TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Power outages reported in Northeast

20 Hours without electricity = :(

Food being ruined = :(

Crazy Traffic = :(

Listening to the same thing on the radio over and over and over again = :(

Rolling Pennies to pass the time = $2 :) :)

Why yes, I do have a lot of spare change ($100 in dimes alone)

RRR: LIKED the power outage.

I was lucky, most of connecticut (where I live) west of the river was hit but not east (which I live on the border of)...whew.

Which reminds me, I need to call my mother....

(Rendclaw @ Aug 15 2003, 03:23 AM)

People driving like idiots who don;t know that a traffic signal out at an intersection is a *4 WAY STOP*. 

That was fucking awful. A lot of people on Long Island basically ignored the stop sign rule, and went when they saw holes in the massive backups (It was especially awful on huge roads like 111, 112, Motor Parkway, and the service roads.) It's not like they stop for regular stop signs, though...

My roommate works in Ann Arbor, and he told me it was hellish getting home from there..

I can only imagine how bad it was in the NYC area.... speaking of that...

::runs to call his momma::

Guest Choken One

heh...My mother called me too...Although I live NO where near NYC, Toronto, Detroit, or Cleveland...

Guest Anglesault

Seven hours ithout power for me. Seems like Long Island got it back earlier.

Guest Retro Rob

I was one of the first to get it back on LI I think. Took about 9 hours. At least as far as Nassau county goes.

Guest Anglesault

I was one of the first to get it back on LI I think. Took about 9 hours. At least as far as Nassau county goes.

I'm in Nassau and it was almost seven hours on the button for me.

the worst part of the blackout for me was staying at work for 6 hours in the dark with no gas no money just in case the lights came back on when it was obvious they werent coming back on for at least another 10-12 hours

My concern now is that terrorists know how one power grid affects the country.

I couldn't believe that rational-minded people were thinking terrorists were behind this. I could understand it if you lived in one of the affected areas, lack of information coming in and a pack mentality, etc, but over on Fox News they were speculating like Mujaballi had pulled the plug or something. They even mentioned the recent MS Windows worm. I was shocked they weren't looking up for the black helicopter.

Anyhow, terrorist-wise, I couldn't see them doing this. Although nuclear power is safe and responsible, there is a lot more destruction to be gained by doing something at a nuclear plant than just simply shutting off the lights along a coast.

Guest Choken One

but shutting of the lights and causing a Riot would do the trick wouldn't it?

And considering that 50 million were affected and chaos did not immediately ensue (for which I am thankful), that says something. Most people just played it cool, though i heard from a friend in akron about the wild speculations.... I said to her that people are waiting for the other shoe to drop since Hussein's sons were killed, and events like this tend to fuel hysteria.

Thankfully cooler heads prevailed, though I can;t say the same is the power had been out in such a wide region for say, a week.

The power was out here for about 16-17 hours. I've been in brownouts in Florida in the dead of summer, not to mention not paying my power bill one time. This was nothing.

Guest Choken One

Yes thankfully all was good but you could think in some senses...

Maybe causing a riot would be Terroist activity and Blackouts historically has caused them..

My concern now is that terrorists know how one power grid affects the country.

I couldn't believe that rational-minded people were thinking terrorists were behind this. I could understand it if you lived in one of the affected areas, lack of information coming in and a pack mentality, etc, but over on Fox News they were speculating like Mujaballi had pulled the plug or something. They even mentioned the recent MS Windows worm. I was shocked they weren't looking up for the black helicopter.

Dude, come on.

If I was a New Yorker? The minute the lights went out, I wouldn't think much about it.

But the minute I heard that ALL the power was out in the ENTIRE city - and surrounding STATES - I'd immediately question whether something was going on.

Also remember that there was at least one power plant on fire at one point. If all of a sudden the lights went out, and a few moments later I saw smoke billowing up into the air - I'd start to freak out a bit.

We're unfortunately living in a world now where every major mishap such as this has to be questioned. And I don't think that's totally a bad thing.

Guest acnx

I live about 30 minutes west of Detroit, and I was out from 4PM-3PM friday. It was a really strange 24 hours.

I went out thursday night, once I found out what had happened, looking for gas and bottled water, and had to wait in line at a gas station for nearly an hour. One gas station was open, and EVERYONE was there.

I only had to wait about an hour, I say only because by the next morning every single gas station that was open anywhere around me had mile long lines. It was incredible to see, but one huge pain in the ass. People were coming from all over Michigan to gas up at places they heard were open and pumping gas. People were even starting lines at gas stations that were closed, hoping they would open sometime that day.

It was also weird(annoying) to see communities surrounding mine get power back, while I had to wait, but I guess it was a really tricky process to turn people back on.

But if you think about some of the cities this affected, New York and Detroit don't exactly have great reputations. I was surprised and very glad to see that people kept cool, and there weren't many incidents at all. The Detroit Police Department said there were actually LESS crimes committed than on a usual night, which is strange, but very good news. I was actually sort of proud to be from the Southeast Michigan area...weird shit.

Anyways, they said if a plant in Pennsylvania hadn't stopped it, the blackout could have went further south and as far as the Rocky Mountains. Crazy shit.

Dude, come on.

If I was a New Yorker? The minute the lights went out, I wouldn't think much about it.

But the minute I heard that ALL the power was out in the ENTIRE city - and surrounding STATES - I'd immediately question whether something was going on.

I just said that I could understand it for those living in the affected areas because most of them didn't have the TV news bringing them the latest information.

Also remember that there was at least one power plant on fire at one point.  If all of a sudden the lights went out, and a few moments later I saw smoke billowing up into the air - I'd start to freak out a bit.

That wasn't a fire. Bloomberg said that plant is designed to release that when it comes to a stop.

We're unfortunately living in a world now

Oh dear, here we go... :rolleyes:

Anyhow, terrorist-wise, I couldn't see them doing this. Although nuclear power is safe and responsible, there is a lot more destruction to be gained by doing something at a nuclear plant than just simply shutting off the lights along a coast.

I can see terrorists doing something like this. My point wasn't that they could make the northeast dark; it was that, if they can learn about the other major power grids, they could make most of the country dark. After September 11th, New Yorkers seem quite able to deal with adversity. Other parts of the country haven't see their hides toughened as much. If 80% of the country were dark, there would be a lot of problems, not the least of which is that communications would be effectively cut off.