TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

This really has nothing to do with the topic we where just discussing but has anyone seen this from an old episode of WCW Wrestling from late 1991 where Terri Runnels was still the manager of the York Foundation and they where having problems and she told Terrence Taylor that she wanted to having a meeting later that night and he told her that he did not want to go to the meeting so she took a clip out of her and let her hair down and he was like I will be there and she was acting all sexy. It was very bizarre but my question is what was the point of this and where did they go with it?

Thanks.

I do remember that, now that you mention it, but I don't think it went anywhere. By the end of '91, after the York Foundation lost the short-lived revival of the six man tag belts, Morton, Rich and Terri all just seemed to disappear. I don't remember a kayfabe reason nor do I know the shoot reason. I just remember Taylor being repackaged shortly thereafter as "The Taylor Made Man", which I at least found amusing (in my 11 y/o wisdom).

I have the first part on a video that I got and I found it amusing so I was just wondering what it was about I remember watching WCW back then but I was like 4 so stuff that is not as vivid to me as other things like Sting beat Lex Luger for the WCW Title at WCW SuperBrawl II.

Thanks.

Guest Waldo

I went to a WWF house show in November 1993, and the ring announcer said that next time they were in town we'd see the return of Sgt. Slaughter. Crowd popped big time.

Sarge never returned. Any backstory?

I was watching Survivor Series 91 the other day and realized Ultimate Warrior wasn't on the card. I know there was some angle done where the Taker and Papa Shango put him in a casket or something, and then he returned at WM8. But why was this done? Was he injured? Thanks.

Was there an angle to explain why Sgt. Slaughter stopped wrestling in 1992.I know he didn't leave because i saw him during the contract signing for Bret vs Yoko.

Guest drdrainoscott

Let's see if I can help answer some of these.

Regarding the York Foundation, I don't remember them breaking up either. Taylor, from what I remember, was called the Taylor Made Man when he was in the York Foundation, and I believe that his contract ran out and he jumped to WWF, as he was in Royal Rumble 93. Morton turned face I think and tried to reform the Rock and Roll Express, but that didn't go anywhere. Rich disappered as far as I can remember. Again, I don't remember a breakup being explained.

Regarding the Ultimate Warrior. I don't think he was spoken of after Summerslam '91. If you remember, he chased Adnan and Mustafa to the back at the very end of the match, and that was the last that anyone saw of him. The angle with Taker and Jake Roberts was done before Summerslam, which would have seemingly been his fued going into Survivor Series was dropped the night of Summerslam as Roberts and Taker began focusing on Macho Man. I believe he had a contract dispute, which is why he left. The Shango fued took place after he returned at WM8, but it didn't really go anywhere. There may have been a match on SNME, but I don't really remember. Anyway, he left right before Survivor Series 92 due to Steroids.

Regarding Slaughter, I have no idea. The only thing that I can think of is that Yokozuna injured him in a match with the Banzai Drop, as that is how Jim Duggan was written out of the storylines, and Sarge and Duggan were tag partners.

Guest Boo_Bradley

Didn't Warrior demand 1 million for the SSlam match or something, like right before the show?

Or was this when he flaked out at the thought of turning heel?

Guest Boo_Bradley

Raven talks about the evolution of the snot rag gimmick, which I’m kinda surprised never made it into the WWF run. This leads into a discussion about knowing your audience and how it wasn’t the right time.

Whats the snot rag gimmick?

Was there an angle to explain why Sgt. Slaughter stopped wrestling in 1992.I know he didn't leave because i saw him during the contract signing for Bret vs Yoko.

The last feud Slaughter had in 92 was against the Mountie. Right after that, he became the unofficial "enforcer" of the WWF ... I guess somewhat like the comissioner role but rarely seen on TV.

I went to a WWF house show in November 1993, and the ring announcer said that next time they were in town we'd see the return of Sgt. Slaughter. Crowd popped big time.

Sarge never returned. Any backstory?

Do you remember where the show was held or any of the matches? Where it was might help in figuring out why he was advertised to begin with.

1)How did Crush debut as the 3rd member of Demolition?

2)Did they ever explain Sensational Sherri leaving Ted Dibiase for Shawn Michaels?

3)What was the last televised match of the Rockers?

4)What was deal with Marty Jannetty missing most of 92?

5)When did Owen Hart return for his 2nd stint in the wwf?

1)How did Crush debut as the 3rd member of Demolition?

2)Did they ever explain Sensational Sherri leaving Ted Dibiase for Shawn Michaels?

3)What was the last televised match of the Rockers?

4)What was deal with Marty Jannetty missing most of 92?

5)When did Owen Hart return for his 2nd stint in the wwf?

1. Might have been on the Brother Love Show

2. Sherri appeared on the Funeral Parlour to say that her "Teddy Bear" was letting her go because she was in love with HBK and Dibiase wanted her to be happy ... she made him sound like a father figure, IIRC

3. Pretty sure it was the tag title match against LOD on Superstars

5. Late 1991, right before the Survivor Series. He was brought in to help Jim Neidhart gain revenge on the Beverly Brothers.

Guest drdrainoscott

Why did the Neidhart need to get revenge on the Beverly's? Did he ask Bret for help before he got Owen?

Guest Boo_Bradley

Neidhart wrestled Flair on SStars, and was limping back to the dressing room after his loss, and the beverly bros came out next and attacked him

Me and my 2 neighbor loved the Harts - when we did our quasi backyard wrestling i was always Jim N., and the other 2 were Bret and owen- we'd reinact great matches and what not...

Did he ask Bret for help before he got Owen?

Neidhart was semi-retired and Bret was one of the hottest singles stars at the time. To involve Bret would kill his heat. It was better to have Neidhart bring in a new talent (Owen) and help him get over.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

A better question would be why WCW had Lanny Poffo undercontract from 1995 -1997(8)

and never once used him...ever

*I realize it was a favor to Randy*

Guest Boo_Bradley

Am I crazy or did Ric Flair once wrestle the same jobber on superstars twice in a 3 week span, with Vince actually showing highlights of the previous squash

I think it was Dale Wolf

I tried looking around to help you out a bit. I have Flair facing Jim Powers, Ron Cumberledge, and Glen Ruth several times at TV tapings - but this is over the course of both 1991 and 92. I didn't see anything that clearly matched up with what you said but it could be I'm just missing info.

Why/when/how did Jacques Rougeau beat Hulk Hogan clean?

Did The Giant (Big Show) ever get music in WCW (barring the nWo theme)? I can't remember. Usually he came out to no music.

Edited by CM Funk

Believe it was February / March 97. The match took place in Montreal, which explains the why.

Thanks.

Can someone answer the other one?

Did The Giant (Big Show) ever get music in WCW (barring the nWo theme)? I can't remember. Usually he came out to no music.

He had the Dungeon of Doom music in 1995-96 if you want to count that.

I've never heard an explanation. There were a handful of other PPVs that were never commercially released - Spring Stampede 98 and Souled Out 97 among them.

I've never heard an explanation. There were a handful of other PPVs that were never commercially released - Spring Stampede 98 and Souled Out 97 among them.

And everything after BatB 2000.

Not too old school, but does anybody have any details on the time Norman Smiley became backyard wrestling champion on a 2000 episode of Thunder?

Since we never got a clear answer to how/why the York Foundation broke up, I do have more info.

At Clash of the Champions XVII, Thomas Rich was wrestling Big Josh in a lumberjack match. Taylor tripped Rich, leading to his defeat, leading to the Young Pistols (at the time being recruited for the York Foundation) to ask him what the hell was going on. I think they did a quickie angle on TV a week or two after that to explain the Taylor Made Man bit (I can't remember exactly what the angle was though), but for some stupid reason they not only kept him as a heel, but they had him teaming with Young Pistol Tracey Smothers at Clash XVIII.

WCW was fucked up long before the Vince Russo era.