TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest SweetNSexyDiva

Which artists do you think are over-rated?

Guest SweetNSexyDiva

I think Ashanti is given more credit than she deserves. She has been compared with Aaliyah, but I don't think she comes close. She's cute and all, but I don't think she has that much talent.

J-Lo, okay, she knows how to move and sell herself, but she isn't a fantastic singer either. I think it is just a lot of hype when it comes to J-Lo. There are lots of hot singers out there, like Kylie Minogue, Willa Ford... Why is she so much more visible?

Just my opinions....

Guest Youth N Asia

-Madonna

-Tool

-White Stripes...I know the whole garage thing is in now, but I'm not overly impressed.

-Queens of the Stone Age...I think they're alright, but I don't see what the big deal is.

I would say Limp Bizkit, put it's pretty much well known they're a joke

The Garage thing was generally over in 2001 I think...

Are we talking about overrated by people who matter? Anyone with a brain knows all the females mentioned in the thread suck, so that's not much news.

Not that they suck, and I'm not hatin' on them, but I don't get the big deal with Wilco, or more specifically YHF. Just a decent pop album to me. Can someone enlighten me please?

Guest stardust

*prepares to be flamed*

The White Stripes, The Hives, The Vines, The Strokes...they all sound the same to me, and I just don't get what all the hype has been about.

And YNA, I completely agree with you about Queens of the Stoned Age. They're okay and all, but I really don't understand why everyone thinks "No One Knows" is such a great song. Maybe my taste in music doesn't go with what the critics think is great (or something like that), but I honestly change the station every time that song comes on.

And everyone knows Ja Rule is nothing but a joke, and yet he's still "rapping" and making money (and now movies--God help us). Yeah, he's way overrated.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Every artist in the history of music is overrated to somebody.

Guest The Metal Maniac
but I really don't understand why everyone thinks "No One Knows" is such a great song.

It's because they're a stoner rock band. As such, people who listen to them tend to be stoned.

And music, like everything else, just gets much better while you're stoned.

I second, third, and fourth Radiohead. God, I hate this band, and I honestly can't see why people like them.

I have to agree with Youth. The White Stripes are overrated as hell, same for Queens of the Stone Age.

I'm going to say that Coldplay is vastly overrated. I'm no huge radiohead fan, and to me, they seem like a poor-man's version of Yorke and Co.

Guest razazteca

I kind of like the whiny crybaby British Rock of Radiohead.

As for over rated I would have to say American Idol winner Kelly.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

I'll have to stick to my Metallica guns. Never got why an average thrash band who wasn't even the best band in their scene at the time, was blessed with the "greatest metal band ever" crown. Give me someone who doesn't sing cheese dick ballads for the metal category. I'm not a huge metal guy (not real metal anyways) but even I know Slayer kills them dead in the water. Pantera too.

Tool is a bit over rated at times, although I love them anyways. Some of the 7 minute atmospheric breakdowns are unnecessary and a bit pretentious.

Madonna. Nuff said.

Guest Youth N Asia

I like Coldplay, but outside of the hits they're pretty boring

Guest Youth N Asia

I'm just shocked this thread hasn't turned as vicious as the same discussion here has in the past.

Guest EricMM

I dunno I really like Tool, The White Stripes, Radiohead, and Queens of the Stoneage, at least somewhat.

Why do you think they're over rated? You think they're BAD or just not as good as people say or what?

Guest papacita
The whole Rocafella family

Awww...come on. You know you love Freeway. Admit it!

I agree with Ashanti (I know a lot of people who say that she flat out can't sing). I dunno how much J-Lo has been praised for her singing though. I think it's probably more of a name recognition thing with her.

I think 50 Cent is kinda overrated.

Guest saturnmark4life

I just don't see how Tool or Radiohead are overrated. At all. I can understand not liking them, but radiohead in particular are extremely versatile and manage to appeal to a vast audience whilst being experimental and pioneering at the same time. I don't actually listen to them much, but I appreciate them. I can see how you could view tool as repetitive in a sense, but barely, and comments about their being untalented are beyond me.

Coldplay.........I've said my piece on Coldplay. But for clarification purposes, Chris Martin is a complete and utter twat, with an IQ of around 24. He probably doesn't even know the names of the rest of his session musicians offhand. He can't hold notes, or really sing at all. He stabs the shit out of one fucking chord for up to five minutes, and is hailed as beautiful. I forced myself to vomit across the table of one establishment because 'the scientist' was on the jukebox. I just fucking hate coldplay.

I hate the white stripes, but only because they fucking blew when I saw them live. The music is passable, in some cases. I do, however, accept that they are a gimmick, and thus the main problem they have is they got too big. I mean, they'd be a killer supporting act. The Hives are a good act as well, you have to understand that. The problem is they are received by the media as great bands, when they are pretty much designed to be a flavour of the month. I'll admit that's what AWK is as well, but whether by accident or not he made a classic album. By himself.

I think Madonna is nigh on completely untalented. As is J-Lo, who I've never found to be hugely attractive either, a point I at least concede for a few pop 'icons'.

U2. I mean, why? What do they have? An average rock band. That's it.

I should point out I'm not just listing people that I flat-out don't like for no particular reason, I geniunely don't understand why any of them are as popular as they are. For example, I don't really listen to the beatles, (or have anything against them) but I appreciate them.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

In defense of Tool:

They've managed to put out 4 studio albums, all of which sound different, have great songs that are enjoyable in different ways, and manage to make me listen to the whole thing, as opposed to just certain tracks.

They're a perfect amalgam of something slightly heavy, with early-Watters Floyd and King Crimson influence on the last two albums.

They're very sound technically, especially the rhythm section. For guitar riffs..well, you're not going to get any blow away stuff, but everything he does manages to fit perfectly and keep up with the vocals and drums/bass.

They are also PHENOMENAL live, with such great energy and presence, as well as nailing everything dead on. Moreso than almost every band I've ever seen live. They were definitely a top-notch show, so it's not just studio magic.

Guest BAR

Basically every pop-rock-punk-pop-hip-pop all of that shit on MTV. Oh, and Nirvana.

Guest Plushy Al Logan

Where's my Suck list when you need it?

Nirvana

Metallica

Madonna

Avril Lavigne

Pretty much anything on MTV

J 'Lo

Guest Kinetic

Pointing to Radiohead as an example of "whiny, crybaby" music only demonstrates that you don't understand what they're doing. Thom Yorke's voice may sound like a sine wave played through a blender, but there's little to no crybaby action going on in their music. And anyone who cites "Creep" as an example to the contrary is welcome to join me in the year 2003 any time they'd like.

Nirvana was the mainstream reaffirmation that rock music could actually still be interesting and dangerous and affect any sort of widespread social change. The fact that almost every single band to emerge in their wake has been terrible can hardly be blamed on them. That they copped a lot of their attitude and sound from other 80s indie rock bands is indisputable, but also irrelevant. Their two proper major label studio albums are just as good as all but a handful of the records by those bands and anyone who claims otherwise has most likely never heard anything beyond the Pixies. Nirvana was the last dying gasp of rock music as a viable mainstream entity, and for that they cannot be overrated.

Guest Midnight Express83
Every artist in the history of music is overrated to somebody.

that sums it up. Saying someone is overrated is a slap in the face to people who some are underrated, and vice versa. It is hard to say that anyone is really overrated. To be such you would need NO talent and be big just because of other talents.

Pop music/MTV music is underrated on this board because it is mainstream and anything mainstream is bad or some shit.

Guest IDrinkRatsMilk

I don't think Tool or Radiohead suck, in fact, I like them both, I just don't feel they're as good as people say.

Guest Plushy Al Logan
Pop music/MTV music is underrated on this board because it is mainstream and anything mainstream is bad or some shit.

Most mainstream today is obnoxious, and will not go away (Thank God for Literature, and movies).

Guest Sturgis
The Offspring

When have The Offspring ever been overated? To me they seemed like a band that always got stuck in the middle and eventullay overshadowed by someone else.

Guest Youth N Asia

I think everyone knows the Offspring are a joke/punk/pop/rock band. I love their stuff but I don't think they're great artists.