TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

Did it before, I'll do it once more

We haven't had an anime recommendation thread in a while, and I'm starting to think I've seen most of the good in the genre. (make no mistake, while I like anime, there is a LOT of bad anime.)

My recommendations. as follows.

1. Vision of Escaflowne: Beautiful music and animation. A somewhat straightforward series which combines action and high drama. Fully realised characters, a somewhat rushed ending.

2. Cowboy Bebop: The snazziest, hippest anime. a bit too episodic, but the japanese concept of 'cool' to the highest level.

3. Irresponsible Captain Tylor. The serious anti-war drama as comedy. Tylor is the consumate supreme stoner cool. Going from complete ass to gentle, wise pascifist. great comedy wrapped in a space opera plot.

4. Ranma 1/2: Single most chaoitcally funny cartoon I've ever seen, 'sides Family Guy. Completely off the fuckin' wall, steadily regresses in quality.

5. Gundam Zeta: HIGH melodrama. The ultimate 'war really fucks shit up' pascifist anime. Filled mith complex characters and a rich history. Amazing.

Movies

1. Sprited away/ assorted Miyazaki. Miyazaki could have dominated this field, so I'll put Spirited away, and perhaps Mononoke and Totoro in this catagopry. His movies are so ethereal, they make you feel like a kid again.

2. Akira: Hard sci-fi, great animation, screaming names over and over. A true tour-de-force, and what many people first think of when they think of anime.

3. Grave of the fireflies. God it's so fucking sad. So very very sad. I've watched it once. Very good, but GOD it's sad.

4: Ghost in the Shell/PatlaborI/II: Mamoru Oshi perfects the slow burn in sci-fi. Langorous scenes blend into action, Either you like this guy or you don't. Subjectively, he's probably my #2.

5: Hell, I dunno. Let's say Macross Plus which is swell, and be done with it.

I'll agree with the Escaflowne reccomendation.

(The reason the ending feels rushed is that it was supposed to be a longer TV series, but only wound up being 26 eps. Still, it fits well.)

I haven't seen Zeta Gundam yet, but with Bandai releasing both it and Gundam Seed next year, I'll get my fix.

..and to anyone who's never seen a Gundam series, please, please don't judge it on Wing. I'll keep my hatred of it to a minimum, though.

As far as my own reccomendations go, I'd have to say Rurouni Kenshin, even if I haven't managed to see all of it yet. Great show.

Noir - It's kinda slow in its storytelling, especially in the beginning. But if you're willing to look past that you get a wonderfully drawn (esp. the backgrounds) anime with one of the best soundtracks around. The music is simply off the charts here. The characters and storyline are also very interesting, but it takes a while for the show to really hit its groove. When they introduce the third main character Chloe it gets really good.

Rurouni Kenshin - Watch it! It's, in my opinion, the best series around. The best part of the show is the Kyoto arc (Episodes 20something - 62), but the first episodes are essential to know the characters. The OVAs and the movie are great, too.

Serial Experiments Lain - It's weird, but very good. Wonderful animation style, and it's just the right show for internet geeks who are also into anime ;)

Love Hina - If you like your anime funny with cute chicks and men being punched around a lot, this is for you. Very romantic, too. Great series.

Trigun - Very funny with an awesome main character.

Video Girl Ai - Great romantic and funny show, but gets kinda strange in the last episode. Still recommended viewing, though.

Bubblegum Crisis 2040 and Outlaw Star look cool, too. But I haven't seen the whole shows yet.

Some movies:

Perfect Blue

Jin-Roh

Ninja Scroll

Lupin III - The Castle of Cagliostro

Vampire Hunter D and Bloodlust

Hmm let's see here.

GTO-Comedy series that I fell in love with after watching the first episode...

Cowboy Bebop/Cowboy Bebop The Movie(Both good In my oppinion)

Jin-Roh-Excellent movie, better than most in my oppinion, one of my top favorites.....

Boogie Pop Phantom-Confusing as hell, confusing through the whole thing and still not crystal clear at the end, but it's a great series.

Trigun-At first I didnt like it but I also couldnt stop watching it untill it was over...so its awesome!

FLCL-Comedy style Anime that is short, in only 6 eps(Hey it's an OVA)but extremely good. Crazy in an Excel Saga type of way.

Excel Saga-Crazy like the above, although this is 26 episodes

Hellsing-Vampire anime that is also full of style. It has been one of my favorite series recently and I can't reccomend it enough.

Berserk-Good action anime, although the first episode is really the last one in chronological order,so you will already know what the end is when you start the series.....

Neon Genisis Evangelion-Highly overrated in my oppinion but still good. Not as good as others in my oppinion, but the movie closes up the series nicely, in a different way than originally.

Rahxephon-HIGHLY OVERATTED,It's good but it didn't blow me away or anything...

X The Series-In my oppinion, not overratted,An EXCELLENT action series with excellent art work all the way through....

MOVIES-

Cowboy Bebop:The Movie

Jin-Roh

Akira(Overrated in my oppinon,but still good)

Ninja Scroll

X The Movie(Not as good as the series,obviously, for time constraints,but loosly follows the same plot with the same characters)

Ghost IN The Shell(I really liked this movie and reccomend it to all)

Perfect Blue(An alright movie, although much overated in my oppinion...its still good though)

Guest wildpegasus

Blood Reign :Curse of the Yoma

Galaxy Express 999

Cityhunter

Appleseed

Record of Lodoss War-The first one is fantastic

Street Fighter II the Movie

Giant Robo

Space Battleship Yamato

Astroboy-Fantastic!

3X3 Eyes

Gatchaman/Battle of the planets-Has anyone out there watched this? What do you think of it?

Edited by wildpegasus

Guest MD2020

I've been getting into Big O on Adult Swim. It's pretty good, but I don't know how it stacks up against all of these other shows since I'm not really an anime fan. FLCL is crazy, though.

However, I can safely state that Big O has the best theme song of all time. :D

My recommendations:

The first two TV seasons of Tenchi Muyo(don't EVER watch TIT!)

Records of Lodoss War TV season and OVA

Naruto(it hasn't been licensed yet, so you gotta d/l the subbed episodes)

Trigun

Mobile Suit Gundam

Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories

G Gundam

Slayers, all 3 TV seasons

Blue Gender(hasn't been terribly bad from what I've seen so far)

Inuyasha

YuYu Hakusho

Robotech

Movies:

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

AKIRA

Tenchi The Movie: Tenchi Muyo In Love

Tenchi Forever

Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma

Street Fighter 2: The Movie(kinda weak, but it's not terrible)

Street Fighter 2: Alpha- The Movie(see above)

Guest Doomsault

Movies:

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - Excellent animation and a great story.

Akira - Put fucking anime on the map.

Samurai X - Fuck that Rurouni Kenshin shit on Cartoon Network, it's the same guy but not goofy all the damn time. Simply one of the greatest stories ever.

Series

Cowboy Bebop - Of course, some of the best characters of any movie, anime or not.

Berserk - The ultimate in midievil action cartoons, top notch animation.

Outlaw Star - Inspiring story and cool animation.

Guest Doomsault

Movies:

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - Excellent animation and a great story.

Akira - Put fucking anime on the map.

Samurai X - Fuck that Rurouni Kenshin shit on Cartoon Network, it's the same guy but not goofy all the damn time. Simply one of the greatest stories ever.

Series

Cowboy Bebop - Of course, some of the best characters of any movie, anime or not.

Berserk - The ultimate in midievil action cartoons, top notch animation.

Outlaw Star - Inspiring story and cool animation.

DOUBLE POST DUMBASS^^^^LOL im just kidding.....I also rec. Vampire Hunter D..but man you sound pretty stupid Rurouni Kenshin and Samurai X are the same thing....Except the character is much more violent in the Samuria X OVA's. Rurouni Kenshin is still good though...If anyone reccomends DBZ I will be SUPER PISSED!

ALSO-It's nice to know there is an Anime community here.....I will be posting my review for the FLCL series soon.........

Guest wildpegasus

DBZ

-Sorry SpikeFayeJettEddBebop, but I like it. I only watched the first 50 episodes though and had to stop because I wanted to watch the original Japanese episodes. I thought it was a pretty fun show.

Question for hardcore anime fans:Has anyone seen either of the two Tiger Mask series?

Uh.....that's kinda hard to do. If its availible to rent or buy, someone has seen it......so...you guys(or gals)Tell me, gimme like five choices of things to review....ill find something...I can review Neo-Ranga Volume 1 or 2 also because im borrowing them from a friend. Also,I don't consider DBZ anime anymore, but that's just my oppinion.....So, any rec. on what to review in the next few days will be helpful. I am planning on doing my review over the weekend or early next week so please hurry with the reccomendations so I can get to the review...ALSO, if ya want ill still review FLCL at some point. I might re-watch it before I do.....ill review Jin-Roh or Cowboy Bebop the movie, it doesnt matter...just throw out something to review please....