Damaramu

Seriously is there any Rock respect?

Metal:

Metallica

Korn

Linkin Park

System of a Down

Deftones

Change the name rock and you got it. NEVER CALL LINKIN PARK METAL EVER AGAIN OR I WILL KILL YOU

dude...

that was an eMpTyV thinking.

if I said Metal it would be

Maiden

Motorhead

Megadeth

Mesuggah

Metallica

..Shadows Fall...

Actually, Fearhavoc, they wouldn't. Why? Because the older generation wants to make the MOST money of any generation in business, and instead of being smart and offering a truly varied approach, they're more interested in just pumping out the same shit with different labels.

Rock/metal/punk isn't nominated too much because MTV, like WWE, is run by older men whose fingers are no longer on the pulse, but jammed up their ass.

Would YOU like a chocolate-covered pretzel?

You would think if MTV was run by older men they would play more rock/metal/punk since they probably grew up on it. I doubt they actually listen to rap and todays version of "R&B."

I think it all comes down to business. Most young kids want to look at all the pretty pop stars and the over the top antics and glam (bling bling) of the rappers.

Unless you have an over produced gimmick and/or image like pop punk and rap/rockers (Limp Bizkit) young kids don't want to look at a bunch of ugly rockers who care more about instrumentation then image.

Exactly...real music is dead. The people that care about what they're putting out are gone. Now all you have are a bunch of image worried entertainers.

Have they ever even played a Johnny Cash video on MTV? I remember seeing the "Hurt" video on CMT one day while flipping channels, but I've never personally seen it played on MTV...come to think of it, everyone I've talked to has never seen it, they've had to download it to watch it...how can you nominate a video you don't play?

Guest El Satanico

An article about Cash's nomination i read on yahoo said MTV has played the "Hurt" video 6 times.

See, this is the shit that pisses me off...the video for "Hurt" is pure genius, and it's been played six times total. "Rock Your Body" is pure shit, and you're lucky if they play it less than six times a day.

Guest El Satanico

What's new, That's the way MTV has been for a long time.

Besides you have to remember MTV isn't a channel that runs programming that caters to the country music scene. The fact that a Johnny Cash video has aired on MTV at all is quite an accomplishment. Not to mention the fact that it has been nominated.

Guest El Satanico
I think it all comes down to business. Most young kids want to look at all the pretty pop stars and the over the top antics and glam (bling bling) of the rappers.

And it has pretty much been that way since the start of MTV. The 80's we had glam hair metal. The current era had glam bling bling rap.

Despite the arguments I'm sure such a comment will receive around here...bling bling rap = hair metal for the current era

Thankfully that bling bling shit has more or less died off.

I'd rather listen to Justin Timberlake than any of the so-called "real" music Damaramu jizzes over.

Umm...you act like I listen to music that nobody has heard of.

I'm pretty sure many people have heard of Metallica, Dropkick Murphys, Disturbed, Rancid, Less Than Jake, Bad Religion, etc. Because those are just a few of the bands I listen to. I really don't see how what I listen to isn't "real" music or whatever you call it.

Yes Rap, Pop, and R&B have there spot(well for me rap is debatable as I don't even see it as music) but they don't have to DOMINATE EVERYTHING. Because as of right now that's all I see. Those dominate the scene and Rock is lumped into one giant category and forced to fight over scraps.

Yeah I think it's bullshit....

Guest Fire and Knives

When stupid people like punk rock, Jason Navarro stubs his toe and says, "Fuck!"

K.

I'd rather listen to N'suck than listen to 50 year old try to re-live his glory days screaming through the microphone.GRRRRRRRRRRRR :lol: Not all rock is bad, but its like the guy who sings along while listening to his walkman and sings loud because he wants to hear himself, thats how I feel when I hear a rocker who sings too loud trying to hear himself over the instruments.

The funny thing is when you watch Control Freak, rock beats rap, r&b, and pop almost every single time. Yet other then a few bands they won't play any on MTV except in the late hours.

Damaramamamru, why's it always seem like anytime I look in this folder, you're shitting on rap? Ok, you don't like it, we get it. Quit your crying. I don't like every rap song or artist out there, but automatically dismissing something because it's of a certain genre is ridiculous. You wanna know why rock gets no respect? Because aside from a few select bands out there, it's in the shitter right now. Besides, the fact you say rock gets no respect is asinine. Look at this entire folder, it's all about rock or something of the similar genre. If this folder were the only outlet I had for hearing about music, I wouldn't even know anything but punk, rock, and death metal existed.

If this folder were the only outlet I had for hearing about music, I wouldn't even know anything but punk, rock, and death metal existed.

Hey, now that's not fair.

You'd also know about the different genres of metal such as power, thrash, and the like.

Seriously though, who gives a fuck? It's MTV, fer chrissake's. What they play and who they give awards to is pretty fucking irrelevant, if you ask me. Just listen to the people you want to listen to, and don't pay attention to MTV.

Works for me.

MTV is the epitome of what is wrong with the music industry. Every "artist" is packaged up to appeal to the broadest audience every in order to make the most money for the record industry. There are no ARTISTS on tv/radio anymore. You may hear a singer or band playing a song, but who wrote the lyrics, who composed the actually music, who taught the dancer all the fancy shmansy dance moves etc......If you do a little research you will see that most pop musicians these days are just required to come off looking good in a music video, but when it comes to what goes on behind the cameras, it has little to do with the talent of the pop act. Even the crap they pass of as rock bands are plagued with the same problems, mostly cause they suck. MTV/Radio is all mostly uninspired tripe made to jam down our throats until we just accept it as our own. Fuck you MTV, and Fuck you CLEAR CHANNEL.

Oh and Uranium is a good show, the quality of music on there(for metal fans)is better than Headbangers ball and/or MTV2 Extreme Rock, however between only being a 30min show, plus interviews cutting into the show, there is usually barely 4 videos shown. They need to make the show an hour.

Another thing rap/hip hop fans don't realize is that Rap is pretty much an american entity. I mean yes some of the bigger acts can do shows all over the world, however Rock/Metal are still much bigger on the WorldWide scale. A metal show in Norway sells more tickets than a hip hop show in Compton.

If you do a little research you will see that most pop musicians these days are just required to come off looking good in a music video, but when it comes to what goes on behind the cameras, it has little to do with the talent of the pop act.

You had to do research to find this out?

Guest Deebo

There's a very good chance Cash will win video of the year, IMO. His people and MTV wouldn't bring him all the way out there in his bad health unless he was winning.

Another thing rap/hip hop fans don't realize is that Rap is pretty much an american entity. .

Not anymore, Hip Hop is worldwide now, its big in Japan, UK, Brazil, Africa, and Cuba. Its not just American thing or a hood thing anymore.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I have NEVER seen a Japanese Rapper.

And people say you can't understand death metal...

Guest El Satanico

Of course you haven't seen a Japanese rapper...you're not in Japan.

The Japanese love american culture and anything popular here will be loved there and likely duplicated.

I know there's rap in the UK...and it's hilarious hearing someone rapping using british slang and cockney. Well ok The Streets are the only rappers I know of from the UK, but they rule.

Of course you haven't seen a Japanese rapper...you're not in Japan.

The Japanese love american culture and anything popular here will be loved there and likely duplicated.

I know there's rap in the UK...and it's hilarious hearing someone rapping using british slang and cockney. Well ok The Streets are the only rappers I know of from the UK, but they rule.

There's DJ Honda and he lives in Japan. and THe Streets is one person I believe. There's Ms Dynamite (UK) who's compared to Laryun Hill, and there's the So Solid Crew a big 30 something member group of rappers and singers.

There's a very good chance Cash will win video of the year, IMO. His people and MTV wouldn't bring him all the way out there in his bad health unless he was winning.

I think he's definitely going to win SOMETHING, but I'm not sure about Video of the Year. That would require MTV to have good taste.

I KNOW that there's a lot of Mexican and South American Rap. My co-worker used to bring a bunch of CD's of people rapping in spanish.

It was alright.

And there's also Russian Rap.

I will admit there's not AS much rap worldwide as rock, but if you compare Rock to Pop... Kylie Minogue would eat anyone from any other genre alive.

So there's no reason to claim that rock is somehow superior to rap in that respect, when pop is just even bigger...