TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JericholicEdgeHead

Does anyone else think...

Guest JericholicEdgeHead

I know I will sound like a broken record here, but I REALLY think WWE NEEDS to have some major changes and soon!!

I know I am not the only one who is tired of current WWE and the way they are doing buisness now. I think WWE needs MAJOR changes in not only the creative/booking but also the overall format of their shows.

Yeah..Yeah.. I know some will say I am too "old school" but WWE needs to get away from the "shock TV" "Attitude" style of wrestling. It has become old and dated and not shocking in my opinion. There is WAY too much focus on soap opera storylines and 5th grade humor and not enough on the matches and titles.

Here are some changes that I think could help the company:

1. Get the McMahons out of the storylines..PERIOD. There is NO reason why all 4 McMahons NEED to be on TV so much. They need to focus on the wrestlers and NOT McMahons and other non-wrestling figures. If a McMahon shows up on TV for a short period of time for a couple of weeks a year I could live with that (but that depends on the situation) but EVERY week on EVERY show is past overkill, it's plain stupid.

2. If they have to show skits backstage DON'T do this every show. It used to be something special or interesting when they would show wrestlers fighting or talking to each other "behind the curtain" now it is so common that it has become boring and stale and most of the time silly. They need to have everything take place in the ring or in front of the live crowd and use the backstage stuff as something speical and rare again. Unless it is for a interview.

3. When they bring in talent from OVW, give the fans a reason to "cheer" or "boo" them, for a lack of a better term. Give some of these guys and girls some sort of character, just throwing them out there with plain wrestling gear, with their real names and the same haircut will do NOTHING for them and it sure won't make people buy tickets or PPV's to see them wrestle. Should WWE give them a crazy over the top gimmick....maybe yes maybe no, but they NEED something!!!

4. Make storylines seem a little more believable. The over the top soap opera stuff has gone on far eneough as far as I'm concerned. They need to make the fans believe that two wrestlers really hate each other in other ways than the goofy lame "shock" storylines they have been using in the past couple of years.

They need to put more thought in the start, middle and end of how the feud will go before they even start it on TV. In other words they need to quit booking on the fly and actually PLAN feuds and storylines in advance.

5. To go with # 4 they need to PLAN things out way ahead of time. The booking on the fly method is horrible and leads to so many bad TV moments it isn't even funny. If they would plan ahead I think they would find that it would be A LOT easier each week to put on a better smooth flowing program. As it is with the lazy booking on the fly you get a lot of holes in storylines and poorly produced segments on the shows.

I could go on and on about getting rid of comedy comic book writers and what wrestlers they should push but that would really sound like a broken record. So I picked 5 things WWE NEEDS to do and soon. Of course this is my opinion and maybe I am off track here but I would like to think if they made some of these changes we would be getting a better wrestling product now.

Any opinions???

That's not even the tip of the iceberg, in my opinion.

- Do a complete overhaul of the RAW set and its whole presentation. It's just so old and stale and reeks of the attitude era. Those crystal things are just ugly. They need a new set, new music, new logos. A complete revamp. Strangely enough they did that on Smackdown. Oh yeah, and new commentators of course.

- Re-introduce stuff like a ranking system with no.1 contenders for the titles. It doesn't have to be strict, but at least provide a loose overview of where everybody stands at the moment.

- Following on my last point, start treating the programming as more of a sports show than a soap opera. The storylines have to be there of course, and I don't have anything against some skits. But the storylines have to be more competition-oriented. Not so much 'He drugged my wife' 'He stole my commercial spot' 'he wanted to set me on fire' or 'They're French and gay' stuff. What's wrong with feuds about 'He cost me my title shot and now I want to kick his ass' or 'It's my life-long dream to become WWE champion and nobody will stand in my way'?

- Eliminate the RAW tag titles, nobody cares and they serve no purpose. Try to create a competitive IC division instead. Ship the Dudleys to Smackdown as heels and send La Resistance to OVW. There, I just made room for 10-15 extra minutes on RAW every week that they could use for something interesting.

Far and away the biggest problem is pushing the wrong guys. Aside from that, the overall SE feel is only a minor annoyance to me and still popular to the marks. The storylines are ok bad aside from the usual Gerwitz 'comedy' crap, they are just used on the wrong guys. After you change who is getting pushed, then you can tinker with the product, but that problem has to be solved above all else.

Guest The Old Me

Ummm...major changes were needed after WMX-7. I loved heel Austin and all, but it was all downhill.

About the OVW guys just going out there under the whole "young rookie" thing.. it is very stale, I agree. Isn't it funny that Vince used to boast that his WWE was the best at creating CHARACTERS... not so much anymore, since there's about 5 or 6 guys out there with the same "young rookie who just came up from the bush leagues" gimmick.

About the OVW guys just going out there under the whole "young rookie" thing.. it is very stale, I agree. Isn't it funny that Vince used to boast that his WWE was the best at creating CHARACTERS... not so much anymore, since there's about 5 or 6 guys out there with the same "young rookie who just came up from the bush leagues" gimmick.

I agree with this, but I don't consider writers doing their job to be a major overhaul. Say what you want about La Resistance, but at least they are recognizable. Haas, Benjamin & Cena all are headed in the right direction character-wise. It is the Orlando Jordon or Garrison Cade's of the world that drive me insane.

Guest Super Pissed Smark

Any post that starts with the McMahon's having to take themselves off of TV obviously misses the whole point of the company.

Cut half the roster and end the split

Ok. You can say goodbye to Jericho, Matt Hardy, Rey, Dragon, etc. then while Vince, Steph & HHH take up all the time every week. Everybody knows what will happen.

Want to know why Vengeance is regarded at the best PPV of the year? Because we didn't have HHH, Nash, Steiner, Test, and all the other terrible RAW wrestlers screwing it up.

The worst possible thing that WWE could do right now is end the split.

Any post that starts with the McMahon's having to take themselves off of TV obviously misses the whole point of the company.

We recognize that, but it is still something that needs to be done. They can come around for big announcements like Linda does, but they should stay out of the day-to-day storylines.

Guest Super Pissed Smark

That's just not going to happen. They love us too much to deprive us of themselves.

The whole McMahon thing got out of control when Vince came back on TV. Before that, it was fine. I don't particularly like Steph, but when it was just her as a figure head, I could live with that. But since Vince feels he's such a heel, he has to be on. Oh, and we haven't seen Shane in a while: let's put him on again! And to make this one storyline seem important, let's throw Linda in there too. And let us not forget that we have two other figureheads on Raw right now in Austin and Bischoff.

What would help alot is to get rid of non-wrestlers in one of the biggest angles of the particular show. If they feel the need for a figure head, limit it to one per show. When it was just Steph and Bischoff, it was fine. Now, it's out of control.

Guest wildpegasus

Yes, the WWE is and always has been in need of a major overhaul. The simple solution is this:

Turn the WWE into 1990's All Japan. Problem solved!

Guest Super Pissed Smark

But if you got rid of all the non-wrestlers on the RAW side you'd be down to just Jericho, HBK and Lance Storm. :D

Man, that is SO true...I can't figure out why some want to end the split. Think of all the guys we most likely wouldn't be seeing on TV, if it wasn't for the split.

To those who for some reason would actually WANT to end the split, do you remember what it was like BEFORE?? Lot's of McMahons, HHH, UnderTaker, and Austin. Do you REALLY think that Jericho, RVD, Booker T, Christian, Rey Mysterio, Matt Hardy, John Cena, Eddie Guerrero, Brock Lesnar, or Kurt Angle would even be remotely on TV, or have their characters as developed as much as now?

Face it, in many ways, the split has been successful. There is room to elevate people, which is one of the MAIN reasons for the Dual Promotions.

Guest JericholicEdgeHead

"To those who for some reason would actually WANT to end the split, do you remember what it was like BEFORE?? Lot's of McMahons, HHH, UnderTaker, and Austin."

Hey I like the split but I don't see any changes in some things since we still get lot's of McMahons, HHH, Undertaker, and to an extent Austin.

Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist

Personally, i think it should make like NJPW and get into shoot stuff, because Pride and UFC are on a roll right now in the staes and Vince has to get involved sooner or later

That's not even the tip of the iceberg, in my opinion.

- Do a complete overhaul of the RAW set and its whole presentation. It's just so old and stale and reeks of the attitude era. Those crystal things are just ugly. They need a new set, new music, new logos. A complete revamp. Strangely enough they did that on Smackdown. Oh yeah, and new commentators of course.

- Re-introduce stuff like a ranking system with no.1 contenders for the titles. It doesn't have to be strict, but at least provide a loose overview of where everybody stands at the moment.

- Following on my last point, start treating the programming as more of a sports show than a soap opera. The storylines have to be there of course, and I don't have anything against some skits. But the storylines have to be more competition-oriented. Not so much 'He drugged my wife' 'He stole my commercial spot' 'he wanted to set me on fire' or 'They're French and gay' stuff. What's wrong with feuds about 'He cost me my title shot and now I want to kick his ass' or 'It's my life-long dream to become WWE champion and nobody will stand in my way'?

- Eliminate the RAW tag titles, nobody cares and they serve no purpose. Try to create a competitive IC division instead. Ship the Dudleys to Smackdown as heels and send La Resistance to OVW. There, I just made room for 10-15 extra minutes on RAW every week that they could use for something interesting.

Hey, I'm not trying to start shit, but if you ask me, the changes made on SD can absolutely NOT be considered an overhaul by any stretch of the imagination. The fucking ramp/titantron/entrance video wall shit has GOT to go. On both shows, not just SD. Whoo, that feels better.

Turn the WWE into 1990's All Japan. Problem solved!

Haha!!

Edited by JMTapes

Personally, i think it should make like NJPW and get into shoot stuff, because Pride and UFC are on a roll right now in the staes and Vince has to get involved sooner or later

Which WWE-ers do you think would do better in a shoot style?

What do you guys mean by 1990 All Japan? My knowledge on Puro is kinda blah.

It's pretty simple what they need. They need better, more well thought out storylines. Embarrassing stuff like Cena dreaming about slapping Stephanie's ass needs to go, and storylines with a little bit of focus like Kane's need to get tightened up a little.

The right people being pushed is not an excuse, as you've got Angle, Brock, and Guerrero getting the lion's share of the airtime on Smackdown and its still nowhere near as good as a typical show from '99.

Guest wildpegasus

Quote Steviekick

"What do you guys mean by 1990 All Japan?"

Basically, All Japan in the 90's was the polar opposite of what the WWE is. It was all about the great wrestling and clean finishes 100% of the time. I reccomend it to anyone.

Quote Steviekick

"What do you guys mean by 1990 All Japan?"

Basically, All Japan in the 90's was the polar opposite of what the WWE is. It was all about the great wrestling and clean finishes 100% of the time. I reccomend it to anyone.

Gotcha...that sounds way cooler than the WWE crap.

Guest Adrian 3:16
Man, that is SO true...I can't figure out why some want to end the split. Think of all the guys we most likely wouldn't be seeing on TV, if it wasn't for the split.

To play devil's advocate, I think most of us who say end the split are saying eliminate the excess McMahons, stale main eventers, and shitty wrestlers, not the entertaining guys. Granted it wouldn't happen that way, but since its all hypothetical anyway...

To those who for some reason would actually WANT to end the split, do you remember what it was like BEFORE?? Lot's of McMahons, HHH, UnderTaker, and Austin.

And that differs from today how exactly? We have more McMahons and HHH than ever.

Do you REALLY think that Jericho, RVD, Booker T, Christian, Rey Mysterio, Matt Hardy, John Cena, Eddie Guerrero, Brock Lesnar, or Kurt Angle would even be remotely on TV, or have their characters as developed as much as now?

Cena and Mysterio debuted after the split, and Brock beat it by like a week so I won't count him either, but all the rest were all over TV (for years in some cases) before the split.

Face it, in many ways, the split has been successful. There is room to elevate people, which is one of the MAIN reasons for the Dual Promotions.

So who's been elevated? Jericho and Angle were Champion before the split, and Angle's been as badly booked as ever post-split. Jericho for a long time was much worse off and is only now starting to recover. Eddie's about the same, Matt and Christian were always pushed, just not necessarily as singles, Booker's been used badly since the Invasion, and RVD is much worse off now if anything.

In a year and a half's time, the only successful (no, scratch that, the only attempted) elevation is Brock. That's not much of a track record.

Guest MissMattitude
Cut half the roster and end the split

Ok. You can say goodbye to Jericho, Matt Hardy, Rey, Dragon, etc. then while Vince, Steph & HHH take up all the time every week. Everybody knows what will happen.

Want to know why Vengeance is regarded at the best PPV of the year? Because we didn't have HHH, Nash, Steiner, Test, and all the other terrible RAW wrestlers screwing it up.

Good, then they can go somewhere they will be better utilised... and I won't have to waste my time watching the McMahon show anymore.

We have more McMahons and HHH than ever.

I know it's just a minor point but we certainly don't see much of HHH on TV anymore. He appears on the show maybe 5 minutes a week if he's lucky. I think that for the last three months at least, he's been the least used World Champion since the days when Raw was an hour long show fraught with jobber matches and the champion would show up once a month. Shit, even the S.H.I.T. gets more TV time than Triple H lately.