TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest rawmvp

Dave Meltzer on RVD

Guest rawmvp

From the WrestlingClassics Message Board:

" WWE missed the boat with him. He walked in and was over. People embraced him. I remember him being a semi-heel when Angle was a face doing the USA gimmick and it was an embarrassment because the fans wouldn't cheer Angle. They went and turned Angle back right after that, blamed it on Angle not being over as a face as opposed to the fact people liked Van Dam from ECW without prompting.

What people missed regarding his flaws as a worker is that they were somewhat his strength in that company. Everyone was working the same basic style. Van Dam came in and while sloppy, and not fundamentally solid, his unique moves and different style caught on because it made him stand out. His interviews weren't good, but you know what, the people liked him anyway. Paul Heyman had a philosophy which he may have actually taken from me, basically, "What works, works." When it works, even if we think it shouldn't work and can give all sorts of good reasons why, the worst thing you can do is deny it is working.

Ultimately, he was not their creation. The people in charge didn't accept him as over because they didn't do it. They believed, and given stats, they should have been right and I'd have guessed they would be right, that Van Dam was only known by a small percentage of fans and would have cult following but they needed to get him over to their audience. It makes no sense given the size of the ECW audience, but that was not the case. And it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy in most cases when management decides the guys is too flawed to be a top guy. "

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Everybody knows RVD should have won at Unforgiven. It was his time.

Guest Sakura

There is no way RVD should have won the WWE Championship at No Mercy. It was way too early.

But they should have given him a long chase that lead to a title win, not a burial.

Guest Coffey

I think that RVD should've beat Brock in the KotR finals and RVD should've been the one to dethrone the Rock @ SummerSlam.

Guest rawmvp

This is the exact reason why Jericho, Booker T, RVD, and even Benoit and Eddie will never win a World Title (or in Jericho's case for a 2nd time)

WWE didn't create them.

I think that RVD should've beat Brock in the KotR finals and RVD should've been the one to dethrone the Rock @ SummerSlam.

Taker would've made more sense...it seemed like they were slowly building to that match for a good 3 or 4 months.

Guest Coffey

Taker would've made more sense...it seemed like they were slowly building to that match for a good 3 or 4 months.

That's true.

I wrote an article about the importance of heat in wrestling on my site, and RVD & Brock were the examples that I used.

It all comes back to that.

Guest Coffey

I remember that I bought a couple of ECW PPV's just because of RVD.

Now it's a miracle if RVD even gets on PPV.

It's sad really. Not to mention RVD is the worst person that you could try to give the WWE style to.

Guest Memphis

What a crock of shit.

RVD is and will forever remain and over-rated piece of shit. His matches are the most reptetive I've seen outside of Triple H. The glitzy moves were fun at first, but it's not hard to find the moron tedious when he uses the EXACT same moveset for every single match.

Rinse.Repeat.RVD.

*yawn*, next ECW reject thanks.

TAFKA 'M"

Guest Coffey
RVD is and will forever remain and over-rated piece of shit.

So who do you like then? Benoit? Guerrero? Angle? Welcome to the bandwagon.

RVD is over. That should matter, however in WWE land it doesn't. Compared to the rest of the roster, his "EXACT same moveset for every single match" is different. At least he doesn't use the main event combo of powerslam, sleeper, spinebuster. Besides, RVD is a young talent with a good finish. That's more than people who have been at the top in the past have had.

His matches are the most reptetive I've seen outside of Triple H. The glitzy moves were fun at first, but it's not hard to find the moron tedious when he uses the EXACT same moveset for every single match

It's called WWE style, and every wrestler on the WWE roster does it. Jericho, HHH, HBK, etc.

Whether you're an RVD fan or not, he is still more deserving than others.

The issue is not that RVD is overrated. Hell, Meltzer himself says that RVD is a flawed worker, who, theoretically, should not be over.

The problem is that he WAS over, ungodly over, over to the extent that he was cheered louder and more enthusiastically by the fans than the majority of the WWE's own guys - and instead of capitalizing on that, the WWE just jobbed him out until the fans, by and large, stopped caring.

It's just another example of the WWE royally fucking up a golden opportunity.

Guest Dynamite Kido

They are just pissed he doesn't wrestle the putrid "WWE Style". The fact of the matter is he is OVER and they already missed the boat on making him champion. They must forget that plain and simple titles are there to get the talent MORE over than they are already. Some guys just don't need title as they are already over. They only time guys like that should be holding the titles is when there is no other program for them to work and have it be believable. RVD could easily been a good champion given the chance.......

Guest The Old Me

RVD should have beat Brock at KOTR, and went on to defeat Taker at SS for the belt, to complete the summer of RVD.

What a crock of shit.

RVD is and will forever remain and over-rated piece of shit. His matches are the most reptetive I've seen outside of Triple H. The glitzy moves were fun at first, but it's not hard to find the moron tedious when he uses the EXACT same moveset for every single match.

Rinse.Repeat.RVD.

*yawn*, next ECW reject thanks.

TAFKA 'M"

Gotta luv dem WWE marks!!!

They actually think that "bah gawd anyone that came from WCW or ECW are crap, cause if they were any good they would of been in WWE all along cause WWE is DA BOMB!!!"

Guest BionicRedneck

Nah, I think he was just pointing out (rightly) that RVD is a shitty worker.

Actually the WWE marks love RVD, and personally he still has a chance to become a great champion, just let him wrestle his style and to freshen up his character turn him heel or (even better) a tweener, he definitely needs Heyman to be his manager.

Guest The Old Me

RVD is getting bored now (and rightly so) and isn't even working as hard as he used to. You can tell. So if they didn't push him before, I really doubt they will now.

This is the exact reason why Jericho, Booker T, RVD, and even Benoit and Eddie will never win a World Title (or in Jericho's case for a 2nd time)

WWE didn't create them.

About Jericho. You just nullified your own point by saying that 'second time' thing. OBVIOUSLY WWE had enough faith in him to put TWO World Titles on him at once. To say that he'll never win the title [again] because WWE didn't create him is bullshit. He's already done it. Your theory is wrong.

But it was put on Jerhico to be the guy that HHH would get to beat when he came back. It might be they didn't want to take away from any of the other guys heat.

Guest The Old Me

I think Jericho will eventually have another title reign , lame duck of course.

But it was put on Jerhico to be the guy that HHH would get to beat when he came back. It might be they didn't want to take away from any of the other guys heat.

I'm not buying any of these conspiracy theories. If Jericho was going to be a transitional champion, he wouldn't have held the belt all the way to WMX8. They still put it on him, I think that speaks for itself.

Guest The Old Me
But it was put on Jerhico to be the guy that HHH would get to beat when he came back.  It might be they didn't want to take away from any of the other guys heat.

I'm not buying any of these conspiracy theories. If Jericho was going to be a transitional champion, he wouldn't have held the belt all the way to WMX8. They still put it on him, I think that speaks for itself.

But he WAS a transitional champion. He didn't have it THAT long.

When was the last time a non WWE creation won the title besides Jerhico. I honestly can't remember. Do we have to go back to Hogan? if he even counts.

SID maybe...

When was the last time a non WWE creation won the title besides Jerhico. I honestly can't remember. Do we have to go back to Hogan? if he even counts.

SID maybe...

Does Ric Flair count?