TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wrestlingbs

Kids blame Video Games, GTA..

Guest wrestlingbs

Credit ABC news and AOL:

NEW YORK (Sept. 6) - The family of a slain motorist has filed suit against the maker of a video game that two teens claim inspired them to shoot at passing cars on a Tennessee highway.

Grand Theft Auto, a video game that allows players to "fire" on people and cars in realistic, shoot-'em-up fashion, is a cash cow that propelled manufacturer TAKE2interactive to the top of the video game industry. For the middle and high school students who play the game for hours on end, it's a means of escaping the monotony of teenage life.

But for two stepbrothers, 16-year-old William and 14-year-old Joshua Buckner, that escape turned deadly this summer. They told police they were emulating Grand Theft Auto on the night of June 25 when they took shotguns to Interstate 40, near their Newport, Tenn., home, and opened fire on vehicles.

----

idiots, f*cking idiots...

I know I'm biased on this issue, because I want to make video games as a career, but quite frankly enough is enough. Every time some middle America suburbian teenager goes nuts or does something really stupid, it's not his fault, it's video games/movies/tv/music. Take responsibility for your own actions, retards! There are millions upon millions who have played GTA, watched a Die Hard movie, or listened to Eminem, and have enough brain cells not to go out killing people. Yet in the aftermath there is always some lawyer or family who wants to cash in. Why not sue the boys' parents?

Whew, I'm sorry. Got off on a little rant there. My point is, while GTA is violent, people sould learn to understand the difference between fiction and reality. In the full article they talk about a group called Nut Case who play GTA to get worked up to go commit crimes. There's obviously deeper issues than a video game at work here, people. I feel sorry for what's happened, but I also don't want this to put a black eye on the video game industry.

Well they are in Tenn, so more than likely they are rednecks who's parents bought them guns for hunting or whatever and they had access to them.

Fucking idiots, I hope they treat them as adults and they go to prison for murder.

Guest Fook

This looks like another cheap attempt bring media attention to the trial and make a big payday at the expense of the video game industry.

But for two stepbrothers, 16-year-old William and 14-year-old Joshua Buckner, that escape turned deadly this summer. They told police they were emulating Grand Theft Auto on the night of June 25 when they took shotguns to Interstate 40, near their Newport, Tenn., home, and opened fire on vehicles.

Hmm, I wonder if you could shoot illegal aliens trying to enter America and say that you were emulating Space Invaders?...

Sounds like they had some issues before they started playing GTA...

Hmm, I wonder if you could shoot illegal aliens trying to enter America and say that you were emulating Space Invaders?...

Well I hear in Texas they don't even need an excuse outside of "He was on my property."

I'm sure the CIA would be at your door in a matter of minutes, and probably drug you.

Fuckin Morons...

Guest thrall585

It is not the video game company's fault. It is the parents. They should have sued them and not the video game company.

The video game defense hasn't worked yet that I know of, why would it work now. News flash world, nothing makes you do anything other then YOU deciding to. Sure people can threaten you, but you can still opt to NOT do what they tell you to do.

And here we go again with the video game controversy that first started with Mortal Kombat 1.

Guest croweater

this is getting really really stupid.

I can understand the parents want revenge but to take it out on the video game industry?

I can't help but think that some lawyer's whispered it into their ears.

All the defense needs to do is point out is a war, perhaps between the Greeks and somebody, and ask what video games they had.

All the defense needs to do is point out is a war, perhaps between the Greeks and somebody, and ask what video games they had.

That was war, this is murder. Of course, that doesn't mean they didn't have a lot of that back then too.

Do they mean Grand Theft Auto, that overhead perspective game that kinda sucked, or GTAIII/Vice City? These publications seem to never know there were two games before it.

It's a "M" rated game. Rockstar bears no responsibility.

It is not the video game company's fault. It is the parents. They should have sued them and not the video game company.

The kids' parents aren't going to be able to award them millions of dollars.

The video game defense hasn't worked yet that I know of, why would it work now. News flash world, nothing makes you do anything other then YOU deciding to. Sure people can threaten you, but you can still opt to NOT do what they tell you to do.

This is what I don't understand. They have been trying this for over 10 years now and have never won. You think they would give up by now.

Guest Choken One

All I gotta point to is the Twinkie defense...I can understand why they would go for outlandish defenses because you don't get more outlandish then the twinkie defense.

Guest thrall585
The kids' parents aren't going to be able to award them millions of dollars.

I meant them suiing the parents for all they have. This way they can get some money instead of getting nothing from suiing the video game company. Plus the parents should land in jail for life and possibly get the death penalty since they are legally responsible for their kids.

Edited by thrall585

Playing violent video games doesn't make me want to kill people.

Reading about stupid shit like this makes me want to kill people.

That is gold!

And here we go again with the video game controversy that first started with Mortal Kombat 1.

Yeah. I played that game all the time and it had no negative effects on me...

*rips out innocent bystanders heart*

...none whatsoever.