TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest slabinskia

best ppv ever

Guest slabinskia

There are alot of people who think great american bash 89 is the best ppv ever.i think it is wrestlemania 17.if for no other reason than there are more 4 star matches at wm17.post what you think are the top 5 ppvs.here are mine.

1.wrestlemania 17

2.spring stampede 94

3.wrestlemania 8

4.bash at the beach 96 (for the ending)

5.wrestlemania 10

Guest BAR

I don't know if it was on PPV but Super J Cup '94 or When World's Collide would be my pick. From the U.S. I'd say Canadian Stampede.

Guest Dangerous A

Actually, the J-Cup wasn't a ppv so much as just a supercard. PPV wasn't an option in Japan in 1994. When Worlds Collide was a very good ppv and still holds up today. I really don't have 1 favorite. It depends on my mood. Here are some favorites...

AAA=When Worlds Collide

WMX

WMX7

No Way Out 2K1

Royal Rumble 1992

Judgement Day 2000

WM14

Summerslams 92, 2000,2001

Guest BAR

Wow, they were getting Lyger, Sasuke, Benoit, Ohtani etc for free while the U.S. were paying for Diesel.

Guest Dangerous A

I'm not sure if it was shown live, but they did eventually show it on free tv taped, so yeah, that sucked for the US back in the day.

Guest slabinskia

let me just say that while jcup 94 was one of the best non ppvs ever,wwf put out wm10 and wcw had spring stampede right around the same time.so it wasnt that bad in the u.s.

Well, I'd give the PPV edge here to WrestleMania X-7, just for the sheer madness of awesome matches it produced, starting with the beginning of the Angle/Benoit feud.

Then Stampede, and then GREAT AMERICAN BASH '89, which if you like the NWA-style, there are few greater my friends. Steamer blowing up and nailing Luger with the chair is still one of my favorite moments in wrestling history.

Guest Dynamite Kido

some of my personal fav's:

Barely Legal 97 (I used to mark out for ECW)

Spring Stampede 94

Spring Stampede 99

Wrestlemania X

King of the Ring 93

Anarchy Rulz 99

Canadian Stampede

Royal Rumble 92

Summerslam 01

Wrestlemania 8

Wrestlemania 17

Summer Slam 92

No Way Out 2001

GAB 89

SuperBrawl 2

Guest Goodear

Great American Bash '89 just owns the hell out of just about anything I have ever seen as something like the last five matches are all something like ***1/2 and UP and all for completely different reasons.

Wrestlemania X-7 is probably next on my list which sure as heck ios nothing to be ashamed of. It's like wild nonstop fun in my opinion but it sort of suffers from being really being just one style of match showing up again and again other than the Benoit-Angle match which eventually devolved to the other style as well.

Guest goodhelmet

my favorite ppv is actually one from mexico...

march 17, 2000 EMLL PPV

the ATLANTIS vs VILLANO III "Mask vs Mask" match. prolly in my top 5 north american main events ever. after watching it, you KNEW you had experienced something important. after watching a WWE show, i think to myself " that was kinda cool". after i watched this show, i knew i saw real history. wrestlemania manufactures a sense of history but emll delivered it.

Edited by goodhelmet

I'm gonna go with WMX7 just because it didn't really have a bad match IMO.

For indy PPVs, I really can't go past RoH: Road to the Title. I just loved that show to death.

I like BARELY LEGAL 97, IYH: CANADIAN STAMPEDE, and AAA WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE but they're all a little overrated. Definitely not the greatest ever!

Guest BAR

I'd say BL and WWC were slightly over rated. I think IYH16 has all solid matches, though and an amazing crowd. The 10 man is a favourtie of many people. The World title match is a decent strong style match. A good brawl between HHH and Foley and the WWF's best Junior match. It's probably my favourite WWF show ever.

Guest Kane Fan

Mania 17 - Austin/Rock, Angle/Benoit, TLC2...

Mania 10 - Bret/Owen, HBK/Ramon, the colourful era and atmosphere

Mania 3 - Hogan/Andre for the history, Savage/Steamboat and the awesome crowd

Guest two_tuff_toddy

"For indy PPVs, I really can't go past RoH: Road to the Title. I just loved that show to death."

I just watched that show for teh 1st time th other day and even though I thought ROH: Round Robin Challenge was a better show in whole with Loki vs American Dragon being the NA MOTY for 2002.

1994 J-Cup is the best card I've ever seen easily but for just ppv's I would have to go with Wrestlemania XVII

Mania X-7 only one match i didn't enjoy being the six man tag with APA and Tazz vs RTC. The rest was all rreally good, fun matchs. I also really like ROH Era of honor begins.

Canadian Stampede is less then two hours and had only 4 matches.

X-7 was FOUR hours and had 11 matches.

That's why X-7 gets the pick

THE pick?

Barron has spoken.

I would still go with Bash 89 by a narrow margin over WM X-7, then Canadian Stampede (still my favourite PPV) and WM3.

But the first half of GAB 89 is incredibly blah and it doesn't have the historical importance that X-7 had

What the hell are you smoking?

What was the historical importance of X-7? The Austin heel turn that went nowhere? Yet another TLC match? McMahons wrestling in the top card? The Gimmick Battle Royal?

That argument holds no water whatsoever.

To me Wrestlemania X-7 is everything that the wrestling boom was built towards.

This was the show that defined the wrestling boom in my eyes.

Considering that the next night began the WWF's downfall I consider X-7 to be the climax of the Attitude Era.

It has one of the biggest matches of all time as the main event.

It's the last time the tag titles were really taken seriously and seen as having prestige.

It has something for everyone-

The big main event

A sports entertainment spectacular

A holy shit spotfest

A hardcore match

The Austin heel turn didn't go anywhere?

It added a new depth to the Stone Cold character and showed him doing things we'd never thought we would see.

I think that means it went somewhere.

The Austin heel turn didn't go anywhere?

It added a new depth to the Stone Cold character and showed him doing things we'd never thought we would see.

I think that means it went somewhere.

They completely dropped it the night after Survivor Series. Austin came out to a huge ovation after wrestling as a heel for nearly eight months, with no turn whatsoever. The crowd never accepted it due to the complete lack of buildup beforehand and explanation afterward. The only thing that came out of it was that damn "What?"

That's the very definition of going nowhere.

I can't think of a storyline that's gone somewhere for that long.

How long have you been watching? I can think of a half-dozen off the top of my head...Savage-Hogan, Hogan-Andre, Savage-Flair, Austin-McMahon, Rock-HHH, and Hogan-Piper.

Point is, the heel turn was a failure at least until Invasion. Thinking about what happened during the Invasion is unfair, considering what a monumental failure the Invasion itself was. And the night after SS was the wrestling equivalent of Bobby stepping out of the shower on Dallas -- it invalidated just about everything that happened since X-7.

OK Let me try it this way.

Can you think of any WWE storylines SINCE this one that lasted this long?

Well, no.

But the current writers have the attention spans of a seven-year-old on Hallowe'en and the intelligence of cabbage. I shudder to think of them trying to write any coherent storyline going longer than 3 months.