TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JMA

Kill Bill: volume 1

battle royale is much much better action movie than kill bill. battle royale is one of the better action movies released in a long time. it also does something most action movies never do, the actions all have a point and consequenses.

Guest El Satanico

Battle Royale is great, so yes go buy it.

You can also download it, if you'd rather see it before buying.

This movie was amazing. Simply the best movie I've seen all year. Yes, it even beats out my love for 28DL.

I found this interesting trivia/spoiler piece when surfing the net, as well:

Spoiler (Highlight to Read):

Elle Driver is named after Sarah L. Kelly - a production assistant on Pulp Fiction and director of Full Tilt Boogie who was nicknamed "El Driver" on the PF set due to her penchant for driving around.

The church scene was shot in the Mojave Desert outside of Lancaster, CA. Keep an eye out during this scene for a cameo by Samuel L. Jackson as a dead organ player and actor/director Bo Svenson as the preacher.

Vivendi Universal have negotiated with Miramax and A Band Apart to develop a video game version of the movie. In a deal arranged by the William Morris Agency, Tarantino has signed on as a "creative consultant" and will provide exclusive filmed segments to supplement the gameplay. The game's release is set to coincide with KB's home video release date - likely in Spring of 2004. So do be patient. As of now, the game is planned to be released on all console formats as well as the PC.

The film is being scored by RZA (of the Wu-Tang Clan) who will be putting out some retro-style scene-change themes (also known as "stabs"); he will be collaborating with Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich.

The chapter title "Can She Bake a Cherry Pie?" seems to allude to the folk song "Billy Boy" which goes something like: "Can she bake a cherry pie, Billy Boy, Billy Boy? / Can she bake a cherry pie, charming Billy? / She can bake a cherry pie quick as a cat can wink her eye. / She's a young thing and cannot leave her mother." Perhaps a version of this song will be a part of the movie's score - might I suggest the Gina Young rendition that includes the line "Here comes the bride, all dressed in white."?

The film's hospital scenes were filmed at the now defunct Saint Luke's Medical Center in Pasadena which currently operates exclusively as a movie set.

Bill's "Deadly Viper Assassination Squad" are comprised of women bearing snake related codenames such as Black Mamba, Copperhead, Cottonmouth, and Sidewinder [the only male]. These same names are given to members of the bad-guy group known as the Serpent Society, appearing in Captain America comic books.

The chapter "Yuki's Revenge" (available in the first draft script on this site) was cut from filming to accommodate a new chapter, "Massacre at Two Pines" that details the attack on The Bride.

Also changed from the original script -- the story of Pai Mei is no longer told in a Jeep on the way to the cruel master's temple. Rather, it is now unfolded in front of a campfire somewhere in the Chinese countryside, the night before Bill and The Bride arrive. With the aid of a flute (one of the silent flutes from Circle of Iron), Bill tells the tale of Pai Mei in a "Peter and The Wolf" type fashion.

Quentin wrote a brand new scene during the middle of filming (in a spiral notebook in orange felt tip, no less) that replaces the gambling scene with L.F. O'Boyle (a relative of Blue Lou, perhaps?). The new sequence is a flashback of the first assassination that The Bride ever saw Bill carry out.

During filming, the actors would often provide a "Hello, Sally!" take. This involved the actor finishing his or her take, turning to face the camera, and yelling "Hello, Sally!". Whether or not editor Sally Menke actually appreciates this has yet to be reported.

Elle Driver closely resembles Christina Lindberg's character in the Swedish exploitation classic Thriller (aka They Call Her One Eye) who also suffers the unfortunate fate of having her eye plucked out by a cruel master.

Okinawa is widely regarded as one of the worst possible places to get good sushi. In other words, a sushi joint in Okinawa would make a fine hiding place.

Chapter 10 of Kill Bill is entitled "The Blood Splattered Bride". There is a 1972 B horror film called The Blood Spattered Bride about a newly wedded couple that is haunted and tortured by the ghost of a dead woman.

The Lonely Grave of Paula Schultz is Chapter 8 of Kill Bill. There is a 1968 movie with the title The Wicked Dreams of Paula Schultz, a romantic comedy starring Elke Sommer as Paula and Bob Crane as, surprise surprise, Bill.

In the script, The Bride says that "she went on what the movie advertisements refer to as a Roaring Rampage of Revenge". There is a 1971 Exploitation film called Bury Me an Angel (a female revenge film) whose tagline reads: "She's a Howling Hellcat Humping a Hot Steel Hog on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge!"

Uma Thurman wears the same yellow jump suit that Bruce Lee wore in his final film.

The character Pai Mei appears in several Shaw Bros Kung Fu films (www.shawstudios.com) from the 1970s-80s including "Fist of the White Lotus". Pai Mei means "White Eyebrow".

At the beginning of Kill Bill there is a quote: "Revenge is a dish best served cold". This statement is also found in Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan, in which it referred to as an old Klingon proverb.

In the film, Bill tells The Bride that Pai Mei is "Nietzche's psalm personified - if he doesn't kill you, he will make you stronger". This quote is also referenced at the beginning of Conan The Barbarian (1982), a film that also focuses on swords and gore. Another connection Kill Bill has with Conan is the references to snakes. In Conan the group that killed Conan's parents have a large logo with 2 serpents facing each other. The main leader, played by James Earl Jones, turns into a snake in the film.

Hattori Hanzo was an ancient Samurai warrior in Japan in the 15th century. The character Hattori Hanzo was also on a TV show that QT and his friends would watch in the 80s.

Edited by mach7

Guest Cerebus

After seeing it a few references to Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs popped out at me immedietly (I havn't seen Jackie Brown in years, so I'll have to dig that out and see if i missed any from there).

1. The giant billboard for Red Apple cigarettes (these were the brand smoked by Uma Thurman & Bruce Willis's characters in Pulp Fiction)

2. Uma Thurman doing the "square" finger thing in Vivica Fox's house (Exactly what she does in Pulp Fiction outside Jack Rabbit Slims)

3. The pedistal angle from the trunk after Uma Thurman opens it (A similar scene in Reservoir Dogs when Mr. Blonde opens up the trunk to reveal the kidnaped cop)

4. The scene with Lucy Liu walking down the hall with her bodyguards to the theme song (This was similar to the opening scene of Reservoir Dogs with all of them walking though in slow motion)

5. The name of the movie, Kill Bill (In Reservoir Dogs, the name of the radio station was "K-Billy")

Anyone saw any others I missed?

Battle Royale 2 trailer is available on kazaa, no word on its release date in the U.S.

The whole war plot looks good but rather distant from the simpler original concept. But I'm sure it will be fun.

Guest Flyboy
Battle Royale 2 trailer is available on kazaa, no word on its release date in the U.S.

The whole war plot looks good but rather distant from the simpler original concept. But I'm sure it will be fun.

Battle Royale 2 can be downloaded already if you have Bit Torrent.. oh, and Kill Bill > Battle Royale.

This is now my favorite movie. Between the score, the action, the awesome visuals, and getting head from my girlfriend during the animated portion of the film, The Return of the King has its work cut out for it.

Guest Boomer Sprinklespax
I've never seen Jackie Brown, but I heard that it's "ok at best".

Jackie Brown is probably at the bottom of the rung for most people....but it also wasn't an original script by Quentin, which is probably why it lacked a bit. The ones he did original scripts for were Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill and True Romance(though he didn't direct that one)

Didn't QT write Natural Born Killers?

My God, this was a fantastic movie. Revolutions and/or Return of the King are going to have to really blow me away to top this movie.

Kill Bill kicked 67 different kinds of ass.

BTW, I'm trying to decide if Kill Bill or Braveheart is the most violent movie I've ever seen.

Dude...this was so freaking awesome.

I mean, just the black and white slaughter scene was worth seeing this movie. And there was just something sickingly funny about seeing men grabbing for their lost feet, and crying. Oh, and the part where Oren decapitates Tanaka is so brilliant and to the point.

Anyway, hell yes to Vol. 2!

The anime scene was my favourite. Just brilliant, moving images. The girl's mother's blood was dripping onto her face. And the lush backgrounds when she's standing on the rooftop. I'm not an anime fan at all, but I maybe I should look into it.

BTW, I vaguely seem to remember seeing parts of the black and white massacre scene in colour during a "Making of Kill Bill" 15 minute preview that aired on Showcase a few days ago. The thing that stood out was when Uma was doing the spineroonie and slicing the guys. I remember seeing that in colour. Does anyone else think QT might have decided to black & white these segments at the last minute, perhaps to avoid an NC-17 rating? I know they got away with much worse in the film, but there might be some rule in the guidelines that say you can only kill a number of people in colour, or something. I was distracted from the movie thinking about all that.

Also, my friends and I were discussing the possibility that Bill might've been Uma's fiancee, but then someone tells me that they said the fiancee was killed? Can anyone clear that up? thanks.

The groom at the wedding was killed along with supposedly Uma.

This movie was by far the best one I have seen since The Two Towers.... everything was so dead on, it just took a hold of my soul and did not let go until the credits rolled..

But there is something that is bothering me, and has ever since I saw the opening scene with Vivica...

Where the HELL have I seen a box of Kabooooms cereal before?????

The groom at the wedding was killed along with supposedly Uma.

But there is something that is bothering me, and has ever since I saw the opening scene with Vivica...

Where the HELL have I seen a box of Kabooooms cereal before?????

Kaboom is a real life cereal, not something they made up for the movie.

So maybe you've seen it at the store and just never noticed.

I assumed you were talking about "Where have I seen Kaboom cereal in my life?" and not "What movie have I seen it in before." That I can't help you with.

BTW, I was also under the impression that Bill was The Bride's fiance.

Although, it would make sense if

Spoiler (Highlight to Read):

at the start of the movie when she says "but it's your baby" it's supposed to be a revelation to Bill and he thought the guy she was marrying wasthe father.

I figured the line was meant in a "how can you kill your own baby" kind of way.

I thought the movie was great, but not in the traditional sense that 'Great Movies' are. KB, IMO, was great in the sense that I love watching it, could watch it over and over, there's nothing I don't like about it, but it doesn't really belong in the same category as Taxi Driver and Casablanca. I'd but KB in the same category as Versus and Evil Dead. It's pretty much #1 in that category, of course, but that's... I had a point, I swear...

...uh...movie was great...LOOK OVER THERE *RUNS*...

I thought the movie was great, but not in the traditional sense that 'Great Movies' are. KB, IMO, was great in the sense that I love watching it, could watch it over and over, there's nothing I don't like about it, but it doesn't really belong in the same category as Taxi Driver and Casablanca. I'd but KB in the same category as Versus and Evil Dead. It's pretty much #1 in that category, of course, but that's... I had a point, I swear...

...uh...movie was great...LOOK OVER THERE *RUNS*...

Totally understand what you're trying to say. I thought exactly the same thing.

Finally got around to watching it, and it was definately worth the wait. Kill Bill Volume 2 has jumped right to the top of the 'movies i'm most looking forward to' list.

Saw it last night. So many little things that make it awesome.

One of my favorites was the silouhette fighting in front of the blue light. Awesome movie.

Guest Crazy Dan

I loved this movie. Very stylish. This is where style triumphs over substance. I think any doubts to Tarantino not having it anymore have been eased. The thing about Tarantino, is that he was a way of picking the best part out of genre movies, and making that into a original film. I think working at that video store, allowed him to watch movies all day. And from that he was created four different films, but with much of his style.

This is a movie that grew on me once I left the movie. Tarantino has created one of the best kung-fu movies, not to be labled a kung-fu movie. I like the homage to Bruce Lee(her jump suit). The other cool thing about Kill Bill, is the music. My goodness. Tarantino has the ability to pick the music to fit the particular mood of the movie. From the opening song, "He Shot me, bang, bang", to the music that you hear on the commercial, the music fits in perfectly.

Now, this movie has been criticized by Bill O'Reilly. He put this movie in the same boat as "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre". Now I agree this movie should not be seen by kids, it still was not made with the attentions of kids seeing. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I have a feeling was (teen audiance). Now I haven't seen that movie, but I have a six sense that the original is much better. I liked this movie for what is was. And no Bill, I do not consider myself a "pinhead".

This is a great film, that is the most stylish flick to come out in years. The performances, albeit not Oscar worthy, are still very solid. Tarantino brings out the best in his actors he directs. My guess is he writes parts which often play to each particular strength of each actor. And I like that this movie still has an artistic feel to it. When you achieve artistic & financial success, like this movie has, IMO, it shows that there is hope and bright spots for the future of American film. Bravo to you Tarantino for making the movie you wanted. I can't wait for Vol. 2.

Speaking of sucker, I have the feeling I'll end up being the sucker for buying the movie on what is essentially a barebones DVD.

Yeah, it's all about the movie, but it still bothers me when better editions come out later.