TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Everyone Unite: Lets put an end to that rap music

Guest Choken One

U don't think the HUGE ratings football gets weekly is a good thing...OOOOK.

The lyrics don't fit the theme for the NFL...

Guest Anglesault
U don't think the HUGE ratings football gets weekly is a good thing...OOOOK.

I said it wasn't that much bigger than being a theme song for a big movie.

Guest Choken One

but it brought it back to the mainstream...It was just another old 70's song that has garnered a revivial...

Guest The Real Nosferatu

::gives Eminem a swift kick in the balls because he's a white boy trying to rap::

I am quite satisfied with this post.  I don't consider anything that happens on a message board a "bomb".  Besides, this place is filled to the nuts with metalheads who would rather have their ears bleed from screams rather than listen to actual lyrics.

Rap lyrics generally aren't awe inspiring either.

Honestly, do you know what the fuck you are talking about? Or are you just generalizing the genre by 50 Cent and Eminem? There are plenty of rap/hip hop artists who actually have quite insightful lyrics. Those 'gangstas' when they aren't fucking bitches and rapping about murdering one another, actually can be quite insightful and articulate. But I'm sure none of you would like to acknowledge that because it would only ruin your pre-conceived notions about it. I mean, these guys haven't been able to write a masterpiece like Janie's Got A Gun, but give them time...they could maybe reach that plateau.

::gives Eminem a swift kick in the balls because he's a white boy trying to rap::

Plus he tries to dress like a black gangsta...what a poser. Whatta a role model, he has a child out of wedlock...those damn rappers.

Guest Random Hero
SPOILERS: You're a fucking retard

Slightly uncalled for.

Shouldn't you be in LS&D making another thread about licking the perspiration off 'your man' or something?

I'm pretty much open to rap, I like most of it. I usually don't have a problem with a lot of rap artists. I'm a metal-alternative man at heart, but thats just me. Some rap is pretty crap, you have to admit, but quite a lot of it has lyrics of some substance.

Sheesh, Game says one thing about ass hair in his mouth and we all just assume he does that all the time. That's on the same level of guys feeling frightened around gay men because they gay men are going to sodomize them the moment they bend over.

Guest Flyboy
I am quite satisfied with this post.  I don't consider anything that happens on a message board a "bomb".  Besides, this place is filled to the nuts with metalheads who would rather have their ears bleed from screams rather than listen to actual lyrics.

Rap lyrics generally aren't awe inspiring either.

Honestly, do you know what the fuck you are talking about?

No. He is just as ignorant as the majority of the board.

Guest The Pirate in White

Mainstream rap and mainstream rock are both sadly lacking in meaning and content. Devoted fans of either genre, however, know that there are those out there who write songs with a point, to tell a story. Rap isn't stupid, rock isn't stupid.

There. At the risk of sounding authoritative, shut the fuck up, all of you.

Fuck the East Coast...

Fuck the West Coast...

Keep it Crunk in the Dirty South...

Oh and if your cheating on your taxes don't show off your bling bling on tv like that dumbass Jermaine Dupree.

Honestly, do you know what the fuck you are talking about... There are plenty of rap/hip hop artists who actually have quite insightful lyrics... they... can be quite insightful and articulate.

This is true. Coolio's Gangsta's Paradise (from the movie Dangerous Minds) is a fantastic song. My wife recently made me listen to Kelly Rowland's Dilemma, and it's become one my favourites as well. It's just that most rap doesn't even nod in the direction of lyrics, coherence, or rhythm. Songs like the two cited above are the exception and not the rule. Of course, you could say the same thing about rock.

"Right before I turn to leave she says,

You don't know what you mean to me

No matter what I do, all I think about is you

Even when I'm with my boo,

Boy you know I'm crazy over you...

No matter what I do, all I think about is you,

Even when I'm with my boo,

You know I'm crazy over you..."

No. What I said was that there are a lot of rock songs with silly lyrics which have little coherence and little rhythm. In any genre of music, there will be a lot of crap and a very few gems. Rap has its own gems, and they have just as much value as rock's.

I would agree with that as far as pop rock and a good amount of death/thrash/speed/black metal bands.

Edit: Goddamn it Marney... edit your post while I'm typing mine. Inconsiderate bitch. :P

:P

"Power and the money, money and the power

Minute after minute, hour after hour

Everybody's running, but half of them ain't looking

What's going on in the kitchen, but I don't know what's cooking

They say I've got to learn but nobody's here to teach me

If they can't understand it, how can they reach me..."

Guest Flyboy
My wife recently made me listen to Kelly Rowland's "Dilemma", and it's become one my favourites as well.

Erm. That's not rap. That's R&B.

SPOILERS: You're a fucking retard

Slightly uncalled for.

Well, you're the one who seemingly couldn't put 1 + 1 together to get 2.

You: Marney's a woman?

Us: Yep.

You: But what's all this talk about having a wife?

Us: ...

It could be classified either way though because the verses are rapped by Nelly.

hm I think it is New Jack Swing. Teddy Reilly and Mary J Blidge are the standards of which all R&B Rap colabs are built on.

That Nelly and Kelly is a pop song. Thats about it, not much different than what NSync or All Saints were doing.

It's pretty strange that so many of you feel that the worth of a song hinges on lyrical content. The vast majority of song lyrics are either incredibly stupid or embarrassingly trite or both, but there's no reason why that should lessen your enjoyment of the song. I mean, if you can't find something to like in the total nonsense of "Louie Louie," then you're pretty much missing the point.

Guest The Pirate in White

The argument, as I understood it, wasn't over the quality of the songs on a whole, but the quality, or rather emotional and mental level, of the lyrics. I may have missed something, though.