TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

The ONE and ONLY World Series Thread

Guest Anglesault
I'm more referring to the last decade or so, which has produced winning, but fairly bland or uninteresting teams, IMO.

I personally think 99 was a nice story. 96 was kind of cool.

98 was just a massive team.

And what in all hell have the Cubs done to get anyone interested in the last decade?

And this game is still well in hand

Guest Anglesault
Anglesault, why do you think the 1999 Yankees was a nice story?

Torre was sick, and they had alot of fathers die towards the end of the season, ad IMO it was just nice to see them win from that standpoint.

Guest Choken One

Be the biggest draw Baseball has dispite being one of the annual worst teams...People love chicago either for the lovable losers aspect or the fact that Chicago was the only team in america other then the apathetic Braves to have their own National Network airing games and we were kids, we'd watch the afternoon cubbies game...so we all have a love connection with them..

and what the fuck was so great about 1999? Beating Braves again in a Sweep? Hee fucking Haw.

1996, I'll give you, return to glory, Torre's brother and such but 1998, 1999, 2000 they were boring as hell and the world series were among the worst ever played.

2001 had the post-9/11 draw where for the first time maybe ever, the country WANTED New York to win it...

1996- Interesting, because the Yankees return to glory, and win 4 straight to do it. The Leyritz HR game is a classic.

1998- Just sheer dominance.

1999- The worst year, because it didn't seem like anyone would beat the Yankees, and none of the NL teams inspired confidence. The Braves were more boring than the Yankees at that point.

2000- The postseason wasn't bad since some new faces showed up (namely the Cardinals) but no one cared about the Subway Series. The actual games were pretty good. The Yankee team that year, however, hardly felt like champions.

2001- One of the great World Series. And I was pulling for the D'backs at that point (Obnoxious Yankee fans will do that to you).

I'm more referring to the last decade or so, which has produced winning, but fairly bland or uninteresting teams, IMO.

And what in all hell have the Cubs done to get anyone interested in the last decade?

And this game is still well in hand

Putting my Yankee hatred aside slightly...

I can see '96 being big, because it was the first WS win since '78 (oooh, a whole 18 year difference... allright allright I can't supress it entirely), but it also left Yankee fans somewhat empty because their most beloved player from the previous 13 seasons had retired the year previous, thus leaving him ringless.

'98, powerhouse team, I can see that.

Not sure about '99... something felt so empty about that year... killed the Rangers yet again (3rd time in 4 years, big deal), beat the Red Sox (been doing that for years) and beat the Braves (been there done that)

The only interesting thing from the '99 postseason was the Jim Gray-Pete Rose incident

Oh yeah, and those two last games between the Braves and Mets in '99 were good too, I forgot

Especially the supposed incident of Ricky Henderson and Bobby Bonilla ditching the team to go play cards in the clubhouse in Game 6

Guest Choken One

Umm...There were only Five Games If I recall...So how could this be possible.

Guest Anglesault
and what the fuck was so great about 1999? Beating Braves again in a Sweep? Hee fucking Haw.

Much like that other time they swept the Braves.

Uhm...

Yeah, you know, that time.

And I like the Yankees over coming personal tragedies to win it all.

Guest Choken One

Coulda Sworn it only went Five...Oh well...are we talking about the Subway series or something else...

1996, I'll give you, return to glory, Torre's brother and such but 1998, 1999, 2000 they were boring as hell and the world series were among the worst ever played.

2001 had the post-9/11 draw where for the first time maybe ever, the country WANTED New York to win it...

1996 was interesting because of the Yankees returning and winning the World Series for the first time in 18 years. Plus, it had the Joe Torre subplot with his brother dying and his other brother having a heart transplant and surviving.

I didn't actually find the 1998 season to be boring. Of course, that's because I'm a Yankee fan. I actually believe 1998 was probalby the best season to be a Yankees fan. The 1998 playoffs and World Series was just the continuation of the overall incredible year the Yankees had where they won 114 games and many proclaim that team to be the greatest baseball team ever. The sweep against the Padres was actually the perfect ending to the 1998 season as the '98 season belonged to the New York Yankees although the whole country was interested in the Mark McGuire/Sammy Sosa homerun chase.

1999, I admit, wasn't as great as 1998 for the Yankees or baseball in general. Sure the Yankees won the World Series but everyone bascially predicted it. It basically added the "Team of the Century" tag to the Yankees.

The 2000 World Series wasn't interesting for the rest of the country, but in New York, it was headline news. The 2000 World Series is one of my personal favorites because as a native New Yorker, I always wanted to see a Yankees vs. Mets World Series. It was a great World Series for me, personally, especially when the Yankees beat the Mets in 5 games proving to Mets fans everywhere that the Yankees were indeed the better team. Truly a great moment for Yankee fans. And considering how bad the Mets are playing, the 2000 World Series maybe the only Subway Series I'll see in my lifetime.

And I find it funny that the only year (2001) where the entire country was actually rooting for the Yankees to win, was the year that they lost.

Guest Anglesault

I can see '96 being big, because it was the first WS win since '78 (oooh, a whole 18 year difference... allright allright I can't supress it entirely), but it also left Yankee fans somewhat empty because their most beloved player from the previous 13 seasons had retired the year previous, thus leaving him ringless.

He really needs to take that hitting coach job, just to get a ring.

Coulda Sworn it only went Five...Oh well...are we talking about the Subway series or something else...

I was talking about the '99 NLCS, which I broke off of a tangent when I initially said nothing was really interesting about the '99 postseason, which I realize was essentially on the AL side, as games 5 and 6 from the NLCS were fierce.

Guest Anglesault
he can have Zimmer's seat.

Or, he could, you know, take the hitting coach job they've been offering him for eight years.

Game 5 and Game 6 of the 1999 NLCS are indeed fierce games that are ledgendary Mets games. I was on my feet for both games. I was heartbroken when the Mets lost because I was actually rooting for them to win so that we could have a Mets vs. Yankees World Series.

Oh well, the Subway Series happened the next year.

<cut Yankee stuff>

Side note: How dare you remove your avatar with Christy Romano and replace it with that! I'm blind...

</notserious>

And MST still owns

Guest Choken One
Don Zimmer has two rings from his playing days, on the '55 and '59 Dodgers.

I mean for his job...what's the coach of?

I mean you got Pitching Coach, 3rd Base Coach etc...what's his TITLE.

Oh yeah, the score went to 3-2 sometime while we were talking (have to keep checking TV in other room)

Although Florida is threatening to add some runs now

Guest Choken One

Okay...I'm tired of this guy...He's gets more airtime the fucking J-Lo.

The whole GBA thing is old...

I have to admit, that was pretty cool to show the fan with the "God Bless America" sign with the famous photograph of the NYFD raising the flag on 9/11..