TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest hhheld_down

The One and Only WWE No Mercy 2003 Thread

What the hell were you expecting?

I was expecting this. That's my point.

People in the ratings thread and throughout the past months here have been blaming buyrates on Angle/Brock when in fact, they aren't even the main eventers of the show.

Jason

People in the ratings thread and throughout the past months here have been blaming buyrates on Angle/Brock when in fact, they aren't even the main eventers of the show.

Jason

That's an excellent point. I hear lots of folks discuss how the McMahons blame guys like Angle and Lesnar for low ratings when several smarks do as well.

Wait, you're saying it's the FIRST EVER father-daughter I Quit match? Oh then, that changes my mind. I'm off to order the show~!

Jason

That's an excellent point. I hear lots of folks discuss how the McMahons blame guys like Angle and Lesnar for low ratings when several smarks do as well.

Most of the time, a Vince McMahon match will get a decent crowd reaction, and he is probably the most over heel with the marks on SD.

Plus, you know the match will be booked well enough and be short enough to hide their weeknesses.

In fact, I'm gonna do my best to enjoy it tonight!

*can't wait to see the buyout rates for this PPV

Anyway, like someone said before on here, I'm still waiting for Vince Vs. Linda in HIAC

Yeah, this show does sound a lot more promising than Unforgiven. I think the main reason a lot of people are so angry about this card because their last memory of WWE PPV was that atrocity about a month ago. We should remember what the last Smackdown only PPV was like and remember that the two before this one were both Raw dominated.

Yeah, this show does sound a lot more promising than Unforgiven. I think the main reason a lot of people are so angry about this card because their last memory of WWE PPV was that atrocity about a month ago. We should remember what the last Smackdown only PPV was like and remember that the two before this one were both Raw dominated.

But once again, the difference between the last Smackdown PPV and this one is listed here:

[benoit v. Guerrero, Kidman/Rey v. WGTT, Angle v. Big Show v. Brock] v. [Rey v. Tajiri, Angle v. Cena, Benoit v. A-Train, Guerrero v. Big Show, Brock v. UT]

Vengeance had 3 AWESOME matches that were almost guaranteed to be super, while this show has 2 matches that promise to be good and three that can be either/or.

Jason

Guest StevieNightHeat

Zach Gowen gets a match, but no WGTT? No Mercy is going to suck...

But once again, the difference between the last Smackdown PPV and this one is listed here:

[benoit v. Guerrero, Kidman/Rey v. WGTT, Angle v. Big Show v. Brock] v. [Rey v. Tajiri, Angle v. Cena, Benoit v. A-Train, Guerrero v. Big Show, Brock v. UT]

Vengeance had 3 AWESOME matches that were almost guaranteed to be super, while this show has 2 matches that promise to be good and three that can be either/or.

Jason

All very true, but Vengeance also had Sable vs Stephanie and Vince vs Zach Gowen. At least on this PPV, the McMahons are confined to ONE match. Granted, the one match will probably be longer than both Vengeance matches combined but... I'm trying... damn....

Ah well, I love proving myself wrong. I guess my main point was that we shouldn't underestimate the talent of the Smackdown brand. They didn't have much going into Vengeance either so maybe we'll all be surprised and proclaiming "Best PPV in a long time" later tonight.

Zach Gowen gets a match, but no WGTT?

Good point. I'd rather see Charlie Haas Vs. Matt Hardy instead of Matt Vs. that fucking cripple.

I think it's clear that WGTT is getting majorly depushed. That's what they get for putting on some of the best matches of the year, I guess.

Well, isn't Shelton Benjamin still sort of injured? I hear he was doing dark matches and such. Maybe they don't think he's ready to go 15 minutes in a PPV match.

Oh, any idea what the Heat match is going to be tonight? I'm guessing it will be A.P.A. vs The Bashams (unless it gets moved onto the PPV) but I think it would be great if we could have something like Spanky and Paul London vs WGTT (which would be an AWESOME tag title match someday).

I think it's sort of funny how everyone hates Zach Gowen. I personally don't mind him, but the hatred that so many smarks display for him is amusing.

Guest Choken One

wgtt didn't have time to set up a program so it's not a crime they aren't hurt since Benjamin only JUST came back from injury

wgtt didn't have time to set up a program so it's not a crime they aren't hurt since Benjamin only JUST came back from injury

Exactly. This isn't like Summerslam where the WWE writers had no fucking excuse to leave them off the show and to include La Resistance instead.

Here is the PPV preview from Dave Meltzer. Might contain some *Spoilers*

Tonight's line-up:

*Matt Hardy vs. Zach Gowen - Gowen has been pretty cold since his return but he's still an unbelievable worker considering his handicap. At one point they were going to have Gowen join Hardy, and since Hardy gets a face reaction most nights, this may be an angle to go back face for Matt. I'm not sure of any purpose for this match unless there is an angle

*Chris Benoit vs. A-Train - Benoit is in line for title shots soon with Lesnar. Benoit almost never has a bad match and this should be no exception, but it probably won't be the caliber of what you expect from Benoit on PPV

*Tajiri vs. Rey Mysterio for cruiserweight title - I'm presuming that Ryan Sakoda and Jimmy Yang debut here and screw Mysterio out of the win. Anyway, that's just a guess, since these two are scheduled to work through December and it's better for a Rey chase. These two almost always have very good matches and if they are given time, it's probably the surest bet for a great match on the show.

*Eddy Guerrero vs. Big Show for U.S. title - I doubt this will be the classic Guerrero wrestling match, but I also expect it to be entertaining in some fashion.

*Kurt Angle vs. John Cena - This is a big test for Cena, as he's ready to move up and the only thing holding him back is his in-ring work. I don't know that this will happen, but he probably should sneak out a win here and we'll see how Angle can handle what I presume to be a longer match with a less skilled wrestler than he's used to. Then again, Angle has had good matches with Big Show.

*Vince McMahon vs. Stephanie McMahon - The big challenge here is to have a match and at the same time protect Stephanie's face for Saturday's wedding. Stephanie will be away for a few weeks between wedding preparation and her honeymoon after this one.

*Brock Lesnar vs. Undertaker in a biker chain match for the title - The way I see it, Vince screws Undertaker out of the match. Since it'll be put in the main event slot, they'll be given time. I expect a very good match.

The card doesn't have any match that are going to be a special draw unless Vince vs. Stephanie's hype actually gets people curious. Unless that match has clicked from all the hype, this could be the lowest buy rate in years. But on paper, you've got either matches with good workers, or a match with a great worker, so it should be a solid wrestling show.

I don't hate Zach, hell I don't even really dislike Zach.

I just can't help not laughing during a Zach match.

I admire all he did to fight back against cancer but....I can't help but laugh when he gets tossed around like a rag doll.

I know it's not suppose to be funny but it makes me chuckle.

I don't hate Zach, hell I don't even really dislike Zach.

I just can't help not laughing during a Zach match.

I admire all he did to fight back against cancer but....I can't help but laugh when he gets tossed around like a rag doll.

I know it's not suppose to be funny but it makes me chuckle.

Hehe, I understand what you're getting at.

Zach will always hold a special place in my heart for making Vince bleed the way he did at Vengeance. It was fucking sick. :cheers:

Guest ManKinnd

Brock/Taker - ***. These guys work well together, and the gimmick may actually help the match. Alright, it won't, but I still see this being decent.

Vince/Steph - *1/2 just cause they know how to book McMahon matches very well, even if the actual wrestling will be goddamned hideous.

Tajiri/Rey - ****1/4. Please please please give this time. There's only 7 matches, and there isn't one reason this can't go 20 minutes.

Gowan/Hardy - **. Zach's matches aren't terrible, and Hardy can keep this together, methinks. I'll put it this way. Gowan/McMahon was **1/2 and Hardy>McMahon. Right?

Eddy/Show - **1/4. Eddy is a god, but I think these two will just clash. No way it can be higher than this, though I'd love for Eddy to prove me wrong like he has before.

Benoit/Train - ***1/4. These two put on a better match every time they face each other. Train puts on his friggin boots against Benoit, and since it's PPV, I'm expecting something.

Angle/Cena - ***1/2. Cena isn't THAT good, but Angle is, so we'll see how much Angle can lead him through this thing. I'm guessing pretty well.

Overall: Hey, if I'm right we've got 4 ***+ matches, with one going into **** territory, and that would be very good. Remember how we all doubted Vengeance. REMEMBER.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

A-Train?! In a 3-Star Match?

Damn I guess Hell froze over.

Although Benoit is the best worker on SD, even he has trouble getting ** w/ Atrain.

And eve though Gowen has a lot of hate, he has better matches than 3/4 of the roster (which is mainly the hosses).

Gowan/Hardy - **. Zach's matches aren't terrible, and Hardy can keep this together, methinks. I'll put it this way. Gowan/McMahon was **1/2 and Hardy>McMahon. Right?

Methinks you have a good point.

This is the scenario I'm hoping will play out.

Overall: Hey, if I'm right we've got 4 ***+ matches, with one going into **** territory, and that would be very good. Remember how we all doubted Vengeance. REMEMBER.

I remember seriously doubting Vengeance. I agree, I think most of us are going to be pleasantly surprised with tonight. Let's just hope the Raw influence doesn't affect No Mercy like we're afraid of.

And to be honest, the WWE has done worse cards this year. I prefer this card over No Way Out, Backlash, Judgement Day, and Unforgiven.

Guest wrestlingbs

My one and only NM predictions (like anyone cares):

Matt Hardy vs. Zach Gowan

Buildup: Matt was all ready to face Zach at SS, but Brock decided to cripple him (even further). Thus, Matt declared himself the winner and the WWE forgot about both the match and Matt. Now Zach is back and they are right where they left off.

Analysis: Zach is right: most people do look at him not as a wrestler but as a freak show. That may be why the WWE decided to scrap his match at SS, as he was starting to get booed. i think if Zach does a decent job in this match (which he hasn't done in his past matches) people may see past the one leg.

Prediction: Matt wins, and Gowan either joins Matt and keeps going as a plucky face or joins Matt and becomes a part of his heel stable.

Rey vs. Tajiri for CW title

Buildup: After a good match on SD, Tajiri turned on Rey. A rematch was set up, and Tajiri won the title via EVIL red mist. Now Rey wants it back.

Analysis: Should be off the hook. Both have the skills to make this a **** match.

Prediction: Jimmy Yang interferes and Tajiri wins. The Japanese Mafia is formed and Rey has a new stable to fight.

Benoit vs. A-Train

Buildup: A-Train just can't beat Benoit (or cut a promo). Unfortunately he's working on the former by having this match.

Analysis: Benoit could make this an ok match, but don't expect any miracles.

Prediction: The only way anything will come out of this is if A-Train wins.

Eddie vs. Big Show for the US title

Buildup: After Vengeance Show disappeared. Now his feud with Eddie has brough him back from the brink (which is usually where he resides). Eddie has kept humiliating both Show and wrestling fans with fecal matter. Now it's time for Eddie to put up a fight.

Analysis: This fued has both slightly racist and very gross at the same time. Which is weird since the match may not be that bad. Eddie is on fire right now, and Show has, dared I say it, improved.

Prediction: If the WWE has even the smallest bit of sense, they'd push Eddie to the top at S. Series with Brock. And Show needs the US title more than Eddie right now to say afloat in the upper midcard. Therefore Show should win.

Kurt Angle vs. Cena

Buildup: Why are these guys fighting? I vaguely remember Cena attacking Angle, but there isn't really a reason behind this.

Analysis: Battle of the guys who are not doing anything! This won't be as great as some people think it will be. Not just because of Cena, but also because I don't think Angle is going to put a lot into this match.

Prediction: Cena is promising, but not that promising. Angle wins.

Brock vs. Undertaker in a Biker Chain match for the WWE title

Buildup: And since when are chains considered an object closely associated with bikers? Although I've seen some bikers use it, pretty much anyone can use a chain as a weapon. Taker won a #1 contender's match right before Brock won the title. He lost to Angle, but Steph gave him the match back. It's just about the title.

Analysis: With the aid of a cell Taker and Brock were about to have a good match a year ago. With the aid of a chain I'm not so sure. Sounds more like a ladder match, and Taker isn't good at ladder matches. Expect this to be long and decent.

Prediction: I don't think Taker can whine his way into another title reign, at least not at this time. Brock wins.

Vince vs. Steph in a I QUIT match

Buildup: Don't fool yourself, this will be the main event. And I'm not talking about in promotion either, which this thing definitley is. This will most likely be the last match, since Vince's urge to fondle his own daughter now reaches into PPV. I know that's mean, but come on, so has this feud. Vince hates Steph because she won't do as he asks. So instead of firing her and sparing the audience, Vince has decided to slowly torture everyone with horrible 20 minute interviews. This ended in a glorious interview with Steph in which her acting was booed out of the building.

Analysis: I shutter to think about this match. Both these non-wrestlers have had good matches in the past, but they had the benefit of better booking and better shape. Vince's last PPV match with Gowan was a long, boring disaster, and i think this match will be no different.

Prediction: Is there any doubt? Vince wins, Steph goes off to marry HHH, and the WWE has to pay up $2000 dollars for this. Everybody wins, except us.

To be honest, I'm not ordering. Only a few matches have a chance of being good, and that's not enough.

And to be honest, the WWE has done worse cards this year. I prefer this card over No Way Out, Backlash, Judgement Day, and Unforgiven.

What was wrong with No Way Out? I think it was the best PPV next to Vengeance that isn't part of WWE's big 4.

I've discussed with many people before, but I still think Bad Blood was the worst PPV WWE has given us so far.