TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lil' Bitch

And so my media posting days are over along with

Not that I got in trouble or anything, but I'm not gonna risk it. Just a heads up to everybody, this is a copy of an e-mail from WWE to a guy who owned a site hosting wrestling media:

Re: Unauthorized Use of World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. Intellectual Property: "WWE shows/entrance theme music "

Our File: WWE USA INF 49

Dear Mr. Jarosz:

World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. ("WWE") is the exclusive owner of numerous trademarks, service marks, and copyrights, including numerous copyrights for WWE pay-per-views, television shows, home videos and entrance theme music. As owner of numerous copyrights for the WWE pay-per-views, television shows, home videos, and entrance theme music, we vigilantly protect our copyrighted works and will not tolerate any infringement of the same.

WWE has recently acquired evidence that you are infringing our copyrights, specifically, by offering WWE televised shows and entrance theme music for free download on your www.mikeswwe.com website. Your offering of WWE's copyrighted works for free download constitutes actionable copyright infringement (17 U.S.C. §501). Under U.S. Copyright law, we may be able to obtain actual damages plus any additional profits you made on the infringing products, or statutory damages of up to $150,000 per work infringed, counsel fees and costs (17 U.S.C. §504, 505). In addition, under U.S. Federal Criminal law, you may face criminal sanctions, including imprisonment and fines (18 U.S.C. §2319).

In the interest of avoiding costly legal proceedings, we demand that you:

1. immediately and permanently cease offering any WWE copyrighted works for free download on your www.mikeswwe.com website, and agree not to copy, and/or offer for download, any WWE copyrighted works, now or in the future;

2. immediately remove all listings for WWE copyrighted works from your www.mikeswwe.com website;

3. confirm in writing that you have complied with all of WWE's demands by signing and returning a copy of the Acknowledgement and Agreement included below.

The demands made herein are not made to the exclusion of other remedies to which WWE is entitled and WWE specifically reserves the right to seek all remedies available to it under federal law as a result of your infringing activities. In addition, by signing this document in the space provided below, and agreeing to cooperate as set forth herein, you represent that you are the owner of the www.mikeswwe.com website.

If we do not hear from you by April 11, 2004, we shall be forced to take further legal action.

Sincerely,

Stacy L. DelPriore

Associate Counsel

And thank you Vince for keeping footage we'll probably never again.

And if anything you'd actually posted was readily available for those of us who want to see it, I might give a shit about WWE's legal department caving in on it.

Hey, if WWE 24/7 lives up to its potential, then no problem, but as of right now you're not losing money off something that isn't for sale.

Guest sean pyro

First off the guys a jackass for buying a domain called MIKESWWE, what did he have FREEDOWNLOADS in the title too? and second I don't really care if the WWE kills off all the wrestling media sites anyways, ain't like they anything worth a damn for download.

I know they would sure as hell like to but the WWE can't shut down the internet and that's the only way the WWE could stop the online capping and distributing of their product.

I know they would sure as hell like to but the WWE can't shut down the internet and that's the only way the WWE could stop the online capping and distributing of their product.

:huh:

Let's be serious here. The company is cracking down before the debut of WWE 24/7, and they're already on the path to removing ALL material (those that violate their copyrights) from these websites.

They have 3 employees used solely to scour the internet and find sites that infringe on their copyright laws. Once found, they threaten legal action against the webmaster or distributor of the content. Additionally, they already have a contract with eBay that removes any listing they deem illegal.

Guest sean pyro

Big deal they closed down the WEBSITES so what..

Can they close down the IRC networks?

Can they close down UseNet and Newsgroups?

Can they stop people from having private torrent trackers?

What are they going do to send Hunter to every computer store in the world stopping kids from buying capture cards?

Were still going to be able to download VCD quality and higher caps of their shit 6 hours after it airs if they like it or not.

They can't do shit.

They can't do shit.

That's a good portion of people who distribute media - some do it to encourage traffic to their websites (NoDQ, Sledgehammer, Wrestlefury) and some do it to build themselves up (users who create music videos).

If websites keep linking to high-traffic IRC channels that distribute media, they can find individual users. That's about it for that channel of distribution, though.

Individual users, yes.

EDIT: "Individual users" means individual users of the newsgroups.

No. Not a torrent expert here, so here's a quick question: are the seeders revealed by username?

Guest Hot Ticket

Congrats Vince. He IS doing the right thing if hes startin up 24/7.

No, you really can't shut down newsgroups. Most posters use another service to post other than their ISP, and those are reluctant to give up user information unelss the WWE is really serious enough to go to court to have the address pulled. I doubt they are, and that this is just intimidation.

I expect to see Orlando Jordan become WWE Champion before they can successfully go after newsgroups.

Sorry Deon. :( All of your stuff will be sorely missed, friend.

No, you really can't shut down newsgroups.

...that's because I said individual users of the newsgroups.

Most posters use another service to post other than their ISP, and those are reluctant to give up user information unelss the WWE is really serious enough to go to court to have the address pulled. I doubt they are, and that this is just intimidation.

If the charges are serious enough, the ISP won't risk a lawsuit against THEM by refusing to divulge individual user's informatioon.

If they went through the trouble of contacting webmasters who host media, as well as filing lawsuits against eBay users who illegally sell dubbed copies of their shows, they'll ask ISP's to divulge information on those who infringe on their copyrights.

No, you really can't shut down newsgroups.

...that's because I said individual users of the newsgroups.

If the charges are serious enough, the ISP won't risk a lawsuit against THEM by refusing to divulge individual user's informatioon.

If they went through the trouble of contacting webmasters who host media, as well as filing lawsuits against eBay users who illegally sell dubbed copies of their shows, they'll ask ISP's to divulge information on those who infringe on their copyrights.

No, you seem to not understand.

The newsgroup services intentionally go out of their way to not give out your privacy, unless a court orders them to.

I don't think WWE is interested enough in this shit to actually go to court. They are sending letters saying they might go to court because they know most people will see that and fold immediately. And more and more providers go up all the time.

Even the RIAA and MPAA have not bothered to go after newsgroups. I don't think they'll be shut down, ever. It's not like BitTorrent or Kazaa where your IP address is sitting there for all to see. And even in those cases, most ISPs just forward a "We received a complaint, stop sharing those files" letters to their customer and don't follow up on it unless it happens again.

WWE can't afford the time or money to sit and go after individual users RIAA style. Again, this letter is just a big scary threat because they know the user will simply stop instead of challenge it.

WWE can't afford the time or money to sit and go after individual users RIAA style. Again, this letter is just a big scary threat because they know the user will simply stop instead of challenge it.

OF COURSE they'll just threaten these users with legal action - it's not worth the trouble. They're simply going to target the websites and eBay users (which they have been doing), because it is the easiest avenue to pursue. Websites are the quickest way for any Joe Blow to find copyrighted media, which is the legal department's main concern.

What I was trying to say, was that it's possible for the WWE to pursue newsgroup and IRC users - that's all it is. It's simply not cost-effective or logical for the WWE legal department to chase these users down.

What are they going do to send Hunter to every computer store in the world stopping kids from buying capture cards?

Were still going to be able to download VCD quality and higher caps of their shit 6 hours after it airs if they like it or not.

They can't do shit.

Next week on RAW....

<cue to 17 year old kid's room in suburbs>

Kid: "Allright...I'm downloading the Chavo-Jackie match from this illegal internet site"

<MOTORHEAD>

HHH--"You-uh, are stealing from my Dad-uh. Knock it off-uh"

Smashes cpu with sledgehammer. Spits water.

What, you think they wouldn't do it?

Curious thought: In cases like this where someone brings the hammer down, would they still pursue if you complied totally, but sent back some kind of backhanded remark like "Yeah I removed it, but fuck you", could they still bring suit just because you weren't cordial about it?

I've always figured that if I were to ever be in this situation, I'd cooperate, but I'd love to let them now how I really feel at the same time

Guest Hayabusa Moleman
No. Not a torrent expert here, so here's a quick question: are the seeders revealed by username?

You can see everyone's IP address that you are connected to on BT. It's not the safest form of file distribution, but it is probably the quickest/most efficient.

Is it illegal to have music videos with clips from various things? I always thought that was in the grey range because I remember going to a Toonami site where they hosted a fan made Gundam music video

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking
Is it illegal to have music videos with clips from various things? I always thought that was in the grey range because I remember going to a Toonami site where they hosted a fan made Gundam music video

Yeah, but that's promoted properly.

Damn Deon, that sucks. Maybe you can give people the links through p_pm.gif. Or maybe you can't.

Noone'll know!

Damn Deon, that sucks. Maybe you can give people the links through p_pm.gif. Or maybe you can't.

Noone'll know!

I'm sorry, what do you mean by "properly promoted"? That they actually advertise Gundam stuff?

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

Noone'll know!

I'm sorry, what do you mean by "properly promoted"? That they actually advertise Gundam stuff?

I just mean that it's the site that's running it.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I still think Best Brains has the best policy towards this. They look the other way for anything that's not commercially released and they don't have any problems over it. I think if the WWF knows it's never going to use certain footage, non-Flair NWA stuff, they should look the other way.

Guest Ray
the future death of all wrestling media

You say that as if Vince owns EVERYTHING. He doesn't.

Now I'm off to download more Kawada matches....

Damn that Vince for protecting his copyrighted material. Damn him to hell!

Seriously, if I owned the rights to that footage I'd be pretty damn nasty about protecting it too.

Guest Dynamite Kido
the future death of all wrestling media

You say that as if Vince owns EVERYTHING. He doesn't.

Now I'm off to download more Kawada matches....

Now YOU my friend have the right idea.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

They can't do shit.

Next week on RAW....

<cue to 17 year old kid's room in suburbs>

Kid: "Allright...I'm downloading the Chavo-Jackie match from this illegal internet site"

<MOTORHEAD>

HHH--"You-uh, are stealing from my Dad-uh. Knock it off-uh"

Smashes cpu with sledgehammer. Spits water.

What, you think they wouldn't do it?

You forgot to make the guy dowloading WWE matches Jericho.

Oh and these jokes are beyond tired.

I still think Best Brains has the best policy towards this. They look the other way for anything that's not commercially released and they don't have any problems over it. I think if the WWF knows it's never going to use certain footage, non-Flair NWA stuff, they should look the other way.

Yeah, and WWE has new content constantly, and chances are a typical Raw match or promo is not going to be commercially released at all except as maybe an extra on a DVD.

Granted, I'd trust the scruples of a typical MiSTie over a typical WWE fan, but the point still stands.

Seriously, if I owned the rights to that footage I'd be pretty damn nasty about protecting it too.

So would I. But I'd also look at what some people were downloading or buying off ebay and going "Maybe I ought to release that for commercial sale."

Vince McMahon hasn't quite figured that part out yet.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

So would I. But I'd also look at what some people were downloading or buying off ebay and going "Maybe I ought to release that for commercial sale."

Vince McMahon hasn't quite figured that part out yet.

Maybe he doesn't want to oversaturate a genre market.

That's possible.

But it's not like someone's out there downloading every match Israel Matia ever had either.

I know damn well that there's a market for all those MSG shows that aired on the MSG Network, and he might release one MSG match as a DVD extra...and there were usually better matches on that card.