TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Askewniverse

The One and Only Smallville Thread

Guest Askewniverse

The new season started last week, so let's get this topic started.

Don't know if it's necessary, but I'll use spoiler tags just in case someone hasn't seen it yet.

Spoiler (Highlight to Read):

So, what kind of deal do you guys think that Jonathan made with Jor-El?

Anybody else think that we haven't seen the last of Helen?

Oh, and apparently, the WB will no longer be showing replays of the new episodes on Sundays. Instead, they'll be replaying episodes from the first season.

I keep watching this show dispite not liking it. This is the weirdest television experience that i have ever gone through.

On one hand, they have decent writing...on the other, the acting is pure shite(except for the guys that play Lex and his father), its incredibly over the top with the drawmuh, and there is this weird homoerotic undertone to the Lex/Clark relationship that I can't put my finger on, but gives me plenty of ammo for jokes. Yet...I still watch.

They have some cool visuals (the one of Clark stepping out of the bank he was robbing...gourgeous) and some cool one shot storylines. But I don't like it...yet I still watch. I guess the mark of a good(?) show.

Oh yeah "the Deal" is going ot be interesting eventually.

I like how they're building for the long-term already, with "the deal." Yeah, they're going against the established Superman canon (and have been since the beginning), but the show is still solid and enjoyable. The one thing I didn't like about the season opener was when...

Jonathan Kent got super-powers from Jor-El. That was almost as silly as when Clark's powers got passed to that boy in the first season. They're not "powers" governed by some external force; they're innate abilities and shouldn't be mucked with like they have been. End mini-rant.

The second episode was better than the first, IMO, and paid off the story arcd from the first episode well. I get the feeling we'll see Morgan Edge again at some point, though I did like the scene at the pier with him, Lionel, and Clark.

Add in the fact that Kristin Kreuk and Allison Mack are both very easy on the eyes, and you get the fact that Smallville is one of the few shows I actually make it a point to watch every week.

Guest EQ

in almost every Superman universe I've ever seen (comics, Lois & Clark, TAS, etc) Superman/Clark's powers can be transferred to humans so I have absolutely no problem with Jor-El somehow being able to give Jonathan Kent the abilities long enough to bring Clark back. The first episode was so fucking good and so was the second. My only gripe is that the Lana and Clark relationship is once again fucked... after all that, we're right back where we started. Oh well, one of these days she better find out about him.

There are several things I'm looking forward to this season:

Meeting Bruce Wayne (I heard it's happening)

Meeting Perry White (I heard it's happening)

Meeting Lois Lane. This one I didn't hear about but it would fit into the storyline nicely if she was interning at the daily planet with Chloe and we just got to meet her for an episode. She wouldn't have to stay on the show longer than that... just long enough for me to mark out.

I've only just started watching this show with the Third Season and it already has me wanting to go out and buy the Season One DVD's... :lol:

Guest Askewniverse

Meeting Lois Lane.  This one I didn't hear about but it would fit into the storyline nicely if she was interning at the daily planet with Chloe and we just got to meet her for an episode.  She wouldn't have to stay on the show longer than that... just long enough for me to mark out.

A Bruce Wayne appearance would kick ass. I could easily see him coming to Metropolis or having some kind of run-in with LutherCorp.

Edited by Askewniverse

Clark and Lana will never get together, and should never get together. If they finally do, what do they do now? It would be jumping the shark.

I've only just started watching this show with the Third Season and it already has me wanting to go out and buy the Season One DVD's... :lol:

Ditto, I've caught a few episodes here and there before but now with the start of this season it has become one of my regular views :)

Guest EQ
IMO, I don't think they NEED Lois Lane. Chloe fills her role quite nicely.

I agree that they don't NEED Lois Lane on the show. That's why I said I'd like to see her in one episode just as a nod to the Superman lore... I'd just mark out for it. I'm not saying you replace Chloe, just have Lois in for one episode... have her get into some shit... have Clark find out through Chloe... he saves her... give me one or two cheap lines of dialog similar to the Clark/Lex lines that foreshadow what will happen once he's Superman. I'll mark out and that will be it.

Clark and Lana will never get together, and should never get together. If they finally do, what do they do now? It would be jumping the shark.

I know that Clark and Lana won't ever get together... assuming they want to keep this aspect of the Superman lore true to the roots. But him and Lana did have a relationship in Smallville. My point there was that after everything that's happened over the past 2 years, you (or me anyway) really want Clark to finally get Lana. I sympathize with his situation, and he was so close to having exactly what he wanted and then it's taken away from him again.

Guest JMA
I'm not saying you replace Chloe, just have Lois in for one episode... have her get into some shit... have Clark find out through Chloe... he saves her... give me one or two cheap lines of dialog similar to the Clark/Lex lines that foreshadow what will happen once he's Superman.  I'll mark out and that will be it.

I'd much rather just have Clark and Chloe work at the Planet in the Lois/Clark role in the future. After all, we don't want the love triangle to become a square.

Guest EQ
I'm not saying you replace Chloe, just have Lois in for one episode... have her get into some shit... have Clark find out through Chloe... he saves her... give me one or two cheap lines of dialog similar to the Clark/Lex lines that foreshadow what will happen once he's Superman.  I'll mark out and that will be it.

I'd much rather just have Clark and Chloe work at the Planet in the Lois/Clark role in the future. After all, we don't want the love triangle to become a square.

I wouldn't mind seeing this either... although, they've kind of strayed away from Clark's involvement with the Smallville Torch. I wouldn't mind seeing him and Chloe intern at the Planet, although it seems like Clark really isn't that interested in journalism at this moment in time. It will be interesting to see how they bring Perry White into the storyline. I'm assuming we'll meet him through Chloe. Although, it is possible that he will come to Smallville as a reporter investigating whatever weird thing is happening that week. Seeing as how we're still a good 10 years or so from Clark getting a job at the Planet with Perry being the editor in chief, it's not illogical to conclude that maybe at this time, Perry White is still a reporter and hasn't been promoted to editor yet. Either way, I hope they use that as an opportunity to give us (me) another cheap foreshadowing line for me to mark out for. Maybe something along the lines of Perry White saying to Clark: "I like you, kid. I think you'd make a hell of a reporter".

I think he just wants a brief cameo of Lois Lane. She's be in like one scene.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. Either have her in one scene at the planet with Chloe or, as I suggested earlier, have her play a more important role in that episode so that Clark can save her, but then that's it. She's off the show. A good idea would be for her and Chloe to be teamed up by their bosses at the planet to investigate something and then they end up getting in over their heads (as Lois tends to do) and then Clark saves the day. Plus, I think Chloe and Lois would have some nice rivalry that could make for some funny moments on-screen.

In the current Superman comic canon (i.e. since Byrne's "Man of Steel" reboot circa 1986), Lana and Clark were a couple in Smallville. The night before Clark left to see the world (eventually settling in Metropolis, of course), he revealed his secret to Lana. She was overwhelmed by it at first, and resented him for a while before coming to accept it all.

I think the series is doing a good thing by keeping them apart as long as possible, but it's inevitable that, for the TV audience, they'll have to get together at some point.

Guest Askewniverse
I'm kinda shaky on htis, but in the movies, wasn't it said that Lana and Clark almost got married? Or am I way off base here?

I'm not too sure about the married part, but I'm pretty sure that Lana is said to be Clark's old girlfriend.

Interesting bit of trivia: Annette O'Toole, who plays Martha Kent on Smallville, played Lana Lang in Superman III.

Meeting Lois Lane. This one I didn't hear about but it would fit into the storyline nicely if she was interning at the daily planet with Chloe and we just got to meet her for an episode. She wouldn't have to stay on the show longer than that... just long enough for me to mark out.

1) I actually remember the show creators mentioning Bruce Wayne before season 2. Originally they were going to have Bruce show up as a dark and brooding friend of Lex. I guess they got a little tied up in the storylines last season but yeah it'd be cool.

2) Well they've mentioned the Daily Planet often enough lately and even had a couple of establishing shots of the building where it would be possible. Maybe Chloe still writes for the Daily Planet every once in a while and Perry is some big shot field reporter moving his way up the ladder. It could easily be worked in.

3) On one hand Lois just showing up and them foreshadowing everything would be cool (see the "Fortress of Solitude" comment about the hayloft from season 1). On the other hand Chloe seems to fill the Lois role rather nicely. I suppose as long as it's something like what you'd like (one shot deal, etc.) there's not a real big deal.

Meeting Lois Lane.  This one I didn't hear about but it would fit into the storyline nicely if she was interning at the daily planet with Chloe and we just got to meet her for an episode.  She wouldn't have to stay on the show longer than that... just long enough for me to mark out.

1) I actually remember the show creators mentioning Bruce Wayne before season 2. Originally they were going to have Bruce show up as a dark and brooding friend of Lex. I guess they got a little tied up in the storylines last season but yeah it'd be cool.

2) Well they've mentioned the Daily Planet often enough lately and even had a couple of establishing shots of the building where it would be possible. Maybe Chloe still writes for the Daily Planet every once in a while and Perry is some big shot field reporter moving his way up the ladder. It could easily be worked in.

3) On one hand Lois just showing up and them foreshadowing everything would be cool (see the "Fortress of Solitude" comment about the hayloft from season 1). On the other hand Chloe seems to fill the Lois role rather nicely. I suppose as long as it's something like what you'd like (one shot deal, etc.) there's not a real big deal.

Perry White is going to appear in episode 5.

And from what I have gathered there will be no Bruce or Lois Lane this season, however Jimmy Olsen might appear toward the end of the year.

According to the producers Lois might appear next year, however they didn't guarantee it.

Edited by Kurt Angle Mark

Could someone explain why Bruce Wayne would make a cameo? Batman's an eniterly different, comic.

They take place in the same universe and have crossed paths before....just like in the Marvel universe various charecters from other comics become involved in others.

I am curious to how it will be. What age Bruce will be because if he's around the same as Clark then he should be out traveling the world learning the skills that he will use as Batman.

Guest EQ
Could someone explain why Bruce Wayne would make a cameo? Batman's an eniterly different, comic.

As someone already said, they are different comics, but take place in the same universe. In the comics, there are Batman/Superman crossovers all the time. There's even a monthly book called "Batman/Superman".

Anyway, about why they would meet... it's not that hard to imagine that someone like Bruce Wayne (young billionaire playboy) would end up in a big city like Metropolis for some reason or another. The dark, brooding (I can't hear those words without thinking of Angel) friend of Lex is an interesting idea.

Here's one way they could have Bruce and Clark meet:

Clark is for whatever reason in Metropolis (he goes there from time to time anyway). This happens to be at the same time as Bruce is in town... maybe on business or maybe for the nightlife. Anyway, some generic bad stuff happens... maybe some girl is getting mugged in the street. Clark hears it, runs to save the day only to find Bruce kicking the muggers ass. That's how I think I'd write it anyway.

Guest Ram

Batman/Superman crossover several times in the cartoon series too.

They also take part together in the Justice League.

Anyway, I really hope WB doesn't do a Flash cameo in Smallville (although it seems possible with the new show coming out). I mean Bruce would be neat, but Flash just would be pushing it way too far.

As someone already said, they are different comics, but take place in the same universe. In the comics, there are Batman/Superman crossovers all the time. There's even a monthly book called "Batman/Superman".

Anyway, about why they would meet... it's not that hard to imagine that someone like Bruce Wayne (young billionaire playboy) would end up in a big city like Metropolis for some reason or another. The dark, brooding (I can't hear those words without thinking of Angel) friend of Lex is an interesting idea.

Here's one way they could have Bruce and Clark meet:

Clark is for whatever reason in Metropolis (he goes there from time to time anyway). This happens to be at the same time as Bruce is in town... maybe on business or maybe for the nightlife. Anyway, some generic bad stuff happens... maybe some girl is getting mugged in the street. Clark hears it, runs to save the day only to find Bruce kicking the muggers ass. That's how I think I'd write it anyway.

It's just like Buffy/Angel.

Guest SweetNSexyDiva

I have loved Smallville since my first glance at Tom Welling. LOVE HIM! And Kristin as absolutely beautiful. I personally didn't like the first episode of the season.... even though evil Clark was HAWT! The second one was good though. I'm sure we'll see more of the conniving Mrs. Luther.

Guest EQ

I think we'll see Helen again, but I don't know if she'll be as important anymore. Don't forget she's probably going to lay low now since she's been exposed and she's smart enough to know that Lex and/or Lionel had the surveillance in the plane.

Guest Askewniverse

Damn, the guys on this show can't seem to catch a break. Clark's got the whole Lana thing (and to some extent, Chloe), and Lex has now had two failed marriages.

Anyway, I really hope WB doesn't do a Flash cameo in Smallville (although it seems possible with the new show coming out).  I mean Bruce would be neat, but Flash just would be pushing it way too far.

It could be worse. I remember hearing about some sort of Smallville - Birds of Prey crossover last year. That probably wouldn't have turned out too well.

Guest EQ

I would have marked out big time for that. I know Birds of Prey wasn't a good show, but I still watched/kinda liked it. A crossover would have been nice because in order for it to make sense in any kind of timeline, time travel would have had to be involved... and I think one of the things I love more than Superhero stories is time travel stories.

Guest Askewniverse
I would have marked out big time for that.  I know Birds of Prey wasn't a good show, but I still watched/kinda liked it.  A crossover would have been nice because in order for it to make sense in any kind of timeline, time travel would have had to be involved... and I think one of the things I love more than Superhero stories is time travel stories.

The whole timeline thing is why I thought that a crossover wouldn't have turned out too well. However, if the writers came up with a plausible storyline, then I could easily see a crossover working. Who knows, a successful crossover might even have saved Birds of Prey.

Here's a preview for Wednesday's new episode, taken from the WB.com:

"Extinction"

Clark (Tom Welling) discovers someone is hunting people affected by the kryptonite rocks and the killer's next target is Lex (Michael Rosenbaum). Clark uses his powers to save Lex, but is caught off guard when the killer learns his weakness and shoots him with a kryptonite bullet.

Guest EQ

From the previews I've seen, next week looks like a generic episode where nothing as far as the series-wide storyarc is really effected. Although, the Kryptonite bullet thing is always fun to watch, and it will be interesting to see how they handle it on Smallville.

Guest Askewniverse
From the previews I've seen, next week looks like a generic episode where nothing as far as the series-wide storyarc is really effected. Although, the Kryptonite bullet thing is always fun to watch, and it will be interesting to see how they handle it on Smallville.

Have they done a kryptonite bullet thing before? I could swear that they did, but I can't remember for sure. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

EQ, what happened to the Superman sig?