TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

This isn't a question with a definitive answer but I didn't feel like starting a thread about it so I'll ask it here. I've been wracking my brain about it- thinking about it for a week or so-

What was better in '99- WWF or WCW?

Both had terrible years IMO quality wise.

I thought the WWF was better, for the most part. I started tuning out WCW in the middle of the year. Jericho jumping really gave the WWF a boost.

Once Russo came in, though, WCW started to get very perversely entertaining.

The problem with WWF in '99 was that...it was basically a repeat of '98 WWF. Basically same guys on top, similar storylines. Who could blame WWF, though? They were riding a gravy train.

WCW was just all over the place in terms on quality, and was really quite terrible by the end of the year. So, WWF gets the nod for being better in '99.

Also, looking at the following year, 2000...it's quite evident that WWF had set itself up to have a phenomenal year (plus getting the Radicalz didn't hurt), and WCW ended up having the year that basically killed the promotion.

Was Shane McMahon actually friends with Rodney & Pete Gas growing up? I could've sworn I saw a photo of the three of them with their high school football team in Raw Magazine years ago.

Was Shane McMahon actually friends with Rodney & Pete Gas growing up? I could've sworn I saw a photo of the three of them with their high school football team in Raw Magazine years ago.

Yep.

Yep.

yeah they were his friends. Foley said so in his book too. Joey Abs was an actual wrestler they brought up to help out the non wrestlers learn how to work

Guest Bulldogs'86

Back to January 1987...

Who hit the floor first, Hogan or Orndorff?

Guest Bulldogs'86

Back to January 1987...

Who hit the floor first, Hogan or Orndorff?

It was a tie, silly. They had a split screen and everything!

But was it REALLY a tie? Some say the replay clearly shows Orndorff hitting the floor first. Just wondering if most here would agree with that assessment.

Honestly, if the split-screen replays were actually in sync, Hogan hit first, which is why Orndorff's legs were still straight...he hadn't hit the floor.

In reality? I dunno.

Any particular reason why the WWE never holds events at the United Center in Chicago? They're always at the Rosemont, including this year at WrestleMania. They had SummerSlam 94 there, and made a big deal about it being the "first televised event" inside the United Center, but I can't remember them ever going back. WCW did many shows there, though.

WCW signed a exculsive deal to be be the only wrestling promotion that ran shows at the building. WWF went back to running at the Rosemont Horizon and never bothered going back when WCW died. I'm sure they get a better deal on rent from Rosemont.

BTW, wasn't Summmerslam '94 the first event held at the United Center period (televised or not).

Can we get a list of famous arenas WCW never ran because they were WWF exclusive?

MSG is obviously the big one, They never ran at The Boston Garden or The Philadelphia Spectrum either. Did WCW ever run at the old Maple Leaf Gardens? Or The Montreal Forum? Hell, did WCW ever run in Montreal?

According to Wikipedia (I know, not always reliable), Jacques pinned Hogan at the Bell Centre, which was formerly the Molson Center, in Montreal.

I remember reading about that card after the fact, and it was rather controversial because WCW took the approach of trying to cater to the Montreal crowd by booking a lot of Canadian talent on the show, rather than using all the top stars of WCW. Actually, here is the whole show, from DDT Digest:

These results from the Molson Centre are reprinted from the September, 1997 issue of Pro Wrestling Illustrated.

* Nelson Veilleux defeated Sunny War Cloud

* The Prisoners defeated Jacques Compois & Richard Charland

* Tiger Jackson defeated Little Broten in a midget match

* Jeff Jarrett defeated Chris Jericho

* Harlem Heat defeated The Faces Of Fear

* Lex Luger was declared the winner of his match with Steve "Mongo" McMichael when Ric Flair interfered and submitted when Luger put him in his "torture rack"

* Karl Oulette defeated The Giant by disqualification with The Giant hit the referee

* Jacques Rougeau pinned World Champion Hulk Hogan in a non-title match.

I don't know what arena it was in (probably the Molson Centre), but WCW has been to Montreal. That was where Jacques Rougeau got a pinfall win over Hulk Hogan.

That wasn't a WCW show. They lent some talent, but it was all organized and promoted by Jacques.

I'm currently watching Bushwhackers/Beverlys from RR92, and at the start, the 'whackers keep trying to get some kind of chant going, and I can't figure out what it is. The crowd there did pick up on the chant once, though. Does anyone know what they were saying?

I'm currently watching Bushwhackers/Beverlys from RR92, and at the start, the 'whackers keep trying to get some kind of chant going, and I can't figure out what it is. The crowd there did pick up on the chant once, though. Does anyone know what they were saying?

I think it was a "faggot" chant.

I think it was a "faggot" chant.

The Bushwhackers: The WWF's promoters of tolerance from down under.

I never saw why the WWF never turned the Bushwhackers heel at all. Sure they were over as an opening match babyface tag team but from what I've heard about their Sheephearder days and their guest appearence on Family Matters, they could have been solid heels.

I mean why not turn them heels towards the end of their run in 95/96? The WWF was really lacking in brutal heels at the time. All of the heels were kind of namby pamby wusses or supergroups.

Eh- that wasn't really a question. Continue your discussions.

I guess you're right but stranger things have happened.

Eh, not really.

Another open ended question when do you think the WWF/E tag division hit rock bottom? I'd have to say now but the mid 90s were brutal.

I think the current situation is 100x worse than the mid-90s. They at least made an effort with the tag division 10 years ago. Most of the teams weren't very good, but the champs were usually at least passable (and VISIBLE). The Headshrinkers, the Smoking Gunns and the Quebecers were all decent.

Now, it's hit and miss on whether I can tell you who both sets of tag champs are on any given day. The titles are invisible, because the champs don't defend enough and there's no one good to defend against.

Quite frankly, the trouble seems to me is that there aren't TAG TEAMS. There's wrestlers with nothing to do lumped as a tag team. This has been a problem since about 1999. The New Age Outlaws were an exception, but they had a name. They weren't Billy Gunn and Road Dogg. Look at the Tag Battle Royale at WM 14 or the Tag Royal Rumble on a June 98 Raw:

Two or three combo teams (to fill out a show), but they at least had a common denominator, be it stablemates, or same manager, or past storylines together. Go through the last 15 or 20 tag champs on either show. Save Spirit Squad, it's all combo teams. Again, an exception are Billy and Chuck, but they had a gimmick.

Two defences of Billy Gunn? That shows how bad it's gotten.