TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

On a recent edition of Wrestlecrap, they mentioned the episode where Rocky King and Barry Horowitz became honorary Freebirds. What was the deal with that?

Guest jm29195

I'm sure I was looking through a load of old colliseum videos a while back and saw a Shawn Michaels vs Roddy Piper singles match listed on one- can anyone tell me which one it was as I can't seem to find it now and am sure I'm not just making it up!!!

I'm sure I was looking through a load of old colliseum videos a while back and saw a Shawn Michaels vs Roddy Piper singles match listed on one- can anyone tell me which one it was as I can't seem to find it now and am sure I'm not just making it up!!!

1992 The Year In Review.

Weren't Hogan and Beefacake already kind of friends on TV before that? I seem to remember Beefcake coming to Hogan's aid on the Megapowers explode episdoe of SNME. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Yeah but that was just "random mid card babyface checks over Hogan".

Guest jm29195
I have the listings for the 4 WWF Supertapes on your website, does anyone here, know whether the following matches are any good?

Supertape 1

Mr. Perfect vs. Rugged Ronnie Garvin, WWF 12th December 1989

Ted Dibiase vs. Jake "The Snake" Roberts, WWF 24th April 1989 @ MSG

Supertape 2

The Rockers (Shawn Michaels and Marty Janetty) vs. The Powers of Pain (The Barbarian and The Warlord), WWF @ Madison Square Gardens January 15th 1990

Bret "The Hitman" Hart vs. Rick Martel, WWF @ Madison Square Gardens 19th March 1990

Rowdy Roddy Piper vs. Rick Rude in a steel cage match, WWF @ Madison Square Gardens 28th December 1989

Supertape 3

Mr. Perfect vs. Kerry Von Erich for the Intercontinental Title, WWF 16th September 1990

The Legion of Doom and The Ultimate Warrior vs. Demolition (All 3 Members including Crush, Smash and Ax), WWF 21st September 1990 @ Madison Square Gardens

Supertape 4

Mr. Perfect vs. Kerry Von Erich, WWF 12th December 1990

The Big Bossman vs. The Barbarian, WWF 1990

Shawn Michaels vs. Crush, WWF Prime Time 18th February 1991

Cheers

James

Ted Dibiase vs. Jake "The Snake" Roberts, WWF 24th April 1989 @ MSG

You really can't go wrong with any DiBiase/Roberts match. They always had chemistry, and their matches were regularly in the ***-**** range.

Mr. Perfect vs. Rugged Ronnie Garvin, WWF 12th December 1989

Bret "The Hitman" Hart vs. Rick Martel, WWF @ Madison Square Gardens 19th March 1990

These are both ok. Nothing great, but you probably won't feel you wasted your time after watching them.

The Rockers (Shawn Michaels and Marty Janetty) vs. The Powers of Pain (The Barbarian and The Warlord), WWF @ Madison Square Gardens January 15th 1990

A standard big guy/little guy tag match, with The Rockers bumping like crazy to get over the 'roid boys.

Rowdy Roddy Piper vs. Rick Rude in a steel cage match, WWF @ Madison Square Gardens 28th December 1989

A nice enough brawl, with a few twists along the way. It also has Rude, I think, bleeding a little.

Mr. Perfect vs. Kerry Von Erich for the Intercontinental Title, WWF 16th September 1990

The Legion of Doom and The Ultimate Warrior vs. Demolition (All 3 Members including Crush, Smash and Ax), WWF 21st September 1990 @ Madison Square Gardens

Mr. Perfect vs. Kerry Von Erich, WWF 12th December 1990

You can skip these.

Guest jm29195

Cool cheers HTQ, you know your stuff, I don't suppose you'd be able to recommend any other 'hidden gems' from the old early 90's Colliseum back catalogue, a lot of those videos don't have full listings on the back and can be hard to sit through when you don't know what's next. Any help and recommendations greatly appreciated!

Cool cheers HTQ, you know your stuff, I don't suppose you'd be able to recommend any other 'hidden gems' from the old early 90's Colliseum back catalogue, a lot of those videos don't have full listings on the back and can be hard to sit through when you don't know what's next. Any help and recommendations greatly appreciated!

If you want a full listing of CHV matches (or 95% full) try this:

http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling/cawthon777/video.htm

Guest CookieMueller

Who did Adrian Street write "Mighty Big Girl" about? As you may suspect, I ask because of Foley's mention of dating the woman in his first book. I've looked a few times, but never did know the answer for certain.

Guest CookieMueller

Foley said that during the mid-to-late 80s he dated a "veteran" indie women's wrestler. He didn't want to say her name but said something to the effect of "Here's a hint - Adrian Street wrote 'Mighty Big Girl' about her".

I'm pretty sure Adrian was already married to/seriously commited to Linda by this point.

1.) Is "Eye of The Tiger" intact on the CHV of Wrestlemania 1?

2.) When did Hogan switch from "Eye of The Tiger" to "Real American" ?

3.) When did Mr. Perfect, Ted Dibiase, and Jake Roberts get their trademark theme music?

4.) How did the Fabulous Rogeaus turn heel?

5.) When and how did they switch from the old school WWF Championship to the Gold Eagle?

1.) Is "Eye of The Tiger" intact on the CHV of Wrestlemania 1?

2.) When did Hogan switch from "Eye of The Tiger" to "Real American" ?

3.) When did Mr. Perfect, Ted Dibiase, and Jake Roberts get their trademark theme music?

4.) How did the Fabulous Rogeaus turn heel?

5.) When and how did they switch from the old school WWF Championship to the Gold Eagle?

1) No

2) The song made its debut here:

WWF @ Poughkeepsie, NY - Mid-Hudson Civic Center - October 1, 1985

Championship Wrestling taping:

10/12/85:

Mike Rotundo & Barry Windham defeated Ron Shaw & Mr. X (debut of the "Real American" theme song)

Hogan didn't use it until after this:

WWF @ Phoenix, AZ - Veterans Memorial Coliseum - February 15, 1986

Saturday Night's Main Event #5 - 3/1/86 on NBC (10.0) - included the debut of Hulk Hogan's "Real American" music video

3) Roberts was 88. The other two were 89.

4) It was a few weeks in the making.

WWF @ Springfield, MA - Civic Center - April 22, 1988 (9,000)

Wrestling Challenge:

5/1/88:

Jacques & Raymond Rougeau defeated Chris Duffy & Joe Milano at 1:32 when Raymond scored the pin after a clothesline off the top from Jacques (the first instance of the Rougeaus being referred to as 'Fabulous')

WWF @ Duluth, MN - Entertainment Convention Center - May 10, 1988 (7,000; sell out)

WWF Superstars taping:

6/4/88 - included Craig DeGeorge conducting an interview with Jacques & Raymond Rougeau where they said they were not like Dino Bravo and, to show their appreciation to the USA, they began waving 2 small American flags

From there they beat the Killer Bees in a babyface series but cheated to do so.

WWF @ Providence, RI - Civic Center - August 23, 1988 (13,800; sell out)

WWF Superstars taping:

9/17/88 - included Craig DeGeorge conducting an interview with Jacques & Raymond Rougeau in which they introduced Jimmy Hart as their new manager, with Hart then announcing that he had given each Rougeau 25% of the Hart Foundation's contract, which Hart still owned

5) I believe it was after the Hogan / Andre episode of The Main Event

Actually, Roberts got his theme music in 1988 (I remember it from WMIV) and I believe DiBiase debuted his shortly before WMVI.

In a little known theme fact, at the end of 1987, Jim Duggan actually had theme music. It was pretty awful.

Actually, Roberts got his theme music in 1988 (I remember it from WMIV) and I believe DiBiase debuted his shortly before WMVI.

In a little known theme fact, at the end of 1987, Jim Duggan actually had theme music. It was pretty awful.

I get the feeling this is something I should have known to begin with:

What did he come to the ring to later in his career?

5) I believe it was after the Hogan / Andre episode of The Main Event

I think it was just before. I remember DiBiase wearing the winged eagle belt when Andre presented it to him after winning the match with Hogan, so Hogan had to have worn it to the ring.

I get the feeling this is something I should have known to begin with:

What did he come to the ring to later in his career?

He had Big John Studd's music after Studd left in 1989. With a bunch of "HOOOOOOOOOOOOO"s overdubbed, of course.

Looking for two things. Not holding my breath on them.

1) Good place to download entrance themes. Mountie and Repo Man in particular (Limewire returned nothing)

2) Old School tees. Any non ebay sites carry them? Sandman Drunk 24/7 is the one I've got my eye on.

1.) How did the Hogan / Piper feud begin and what was the blow-off (before JD 2003 :P)? Also how did Piper turn face?

2.) I heard Randy Savage was one of the greatest heels ever, but I never got to see any of his 80s work so I'm wondering what he did do that was so special? And how did he turn face?

3.) I noticed a lot of Bad News Brown matches ended in DQs or draws, but I was watching the Best of the WWF Vol. 20 and he jobbed to Beefcake 123 clean on the mat. Any other times he lost by pinfall? It seems like such a rare thing since he seemed to be heavily protected.

4.) Finally, Wrestlemania 8 ended in a DQ between Hogan and Sid and apparantly that was always the plan once Hogan / Flair was scrapped. Was Vince really that keen on protecting Sid, even at the biggest event of the year especially for "Hogan's final match"?

1. The feud began during the cross-promotion with MTV, after Piper attacked Cyndi Lauper, who had just presented Hogan with an award at a MSG show at the end of 1984. The tag match at Wrestlemania was the blowoff -- hard to have a real blowoff when neither guy will job to the other.

Piper started turning face during the boxing match with Mr. T at WM2, and was cemented when he came back to the WWF following WM2, and Adrian Adonis had stolen his talk show and Bob Orton.

2. It's hard to explain what made Savage so great. His offense was in stark contrast to nearly everyone else on the roster, and was especially unique for a top heel at the time. He was a guy who made you hate him with his interviews and his antics, but respect him with his in-ring work.

He was getting face pops all the time after the match with Steamboat at Wrestlemania III, but he was solidified as a face during a match with the Honky Tonk Man on SNME late in 1987 where the seeds for the Megapowers angle with Hogan were first planted. Savage took a massive beating from Honky and the Hart Foundation after the match, until Elizabeth went to the back and got Hogan to make the save, which led to the famous handshake.

3. Bad News lost clean to Hogan on the SNME immediately before Wrestlemania V.

4. I would imagine Vince wanted to give Hogan one last big moment, without having to have his big monster heel job cleanly to a guy who was supposedly retiring. Of course, Sid left shortly thereafter, so it really didn't make a difference.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

2. Savage's intense promos and insane spots (Piledriving Morton on a table in 1984...using the big elbow/axehandle from the top of the cage in the same era

I'd love to see some of his ICW work. He did 90 min draws with Eaton

How did WCW justify, storyline wise, stripping Chris Benoit of the WCW World title? I remember Arn Anderson (the guest referee of the Benoit/Sid match where Benoit won the title) saying something about someone's foot being on the rope when Benoit had Sid in the Crossface. But I can't remember if it was Sid's foot or Benoit's foot and if they ever brought that rule up before or since.

Basically, according to WCW, having a part of your body underneath is just as good as actually grabbing / touching the rope. AA didn't see Sid's leg under the rope when he tapped out. The decision was reversed the following night on Nitro by Anderson after he reviewed the footage. Basically, they did this because they probably knew Benoit was going to leave WCW anyway.