TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DeputyHawk

Racism in Current Events

By that logic, should someone be banned for making insensitive comments about Mole's mum or not?

By that logic, no.

However, tasteless comments like that can subject someone to an immediate ban at a mod's discretion. There's a line that has to be drawn, since the administration has to create a forum where people will want to post. IMO, joking about faux mental illnesses is not over the line, but posting about raping someone's dead mother is.

Guest Crucifixio Jones

What if I threatened to hunt you down and stab you in the face? And Tom, you KNOW I WILL do it.

What if I threatened to hunt you down and stab you in the face? And Tom, you KNOW I WILL do it.

I'd shoot your loud retro gear-wearing ass before you could even pull the knife.

I'd pay you.

Guest DVD Spree
I can't stand how people get so up tight about jokes which are made in good fun. I don't piss my pants when someone makes a joke about a white guy or a person from down south. I know it's all in fun, and I laugh right along with whoever tells the joke.

It's a fine line, yes, but too many people are getting way too uptight. Not just here, I'm not even really talking about here, just society in general.

People are "disrespected" way too easily in this day and age.

Jerry Sadowitz has a REALLY fucking good take on the whole issue of race/weight/gender/sexuality jokes.

Jokes are fucking jokes, and they're almost without exception made at the expense of someone or something, which means that someone, somewhere is inevitably going to be slighted.

Therefore, the jokes that you find offensive are a kind of tax that you pay in order to enjoy jokes that you don't. So if you're a fat guy and someone tells a fat joke that you don;t like, well, that's just your tax for enjoying the joke about women that your sister finds upsetting.

Pretty good system, IMO.

Ah, but what if you are like me and don't find race/weight/gender/sexuality jokes funny.

Wheres my damn joke taxes going dammit!!!

*bangs table with fist*

*kinda hurts fist*

*will stick to shaking fist in anger from now on*

Guest JMA

Al Bundy French jokes=funny

Jokes about the French dying=un-funny

That pretty much sums it up.

Ah, but what if you are like me and don't find race/weight/gender/sexuality jokes funny.

*bangs table with fist*

*kinda hurts fist*

*will stick to shaking fist in anger from now on*

Well... then apparently you don't have enough humor in your life since you don't find the humor of going to a state fair and trying to figure out if the fat dude infront of you getting a half gallon of butter on his Corn on the Cob has bigger tits then the girl you are there with.

Well, as a moderator, I've only got one thing to say about all this...

...if the people ignoring the "no photography" signs in the museum were Japanese, then Marney, how would you expect them to be able to read them, assuming that they'd be in English? (Unless of course they were some pictographic symbol along the lines of the Ghostbusters logo.)

Guest Crucifixio Jones

I'd shoot your loud retro gear-wearing ass before you could even pull the knife.

I'd pay you.

Awwww...

You're next to have your face raped by my blade, honey. I'm sure it'd be the only time someone would actually WANT to rape you in any way, too.

...if the people ignoring the "no photography" signs in the museum were Japanese, then Marney, how would you expect them to be able to read them, assuming that they'd be in English?

Well, first of all, there's a big desk at the entrance where security guards temporarily confiscate people's cameras as they enter. Second, he was trying to conceal his tiny little disposable camera in his jacket and every time a guard walked by he'd stuff it back into his pocket. Third, when I told him to stop it, he argued with me in English. Fourth, when I told a guard to kick him out, he argued with the guard in English. Fifth, it's standard practice all over the world to forbid flash photography in art galleries. And finally, there was quite a large "pictographic symbol along the lines of the Ghostbusters logo" at the aforementioned entrance.

But maybe I'm easily convinced.

Edited by Cancer Marney

You're next to have your face raped by my blade, honey.  I'm sure it'd be the only time someone would actually WANT to rape you in any way, too.

Quite correct; most people are smarter than you. But you'd be more than welcome to try. It might divert me for all of twelve seconds if I'm bored.

Guest cobainwasmurdered
People can find facts to back up anyside of an arguement.

There is no one correct truth. Truth is a concept.

How cute.

The oh so popular statement which people use when they do not want to believe facts and truths.

Oh please Brent. I think you know me well enough to know I'm not like that.

Here's an example:

American: The truth is America is the greatest country in the world. We have more money and power.

Canadian: Canada is the greatest nation. We have mooses and a better standerd of living than America.

French guy: We are the greatest nation because...............(Well you get my point)

Anyone can say that their country is the greatest and can provide facts why this is true. But in the end all the facts won't change the FACT that you'll believe you own country is the best no matter what.

Guest cobainwasmurdered
I am a regular poster and I have a problem with the way MikeSC conducted himself in this thread:

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?...ST&f=18&t=38710

That's not a "Spirited" debate. It's flaming and it's ignorant.

The "shall I buy you a gun..." remark seems a little over the top, but I have no problems with the rest of it. I see the scenario as this: Rant and Mike posted a couple of jokes in the thread, then everyone who had ever taken an antidepressant theatrically overreacted. I've been online for almost ten years now, and I still fail to see why people give such weight to the words of a complete stranger on their computer screen.

Since everyone else is fond of quoting the board rules around here, I'll play along:

5. Flaming is allowed in No Holds Barred and is discouraged everywhere else. If you have a problem with someone, take it to NHB. Depending on mod’s discretion, flaming outside of NHB can be subject to a one-time warning. Absolutely TASTELESS comments are subject to ban via mod’s discretion regardless of the forum. Keep in mind, though, that a stranger calling you a name on the internet is just that: a stranger calling you a name on the internet. It's really not that important in the grand scheme of the forums. Many problems with "flaming" can be overcome by simply ignoring the other party.

Emphasis added, because it apparently needs to be.

Alright. Though honestly I don't care about "name calling" I care about the rude slander towards people who suffer from depression.

But I'm willing to digress.

American: The truth is America is the greatest country in the world. We have more money and power.

Canadian: Canada is the greatest nation. We have mooses and a better standerd of living than America.

French guy: We are the greatest nation because...............

I like you a little better now. :)

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Lol. Don't get me wrong. I dislike the French. I'm Canadian, I have to listen to french Canadians whine all the time, I have to learn their worthless language in school so the snooty waiter at fancy restraunts can correct my pronounceation.

Luckly if I get mad at the waiter he starts running and doesn't stop for 5 blocks.

Frnech people...

Luckly if I get mad at the waiter he starts running and doesn't stop for 5 blocks.

Frnech people...

OMG RAYCISM OUTSIDE THE CE FOLDER~!!111!!!11!!

BAN PLZ~!!!11!!11!!1!!!!!!!

Guest DVD Spree
Anyone can say that their country is the greatest and can provide facts why this is true. But in the end all the facts won't change the FACT that you'll believe you own country is the best no matter what.

Well, I'm English, and I'm under no false pretences - this is a shit place to live. Bumbling government, high prices, high taxes, ridiculous over-bureaucracy, crap weather, monarchy, public healthcare...

Guest DVD Spree

*bangs table with fist*

Ah, y'see, that's the thing about taxes - we all gotta pay them, even if we don't benefit from them.

I guess you could fight the system by not finding anything offensive, and laughing at everyone else. Or refuse to laugh at any joke in protest.

Well, I'm English, and I'm under no false pretences - this is a shit place to live. Bumbling government, high prices, high taxes, ridiculous over-bureaucracy, crap weather, monarchy, public healthcare...

Yeah, but we've always got Robbie Williams...

Guest DVD Spree
Yeah, but we've always got Robbie Williams...

AAAARARARGRAGAGGAGGAH!H!HH!H!!!!!!

I'm not exactly a Robbie fan. That said, even HE upped sticks and moved to the States. And as I was saying to Downhome the other night, we don't even get Hershey's Syrup here.

I should'a stayed in LA.

Gee, I thought public healthcare was supposed to be the closest thing to Eden?...

Gee, I thought public healthcare was supposed to be the closest thing to Eden?...

No, it just makes hurting yourself a less stressful process.