TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Insane Bump Machine

The One and Only Smackdown! HCTP Thread

In one of the gamespot videos Big Show supposedly counters a Kurt Angle Top Rope Elbow Drop by putting up his knees. Angle sells it, too. So it seems like Aerial Counters are included as a new feature. Can't confirm it because I can't watch the vids on Gamespot.

If it's true, then great.

Guest Random Hero

On a preview DVD my mate has, Jeff Hardy jumps off a ladder, only to be caught by Brock in a fallaway slam position. Brock then lifts him up onto his shoulders and F5's him. Looks really good, that's a pretty sweet addition to the game, unless it was just a camera trick or something.

if they have counters into smackdowns, that is going to kick all kinds of ass.....

the next step is to have tag team smackdowns, I think...

Not at all... I won just all the titles except for Hardcore.. got a compliment from Flair on having the UC, IC, Euro and Tag titles... it was a bit of a mark out moment to have that accomplishment recognized in the game not to mention being introduced as the Grand Slam Champion...

Wait they'll call you the Grand Slam Champion if you get all the belts at once

SWEETNESS

Not all, but the four major titles.. I wonder if you get recognized for possessing all seven.....

On a preview DVD my mate has, Jeff Hardy jumps off a ladder, only to be caught by Brock in a fallaway slam position. Brock then lifts him up onto his shoulders and F5's him. Looks really good, that's a pretty sweet addition to the game, unless it was just a camera trick or something.

Yeah...I got that DVD too. I marked the holy fuck out for that. I dunno if it was a trick or not, but still...

Damn this game keeps looking better with these screenshots.

OMG IGN Double Trouble!!!

IGN Wrestler of the Day - Christian

Entrance

Try to make him submit

They're all over the place

Like a balanced scale

Not quite enough

smackdownhctp_christian_090103_02.jpg

smackdownhctp_christian_090103_11.jpg

smackdownhctp_christian_090103_01.jpg

IGN Wrestler of the Day - D-Von

Entrance

Showing us what he can do

Whipping some ass

In trouble?(aerial counter by test, confirmed new feature)

Drop the bombshell!

smackdownhctp_dvon_090203_06.jpg

smackdownhctp_dvon_090203_07.jpg

smackdownhctp_dvon_090203_03.jpg

Edited by Insane Bump Machine

Yeay wrestler of the day at last, i've been waiting for someone to post it, i'm too lazy to go find it myself. Cheers IBM

It would reek of awesomeness more than anything in this game if Eddie has the lowrider enterance, it should be though shouldn't it? Considering everythings supposed to be up to date for Summerslam, so heres hoping for the best.

Also its cool that tope rope moves can now be countered like that, i'm looking forward to seeing the animation for the 5* Star being countered like that.

if they have counters into smackdowns, that is going to kick all kinds of ass.....

They had that in SYM already, but just for the Ankle Lock. Yeah, it would rock if they'd include more.

I should hope so--that was included in the AKI games--you could counter a punch/kick that was caught and go into your special.

It would reek of awesomeness more than anything in this game if Eddie has the lowrider enterance, it should be though shouldn't it? Considering everythings supposed to be up to date for Summerslam, so heres hoping for the best.

Since they already had vehicle entrances in the last games it shouldn't be a problem to include it. *crosses fingers*

Also its cool that tope rope moves can now be countered like that, i'm looking forward to seeing the animation for the 5* Star being countered like that.

Yeah, but who the hell counters a guillotine legdrop by pulling up their knees? Hopefully this is something that Yukes is going to fix in the end, because just having the animation skip to meet the needs of this one counter is kind of lame. Why not have the guy roll out of the way instead?

Since they already had vehicle entrances in the last games it shouldn't be a problem to include it. *crosses fingers*

Also just watched the taste of blood video looks quite cool.

Thats what i was thinking with the whole car enterances we've seen before it would take very little to get this into the game so i don't see any reason why not.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

This game, aside from ted Dibiase, looks rather unremarkable. I'll just save my coin and buy next years edition so they can get some of the other junk in there they didn't have time for HCTP.

I'm bored, don't feel like giving anymore hits to IGN than necessary, and want to save IBM some legwork since he's been doing everything in this thread. So...

---

The last few months have been an interesting time to be a fan of WWE Smackdown! It's been a consistent subject for an overflow of rumors, frequent mix-ups and last-minute alterations that Internet forums, in particular, have used as a breeding ground for all things speculation. The sheer amount of questions we get everyday concerning this game is astronomical. With that in mind and an almost-finished build sitting right here in front of us, we've decided to clear up any and all confusion surrounding the title in an effort to inform a hungry public as to what's going on.

To make sure that all of our information is 100% accurate, we verified with several of our contacts at THQ that the following was entirely true. We also made sure to ask them a truckload of questions; and as you will see, there have been a number of changes since the first announcements. Of course, some of this information we've already gone over in previous articles, but we believe in reiteration -- so here we go:

- There's a total of 16 different front grapples that every wrestler can perform. Depending on which direction you are pressing (and then which direction you press a second time), your combatant can use four moves each of signature, submission, power, and quick grapple types.

- Barring any last minute contract negotiations, below is the final confirmed roster for WWE Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain. There are 65 wrestlers in all and there will be no further additions made:

A-Train

Batista

Big Show

Booker T

Brock Lesnar

Bubba Ray Dudley

Charlie Haas

Chavo Guerrero

Chris Benoit

Chris Jericho

Christian

D-Von Dudley

Eddie Guerrero

Edge

Eric Bischoff

Goldberg

Goldust

The Hurricane

Jazz

John Cena

Kane

Kevin Nash

Kurt Angle

Lance Storm

Lita I don't get it, since she hasn't done jack shit besides being a crappy commentator.

Matt Hardy

Randy Orton

Rey Mysterio

Rhyno

Ric Flair

Rico

Rikishi

Rob Van Dam

The Rock

Rodney Mack

Sable

Scott Steiner

Sean O'Haire

Shawn Michaels

Shelton Benjamin

Stacy Keibler

Stephanie McMahon

Steve Austin

Steven Richards

Tajiri

Test

Torrie Wilson

Triple H

Trish Stratus

Ultimo Dragon

Undertaker

Val Venis

Victoria

Vince McMahon

Animal

Hillbilly Jim

Nikolai Volkoff

Ted diBiase

George Steele

The Iron Shiek

Roddy Piper

The Undertaker

Hawk

Jimmy Snuka

Sgt. Slaughter

Honestly, I'd much rather trade the legends for the missing wrestlers, but whatever.

- Previously announced grapplers Nunzio and Johnny Stamboli were pulled from the design schematic when it was realized that their gimmicks and character models would not be completed by ship time. Now fans of Chuck Palumbo can be pissed that the entire FBI is missing.

- Female wrestlers, whether they've been created or are previously-made, will not be able to be busted open or bleed.

Now Austin won't be able to have any fun with this game.

- Jerry Lawler and Jim Ross are playable characters that can tag with your wrestler in season mode only. They will not be selectable in any of the exhibition match types, and may end up computer controlled-only in season mode by the game's final release. On a related note, Jonathan Coachman shows up from time to time to help direct your character.

- The final list of titles are: WWE Championship, World Heavyweight Championship, WWE Tag Team Championship, World Tag Team Championship, Intercontinental Championship, U.S. Championship, Hardcore Championship, Cruiserweight Championship, and Women's Championship. None of the belts can be defended during an exhibition match.

- Create-A-Belt and Create-A-PPV, two features that were planned to be implemented in the original specs, did not make it past the planning stage and will not be included when the game is released.

- Recent gimmicks that have been added just in time for season mode include the Unmasked Kane and Evolution. Thankfully, Mae Young giving birth to a hand has been left out for the fifth year running.

- Match types include:

Single

Tag

6-Man Tag

Handicap

Hardcore

Royal Rumble

Survival

3 Stages of Hel

Bra & Panties

Cage

Elimination Tag

First Blood

Hell in a Cell

Iron Man

Ladder

Last Man Standing

Lumber Jack

Slobber Knocker

Special Referee

Submission

Table

TLC

Elimination Chamber.

- Speaking of the Elimination Chamber, THQ plans to allow players to break the glass in this particular match-up. Though we haven't been able to do this in our copy as of yet (representatives were unsure if the feature was active in our build).

- Damage taken in ambushes, regular matches, or hardcore bouts affect your health and stamina in later matches if you wrestle more than once on the same night.

Good.

- You can get screwed out of a the World Championship title and the Tag Team belts. No word yet on whether or not it can happen with other belts as well.

- The complete arena list is as follows:

Smackdown A

Smackdown B

RAW A

RAW B

Velocity

Heat

Royal Rumble 2003

No Way Out 2003

Wrestlemania XIX

Backlash 2003

Judgment Day 2003

Bad Blood 2003

Vengeance 2002

Summer Slam 2002

Unforgiven 2002

No Mercy 2002

Survivor Series 2002

Armageddon 2002

Rebellion 2002

Insurrextion 2002

- With the exception of the improved body morphing and interface. Create-A-Character is nearly identical to last year's version -- right down to the same original songs, nicknames, and introductions (even their number assignments are the same). THQ does plan to add a few more new ones before going final.

You better fucking add the stuff of people that are missing, assholes.

- Smackdown will keep track of every wrestler's Win/Loss/Draw record, the types of matches they wrestled, who they beat/lost too, and how many times they've won a particular title. The match history, however, is only limited to 200 bouts per character before it starts overwriting old matches.

- Existing wrestlers can have their move sets and entrances altered by the player, but gamers still won't be able to edit their appearances.

Smart way to pump the gamers for more money next year.

- And finally, concerning "The Big Secret" that's been floating around the Internet like a spirit possessed -- THQ has officially gone on record with IGN to state that it has "No idea where this rumor started or where it comes from", but they've assured us that there isn't any grand conspiracy or ultimate treasure to be revealed outside of what we've already covered in the previous weeks. Depending on who you are and what you we're expecting, take that news as painfully as you like.

I haven't even heard about this secret. If there were a rumor... it was probably put out by THQ/Yukes in order to get gamers' panties in a twist.

So there you have it: An absolute landslide of information concerning Here Comes the Pain. If anything, everyone should feel a little more informed and with any luck will stop sending us a flood of roster and "secret"-related emails that we get on a daily basis. Confirmed by THQ to be Final, the lineup and feature set above is finally a done deal and the curious can now rest easy until next year.

Be sure and check back with IGN over the coming weeks for our continued Smackdown Countdown 2003 wrestler profiles and additional coverage of Here Comes the Pain. See you soon.

---

There you go. I actually agree with Banky to a point, but I'll likely get it anyway, since I missed out on the last two versions. So that's a fair trade-off, in my mind.

Edited by KingOfOldSchool