TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

Well Rounded Music Fans

I don't claim to be the most amazing music fan in the world, and I know that I'm not, but I believe that I am a more well rounded music fan and am more tolerable than most people when it comes to music.

I mean, I like Metallica and Robbie Williams and even some Good Charlotte and Sum 41. Primal Scream and Coldplay are my kinda thing and I think Radiohead are getting good again.

So, I was wondering about two bands in particular that a lot of people seem to hate, and that is Radiohead and Coldplay. I personally see nothing wrong with them. I think both bands can be a bit whiney and depressing but the music is fucking class, this is excluding Radiohead from OK Computer up untill Hail to the Thief. Coldplay really seemed to improve with their 'Rush Of Blood To The Head' album.

After seeing both bands this year at festivals, I was blown away, so I ask, what's so bad, and I don't want the whole 'pretentious' crap again. I want to know what is wrong with their music and in Radiohead's case, pre-OK Computer.

Guest Derek Bailey

Coldplay are sickeningly bland, but would probably be met with indifference by most if they weren't absolutely everywhere. As they are, the sound of them makes me want to vomit. As for Radiohead, much of the criticism I read seems to come from those who haven't listened to anything post-OK Computer (or even post-Bends) but despise them solely because of the hype behind them. I don't hear much of this alleged pretentiousness in their music either.

Guest Choken One

Coldplay are getting better and avoived the Radio Head comparisons...

Radio Head is just complete Drivial that's supposedly arty and sophistacted and the lyrics are so mind numbingly atrocious...

Not liking a band because of hype ? Personally, I think it's wrong to not like a band just because of the hype they get. Radiohead USED to get it for a good reason. Fuck knows how OK Computer was named one of the best albums of all time though.

The post-OK Computer stuff was really bad IMO. OK Computer wasn't great either but it had Karma Police, Airbag, Exit Music and No Surprises. Kid A and Amnesiac had standout tracks and Hail To The Thief is an amazing improvement on those two albums.

Radio Head is just complete Drivial that's supposedly arty and sophistacted and the lyrics are so mind numbingly atrocious...

AHA ! Someone with REASON ! Nice to see someone putting up something that constitutes an arguement now. Personally I think the lyrics are cool, but not really INTO them, but that, and the music combined used to be enough to make me listen.

Guest Jack Tunney

Could you give an example please?

Some people just do not like easy listening British music.

That actually brings me to a point, to the US actually put out these bands ? Ive heard of Dave Matthews and heard he's a kinda easy listening but I aint heard him myself.

Guest Random Hero

I find Coldplay and Radiohead to be boring, that's basically it. No songs from either have ever captured my attention. Also Chris Martin dances like a prat.

Also I'm one of the more well rounded music fans I know, my tastes include Phil Colins, Paul Young, Black Label Society, Type O Negative, Elton John, Faith No More, Pink Floyd, Nate Dogg, AFI. I'll give most things a chance.

Guest BAR

I don't find them boring, necessarily. I just dislike them.

I go from the Floyd, to the Eagles, to Slayer, to Snoop Dogg. Well, actually, maybe not. I've dabbled in the last three, but I'm mainly all about the Floyd, Sabbath, Led Zep, Met, Kyuss, and the like.

I'm annoyed at that British publication that said Radiohead was the best band of all time or whatever. I'd expect that ignorance from dumb Americans, but the English? The country gives us the Beatles, the Who, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, the Kinks, Pink Floyd, the Clash, and Jethro Tull, and they pick Radiohead.

Guest BAR
I'm annoyed at that British publication that said Radiohead was the best band of all time or whatever. I'd expect that ignorance from dumb Americans, but the English? The country gives us the Beatles, the Who, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, the Kinks, Pink Floyd, the Clash, and Jethro Tull, and they pick Radiohead.

Over here, most people haven't got a fucking clue who half those bands are. History is forgotten. "Pink Floyd, what does he play?"

Robbie Williams was crowned the number 1 male of all time on VH1's 100 countdown, beating MJ, Lennon and Elvis.

Guest Random Hero
Robbie Williams was crowned the number 1 male of all time on VH1's 100 countdown, beating MJ, Lennon and Elvis.

To further show how stupid that is, everyone from America who reads that will be like Robbie who?

It would be nice if people who knew how to talk about music were the only ones to do so.

Over here, most people haven't got a fucking clue who half those bands are. History is forgotten. "Pink Floyd, what does he play?"

"the band is just fantastic,

that is really what I think

oh by the way, which one's Pink?"

Far too many people are channeling Roy Harper's immortal line these days. It's pathetic.

Some people just do not like easy listening British music.

That actually brings me to a point, to the US actually put out these bands ? Ive heard of Dave Matthews and heard he's a kinda easy listening but I aint heard him myself.

The tell the truth the only person that comes close is Nora Jones and she won several grammys last year. Then there is Tori Amos and several other women singers that I can not remember now. There is a market here but it does not include sensitive men expressing their feelings in song in a non angry manner.

Maybe Morphine, Fun Lovin Criminals, Phish would count but I do not know.

I mean, I like Metallica and Robbie Williams and even some Good Charlotte and Sum 41.

That's not well rounded. That's just stupid.

Anyhow, I like Radiohead, but more for their less known tracks. Big Ideas and True Love Waits are two of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. They aren't as good as they used to be, and they've started to become a band people name-drop to be alternative, but they're a very good band on all levels.

Coldplay, on the other hand, seem to have started believing their hype. I personally find them to be the sort of music middle class people put on in the background when they have dinner parties. They're safe, unemotional, bland and rather repetitive. "Don't Panic" off the first album, on the other hand, is superbly concise, emotional, catchy song and the fact they're capable of stuff like that just makes their newer stuff even sadder.

I mean, I like Metallica and Robbie Williams and even some Good Charlotte and Sum 41.

Stupid ? How is it stupid ? I happen to like most types of music due to being more tolerable than most people who go 'GOOD CHARLOTTE ARE SHIT !!!!!' just because it's cool to do so. True Love Waits I didnt like on Kid A or Amnesiac, Im not sure which it was on, but I have to say that True Love Waits was AWESOME on the I Might Be Wrong CD.

Guest Fire and Knives
It would be nice if people who knew how to talk about music were the only ones to do so.

My boss was trying to tell me yesterday that Good Charlotte is good because lots of people like them. Then he started singing "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". My boss is from Sierra Leone, and that accent combined with that song is how seriously traumatic nightmares begin.

On the subject of Radiohead, I have yet to hear a coherent arguement from one of the band's detractors as to why the band is 'overrated' or 'pretentious'. I was orginally put off by all the hype, but actually listening to OK Computer and Kid A certainly changed my mind.

As for the topic, I consider myself reasonably eclectic. My tastes lean more towards hip-hop as of late and I've been into punk for as long as I can remember (Pennywise's "Full Circle" was the first CD I owned), but they certainly aren't the only things I listen to. Depeche Mode, The Flaming Lips, Pink Floyd, Elvis Costello, ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead, Pavement, and the Jesus & Mary Chain are all currently on the playlist. I also listen to a little bit of metal on occasion (mainly Nevermore and Katatonia, and Opeth in small quantites - I'm not counting Damnation, which is awesome on many levels) and I plan on seeing Andrew W.K. next week at the 9:30 Club, because I have no shame in me at all.

K.

Guest Fire and Knives

Stupid ? How is it stupid ? I happen to like most types of music due to being more tolerable than most people who go 'GOOD CHARLOTTE ARE SHIT !!!!!'

It's stupid because Good Charlotte is bad. They can't even play their watered-down version of bubblegum punk well. Punk is just timing. Good Charlotte has no timing. Their lyrics are insipid -- I was unfortunate enough to hear their new single today; girls like boys, just not spoiled assholes that think they're BIG PUNK RAWK STARZ. They claim Waldorf to look more urban when half of them grew up twenty minutes from where I live. Though to be honest, I'm glad they do, because the less they associate themselves with my home, the happier I'll be.

And Benji looks like a fucking clown with all that damn makeup on.

Good Charlotte is bad.

K.

Guest Jack Tunney
True Love Waits I didnt like on Kid A or Amnesiac, Im not sure which it was on, but I have to say that True Love Waits was AWESOME on the I Might Be Wrong CD.

It's only on IMBW,they havent done a studio version yet.Have you heard the old version from 1995 with the keyboard part?It's even better.

(damn,I just outed myself as a big Radiohead nerd)

Guest Derek Bailey

A video of that first performance with the keyboard arpeggios is available here, along with other videos of interest like the unreleased song Lift, a lip-synched TV performance of Just and How To Disappear Completely with instrumentation consisiting entirely of one acoustic guitar and three Ondes Martenots.

Stupid ? How is it stupid ? I happen to like most types of music due to being more tolerable than most people who go 'GOOD CHARLOTTE ARE SHIT !!!!!'

It's stupid because Good Charlotte is bad. They can't even play their watered-down version of bubblegum punk well. Punk is just timing. Good Charlotte has no timing. Their lyrics are insipid -- I was unfortunate enough to hear their new single today; girls like boys, just not spoiled assholes that think they're BIG PUNK RAWK STARZ. They claim Waldorf to look more urban when half of them grew up twenty minutes from where I live. Though to be honest, I'm glad they do, because the less they associate themselves with my home, the happier I'll be.

And Benji looks like a fucking clown with all that damn makeup on.

Good Charlotte is bad.

K.

First off, I'd just like to state that I meant that first statement as a semi-joke, as a rip-off of a Family Guy quote.

However, as Mr. K just said, Good Charlotte really aren't that good. People don't dislike the because everyone else does, they dislike them because they suck.

And Robbie Williams is quite possibly the worst musician this millenium. Aside from the fact that he's an arrogant, egotistical, yet blatantly insecure, twat, his music is almost all bland, vacuous shit. It's music for people who don't really like music. And his voice is weeker than a drag queen. He murdered some of the greatest songs in the world, and thought he sounded like one of the greats! Dick.

Sum 41 and Metallica are hardly the best bands in the world either (sorry but Metallica are deeply over-rated, especially based on the last 10 years, and Sum 41 will never be as good as their videos or production values).

There is a big difference between listening to diverse styles of music, and listening to good bands.

A video of that first performance with the keyboard arpeggios is available here, along with other videos of interest like the unreleased song Lift, a lip-synched TV performance of Just and How To Disappear Completely with instrumentation consisiting entirely of one acoustic guitar and three Ondes Martenots.

Fooster delivers, and I am converted.

It's a shame that stuff like Lift, Big Ideas, a studio version of True Love Waits, a studio version of the original Motion Picture Soundtrack, Big Boots or Climbing Up The Ladder will likely never be released. One of the main reasons that Radiohead have such critical acclaim, and such a strong fan base, is that most of their b-sides are better than many bands full albums. The day that Coldplay start doing this they can go up on that pedestal too.

And Robbie Williams is quite possibly the worst musician this millenium. Aside from the fact that he's an arrogant, egotistical, yet blatantly insecure, twat, his music is almost all bland, vacuous shit. It's music for people who don't really like music. And his voice is weeker than a drag queen. He murdered some of the greatest songs in the world, and thought he sounded like one of the greats! Dick.

Are you saying I don't really like music ?

Are you saying I don't really like music ?

No, I'm just saying that most people who think Robbie Williams is even remotely special have a limited taste in music.

Oh and another thing, it isn't up to you guys to decide who's good and who isn't because everyone likes different shit and people that don't like certain bands tend to just call them crap and then shit on the opinion on others just because they don't agree with it just like what you are doing. It would be easy to say 'Oh, ok, Good Charlotte are shit' but I like them, and I also like Robbie Williams, and I don't EXPECT other people to agree with me, I just expect people to accept it. I suppose my expectations are a little high.

Oh and another thing, it isn't up to you guys to decide who's good and who isn't because everyone likes different shit and people that don't like certain bands tend to just call them crap and then shit on the opinion on others just because they don't agree with it just like what you are doing. It would be easy to say 'Oh, ok, Good Charlotte are shit' but I like them, and I also like Robbie Williams, and I don't EXPECT other people to agree with me, I just expect people to accept it. I suppose my expectations are a little high.

I have no problem with anyone liking Robbie Williams or Good Charlotte, but you have to understand that they really aren't that good musically, lyrically or stylistically. On any level. Ever. In the history of music.