TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Everyone Unite: Lets put an end to that rap music

It's pretty strange that so many of you feel that the worth of a song hinges on lyrical content. The vast majority of song lyrics are either incredibly stupid or embarrassingly trite or both, but there's no reason why that should lessen your enjoyment of the song. I mean, if you can't find something to like in the total nonsense of "Louie Louie," then you're pretty much missing the point.

My point: That rap music isn't all about being a thug, hustler, or pimp. Also, that one who dresses like the stereotypical "rap star" isn't a always thug, hustler, and pimp. In addition, that people shouldn't piss on rap music for its lyrical content or its negative consequences on society because there are far worse, yet acceptable, things out there.

Nelly & Kelly are suburbia but Mary J and Method Man keep it street.

You're so clever. I'd like to think that the Method Man and Mary J song has more of a hip hop tip to it that Dilemna. The difference I see is that if Nelly wasn't "rapping" in Dilemna is would have been a normal pop song. If Mary J was singing on All I Need without Method it would be still be a hip hop-ish (?) song.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I think it's funny how a discussion about rap turned into two white guys talking about Aerosmith.

Personally, I don't know the first thing about the genre, and can count all the rappers I don't mind on one hand. Ain't my thing.

Guest Plushy Al Logan
I think it's funny how a discussion about rap turned into two white guys talking about Aerosmith.

Personally, I don't know the first thing about the genre, and can count all the rappers I don't mind on one hand. Ain't my thing.

::Signs pettition to toss Aerosmith off a cliff::

Guest Plushy Al Logan
Do you listen to anything that isn't hair metal or elvis?

Pink Floyd

The Doors

Jimi Hendrix

AC/DC

Megadeth

Metallicrap (sometimes)

Journey

Dean Martin

Baroque Operas

Its time to end that darned rap music people.  There is nothing hip about that hop.
How do you think we should handle this problem, Banky?

Its making all these kids wear gold chains outside their unbuttoned collars,
One of my pet peeves is the unbuttoned collar. If you're rockin' the collar, it bes bee buttin, yo!

teaching them to have unprotected sex,
But homies got no love for the jimmy hat.

and shit - rap music makes people kill one another.
Rumor has it that Bin Laden likes to put on some NWA while torturing infidels.

There wasn't hustlas until rap music made it fashionable.  Gangs? Shiiiit, I'm sure the Black Panters were influenced by that devil rap music.
Darn tootin! Back in the day these shysters and goons would be locked up instead of being praised.

Busta Rhymes? What kinda name is that?

Obviously it's the name of a person that can not spell properly.

Ebonics? Its fucking ruining our education system.

U bes ba-lee dat!

Khakis? Shit, you better have a Polo shirt tucked into them...if not, you're a hoodlum looking to nails some broads.
If these slobs had jobs, they would know that the only time you can have an untucked shirt is on "Casual" Fridays at the office.

Those rap stars set such a bad example for todays youth.  Jesus, thank goodness we have a moral President who bombs innocent people and our another one who had extra-marital affairs while on the job.
Hey, don't hate if the Prezill-dizzyle wants to git his freak or war on.

But for the love of GOD, lets put an end to the rap music!  Its such a bad influence.  All you homeboys better limit your clothing attire to only two sport jerseys...and I'll be damned, that they better match the hat on you're head.  That would be a fashion faux-pa.
And the jersey and hat should only be worn when you're rootin' for the home team.

You kids think you're so fucking ghetto.  Better wash that rap music out with a little Madonna....her music is so wholesome...unlike that devil rap music.

I'd rather my daughter turn lesbian then for her to bring one of those "gangsters" home.

Wholesome clit > O.G. dick

Nelly & Kelly are suburbia but Mary J and Method Man keep it street.

You're so clever. I'd like to think that the Method Man and Mary J song has more of a hip hop tip to it that Dilemna. The difference I see is that if Nelly wasn't "rapping" in Dilemna is would have been a normal pop song. If Mary J was singing on All I Need without Method it would be still be a hip hop-ish (?) song.

I am not sure if Nelly was trying to be Pharrell or Nate Dogg in that song. Mary J was the backup singer on "All I Need" if Mary sung the song without the rap then it would just be street R&B or as I said earlier New Jack.

Nelly & Kelly is cookie cutter mass production of what sells on MTV.

Guest Anglesault
I am quite satisfied with this post.  I don't consider anything that happens on a message board a "bomb".  Besides, this place is filled to the nuts with metalheads who would rather have their ears bleed from screams rather than listen to actual lyrics.

Rap lyrics generally aren't awe inspiring either.

Honestly, do you know what the fuck you are talking about? Or are you just generalizing the genre by 50 Cent and Eminem? There are plenty of rap/hip hop artists who actually have quite insightful lyrics. Those 'gangstas' when they aren't fucking bitches and rapping about murdering one another, actually can be quite insightful and articulate. But I'm sure none of you would like to acknowledge that because it would only ruin your pre-conceived notions about it. I mean, these guys haven't been able to write a masterpiece like Janie's Got A Gun, but give them time...they could maybe reach that plateau.

And I'm sure a fan of metal can come out and point some profound meaning to the screaming.

It's stupid to advocate rap and defend it from naysayers while at the same time dismissing another form of music.

I am quite satisfied with this post.  I don't consider anything that happens on a message board a "bomb".  Besides, this place is filled to the nuts with metalheads who would rather have their ears bleed from screams rather than listen to actual lyrics.

Honestly, do you know what the fuck you are talking about? Or are you just generalizing the genre by 50 Cent and Eminem? There are plenty of rap/hip hop artists who actually have quite insightful lyrics. Those 'gangstas' when they aren't fucking bitches and rapping about murdering one another, actually can be quite insightful and articulate. But I'm sure none of you would like to acknowledge that because it would only ruin your pre-conceived notions about it. I mean, these guys haven't been able to write a masterpiece like Janie's Got A Gun, but give them time...they could maybe reach that plateau.

And I'm sure a fan of metal can come out and point some profound meaning to the screaming.

It's stupid to advocate rap and defend it from naysayers while at the same time dismissing another form of music.

Why can't we all just get along and enjoy Nu Metal?

Actually I'm not. I was simply trying to say that one can't dismiss rap music for lacking in any intellectual relevence when the same can be said by your "generic" rock group. Ie. Aerosmith.

Guest Anglesault

Actually I'm not.

Besides, this place is filled to the nuts with metalheads who would rather have their ears bleed from screams rather than listen to actual lyrics.

Yea well, what can I say? There isn't any talent in growling at the top of one's lungs and screaming about slitting their wrist.

Guest Anglesault
Yea well, what can I say? There isn't any talent in growling at the top of one's lungs and screaming about slitting their wrist.

But there is in cursing and advocating cop killing and the like?

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

The greatest song of all time is "Star Trekkin' " by The Firm

Discuss.

But there is in cursing and advocating cop killing and the like?

Anglesault, you ignorant slut, you are describing 1% of the hip hop/rap community. Don't be a fucking bonehead to prove your point. And I'd be willing to say that some hip hop groups have more politically conscious songs than any rock band you'd have in your cd collection.

Pigeonholing rap as cop killing music would be like calling reggae dope smoking music. Its lazy and ignorant. If you want to blast the music, come prepared, if you can't bring yourself to do that, check your opinions at the door. You're only making an ass of yourself.

This is why I don't post in the music folder.

I thought it was because of your lack of knowledge and the inferiority you feel when Kinetic posts in said folder.

Besides, this place is filled to the nuts with metalheads who would rather have their ears bleed from screams rather than listen to actual lyrics.

God knows that's the only thing that Heavy Metal is about.

I like having my ears bleed from screams, and listening to the lyrics at the same time. I'm a multi-talented listener.

Anglesault, you ignorant slut
hm that is not an Chevy Chase catch phrase.

God knows that's the only thing that Heavy Metal is about
I thought 80s metal was aboot cross dressing and Aqua Net.

Wow, Crucifixio Jones hasn't popped up yet and set us all straight with his be-all end-all rhetoric and lessons about how we're all wrong and ignorant.

But you guys are all wrong.