TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Guest thrall585
The steroid issue played a big part in Hart getting the title. Part of the reason Warrior left was b/c McMahon was instituting new testing at the time and he, along with Davey Boy Smith (who was also fired at the time, were suspected of using something, possibly GHB, i don't remember to beat the tests). With arguably, the top 2 babyfaces at the time being let go (not counting Savage right off the title loss), the decision was made to go to Bret Hart.

Bulldog and Warrior were let go in November, Bret won the title in October.

Guest thrall585

What was up with Akeem's arm motions? Does Vince think Africans really do that in Africa, or do they really?

What was up with Akeem's arm motions? Does Vince think Africans really do that in Africa, or do they really?

I always thought it was just Vince's way of trying to piss off every black person who actually watched his product.

PWI MOTY 1993: Michaels vs. Jannety

Which match was it?

It was the Raw blowoff in July. The cage match was never televised.

I didn't see what the big deal was, myself. It was obvious Marty had no chance of winning. Here's how the match played out. Marty got the win but Shawn's foot was on the ropes ... Diesel and Heenan show the referee what happened on the video moniter ... match continues ... Marty misses a dive to the floor, knocks himself out, Diesel rolls him back in, Shawn gets the easy pin.

It may have been a better match than simply what I just described, but it's been 10 years since I've seen it.

Which match was it?

I didn't see what the big deal was, myself. It was obvious Marty had no chance of winning. Here's how the match played out. Marty got the win but Shawn's foot was on the ropes ... Diesel and Heenan show the referee what happened on the video moniter ... match continues ... Marty misses a dive to the floor, knocks himself out, Diesel rolls him back in, Shawn gets the easy pin.

It may have been a better match than simply what I just described, but it's been 10 years since I've seen it.

No way was that one better than Bret-Hennig at KOTR.

Which match was it?

What a dull ending that sounded like.

I would of thought the match on Raw: Prime Cuts would have been deemed MOTY.

New question:

Which match was it? I've heard three different options

1. The match where Perfect helps Jannety win the belt

2. A rematch on RAW after Michaels wins the belt back, in which the match has a false finish (foot on the rope) and a restart.

3. The cage match after that (least likely though)

Although the choice of the award was quite dubious to me (granted, it's Apter, so it may well have been arbitrary anyway) since the US MOTY in '93 had to be Foley-Vader at HH93

Sting/Vader at SB3 >>> Foley/Vader.

Which match was it?

Amazingly enough, I have this match on tape somewhere... I'm not really sure why, I happened to need to record RAW that night (when I would never miss wrestling), and then never recorded over it, which is odd since that was my all-purpose recording tape at the time.

As for the match itself, it was a decent, and dare I say, very good match, especially for the usual fare on RAW at the time (setting up the AMERICAN HERO Luger versus EVIL SUMOAN Yoko), but it's hardly even a MOTY candidate (much less winner), given the matches Vader was putting on in WCW that year (Sting, Foley and Flair)

How many times have Sting and Chris Benoit wrestled each other? Singles wise and televised?

Guest MikeSC

Akeem's gimmick was a rib on Dusty Rhodes, if memory serves.

-=Mike

Guest Askewniverse
How many times have Sting and Chris Benoit wrestled each other?  Singles wise and televised?

I think they only had one televised singles match against each other, which took place on Nitro (9/20/99). Sting pinned Benoit to retain the WCW World title after Lex Luger interfered. A recap of the match, as well as the rest of the show, can be found here.

Guest Boo_Bradley

Didn't Beniot face Sting at Mayhem 99?

Jarrett, Hart, Sting, Beniot....

or was it Sting/Hart

Jarrett/Beniot...

Reading the Borga thread, I was wondering if there ever was a televised singles match between Luger / Borga?

Never televised as far as one-on-one matches. They were obviously holding out on WrestleMania for that one. I'm sure they fought at a few TV tapings, which leads me to believe footage exists.

Guest Boo_Bradley

Where else did Cousin Junior, and the other Cousin (Not Jim or Elmer) wrestle before or after their WWF stint...

Where else did Cousin Junior, and the other Cousin (Not Jim or Elmer) wrestle before or after their WWF stint...

As for the other cousin, I'll assume you mean Cousin Luke. Junior and Luke's real names were Lanny Kean and Gene Pettit.

Lanny worked in Memphis and was known as Moondog Cujo and "Bloody" Ox Brody. He was also known as "Luscious" Lanny Kean when he worked for Dale Mann in KY.

As for Gene, he was known as Dale Lewis' "brother" Gene, Kharma and Molokai down in Kevin Sullivan's group somewhere in Florida. He worked in World Class sometime between '83-'83 and was known as The Mongol there.

Also, if I remember correctly, Gene also portrayed the Midnight Rider who turned on Dusty Rhodes durring a match with Kevin Sullivan. The fans obviously knew that Rider was Rhodes himself, so when the Midnight Rider came down to the ring durring the match, they were confused and then shocked when the Midnight Rider turned on Dusty.

I THINK all of that is correct, if I remember everything straight. I haven't read about it in a while now. Over at WC we were discussing it last year or so, something like that.

the Honky/Lawler heat is probably because memphis was famous for it's $40 per night pay offs.Another reason might be that Lawler never booked Honky as a Main Event guy but i have never seen memphis so i wouldn't know how honky was used.

after wrestlemania IV in a strike force/demolition rematch rick martel was injured with a concussion and out for i think about 9 months. was he really injured in the match or was that just a storyline to cover up some other eason for his absence?

also, when the powers of pain made their debut in the wwf, tito santana was their manager, known as the baron i believe. when did he stop accompanying them to the ring and was their ever a reason given for him no longer going to the ring with them?

also, when the powers of pain made their debut in the wwf, tito santana was their manager, known as the baron i believe. when did he stop accompanying them to the ring and was their ever a reason given for him no longer going to the ring with them?

It wasn't Tito Santana, it was Baron von Raschke. As to the actual questions, I don't remember.

after wrestlemania IV in a strike force/demolition rematch rick martel was injured with a concussion and out for i think about 9 months. was he really injured in the match or was that just a storyline to cover up some other eason for his absence?

I have that match on tape. Smash hits Martel in the back of the neck with a chair. Martel collapses and no one notices so Demoliton does a Demolition Decaptitation Elbow off the apron to the floor which didn't help the injury at all. So yes it was legit. And Tito was crying as Martel to wheeled away motionless.

Guest Boo_Bradley

I have that match on tape. Smash hits Martel in the back of the neck with a chair. Martel collapses and no one notices so Demoliton does a Demolition Decaptitation Elbow off the apron to the floor which didn't help the injury at all. So yes it was legit. And Tito was crying as Martel to wheeled away motionless.

Hate to break it to ya, but that sounds like a pre planned angle to me....

I'm pretty sure he had wear and tear from 10 years+ in the ring.... can't recall what did him in .... maybe KM.com will help.....

http://pub138.ezboard.com/fkayfabememories...icID=2517.topic

Edited by Boo_Bradley

Did Martel and Tito ever have a proper blowoff match around mid to late 89 when there was still the ex-partner anomosity between them? The Summerslam 89 six-man tag got me thinking of it and I couldn't remember a PPV singles match (sorry if there was one).

There was never one. They just wrestled in every city in America during the house show circuit with Martel winning almost all of them, I would imagine.

They had a couple matches on SNME and a CV Exclusive on Hottest Matches. Sadly, Tito won none of those.

Yeah, Martel always got the better of him. I'm sure he eliminated Tito at Survivor Series 89 as well if memory serves. I marked for Tito and it used to piss me off.