TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Firestarter

Smoking Lounge

I've tried Virginia Slims once or twice, but they're too airy for me.

I actually have a pack of those sitting in my car, mostly untouched. I was given them for free, tried one, and sweet jesus but did it ever suck, hard. The slimness makes the whole stick too damn hot, and the taste is awful.

Usually I smoke Marlboro 100s, regular - switched from Benson & Hedges a few years ago.

Holy shit, you're the only other person I've ever met who's actually smoked B&Hs, or even heard of them. Kinda light, but not too bad. And I used to be a Marlboro Man myself until here recently, when I discovered Camel's awe-inspiring Turkish Jades.

I've tried Treasurer once, but they don't taste different enough to be worth the high price. Davidoffs are excellent, like the tobacco's been infused with bitter chocolate, but they're hard to find in the States. YSLs are okay but not great. I smoke Djarum cloves from time to time but not too often.

Never had any of those, what're they like?

I don't like menthols of any kind.

Awww. You're missing out.

Heard about 'em, never smoked 'em. I've looked around once or twice but I haven't been able to find any. Any recommendations?

Ditto AoO, where can I find these things? They're way too close to Denis Leary's "Tumors" idea for me to resist.

Moved from this thread.

I actually have a pack of those sitting in my car, mostly untouched. I was given them for free, tried one, and sweet jesus but did it ever suck, hard. The slimness makes the whole stick too damn hot, and the taste is awful.

I thought they tasted okay, but it was just too light. It felt like I was sucking on a straw. No nicotine, no tobacco, no nothing. Just blah. I didn't notice any unusual heat or anything.

Holy shit, you're the only other person I've ever met who's actually smoked B&Hs, or even heard of them. Kinda light, but not too bad.

WTF? The regular filters are at least on the same level as Marlboros.

And I used to be a Marlboro Man myself until here recently, when I discovered Camel's awe-inspiring Turkish Jades.

Never had those. Flavoured? I hate flavoured tobacco.

Never had any of those, what're they like?

Davidoffs I already described. Treasurers are more of a status symbol than anything else; $20 per pack of 20 (yes, I typed that correctly) but nothing to justify the price. From the official website:

"Treasurer cigarettes are manufactured from a specially selected blend of additive free pure Virginia Tobaccos wrapped in watermarked paper with an elegant silver tip. The cigarettes are hand packed into a stylish aluminium case, cellophane wrapped and secured by a De La Rue hologrammed tearstrip which ensures authenticity."

La de frickin' da; it'd be nice if they also tasted better than your average Marlboro. I don't plan on smoking the hologrammed tearstrip.

Cloves are... well, cloves. I don't really know how to describe them. I'm smoking one right now, and it's like a menthol in that it's not really a cigarette, but I don't know, it's different. It's not minty. It's musty. It's the kind of cigarette goth kids would bum off you. It's sort of spicy, sort of sweet, sort of very slightly minty. Numbs your lips and tongue a bit, as I think AoO mentioned earlier. Not something I'd want to smoke regularly, in part because of the taste, in part because of the fact that they irritate my throat a little, but they're nice every once in a while for a change.

YSLs = Yves Saint Laurent. Same price range as Davidoff (a few dollars higher than usual) but nothing special. A little richer, but Davidoff is better, and Marlboros almost as good. Not quite worth the hassle of finding, but a decent choice when nothing better's around.

Awww. You're missing out.

Bleh. Menthols don't taste like tobacco. I like tobacco, therefore I don't like menthols.

Ditto AoO, where can I find these things?

C'mon Agent, come through for your fellow smokers. We'll tell 'em you sent us.

Edited by Cancer Marney

cloves are basically cigarettes for pussies. goth kids love them so much because a) they're black (at least the djariums that the goth kids love so much are), and b) you don't have to inhale them. so you look cool and aren't really, you know, smoking anything. i fell in with this crowd a few years ago, and it became a semi-habit. now i'll smoke a clove from time to time when i'm around my friends who smoke, or when i'm studying for exams & need a quick break.

I used to smoke, marijuana. Does that count? The taste wasn't all that, but it really relaxed the hell out of me. It also made some music sound a lot better.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

You know, I've been hitting the internet to look for the black death's and I can't find the fuckers. I know VCT makes them, and found plenty of sites that mentioned the brand, but none that sold them. I always found mine in this little smokeshop on campus, when I was in school.

I know they're not a regional thing, though, so you'll have to look. I'd say your best bets are places frequented by bikers, headbangers, and people that would buy novelty cigarettes and weird brands.

If you can find some imported numbers like you mentioned above, these should be findable. I'm tellin' ya, they're good.

I've been smoking Salems for a while now, as I like the menthol. It doesn't compromise my masculinity in the least, and is actually worse for my lungs, so eat shit you half-assed standard smokers.

I can say for certain that they're the best menthol I've ever had, and probably the best cigarette period. Being a poor bastard, I haven't gotten much into the imports, aside from Bidis, Cloves, and a pack or two of Dunhill.

Benson and Hedges are fucking FOUL. They're the GPC for richer folks.

Being that I work in a warehouse that ships all the major (and some not so major) american brands, I've noticed some odd things about the varying brands.

Marlboro by far and away sells the most, with Basics being a surprising number 2, and Virginia Slims/Mistys/Estrogen cigarettes being 3rd. The number of Camels is really negligible, but then again all these go to grocery stores, and the target demographic of Camel probably doesn't get their smokes at a place like that. I think this also explains the high rate of the girly cigarettes.

Benson and Hedges are one of the most popular brands over here in the UK. That and Marlbrough Lights (all though we're no longer allowed to called them Lights).

I'm currently smoking rollies at the moment due to a shortage of cash :( I generally smoke the 'standard' british brands (i.e medium price/smoke) like Royals. Quite like Menthols and Superkings.

Theres a nice little tobaconist near me which sells all kinds of flavoured tobacco for rolling, lemon would probably be the best flavour however several flavours taste like normal tobacco. The shop also sells various novelty cigarettes; they have some fun 'party' cigarettes which are different colours and come in a shiny box. I once made a mistake and bought Romeo'y'Juliette cigarettes which have an extremely nasty, taste, like inhaling a Cigar except it's a cigarette.

I like flavoured cigarettes but the only ones we can get around here are menthols. I'd love to try cloves or any of the Camel flavours (we only have plain Camels)

Well, theres a long post about tobacco in my area. I've sure you've all found it facinating :P

I thought they tasted okay, but it was just too light. It felt like I was sucking on a straw. No nicotine, no tobacco, no nothing. Just blah. I didn't notice any unusual heat or anything.

At least they're not as bad as Marlboro Ultralights, those things aren't much more than a roll of toilet paper with a maple leaf stuck in the middle.

WTF? The regular filters are at least on the same level as Marlboros.

Well, they were lights, as it was the only menthol the machine had.

Never had those. Flavoured? I hate flavoured tobacco.

No, just the menthol version of their Turkish Golds (I'm seeing a running theme here...). Stronger than a kick from a mule if you're used to Marlboro's lighter stuff, like I was, but has a certain smoothness that other stronger brands lack.

The Davidoffs sound like a complete ripoff, the sort of thing some rich lawyer or corporate exec might smoke just because they can afford it. Cloves, yeah, I've had 'em once or twice. Been a while. Thinking about picking some up today, actually.

Bleh. Menthols don't taste like tobacco. I like tobacco, therefore I don't like menthols.

Once I got hooked on the minty greeness, there was no going back for me. Smoking a regular now feels to me like sucking on an empty coke bottle.

C'mon Agent, come through for your fellow smokers. We'll tell 'em you sent us.

Ditto, I'm tired of resorting to Newports when I want something really manly.

Also, yeah, I've had the American Spirits before, but "strong" wouldn't be the word I'd apply to them. Interesting for an experiment smoke on the weekend sometime, but not the sort of thing I'd pick up regularly.

Anyone not carry any particular allegiances? I generally smoke whatever's on sale, though given the choice, I favor Marlboro reds.

Recently, I've wanted to start smoking a pipe, as it can be a nice smell and the image of a guy like me smoking a pipe is kinda funny. I usually buy cigarettes at the gas station though, so I'll have to find an actual tobacco shop to do that.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

You have no idea how badly you need a corncob pipe.

Jingus, you need to snatch up some Salems. They're buy one get one all over the universe right now, are strong, and have so much menthol that you will shit mint. Get the black label, although the green is ok as well.

The Davidoffs sound like a complete ripoff, the sort of thing some rich lawyer or corporate exec might smoke just because they can afford it.

You mean the Treasurers, right? Davidoffs are actually well worth the price, which is only a couple of bucks more than a pack of Marlboros. They're just hard to find in the States.

Guest The Old Me
For those that roll their own, regardless of the filling, nobody should be without Randy's Wired Rolling papers.

Also, here's some excellent color changing glass pipes.

Randy wires are the SHIT!!

I've been smoking Parliament Menthol Lights for years now. Before that, it was Marlboro Menthol's and before that, Marlboro red's.

I found that after you go menthol, you really can't go back.

Just got my first pipe today. Beautiful briarwood, smooth finish, dark mahogany colour. Smoking it is pure joy, although I'm not ready to give up cigarettes just yet. God, I love Virginia! Best tobacco in the world.

I've wanted to try a pipe for a while, but they're so much more expensive than cigarettes (and hard to hide from parents) that I've never given it a go. Are they worth it?

Definitely. Very rich, satisfying taste, lovely smell, don't have to ash. The last you'll really only appreciate once you've tried it yourself. The convenience alone makes it worth the time and expense.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I think it's something only certain people can pull off. Specifically, thin little Professor Plum looking folk. If you have white hair and spectacles, it helps. Otherwise, I'd just stick to cigarettes. The smell and flavor is definitely more pleasant, but it's not the same.

Switched from Blue Ridge to Yachtsman tobacco today. Ridiculously smooth with a slow cool burn, wonderful cherry and oak scent with a bit of orange. I got a small bag of Antietam as well, which I can't wait to try - it's supposed to have been blended with apricot brandy.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Umm..in a cornfield.

I remember a few hillbilly cousins of mine doing this when I was little. Amusingly enough, Willie Nelson also makes a reference to smoking cornsilk in his autobiography. It doesn't contain any nicotine, and it tastes horrific, but people smoke it, so...

Smoking spiders is supposed to increase your virility... or take it away, I can't remember which.

My dad told me about smoking bananna peels in the 60s. Said it didn't do anything. That knowledge finally allowed me to get some of the jokes from my 60s Mad magazines.