TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Ghost of bps21

The *Official* bps21 NFL Power Rankings (Week 2)

Fun fact of the day: 8 teams have started this season 2-0...the same number as last year. Last year only 1 (Oakland) made the playoffs.

Week 2 is over...and it still doesn't mean much of anything at this point. Now...some of the things that happened in the last two weeks may come back to haunt 15 weeks from now...but right now they don't matter much.

There were, as always, lessons to be learned...and here they are:

1. When playing Carolina...go for 2. At least the past 2 weeks that 38% (or something) success rate at two point conversion attempts has to be better than the odds of making a kick against the Panthers.

2. When playing Cleveland...run. Congrats to Jamal Lewis on his record breaking day. Hey...maybe cutting all the Linebackers wasn't such a great idea afterall.

3. When playing the Dolphins...pass. At least until their Defense starts making you stop. No pass rush (one sack in two games...inluding a big 0 against the freaking Texans) and the worst pass D in the league. Oh...and when you pass do so from outside the redzone...where they don't allow you anything at all.

4. When playing the Bills...run. At least until their Defense proves they can stop it. Kevin Faulk and Fred Taylor have taken chunks out of the field the last two weeks...both while their teams were in the hole. It's the part of the D that remains largely untested...which will change this week.

*#3 and #4 are the reasons that the Bills/Dolphins Sunday night game is must see TV. Ricky Williams vs. an unproven run D and Drew Bledsoe vs. an unproven pass rush. Fireworks people.

5. When playing the Cardinals...Start everyone on the team in your fantasy league.

Week 1 Rewind:

A look back at something said last week that was either brilliant...or really dumb:

Brilliant:

"5. It seems to me most of the teams being bantered about as "Sleepers" or "Darkhorse teams" showed up to prove it in week one. The Bills, Chiefs, Seahawks, and Panthers all won (and the first three won big). "

And they did it again, too. Bills and Cheifs and Seahawks all won big again...and all the Panthers did was beat the World Champions...at home.

Really Dumb:

"6. New York Giants (1-0)

Giants are for real. Should go into bye week 3-0."

Well...double dumbass on YOU Jim Fassel!!!

Week 2 Awards:

Offensive Player of the Week: Jamal Lewis (Baltimore)

Defensive Player of the Week: Ken Hamlin (Seattle)

Rookie of the Week: Nick Barnett (Green Bay)

And now...what everyone who's reading this wishes was different than it turns out to be:

The Official bps21 NFL Power Rankings (Week 2)

In reverse:

32. Arizona Cardinals (0-2) Last Week: 32

I haven't said this in years...but I think they could actually lose them all.

31. Chicago Bears (0-2) Last Week: 30

Showed something this week. Bengals showed more...so they move down anyway.

30. Jacksonville Jaguars (0-2) Last Week: 26

They shut down a pro bowl running back. They forgot about the other 10 players though.

29. Cincinnati Bengals (0-2) Last Week: 31

If they play that way every week...they'll win some games.

28. Cleveland Browns (0-2) Last Week: 27

Good lord...tackle something.

27. New York Jets (0-2) Last Week: 28

Vinny got some #s...but they couldn't get the points. Curtis Martin is DONE.

26. San Diego Chargers (0-2) Last Week: 24

It's hard to use an elite back...when the D is this poor.

25. Detroit Lions (1-1) Last Week: 25

Oh yeah...they are the Lions. They didn't move from 25 though...so something's going their way.

24. Houston Texans (1-1) Last Week: 21

They better enjoy that Week 1 win for a while.

23. Dallas Cowboys (1-1) Last Week: 29

Like I said...they'll win some games. That was a big one.

22. New Orleans Saints (1-1) Last Week: 20

Won a game they should have.

21. Philadelphia Eagles (0-2) Last Week: 8

Over-rated. Biggest fall in rankings...and they sure have earned it.

20. Baltimore Ravens (1-1) Last Week: 23

Jamal Lewis put them back in the limelight...and the win column.

19. Atlanta Falcons (1-1) Last Week: 11

Didn't they sign a big money Wide Receiver? Double coverage is hard...isn't it?

18. New York Giants (1-1) Last Week: 6

Feel shame. I know they'll climb back up...but...for this week...feel shame.

17. Green Bay Packers (1-1) Last Week: 17

They don't move because they beat the Lions.

16. St. Louis Rams (1-1) Last Week: 18

Tough game this week against Seattle (when's the last time anyone said THAT???)

15. Oakland Raiders (1-1) Last Week: 10

Come on...the BENGALS??? Two unimpressive weeks in a row.

14. Miami Dolphins (1-1) Last Week: 16

Red zone defense and Ricky Williams is the key to success. Luckily they have both.

13. New England Patriots (1-1) Last Week: 15

Discovered how good it feels to lay 31 on someone.

12. San Francisco 49ers (1-1) Last Week: 7

Still looked good...but that was a should have won.

11. Tennessee Titans (1-1) Last Week: 2

Got whooped. Two not so good games for them too. Eddie George? Yeah...he's DONE too.

10. Pittsburgh Steelers (1-1) Last Week: 5

No shame in losing in Arrowhead. Losing by 21 on the other hand...

9. Washington Redskins (2-0) Last Week: 22

I still don't think they're legit...but they showed a lot of heart this week. Ramsey looking good.

8. Seattle Seahawks (2-0) Last Week: 13

They should beat the Rams too.

7. Minnesota Vikings (2-0) Last Week: 9

Little scare against the Bears...but they took care of business.

6. Denver Broncos (2-0) Last Week: 12

I guess everyone's healthy...but then...they could be lying.

5. Carolina Panthers (2-0) Last Week: 19

They make the big jump this week. Beat the best team in the land on the road.

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-1) Last Week: 1

Yeah I know they lost to the #5 team...but they're still the best in the NFC.

3. Indianapolis Colts (2-0) Last Week: 14

That D can play some ball. That makes them real scary. Huge win this week.

2. Buffalo Bills (2-0) Last Week: 4

Outscored opponents 69-17 with 7 of those point allowed by backups. Peerless who?

1. Kansas City Chiefs (2-0) Last Week: 3

The scariest place to play. Now we'll see if they can do it on the road.

That's it for this week. Leave your disagreements about my over and under ratings in this thread.

Thank god you didn't do something crazy, like putting the Broncos at #2 or something. The Broncos are so overrated right now.

Anyone read Pete Prisco's rankings at cbs sportsline? The man is crazy. BPS >>> Pete Prisco.

Yeah, the Broncos should be below Seattle & Minnesota. Both have looked more impressive.

Giants should switch with the Raiders at the very least. Oakland has looked terrible, while the Giants almost pulled out a victory on Monday. Against the Boys yes, but you had to know that Parcells wasn't going to go down without a fight in a big game like that.

San Fran has been the most impressive of the 1-1 teams, besides Tampa. They should have beat the Rams (who are too high) if not for a foolish mistake.

If Philly loses their next game (Week 4 @ BUF), consider putting them down with the Jets & Bengals. They have looked terrible thus far.

I imagine Arizona won't move from that slot for awhile. They are by far the worst team in the league. Both offense (Seattle's D isn't exactly the Bucs, more like the Chargers) and defense.

So if the Vikings beat the Lions 49-0 would they move up to the top 5? Michael Bennett who? Don't need him when the team is stacked with 3 utility backs and a rookie ready for the mega push.

The Colts did show up big with the rookie Dallas Clark becoming a receiver threat and Edge finally living up to the hype.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I have to disagree with ranking the Bengals below the Jets, Chargers and Browns.

Not only did they outplay the AFC Champs but they have the 2nd best pass defense in the league.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

Can someone explain to me why everyone loves the Broncos? I mean I know they've had 2 huge wins so far against AFC powerhouses like San Diego and Cincinnati, but really.

3. When playing the Dolphins...pass. At least until their Defense starts making you stop. No pass rush (one sack in two games...inluding a big 0 against the freaking Texans) and the worst pass D in the league. Oh...and when you pass do so from outside the redzone...where they don't allow you anything at all.

Houston had Carr using the 3-step drop most of the time. I don't know why they couldn't get to Vinny more than once, though.

They'll get Bledsoe at least a few times this Sunday.

And for as bad as the pass defense has been, they've only given up 2 TD's total so far.

Can someone explain to me why everyone loves the Broncos? I mean I know they've had 2 huge wins so far against AFC powerhouses like San Diego and Cincinnati, but really.

Wait until this week when they crush the Raiders on Monday Night Football. I can't see how the Raiders will go on the road to beat the Broncos, given they eked out a last second win at home against a team that Denver destroyed on the road.

The RedSkins jump 12 spot for beating the Falcons who were without the Number 2 reciever, both safties and some Vick guy. AND WON BY 2!!

Oh come on.

Guest Polish_Rifle

It's so great to see the Chiefs start out 2-0. I have suffered for years watching them have productive regular seasons and then get bounced in the playoffs. I guess I took their regular season success for granted when they started going downhill the last few seasons.

I did hear that Priest is questionable on Sunday due to some injured ribs or something but I'm confident he will end up playing and getting a hundred yards.

Ramsey looking good.

Yeah, well he'll be suffering from David Carr Syndrome by week 6 if he keeps getting sacked 6 times a game. He's already got a banged up shoulder.

And the Ravens...the good news is they have a game vs the Chargers which is easily winable. Tomlinson isn't doing anything and they should be able to shut him down anyway, and Drew Brees isn't gonna beat their secondary like Tommy Maddox did, especially with their lack of WR. And the Chargers defense is about as bad as the Browns. Jamal Lewis could probably get another 125 yards easily and Boller/Redman should be able to at least pass for some respectable # of yards.

Oh, and I'll add this about the Redskins. They look good for now, but their schedule is going to kill them - Games vs New England, Buffalo, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Miami, Carolina and New Orleans. They'll need to win at least 4 of thos games to have any chance. Considering the defenses that Buffalo, Seattle, Tampa and Carolina have, its probably not likely.

Oh, and I'll add this about the Redskins. They look good for now, but their schedule is going to kill them - Games vs New England, Buffalo, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Miami, Carolina and New Orleans. They'll need to win at least 4 of thos games to have any chance. Considering the defenses that Buffalo, Seattle, Tampa and Carolina have, its probably not likely.

The Redskins schedule is a killer. Totally BS for giving a 7-9 team such a hard schedule. Oh well, nothing they can do about it though.

I said before the season started, if they can get through the first eight games, 4-4, they should at least be able to contend for a WildCard spot or possible just fall short. So Far they are on their way to do that.

As far as Ramsey suffering Carr syndrome. The O-line is fine, but the RB/FB need to get better at picking up the blitz and blocking. They were pretty horrid in the first half of the Atlanta game, but must have had their lives threatened at halftime because the blocking was near flawless in the 2nd half and Ramsey flourished.

This week should be interesting, The Giants gave up 322 passing yards to the Cowboys and over 300 to the Rams as well. So if the protection is there, Ramsey should have another good week, probably not as good, but I'd say 275+ passing yards with a TD toss or two.

The REdskins only got moved that far up because I really lowballed them last week...

And Spiff...don't be so sure about theFins getting to Bledsoe. The Bills O-line has finally glued together...and they just finally allowed no sacks for the first time. Bledsoe has had insane protection the last two weeks...and the Jags got sacks in week 1...and the Pats got sacks in week 2.

The Redskins schedule is a killer. Totally BS for giving a 7-9 team such a hard schedule. Oh well, nothing they can do about it though.

They don't make the schedules according to previous season records anymore. It's all done with division vs. division matchups.

For instance:

AFC East teams play all 4 NFC East teams, all 4 AFC South teams, and 1of the AFC West teams, and 1 of the AFC North teams.

Who the hell's in the Bengals secondary? I noticed that Plumber and Gannon both had bad games against the Bengals.

Tory James!

Jeff Burris!

Artrell Hawkins!

Dennis Weathersby!

Marquand Manuel!

Rogers Beckett!

Mark Roman!

Kevin Kaesviharn!

The No.2 Pass D in the NFL! But I will settle for middle of the pack. I will have to wait to see how they do the rest of the year. I think the reason Gannon had such a bad game was Cleamons or Thornton put a hell of a hit on Gannon the second play of the game.

The Bengals secondary isn't the worst, but will look good when the DT's & DE's can get to the QB quickly which has been lacking the past 5 years in Cincy.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

here's a question: which is the worst good(?) secondary, Bengals or Colts?

Guest Salacious Crumb

The Bengals are only allowing 109 passing yds. a game and have 3 INTs. So statistically only the 49ers are better at pass defense than the Bengals.

I am trying to find a reason to yell about the Eagles being that low. But since i can't find a reason I will just sulk for a few weeks. Between the bye week and the fact they aren't beating Buffalo it is going to be a while.

I'm not sure if the bye week will good or not for the Hawks if they beat the Rams. I'm afraid of momentum going away but in football the bye weeks usually don't do that to teams but I still worry.

Will Ken Hamlin be bps21 D Player of the Week?

He will if he kills Issac Bruce for going over the middle. If you cross the middle you pay.

Oct 5 at Green Bay FOX 1:00 PM

6 Oct 12 San Francisco ESPN 8:30 PM

7 Oct 19 Chicago FOX 4:15 PM

8 Oct 26 at Cincinnati FOX 1:00 PM

9 Nov 2 Pittsburgh CBS 4:05 PM

10 Nov 9 at Washington FOX 1:00 PM

11 Nov 16 Detroit FOX 4:15 PM

12 Nov 23 at Baltimore FOX 1:00 PM

13 Nov 30 Cleveland CBS 4:15 PM

14 Dec 7 at Minnesota FOX 1:00 PM

15 Dec 14 at St. Louis FOX 1:00 PM

16 Dec 21 Arizona FOX 4:15 PM

17 Dec 27 at San Francisco

It wouldn't be so bad if after the bye they weren't playing the Packers in Green Bay and then follow it up with the 49ers. But too fairly easy games against Chicago and Cincy though.

Classic B, that was classic. Can you believe all shit being stirred by the Dolfemmes about Moulds spitting on Surtain? Bitches. Moulds was too busy burning the Miami's D, he didn't have time to spit on anyone.

The Redskins schedule is a killer.  Totally BS for giving a 7-9 team such a hard schedule.  Oh well, nothing they can do about it though.

They don't make the schedules according to previous season records anymore. It's all done with division vs. division matchups.

For instance:

AFC East teams play all 4 NFC East teams, all 4 AFC South teams, and 1of the AFC West teams, and 1 of the AFC North teams.

They have always done it that way(picking one AFC Division to face) however look at our other games.........Atlanta(caught a break cause no Vick), Tampa Bay, Carolina, New Orleans(assuming they are a potential playoff team again), Seattle.

Only game I can really point to on the schedule expecting a win is the Bears, and that game is near the END of the season.