TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

My Life Is Fucked Up.

Guest The Pirate in White

Hey, I dunno if this is really the place for that kind of humor. Just sayin'.

Anyway, I've always thought the key to happiness was not to worry. I don't know how much anyone can use that advice, but take it at face value.

Guest The Pirate in White

It's Aquinas' Challenge, though. Maybe he is joking. You call him on it, no harm, no foul. You leave him alone, or say something nice, it's gravy. But what if he is serious? You stay quiet, or kind, and hey, good deal. But teasing is only gonna make things worse for the poor guy. I dunno...I mean, I think it's pretty clear, in the Johnson threads and such, that I have no problem with utter bastardness, but there's a time and a place, and even on "just a message board," it's nice to respect that. That's all. I'm not saying Marney or anyone is responsible for the downfall of Western Civilization, just that it might be cool to hold some things in.

If this makes me look stupid, or like a fool, so be it...just a personal philosophy. Take it or leave it.

Regardless of where I go, I'll always feel like a failure for letting my old school break me. Part of me wants to go back there just to remove this feeling and make things right, a part that's growing every day...but I KNOW I was miserable there and there's nothing besides the feeling of accomplishment that really makes me want to go back there.

Another thing that bothers me so much is my age. I'm 23 and if I go back to school now, I won't see a diploma until I'm 27 or later.

Your old school didn't break you man. And don't let it. You'll ultimately be made stronger through this struggle. Set a goal. It sounds like you want your degree. Go get it and beat your old school. Don't worry about the age thing. It's gonna take me 7 yrs. to get a 4 yr. degree because of my circumstances. I know you want everything now, but you got to crawl before you walk.

My AIM is murphyjon8

If you need some advice, feel free to hit me up. I'm a good motivator Dames. Drop me a line.

I feel your pain, dude. I'm in a similar situation (I'd post it here but I don't want to look like I'm stealing sympathy or start a new thread about my personal problems) and it does suck. I think it's regular, because most men our age group (late teens - mid/late twenties) are the most likely to commit suicide, so that definitely means that we are more succeptable to depression. I know how it feels thinking that all your friends are doing better than you, and that you're not amounting to anything. I've come to the assumption that if my life was a basketball game, I'd be a good team that was down by 8 and getting horrible calls.

Eventually though everything will be better. I keep telling myself that. And you should to.

Guest stardust

What Spicy just said reminds me of something a friend of mine once told me: No one graduates from college in four years anymore. Most people become second and even third-year seniors before they ever graduate. Hell, I'm a second-year senior. I should've graduated back last May, and yeah, I wish I had, but at the same time, oh, well. So it took me two semesters longer than I'd thought it would. Big deal.

So, yeah, Damian, get off your ass and go back to school. *grin* Think of all the hot college chicks (I'm having to motivate myself to go to class right now for the eye candy alone, because my classes are so damned boring, so whatever works, right?).

What Spicy just said reminds me of something a friend of mine once told me: No one graduates from college in four years anymore. Most people become second and even third-year seniors before they ever graduate. Hell, I'm a second-year senior. I should've graduated back last May, and yeah, I wish I had, but at the same time, oh, well. So it took me two semesters longer than I'd thought it would. Big deal.

So, yeah, Damian, get off your ass and go back to school. *grin* Think of all the hot college chicks (I'm having to motivate myself to go to class right now for the eye candy alone, because my classes are so damned boring, so whatever works, right?).

Everyone I know is graduating college this year... in 4 years. And that includes all my high school friends.

Guest stardust

Everyone I know is graduating college this year... in 4 years. And that includes all my high school friends.

Shush. You're not helping.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

A few of my high school friends are in jail, not many of them are graduating this year. Maybe 3.

Guest cobainwasmurdered
Before I even get into this, I'm not trying to compare what I'm going through to someone else's problems or have to defend myself for over exaggerating because the truth is that I'm just venting and I couldn't give a shit about someone else right now.

I've contemplated for a couple of days whether or not to say this, but I figure fuck it, you know. Some will accuse me of wanting attention and they're partly right, but for the most part, I just need to vent. I'm not looking for advice, so don't feel like you need to give any.

Basically, it boils down to this. I've constantly been in a crossroads in my life for the past 3 years and its taken its toll on me.

I am a college drop out. It's almost hard for me to say, but it's true...and it haunts me. It haunts me every day and it's changed me for the worse.

I went to a technical school that was very expensive (32K a year) and I did very poorly. While I legitimately got very sick up there and missed a lot of classes due to illness, I can't deny that my procrastination and poor time management helped cause a bout of depression and poor grades. When I think back on it, I get so upset because I didn't even enjoy myself. I didn't go to parties, didn't get drunk or go out on a lot of dates or anything....I was a fucking hermit.

So, in December of 2000, I made the decision to go home, take some time off and transfer to another school. Since then, I've had to deal with finding a job three different times, a harsh break up with a long time girlfriend and my first real relationship, 9/11, my mother constantly harping on the things I've needed to do and poor budgeting on my part leading to the fact that I still haven't paid off a fucking cent of the money I owe in order to obtain my transcript. I owe 18,000 in loans for a school I didn't fucking graduate from, 3,000 to the school itself just so I can get my transcript, I've got bills and nothing that really sets me ahead of the pack on my resume.

I feel like the past 3 years of my life have been stuck in limbo and the ONLY thing that I've done in that time that I'm even remotely proud of is this site and message board. Even that has started to piss me off lately, having to sort through a bunch of shitty topics and moronic replies in order to find something worthy to read.

Lately, I've been doing a lot of fucking thinking...and I keep having the same thoughts. I want to go back to school. Everyone makes it sound so damned simple, but this is the thing. Regardless of where I go, I'll always feel like a failure for letting my old school break me. Part of me wants to go back there just to remove this feeling and make things right, a part that's growing every day...but I KNOW I was miserable there and there's nothing besides the feeling of accomplishment that really makes me want to go back there.

Another thing that bothers me so much is my age. I'm 23 and if I go back to school now, I won't see a diploma until I'm 27 or later. That might not mean anything to you, but it does to me. Some of my friends have already graduated and they've got really good paying jobs. Hell, someone I used to fucking tutor has a job that pays 48K. I'm already behind the ball.

What saddens me most of all is how it's changed me. I put on a happy face and I try to be nice to as many people as I can, but I have to stop fooling myself. I am unhappy and have been for quite some time now. I've become very bitter, I've got trust issues and I'm quick to snap at those who are closest to me. Bottom line is that I haven't exactly been the greatest person to be around. I NEVER got pissed off or annoyed so easily and lately, I've just become a prick and I hate it. I'm rarely online anymore as my day usually consists of waking up late, playing video games to pass the time, going to a friends place before going to bed at around 6am.

I don't really talk to this to anyone because I usually get very defensive about it and start arguing with someone about it.

I say that I KNOW that I have to do, it's just a matter of doing it. But knowing what to do and actually doing it are two different things and as stupid as this sounds, I'm almost afraid to fix my life. I've gotten so used to my current situation that anything different makes me more uncomfortable.

So here I am at 5am, typing this out to a bunch of people who don't give a shit, or will probably piss me off with their responses or simply tell me that everything is alright, which will piss me off even more.

Whatever.

Dames

Well I never even went to College.

If you think that getting a post secondary education is going to improve things for you than the only thing to do is to go for it. It's a ton of work but if you get through it you'll be ready to face the world.

If that means you can't run the messageboard well F. It. School's more important. Like you said there's alot of crap lately.

Nerds.

Well, as the old man of the board I guess I'll put my 2 cents...

I'm 34, have 4 boys, been married 11 yrs and work for the State of Texas.

But guess what, I didn't have a girlfriend in high school, kind of shy and overweight, didnt get my first real job til i was 21 and met my future wife a few months later.

What I'm trying to say is that even though things are tough right now you should never give up. I'm not going to say anything sappy but I wll be honest by saying that the only person who can change your situation is YOU!! You really have to stop seeing how everyone else is doing and concentrate on yourself.

I know this sounds harsh but you have to remember, life does not owe you a thing. You are born and then you have to make the most of what you have. Just be yourself and if other people dont like you, then thats their problem.

A wise man once said "I cursed my bunions until I met a man with no feet."

Take it for what its worth....

Guest Boo_Bradley

I'm 21,at a TC and have 15,000 in the bank, and a gorgeous live in girlfriend...

Dames, brotha,

Life goes on, and so do we

Just how we do it is no mystery

One by one, we fill the days

We do it a thousand different ways!

(Okay fuck that Empty Nest BS.. here's a song you can relate to:)

Suicide is Painless, it brings on many changes and I can take or leave it if i please....

(Good Ole MASH)

Holy bragging, Batman. This isn't really the place for that, Boo.

If you're going to do it, at least do it right. I'm 21 and am going to graduate with honors from one of the 10 best schools in the United States. To not become a millionaire in the next 20 years I practically have to be hit by a bus. I will be going to Berkeley on a full scholarship with the chance of a $27,500 a year NSF grant that would just give me spending money. In six or seven years when I'm Dr. Walsh I will pull in 100,000 a year bare minimum. I also lived in Australia for six months for just about no cost...and I saw the entire continent.

But Boo, unlike you who bragged just to brag. I'm doing it for a reason. See, Dames, I was raised by a single parent and we never had a lot of money. Still don't. Coming out of high school, I was no superstar. I still ended up at a better school than all of my valedictorians because I refused to accept otherwise. Everyone laughed and told me that I'd fail out within the year and that I'm not smart enough to go to an Ivy League school. And I almost proved them right my first semester. It was all just too much for me. Fast forward 3 years and everything that can have gone right...has. I've made the Dean's List a few times, raised my GPA to 3.4 and have become pretty respected by the faculty of the number one nutritional biochemistry department in the country.

Why? Because I never fucking gave up. I never sat down and felt sorry for myself...like half of the people giving you advice here did. If you want something in your life, go and take it man. You can't be a pussy and complain about your problems for the rest of your life. I will wager that you're smart enough to get it done. Any reason why you're not is nothing but excuses. YOU and YOU ALONE have to look at yourself in the mirror and get the fucking job done. You can do it. You sound smart enough on here. Now go and get it done.

Guest Boo_Bradley

My post was more for the suggestion of suicide and less about the bragging. I regress.