TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sandman9000

NFL Trade Deadline Passes

Plagarized from ESPN.com

The Seattle Seahawks attempted to generate some interest in defensive end Anton Palepoi. Dallas toyed with the notion of shipping defensive back Andrew Davison to the New York Jets and tried, in talks with several teams, to land a young reserve tailback. The Minnesota Vikings, for the second year in a row, shopped superfluous running back Doug Chapman around the league.

The result of all the rhetoric?

When the NFL trade deadline passed quietly on Tuesday at 4 p.m., there had been plenty of dangling but, as usual, no deals.

In fact, several personnel directors and general managers suggested that there was even less dialogue than in past seasons, as teams opted to stand pat. Even those franchises that in recent days had considered so-called "bottom of the roster" trades, designed to bolster depth for the second half of the season and the playoff stretch run, backed away.

"I don't know, from talking to people around the league, that anything got even close to being (consummated)," said Washington Redskins vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato. "A team would call, float a name that you'd think about for 30 seconds or so, and that would be it. I mean, once the season starts, it's just not a trading league."

Recent history certainly confirms that.

This marked the sixth time in nine seasons that no "deadline day" trades were struck. In fact, since 1990, there have been only 12 deadline swaps, fewer than one per season. And since 1995, there have been only four true "deadline deals."

Last season, the Cowboys sent guard Kelvin Garmon to San Diego for a low-round draft pick, but that was on the Saturday preceding the trade deadline. The Cowboys tried, but not too hard, to improve their tailback situation before this year's deadline, but failed to come up with a trade partner.

Dallas queried San Francisco about the availability of the inconsistent Kevin Barlow and phoned the Miami Dolphins on little-used Leonard Henry but their trade overtures were rebuffed by the two teams. Rumors that the Cowboys spoke with the Cincinnati Bengals concerning star tailback Corey Dillon were unfounded.

The Cowboys did not explore the possibility of acquiring New York Giants tailback Ron Dayne, the former Heisman Trophy winner and 2000 first-round selection who has been relegated to "scout team" duty, and apparently neither did anyone else.

The characteristic dearth of deals, at least in some quarters, resurrected the debate over whether the NFL should delay the trade deadline until later in the season. The deadline is historically set for the Tuesday after the completion of the season's sixth weekend. But one member of the NFL's influential competition committee said there really has been little support for moving back the deadline.

Most personnel directors and coaches contend that a player added in October isn't likely to contribute immediately, since it will take a few weeks to assimilate the schemes of his new team, and also take the staff some time to divine a way to use him. But delaying the trade deadline would only exacerbate that perceived problem.

"You've got that element, plus the salary cap angle, and it just adds up to too big a risk for most teams to take on a guy even six weeks into the season," said one head coach. "We started to see, the last two years, a few more offseason trades. Maybe that (trend) will continue. But I never see us being like baseball, you know, with a trade deadline that comes just before the final month (of the season)."

When was the last time that there was a meaningful trade in the middle of the season?

Hell, most of the time, players leave via free agency or being cut, not through trades.

Trades are tough in football due to the offensive and defensive schemes are hard to adjust to. Runningbacks have to learn where the QB wants to put the ball, and how their line blocks. WR have to get timing down with their QB. Linemen have to learn to guage the QB cadence and learn the blocking scheme. It is just too tough to do mid season.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Basically what Ripper said.

This isn't like other sports where a team can try to add that missing piece at the deadline. You can't just insert a player into the starting lineup and not expect a disaster.

Plus the salary cap is such a bitch to work with ... that's the reason why baseball and hockey have a ton of trades (no cap issues to deal with) and basketball only has some (and it's normally only between guys with similar salaries).

Football's salary cap, which is far and away the strictest cap, makes it next to impossible to move players.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I really hate the NFL salary cap.

Nothing worse than seeing the Browns finally make the playoffs and then have to release every linebacker on the team because of cap issues.

This isn't like other sports where a team can try to add that missing piece at the deadline. You can't just insert a player into the starting lineup and not expect a disaster.

*coughCFLcoughdoescoughitcoughbarelycough*

Geez, somedays I just get this nasty cough, you know?

Seriously though, I don't buy it. Yes, it's true that adding someone new definitely can create some chaos, but wouldn't that happen if you trade away your starting goalie in the NHL? Your go to pitcher in the MLB? Your clutch shooter in the NBA?

And getting some new guys for it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's a risk you take. But if it makes your team overally stronger, why the hell wouldn't you?

Sure, the leagues I showed have less people to worry about making sure they do their job, but really, they (sports players) can't let shit like that bother them. They are getting paid millions of dollars to do their job. Someone new should be the only one worrying about his positioning in the offensive/defensive scheme.

Guest Choken One

everyteam in Football has a specific THICK playbook and scheme...

Baseball is pretty much the same for every damn team...

Guest Choken One

When I played ball we kept it simple we only had signs for Steals and it was simply sticking a finger in a ear...god knows why it was that.

And so it's a "thick" playbook. Everyone on the team should still play the same. That one player has to get adjusted to the system.

It's like any other game. New guy needs to get associated with the gameplay.

Besides, most teams have the "basic" gameplays and really just have defensive strats that specify needs-to-do stuff. All you have to do, is give that guy time to adjust to the system.

Now why is it that it's different for bringing a guy off the waivers who was cut and give the guy a starting position out of the blue (who was probably cut maybe two weeks ago) and yet, it's totally different if the guy was traded just recently and given that position?

As for baseball, I just used as an example.

Nothing worse than seeing the Browns finally make the playoffs and then have to release every linebacker on the team because of cap issues.

But it's all for the sake of parity! Parity is the reason the NFL is as great as it is! With parity, you never know which team is going to win! Parity makes the league more exciting!

Guest Salacious Crumb

But it's all for the sake of parity! Parity is the reason the NFL is as great as it is! With parity, you never know which team is going to win! Parity makes the league more exciting!

Yeah but it sucks when you struggle through a 5-27 start to your team and finally have a decently built team that goes 7-9 and then finally gets that missing piece late in another season to get them to the playoffs at 9-7 and after all those years of having no team and waiting for the expansion team problems to disappear you hit that DAMN salary cap which almost killed the team except for the fact that Andra Davis stepped it up big time for the team.

The only major trades that I ever remember happening during the season was Eric Dickerson to the Colts in '87 and the infamous Herschel Walker trade to the Vikings in '89 and those both came before the salary cap and free agency.

Yeah but it sucks when you struggle through a 5-27 start to your team and finally have a decently built team that goes 7-9 and then finally gets that missing piece late in another season to get them to the playoffs at 9-7 and after all those years of having no team and waiting for the expansion team problems to disappear you hit that DAMN salary cap which almost killed the team except for the fact that Andra Davis stepped it up big time for the team.

Oh I sympathize with you. My post was supposed to come off as pure sarcasm, but I guess that often fails on a message board.

I don't really care for the NFL's salary cap. It's much too restrictive in many instances (i.e. look at how few trades are ever made), as it does nothing but breed parity amongst all the teams. I know Paul Tagliabue's wet dream is to have every team finish 8-8, but too much parity is bad for the game.

I know the point of a salary cap is to prevent one team from building a dynasty and invoking a reign of terror on the rest of the league for a few years (i.e. early-90s Cowboys), but really, is it so terrible to have one or two teams that are the gold standard for the rest of the league? I think it makes the league more exciting, because every other team has one that they're ALWAYS ready to beat, and the fans get into it more because they want to see that team lose. Hell, everyone HATED the Cowboys when they were on top (at least all the non-Cowboy fans I know), and took great joy in seeing them lose (like with the Yankees in baseball). With the salary cap, you don't get that and I for one think the game suffers for it.

Besides, as you point out, why would you want to, as a fan, sit around for four years waiting for your team to get a small taste of the playoffs, only to have the guts of it ripped up before the next season because they can't "afford" to keep it on the field? It's ridiculous.

Obviously a completely "free market" system won't work either (see MLB), but there should be a little more leeway built into the NFL's ystem. The NBA's system isn't all that bad; they could use it as a model.

And so it's a "thick" playbook. Everyone on the team should still play the same. That one player has to get adjusted to the system.

It's like any other game. New guy needs to get associated with the gameplay.

Besides, most teams have the "basic" gameplays and really just have defensive strats that specify needs-to-do stuff. All you have to do, is give that guy time to adjust to the system.

Now why is it that it's different for bringing a guy off the waivers who was cut and give the guy a starting position out of the blue (who was probably cut maybe two weeks ago) and yet, it's totally different if the guy was traded just recently and given that position?

As for baseball, I just used as an example.

But who gets cut and gets a starting position. And how often is it successful?

I don't people realize how organized football is. They think it is just sprinting to the ball on defense and special teams and just throwing and running on defense.

Every defense, special team, offense play differently. QB's cadence change from team to team, so as a offensive lineman, that could get you to jump or get off the ball late on another team. The QB release time is different for every team. WR running stop or hook routes will have off timing. The way your fullback or line blocks differs from team to team. Runningbacks can have a hard time finding a hole and such. You can run the same play with the same assignments with two teams and it will never REALLY look the same.

Everything works well in offseason because they have time to learn. But in the NFL season, when the practice only 2-3 times TOPS during the week, there just isn't much time to learn.

The NFL practices less, and there are less individual plays than in other sports.

I don't think a single player could get traded to the Indy midseason and not fuck up royally

Guest Salacious Crumb

Defense is easier to just insert a player into though. Offensive plays have a lot to do with timing, etc.

I love trades in sports. Deadline day trades are what have made Billy Beane a legend. It annoys me that football doesn't trade more.

Made Billy Beane a what?

Your third post I believe Ripper hit the nail on the head, it is an VERY complex game, especially on offense, because on offense you rarely change your gameplan based on the defense.

And as a Bengal fan the comment of getting timing down is true, as I have heard that for the past three years! :angry:

While Lawyer Milloy and Randall Godfrey are good examples you also having to remember both have tremendous supporting casts ( Milloy: Winfield, Clements) ( Godfrey: Simmons, Brown)