best Pic.

But Stephen Daldry? Seriously? This guy is like the Michael Bay of art films, he has no personal voice, his style is all "I make prestiege films like The Hours"

I mean, this guy has directed 3 films in eight years, and each time he gets nominated. And he's never a front runner, he's just...there.

Best Supporting Actress Javier Bardem, 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona' Colin Farrell, 'In Bruges' James Franco, 'Pineapple Express' Brendan Gleeson, 'In Bruges' Dustin Hoffman, 'Last Chance Harvey'

That is from Aol for the Oscar Nominees.

Well that's not who get nominated!

I like how the Academy is trying to overhaul the show this year to get ratings, yet somehow The Reader gets a bunch of nominations.

And Bruce Springsteen AND Clint Eastwood getting snubbed for Best Song? Sucks to be Hugh Jackman,

Best Supporting Actress...Dustin Hoffman, 'Last Chance Harvey'

That is from Aol for the Oscar Nominees.

Hoffman's in drag again!!

I'm betting TDK will NOT win any of it's 8 nominations. I'm looking for an upset in the BSA category. Oscar's only done one posthumous winner (Peter Finch), and I think they like to keep it that way. If Ledger wins, then color me surprised.

I think I'm the only one here who actually saw The Reader.

Spoiler alert: It's not that good.

Unless you want to see Kate Winslet fuck an 18-year old boy nonstop

That's exactly what kills me bob. The Reader has no chance at winning...and neither would Dark Knight. So why nominate the movie no one saw when you can make people feel like your award show is relevent to what people who watch movies actually think? And it's not like you'd be nominating some mindless big budget summer popcorn film...it was one of the best reviewed movies of the year.

Let's do a little rottentomatoes search:

The Reader - 60% (seriously. SIXTY percent of reviewers thought it was good)

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 72%

Frost/Nixon - 91%

Milk - 92%

Slumdog Millionaire - 95%

Muthafuckin Batman - 94%

Let's go to metacritic-

The Reader- 58

Slumdog Millionaire- 86

Milk- 84

Button- 69

Frost/Nixon- 80

TDK- 82

That's basically the first 30 minutes of the movie. I was like: I get it, they have lots of sex. You see the kid's dick though, which I did not expected.

Michael Shannon being nominated is awesome, but fuck you Melissa Leo. I see 119 movies and for once I thought I would see every film in the major category....but no.

Look, I realize these awards are silly when you think about it.

But dangitt, I'll say this, if The Dark Knight had come out in December, might've been a different story.

Or May, cause Crash and Braveheart came out in May

Remmember when the Oscars nominated summer movies that were critical favs too? Like Apollo 13?

I bet you The Reader was only nominated because of Ralph Fiennes. He's one of those douches that the Academy loves. then again he wasn't nominated for best actor so maybe i'm wrong.

(i dont actually think he's a douche, he's a good actor, but still)

I'm very happy that Richard Jenkins, Michael Shannon, Melissa Leo, and Werner Herzog got nominated.

That is true.

...well I have no idea who Jenkins is and I haven't seen Frozen River, admittedly. But I'm an old fan of Leo from Homicide, Werner Herzog rules the fucking world in everything he ever does, and Michael Shannon was the only part I really liked about Revolutionary Road.

Reading various critics and websites, the consensus seems to be: "The fucking Reader? REALLY?"

I bet you The Reader was only nominated because of Ralph Fiennes. He's one of those douches that the Academy loves. Then again he wasn't nominated for Best Actor so maybe i'm wrong.

(I dont actually think he's a douche, he's a good actor, but still)

It's because of Winslet and the Weinsteins.

well I have no idea who Jenkins is

Seriously? He was in Burn After Reading and Step Brothers. I have no problem with the nomination. I didn't like The Visitor as much as most, but he was really good.

And Jingus, Wanted was amazing. Don't hate.

Well, now that the nominees are over, the real question can begin...

What clip from Tropic Thunder should be used for Downey Jr's clip?

A bit torn on whether to root for Rourke or Langella in the Best Actor.

Loved Rourke in the Wrestler, he was pretty iconic, but i'm also starting to feel a teensy bit of backlash feeling in that it might be over-praised.

Langella was just as good imo, the whole "we're gonna make em choke!" late night phone call (I read Frost's book, that one of the few 100% fictionalized scenes in the movie) was just phenomenal.

I know the Academy :wub: them some Weinsteins, but I don't think Winslet is that much of a deciding factor. If she was, she would've won an Oscar by now. (And if you haven't seen her riff on that subject in her episode of Extras, watch it yesterday.) (And hey, if she does happen to win here, that proves her theory stated in that show was correct!) She just happens to pick a lot of projects which are the exact kind of movies the Academy gets erections for: historical dramas with lots of period costumes and mostly unhappy endings.

And Jingus, Wanted was amazing. Don't hate.

Yeah, amazing that movies are still shamelessly ripping off The Matrix a full decade later. Plus, it was one of those dreaded comic book movies which they fucked around with so hard during the adaptation process that the finished movie bears absolutely zero resemblence to the source material. And the next good action flick I see starring Angelina Jolie will be the first one.

Yeah, amazing that movies are still shamelessly ripping off The Matrix a full decade later. Plus, it was one of those dreaded comic book movies which they fucked around with so hard during the adaptation process that the finished movie bears absolutely zero resemblence to the source material. And the next good action flick I see starring Angelina Jolie will be the first one.

I never read the comic book, so I don't care what they changed. Aside from TDK, I don't think I had more fun seeing a movie than Wanted this year. It was so refreshing to see an action movie that was happily rated R and was all about stuff getting fucked up.

If it wasn't for the last bit of the train sequence, it would've been in my top 10 easily. I even saw it twice to make sure the first time I saw it wasn't a fluke.

Nothing will top McAvoy hitting the guy in the face with the keyboard and fuck you flying out.

Also, Winslet was nominated everywhere for supporting actress for The Reader. I don't have a problem with that since I guess she's the lead actress, I just found it strange.

Nothing will top McAvoy hitting the guy in the face with the keyboard and fuck you flying out.

That scene was the one thing I liked about the movie. It's funny because I just had a conversation with my friend at work a few days ago where I told him the movie is awful...but there's this one awesome scene where he goes off on his boss and keyboards his friend.

Worst example ever. Everything about the Matrix is borrowed or poached from other stories.

Best animated feature film of the year

* “Bolt” (Walt Disney), Chris Williams and Byron Howard

* “Kung Fu Panda” (DreamWorks Animation, Distributed by Paramount), John Stevenson and Mark Osborne

* “WALL-E” (Walt Disney), Andrew Stanton

That's all they could come up with. What a farce.