TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

80's/Early 90's Era Movies

I find myself watching a lot of FLIX and the Encore stations for their 80's/Early 90's movies. I find I enjoy the 80's horror/comedies/sci-fi/action movies a lot more than todays movies. I ENJOY today's movies but there are more in the 80's/Early 90's that I enjoy for some reason. Even trash like Stone Cold starring your action hero god Brian Bosworth is better than some action movies today. I mean who didn't like Toy Soldiers?

Guest El Satanico

Stone Cold would've been complete shit regardless of when it was released.

It really all depends on what 80's movies you're talking about. There was alot of shit released back then too, so I can't say "yes the 80's were better".

The 80's owns our current era when it comes to horror and teen comedies. However, our current era owns the 80's in terms of dramatic movies.

In general I believe the movies to be better from an overall standpoint and I find them to be better viewing experience.

I could list all my favorite movies from the 80's but it would be a LONG list.

Guest The Grand Pubah of 1620
I find myself watching a lot of FLIX and the Encore stations for their 80's/Early 90's movies. I find I enjoy the 80's horror/comedies/sci-fi/action movies a lot more than todays movies. I ENJOY today's movies but there are more in the 80's/Early 90's that I enjoy for some reason. Even trash like Stone Cold starring your action hero god Brian Bosworth is better than some action movies today. I mean who didn't like Toy Soldiers?

I do miss some movies from that era, but not any of the ones you named.

Stone Cold was a steaming pile of shit that was trying to ripoff the real action movies of that time.

Don't really miss them at all.

But then again, I did grow up in the 90s, so I maybe be biased. Or rather unexposed to most films of that era.

<------ can't wait for 80s nostalgia to go away already.

Guest Ray

80's sci-fi/action movies ruled.....

Terminator

Predator

Robocop

Total Recall

Tremors~!

Love that stuff

80s sci fi/action was it. That's why I like Starship Troopers... it was so 80s. I miss R rated movies. Everybody goes for the pg 13 these days. Even though I was at most 8 years old during the 80s... I probably would have appreciated them at the time even more if I was older.

One great thing about the 80s were the HK action movies. From John Woo classics like A Better Tomorrow and The Killer to the early Ringo Lam stuff like City on Fire and Prison on Fire. I love these flicks.

Like IDRM said, the 80s were a great era for sci-fi and action movies. Some more:

Indiana Jones trilogy

Blade Runner

Aliens

Die Hard

Back to the Future(~!)

Brazil

The Thing (!!!), John Carpenter movies in general. I gotta watch Big Trouble in Little China again.

I also love 80s war movies like Platoon, The Killing Fields and Full Metal Jacket. They had a more rough cinematography than today's movies for the most part, which works out very good with war movies.

The 80s also featured some of the finest animation ever made with Grave of the Fireflies, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro and of course Akira.

Edit: Forgot A Chinese Ghost story, quite possibly my favourite asian movie.

Edited by Insane Bump Machine

a lot of the dramatic movies in the 80's were great

Raging Bull

Ghandi

Platoon

Room with a View

Say Anything (is that a drama or a Teen Comedy)

Ran

Paperhouse

Do The Right Thing

Born on the Fourth of July

Scarface

there's probably a bunch I'm missing

Guest El Satanico

Yeah of course the 80's had some great movies, but I don't think it was that much better than our current era.

Unless you're talking about horror sci-fi or teen movies, I'd say our current era is just as good.

When you look back on any era it will always appear to be better than your current era. When you look back on an era you will forget the bad aspects. In ten years people will look back at this era and say "boy you remember how great movies and music was back then" much like we do with the 70's and 80's.

John Carpenter + Kurt Russell = Great Action movies! And let's not forget the classic Russell & Stallone movie Tango & Cash.

The 80s also had alot of good/chessy kung fu movies like the Lucky Stars and Police Story series which featured Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao.

What was the martial arts movie where Sammo Hung played this retarded guy that had the mind of a six year old and Jackie Chan was his older brother? I fucking loved that movie.

I want to say Heart of the Dragon, but not sure. I think he played the role of the retard brother in 2 movies.

Some of my favorite movies with Sammo and Jackie:

My Lucky Stars

The Lucky Stars

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Stars

Meals on Wheels

Dragons Forever

Project A

The Prodigical Son - this one had Sammo & Yuen Biao only.

The Maginific Butcher - is another Sammo & Yuen Biao movie, this is one of the Drunken Master movies!

I also enjoy all of the Hung Fei Wong movies and the Drunken Master movies that features the character Sam Seed as played by Simon Yuen.

Edited by razazteca

Guest El Satanico

I know the "Kiss my converse" line, but I don't remember ever seeing The Last Dragon.

Leroy goes on a mission to look for his master Bruce Lee which leads him to a fortune cookie factory! Then he somehow gets on a Soul Train type dance show to look for the girl that he lust for. Then somehow Leroy has to fight Booker T because there can only be one black kung fu master in the hood.

And don't forget No Retreat, No Surrender where the ghost of Bruce Lee inspires yet another wayward soul into karate mastery.

I know Big Trouble in China has been mentioned, but you can't forget my other two favorites in a similar vein, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension and Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins.

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins.

Chiun is god. "The seasons move faster than you". "The trained mind does not need a watch. Watches are a confidence trick invented by the Swiss". I can watch that movie countless times just for him. I don't think it's nearly as much fun as BTILC, but Chiun alone makes it a closer match than it should be.

Jean Claude Van Dam was in No Retreat No Surrender as a Russian. The Ninja movies were good but after American Ninja 2 the series started to suck. Best of the Best was a good karate movie with Eric Roberts and Chris Penn of all people and part 2 had Brakus as the evil champion. The B movie spinoffs of the Van Dam series of Kickboxer and Bloodsport were nice cheap rentals at best.

Jean Claude Van Dam was in No Retreat No Surrender as a Russian. The Ninja movies were good but after American Ninja 2 the series started to suck. Best of the Best was a good karate movie with Eric Roberts and Chris Penn of all people and part 2 had Brakus as the evil champion. The B movie spinoffs of the Van Dam series of Kickboxer and Bloodsport were nice cheap rentals at best.

Remember Shootfighter? Cool movie.

But yeah, Best of the Best was definitely great. I remember them doing pushups on their knuckles and going "Dayum."