TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest welshjerichomark

English Football

Oh crap the Chuckle Brothers are in the Euro 2004 squad.

OK, maybe Phil Nevile isn't quite international class, but name me a better English right back then Gary Neville?

Owen Hargreaves plays there for Bayern and if Glen Johnson had played in the 2nd half of the season then he'd probably have been in the squad.

Hargreaves plays at right back for them? Well in that case fair enough, but Neville would still be in the squad, even if perhaps Hargreaves should be playing - although as I haven't seen him play right back I can't say if he should be or not.

And Johnson has the potential to be better, but I'd rather have Gary Neville with 50-odd caps than Johnson with 0 at a major championships.

Now that Pleat is gone will Andy Reid still going to Tottenham? I couldn't see any other clubs paying Joe Kinnear's asking price.

I laughed today when I heard that Sven was talking about our lack of World Class players and apparently said that David James is no Gordon Banks, has it took him all this time to realise that?

Bristol City 90 minutes away from the First Division!?What strange parrell universe have I wondered into from the pub?

You small teams should know your place :P

In all serious I hope you beat Swindon or Brighton in the final. Play-off's are rubbish and whoever finishes third should go up anyway, so good luck.

Plus I've never been to the Memorial Stadium or whatever you call it before ;)

Bristol City 90 minutes away from the First Division!?What strange parrell universe have I wondered into from the pub?

You small teams should know your place  :P

In all serious I hope you beat Swindon or Brighton in the final. Play-off's are rubbish and whoever finishes third should go up anyway, so good luck.

Plus I've never been to the Memorial Stadium or whatever you call it before  ;)

The atmosphere at the game last night was weird,we obviously wanted to win but when Hartlepool scored it seemed as though most in the Atyeo Stand(behind the goal where City scored) expected it.I wasn't one of those running on the pitch because the Cardiff fans didn't celebrate on the pitch last year when they won and I had to much respect for the Hartlepool boys and it was obvious they wanted to get into the dressing room.I've seen a tape of the match and I noticed the Sky commentators were spot on with their assesment of our "expectant rather than hopeful" fans.I laughed seeing the boys spray Lucozade at Danny and watching our 2nd goal celebration with Scott Murray kicking the Microphone.

As for the ground It's Ashton Gate(the Memorial Stadium is home of the enemy) and it's the 2nd best stadium in Division 2(after Hillsborough) and our facilities are 1st division standard.

Guest Museite

I watched the game last night at the sports cafe, I think Bristol should have gone up as of right anyway, but then the playoffs do make for some of the most exciting football of the season.

Man, Im so glad I dont have to suffer Play-Offs, that would just be the worst thing ever for my nerves, I get too highly strung as it is.

Guest Museite

What about a relegation/promotion playoff rather than simply having promotion playoffs?

There a couple of possibilities

Fourth from bottom team in the higher division plays the highest non-automatic promotion team in the lower division, with the winner moving into or staying in the higher division

Fourth from bottom team in the higher division plays the lower division playoff winner with the winner of that game moving into or staying in the higher division.

Or you could have a hybrid of both systems in having the playoff winner be promoted, and then the loser of that game playing against the fourth from bottom team from the higher division etc etc

Guest jpclemmons

Looks like Man Utd is making an offer for Alan Smith for 7 mil pounds. Reading the footy message boards, the Leeds fans are furious with Smithy making a deal with the devil.

Well Smith is a hypocrite anyway, saying that he loves Leeds so much then just walking out on them, anyway I've got 125/1 on a 6-0 man utd to win the cup, so go reds

Guest jpclemmons
Well Smith is a hypocrite anyway, saying that he loves Leeds so much then just walking out on them, anyway I've got 125/1 on a 6-0 man utd to win the cup, so go reds

You were halfway right. Man Utd wins 3-0 against Millwall to win the FA cup.

The FA needs to fix the brackings next year. It's rediculous how a club who did not beat a premiership club made thier way into final. And it showed tonight that Millwall is not ready for the top flight of english football.

Guest Dr. Wrestlingphysics

No way! There should never be bracketing in FA cup draws. If a shit club happens to get to the final, let them! That's why they call it The luck of the draw!

As for relegation play-offs... They tried it once. Chelsea lost and were relegated. Their fans rioted. No more play-offs for relegation in England since.

Deep down, I wanted to be able to root for Millwall, but Dennis Wise and Danny Baker ensured it did not happen. He can fuck off, didn't deserve any credit and added very little to his somewhat competent team.

I hate Dennis Wise too. I've always thought he was a little c*nt, but since he's been out of the way at millwall I've hated him less simply because I hadn't seen him. After that performance, my hatred has returned to full.

Some of the stuff Christiano Ronaldo did in the Cup Final was crazy. I mean, that 360 degree spin past two guys...you just don't do that. Well...except for Zidane. But still.

He's one to watch next season.

On the Smith subject...he's wasn't getting in the England squad regularly as a Premiership player. He didn't stand a chance as a Division 1 player. Same for Robinson. I can't blame them for leaving, or Smith for wanting European football next season.

Wise has said that apparantly it definatly wasn't a pen, and the third goal was miles off side. As i was queing for Morrissey from midday i didn't see the game, so could someone tell me if he has a point, or the is the midgit talking bollocks like normal?

Guest Museite

It was a penalty, and I fell asleep for the third goal and the rest of the match...

It was the clearest penalty you could ever see. Livermore (I think it was) just went straight through Giggs.

Wise has a point about the third goal, it could have been disallowed, but what difference did it make? Like Millwall were going to come back from 2-0 down having previously had one shot on goal all match.

Wise proved yet again what a worthless little shit he was on Saturday, there may not be too much pride and responsibility associated with captaining a team like Millwall but wouldn't it have made a nice change for him to show just a little class or maturity on saturday? I thought his display of kicking, shoving and schoolboy verbals made him look pathetic but what else do you expect from a man who'd punch a fellow player while he was fast asleep and then attempt to sue the club for wrongful dismissal?

Wise proved yet again what a worthless little shit he was on Saturday, there may not be too much pride and responsibility associated with captaining a team like Millwall but wouldn't it have made a nice change for him to show just a little class or maturity on saturday? I thought his display of kicking, shoving and schoolboy verbals made him look pathetic but what else do you expect from a man who'd punch a fellow player while he was fast asleep and then attempt to sue the club for wrongful dismissal?

Oh get off it! I hate Millwall as much as the next fan, but as a Leicester fan, that is an EXTREMELY biased opinion.

Oh get off it! I hate Millwall as much as the next fan, but as a Leicester fan, that is an EXTREMELY biased opinion.

Well, as a non-Leicester fan I completely agree with the statement.

Anyway, as Houllier's been sacked I thought I'd copy and paste the list of all the player's he's bought at Liverpool. See how many YOU know from these -

Jan 1999: Jean-Michel Ferri from Istanbulspor £1.5million

Jan 1999: Frode Kippe from Lillestrom £700,000

Jan 1999: Rigobert Song from Salernitana £2.7m

Feb 1999: Djimi Traore from Laval £550,000

May 1999: Sami Hyypia from Willem II £2.6m

Jun 1999: Titi Camara from Marseille £2.8m

Jun 1999: Stephane Henchoz from Blackburn £3.5m

Jun 1999: Sander Westerveld from Vitesse Arnhem £4m

Jul 1999: Dietmar Hamann from Newcastle £8m

Jul 1999: Vladimir Smicer from Lens £4m

Mar 2000: Emile Heskey from Leicester £11m

Jun 2000: Bernard Diomede from Auxerre £3m

Jul 2000: Nick Barmby from Everton £6m

Aug 2000: Christian Ziege from Middlesbrough £5.5m

Sep 2000: Gregory Vignal from Montpellier £500,000

Nov 2000: Daniel Sjolund from West Ham £1m

Dec 2000: Igor Biscan from Dynamo Zagreb £5.5m

Jun 2001: John Arne Riise from Monaco £4m

Aug 2001: Milan Baros from Banik Ostrava £3.4m

Aug 2001: Jerzy Dudek from Feyenoord £4.85m

Aug 2001: Chris Kirkland from Coventry £6m

Sep 2001: Anthony Le Tallec and Florent Sinama Pongolle from Le Havre £6m

Jan 2002: Abel Xavier from Everton £800,000

Jun 2002: El-Hadji Diouf from Lens £10m

Jul 2002: Bruno Cheyrou from Lille £3.7m

Aug 2002: Salif Diao from Sedan £5m

Jul 2003: Steve Finnan from Fulham £3.5m

Jul 2003: Harry Kewell from Leeds £5m

Total: £128,600,000

That final was embarrasing, its their one shot at immortality and they put ten men behind the ball and everyone patted them on the back for it, fuck that, you've got to compete in a cup final, doesnt matter if you lose 1-0 or 7-0 you still get a losers medal.

Guest jpclemmons

and this guy is the manager??

I don't even think that Wise is worth hating to be honest, the thing that angered most people was him trying to screw some money out of the club for his 'unfair treatment'. It was also a classic case of footballers not living in the real world that pisses off average supporters, would any of us expect to keep our job if we punched a workmate?

MAnyway, as Houllier's been sacked I thought I'd copy and paste the list of all the player's he's bought at Liverpool. See how many YOU know from these -

Jan 1999: Jean-Michel Ferri from Istanbulspor £1.5million

Jan 1999: Frode Kippe from Lillestrom £700,000

Jan 1999: Rigobert Song from Salernitana £2.7m

Feb 1999: Djimi Traore from Laval £550,000

May 1999: Sami Hyypia from Willem II £2.6m

Jun 1999: Titi Camara from Marseille £2.8m

Jun 1999: Stephane Henchoz from Blackburn £3.5m

Jun 1999: Sander Westerveld from Vitesse Arnhem £4m

Jul 1999: Dietmar Hamann from Newcastle £8m

Jul 1999: Vladimir Smicer from Lens £4m

Mar 2000: Emile Heskey from Leicester £11m

Jun 2000: Bernard Diomede from Auxerre £3m

Jul 2000: Nick Barmby from Everton £6m

Aug 2000: Christian Ziege from Middlesbrough £5.5m

Sep 2000: Gregory Vignal from Montpellier £500,000

Nov 2000: Daniel Sjolund from West Ham £1m

Dec 2000: Igor Biscan from Dynamo Zagreb £5.5m

Jun 2001: John Arne Riise from Monaco £4m

Aug 2001: Milan Baros from Banik Ostrava £3.4m

Aug 2001: Jerzy Dudek from Feyenoord £4.85m

Aug 2001: Chris Kirkland from Coventry £6m

Sep 2001: Anthony Le Tallec and Florent Sinama Pongolle from Le Havre £6m

Jan 2002: Abel Xavier from Everton £800,000

Jun 2002: El-Hadji Diouf from Lens £10m

Jul 2002: Bruno Cheyrou from Lille £3.7m

Aug 2002: Salif Diao from Sedan £5m

Jul 2003: Steve Finnan from Fulham £3.5m

Jul 2003: Harry Kewell from Leeds £5m

Total: £128,600,000

You could also add Djibril Cisse from Auxurre for £14m as that deal was probably done months ago.

I don't even think that Wise is worth hating to be honest, the thing that angered most people was him trying to screw some money out of the club for his 'unfair treatment'. It was also a classic case of footballers not living in the real world that pisses off average supporters, would any of us expect to keep our job if we punched a workmate?

I did laugh when i heard Wise was sueing Leicester WHEN they were in administration.

You know he had no chance there.

Some footballers are born with suitable names. George Best was the best. Lee Sharpe was sharp. But Dennis Wise isn't.