TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Redhawk

Triple H as world champ

Where do we get the idea that HHH's opponents suck?

Besides Nash and Steiner most of them have been relatively fan favorites (HBK, RVD, Booker T, maybe Kane but he was ruined by the storyline)

Out of all of them were any of them booked to look even close to being strong enough to be a threat to HHH's title?

Did they suck or were they just booked to look like nobodys?

Before you say Booker T should have been champion, answer me this, when was the last time he had a good match? *** even. HHH tried really hard to get Booker T over, but Booker's wooden acting ability and just overall suckiness kept him from moving up to World Champion level.

HBK was good, but he got a one month reign which drew less than HHH's and HHH got the title back. RVD was okay, but he was HHH's first opponent, and was less over than HHH at the time. The other ones all sucked.

The last face who was even mildly over was Booker T and a lot of people (over half I'd say), thought he would win at Wrestlemania.

That's because of the whole damned storyline.

HE HAD TO GO OVER~! Everything was built in that "guys like him will never become Champion". And they made it out to be a fucking race angle. That whole angle just buried any credibility Booker had when he lost. Everything pointed that he should have won.

Except Triple H vetoing it and thus Booker got fucked over because Triple H proved everyone right that "guys like him never become Champion".

I agree, Booker - based on matches and promos - shouldn't be world champ. He isn't the guy that I would want to have as the flagship of my promotion.

However, based on pop and the storyline _at that time_ Booker should have gotten the title. They should have at least tried. Instead 'someone' was not feeling.

Well, Barron answered the RVD question, but just in case iggy doesn't believe it, from slashwrestling.com:

"With the words "boring, predictable standard television" still ringing in our ears, TRIPLE H comes out to kick off the show. Four championship matches tonight! World heavyweight, intercontinental, tag (Dudleys vs. Un-Americans) and women's on the line, but for now it's TALKIN' TIME: "Every place I go, everywhere I've been over the last week I hear the same damn thing...yeah, that. (points to "RVD" signs) I hear people sayin' the same damn crap - 'you're gonna lose your title to Rob van Dam! You're gonna get your ass kicked by Rob van Dam! Triple H, you're SCARED of Rob - van - Dam!' Well let me explain something to you people - I do not sweat Rob van Dam. I am not scared of Rob van Dam. And as much as you might love him, you've got to come to the realisation that Rob van Dam is not championship material. What, I'm supposed to be scared because he got lucky with one frog splash and then went on to become the #1 contender to MY title? I don't think so. You see, van Dam can't cut the mustard - but I can. You see (2), I am the greatest world heavyweight champion there has ever been. Whether ya like it or not, fact is fact. And the reason being is, I've got it all. I've got the body, I've got the ability, I've got the talent and I've got the brains, and Rob van Dam doesn't stand a chance in the ring with me. But, what IS starting to get under my skin is when I'm out defending this title all around the world, and I'm in these arenas, it's people like you chanting 'RVD.' ... Yeah. You see (3), it's that kind of disrespect that gets under my skin. Let me explain to you people just who the hell I am! I am Triple H! I am the heavyweight champion of the world! Because *I* am The Game! And because I am That Damn--" The music interrupts at this point and POINTS TO SELF makes it to the ring. Get him a mic, he wants to speak! "I hear you sayin' that you're not concerned about me...but dude, you are SERIOUSLY stressed out. Big time, I mean like - can you feel that tension radiating off your body? You know what - what's coming off is anger. Let me tell you something, man - anger is a negative energy - you need to shake that right now. What do you wanna be all angry for anyway? Oh. Is it because you've seen me in the ring? That's it, right, 'cause of all my cool moves that I do? Hey...Triple H, that's what RVD is all about, I mean...that's why all these fans love me! That's just me, that's the way I am, it's - I'm amazing!" "Oh yeah, Rob...you're amazing all right, yeah. You're right about that. But you know what you're right about, too? You're right - I am angry. And that anger - that anger is a gift - it's a gift I've been given - and that anger is the reason why I am the world's heavyweight champion. That anger, that anger is the reason why I sell out arenas - that anger is the reason why I headline pay-per-views!" "Whoa - hold on a second now, I don't want any misunderstandings, no one is trying to take away your accomplishments. Nobody - in fact, congratulations on all your success thus far. I'll tell ya - I personally am quite taken by the way that you display your abilities. I am, I watch you - I watch you, Triple H, and everybody's gotta admit, man, nobody can deny, you have proven time and time again that brother, YOU can SPIT some WATER. Oh ho ho ho...are you kiddin' me? You, you take it to another level, man, I - I see you do that, the way you get prepped up, and you're all poppin' them lats out like GRRRR, gettin' all that anger out, oh ho, that's a nice touch, you're all 'GRRRRRR, I'm Mr. Muscle and Fitness. GRRRRRRRRarrr!' Love it, love it, everybody does, man - I mean, that's - and then, oh, and then you wait for that cue in the music, and here comes the water you just 'ptoooo' - ho ho ho oh, that is BEAUTIFUL, man! What - I'm not impressed by that? Of *course* I am! Hey, everybody's gotta admit, man, that - THAT - takes - talent!" van Dam applauds. H ain't amused - no, wait, he is. "Hahahaha - hahaha - you know, Rob...heh - you're a funny guy. I can see why all these people love you. As a matter of fact, you know, they love you 'cause you're just like them - as a matter of fact, you're exactly like them...you are a gross underachiever. You see (4), Rob, you can come out here and you can make your jokes, but the fact of the matter is, that for all your athleticism, that for all your cool moves, for all your great talent and ability...you're not gonna amount to a damn thing in this business. Fact is, RVD, you are not championship material. And you will never be a world's heavyweight champion." "Ooooooooooooooooh-kay. Okay, NOW I see what this is all about. Yeah, I think I've located the source of your anger. You're upset because all of my fans aren't cheering for you! Right? You wanna hear them chant HHH! HHH! Hahaha - hey... brother, that's not gonna happen - no offense, don't take it personally, man - it's just that all the fans are a little too busy and way too excited chantingthe name of their *favourite* superstar AND the next world champion - Rob van Dam." H looks about as van Dam points to himself a second time - goes for a gutshot - van Dam catches the boot, steps over and delivers a heel kick that you have to go into REALLLLLLLY slow motion to make sure it didn't connect (that means it looked GREAT). van Dam plays to the crowd one more time before leaving the ring. Hey...they didn't play his music before heading to the break! That's kinda weird, isn't it? "

Once again how do we know so and so wouldn't be a good champ?

Not one of them was even given the decency to be booked like a threat. The heat on the match was sucked out before it even got going.

You wanna know why no one finds the World Title Prestigious? Because the feuds are all booked to be forgone conclusions.

Before you say Booker T should have been champion, answer me this, when was the last time he had a good match? *** even.

I could ask you the same question about Triple H.

HHH tried really hard to get Booker T over

By saying that "his" people shouldn't be holding world titles and by mocking his previous title runs in WCW? He completely buried him and made him look like a loser.

but Booker's wooden acting ability and just overall suckiness kept him from moving up to World Champion level.

No- It's that HHH convinced the office that Booker T would just be a transitional champ and that's not good

What needs to happen is WWE making some trades with Smackdown to bring over some better opponents since every good opponent on RAW has had their credibility shot.

Problem with that is you basically sacrifice that person's credibility for a month's worth of storylines and then you have the same problem again.

WWE wants to make HHH a Flair-like legend and that's why they're doing this. Problem is it's not really working.

Let's face it. Any and every challenger to HHH gets no build-up whatsoever when facing him. They take some mid-carder who's over and shove him into a month long program with HHH. The outcome? HHH wins. Not because he's good. Not because he's a darw. It's almost as if they're just sitting around WAITING for someone to draw uber-pops week in and week out instead of actually pushing guys and building them up to the eventual big PPV title win. And when that someone does come around, they have to meet certain requirements (must be home grown talent) in order to recieve any sort of push.

This near year long title reign has been nothing but HHH telling his opponents that they aren't "in his league". And he proves it. Week in and out... because the company doesn't have the balls or brain matter to give a serious push to anyone.

Before you say Booker T should have been champion, answer me this, when was the last time he had a good match? *** even.

HHH had a very good story match with Flair, a *** match with RVD that could have been really good if RVD had any idea how to sell a leg injury, he miraculously dragged a pretty decent effort out of Nash, and he is still the last person in the WWE to have a ***** match. (Summerslam last year) Besides that, he has acting ability, and can cut a real promo that's not completely reliant on catchphrases. Booker T has boring, slow, pointless matches every night. Do you think Booker T even knows what ring psychology is?

Maybe WWE just needs to take chances!!

Freshen things up a little. Do something the fans aren't expecting for once!

Right now the fans expect HHH to win all the time and nothing to change.

They had the prime chances with RVD and Booker to do something different.

Question is...could it be any worse than now? Why not give it a shot with the PROPER build up.

You know what I love? Everyone says that HHH never gives a decent storyline to any of his opponents, and then in the same breath, they say that Booker T's storyline was perfect for him to get the title. Shit, HHH made Steiner look like fucking King Kong, but when the fans realized how much Steiner sucked, they booed him anyway.

Freshen things up a little. Do something the fans aren't expecting for once!

Question is...could it be any worse than now? Why not give it a shot with the PROPER build up.

Well, Goldberg's winning the title at Summerslam, and Kane's been the focus of the show for the last two months. Isn't that shaking things up?

HHH had a very good story match with Flair, a *** match with RVD that could have been really good if RVD had any idea how to sell a leg injury, he miraculously dragged a pretty decent effort out of Nash, and he is still the last person in the WWE to have a ***** match. (Summerslam last year) Besides that, he has acting ability, and can cut a real promo that's not completely reliant on catchphrases. Booker T has boring, slow, pointless matches every night. Do you think Booker T even knows what ring psychology is?

Whoa! HHH was the last person to have a 5 Star match in WWE? Personally I don't rank his match with HBK at SummerSlam 5 Stars. It dragged a lot in the middle and HBK basically threw all his selling down the drain at the end.

What about Angle and Benoit's matches? Any of them come close to the Five Star range? Now I'm NOT saying Five Star exactly because frankly as I said before I didn't even consider HHH/HBK Five star so let's atleast look around for "close to Five Star"

Freshen things up a little.  Do something the fans aren't expecting for once!

Question is...could it be any worse than now?  Why not give it a shot with the PROPER build up.

Well, Goldberg's winning the title at Summerslam, and Kane's been the focus of the show for the last two months. Isn't that shaking things up?

A little bit. As far as Kane. And it's showing in the ratings a little too as far as Kane.

Hopefully that's a sign of things to come.

The thing is, Vince doesn't use match quality as any sort of criteria for giving guys title reigns. I'm pretty sure someone being over than is the basis by which Vince hands out pushes. Booker was over huge last year and going into his title program. RVD? you betcha. But it's always been that way. Benoit got a standing O at the Rumble, but the company failed to capatilize. Why?

Justify that Vince! Do it!

The Kane storyline is. If Goldberg is, then yes. The key word is 'if' though. I still maintain that Triple H will keep the belt.

If you're really fascinated by my star ratings, I thought Angle/Edge/Benoit/Guerrero for the #1 contendership for the WWE title was a ****3/4 match, and the second best in the WWE last year.

Angle/Benoit at the Rumble was probably about ****. It could have been higher, except they gave up on counter-wrestling logically and just switched each other's submission holds about five times in a row. It didn't look realistic at all.

I usually am not a Goldberg fan, but even I would feel a little better if Goldberg did win the title. Because it would be something different for once.

A non-Kliq World Champ.

Goldie winning the title will shake the WWE up as much as HBK winning it. HHH just should have sucked it up and chose to get squashed in a 3 minute slaughtering.

Of course, that would be a lil too much like WCW. The place where Goldberg actually became a superstar. Can't have that in the WWE, can we Hunter?

Goldie winning the title will shake the WWE up as much as HBK winning it. HHH just should have sucked it up and chose to get squashed in a 3 minute slaughtering.

Of course, that would be a lil too much like WCW. The place where Goldberg actually became a superstar. Can't have that in the WWE, can we Hunter?

Boy that wouldn't have buried all the people who couldn't beat HHH for seven months at all, would it. After Goldberg/Kane, you wouldn't have a money match left on Raw.

If you're really fascinated by my star ratings, I thought Angle/Edge/Benoit/Guerrero for the #1 contendership for the WWE title was a ****3/4 match, and the second best in the WWE last year.

Angle/Benoit at the Rumble was probably about ****. It could have been higher, except they gave up on counter-wrestling logically and just switched each other's submission holds about five times in a row. It didn't look realistic at all.

You know what else is unrealistic? Shawn kipping up after back abuse.

I'm sorry, someone who holds HBK's matches in high regard and complains about realism... It's just funny.

Ow! I think I just pulled my back. God this hurts so much. I don't think I can even walk. God please... Just kill me now... the pain, the pain... it hurts...

*kip up*

Better.

Is that 4 way the one where Edge keeps getting his leg beat on, but every other move he does involves him putting stress on his legs?

Goldie winning the title will shake the WWE up as much as HBK winning it.  HHH just should have sucked it up and chose to get squashed in a 3 minute slaughtering.

Of course, that would be a lil too much like WCW.  The place where Goldberg actually became a superstar.  Can't have that in the WWE, can we Hunter?

Boy that wouldn't have buried all the people who couldn't beat HHH for seven months at all, would it. After Goldberg/Kane, you wouldn't have a money match left on Raw.

In a strange bit of weirdness I'll agree with Iggy that a squash should never happen in a Major Title Match. It will always make those who came before look bad.

Just like when Nash squashed Backlund in 8 seconds after Backlund took Bret Hart to the limit.