TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Tom

Topics in Current Events

In the past months, we've had some topics posted in CE that have been significantly less than relevant. The Current Events forum is for discussion of important happenings and issues on the international, national, and local arenas. Posting news stories is common and perfectly acceptable, as is starting a thread about a hot-button issue like gun control. However, stories about men severing their own penises, fishermen getting anally violated with bananas, and anything else that's similar to that is fluff. Fluff does not belong in Current Events. Fluff belongs in General Chat, or NHB if the material warrants it. Current Events should be kept for things which actually have a meaningul impact on peoples' lives.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
However, stories about men severing their own penises, fishermen getting anally violated with bananas, and anything else that's similar to that is fluff

Did you ever in your life expect to utter this sentence?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

As a matter of fact..that's a strong contender for a sentence that has never been said before.

However, stories about men severing their own penises, fishermen getting anally violated with bananas, and anything else that's similar to that is fluff.

If I was anally violated with a banana or had my winky chopped off I wouldn't consider the news to be "fluff."

(Just wanted to get my two bits in before this thread gets locked down...)

As a matter of fact..that's a strong contender for a sentence that has never been said before.

I'm getting that sentence tattoed on my penis...in size 20 font....in one line (oh yeah...I can do it) and then post a thread about it in CE. That sir, would not be fluff. That would be news.

My penis would then not only be fun, but educational.

Hey, this will probably be pinned for a while and maybe even locked. Better get my one liners in.

Well...

THATS MY MAMMA!!!!

Hehehehehehehe.....

*leaves*

I'm getting that sentence tattoed on my penis...in size 20 font....in one line (oh yeah...I can do it) and then post a thread about it in CE. That sir, would not be fluff. That would be news.

My penis would then not only be fun, but educational.

You could offer to show it off in schools, then, since it would certainly be more educational than one of their crappy textbooks.

Then again, that might not be such a good idea...

Since like 90% of the fluff articles are stolen directly from fark.com, why don't we just add into the General Chat description something to give people the hint to keep it in there.

This forum is for general discussion of the SmarkBoard community, things taken from fark.com, and "Best/Worst Posters" type of metatextual nonsense. Please note, this is NOT a flaming folder; all flaming goes in the No Holds Barred folder, not here

Y'know, if people really want to post fluff pieces in here, and if others enjoy posting sarcastic and other humorous replies to them, I don't see why we couldn't just have a pinned thread for them. What I mainly object to are the daily "Man cuts off his own balls" threads which bump all the more important discussions down (and, eventually, off) the topic list, last for barely a page or so, and produce one or two witticisms but little if any intelligent conversation. Let's just change the title of this thread to "Post All Fluff Here" or something. Everyone should be happy with that solution, right?

I think all three of those are fluff. The McDonald's story has the outrage factor going for it, but it doesn't change the fact that it's an isolated incident that few people will give two pins about.

And the Bihar thing is fluff too because it was posted as just another one of your "Them darkies so crazy!" threads. If you'd tied it into societal trends or the difference between Asian and Western cultures' concepts of marriage you might have had a halfway decent thread. As it was, you didn't.

What I mainly object to are the daily "Man cuts off his own balls" threads which bump all the more important discussions down (and, eventually, off) the topic list, last for barely a page or so, and produce one or two witticisms but little if any intelligent conversation.

I'm sure a debate can be made by saying many of the "intelligent" threads have little intellectual substance in them.

At least on one side of the issue anyway.

And if anyone says threads about kitties being maimed is "fluff" then I'll introduce you to my Louisville Slugger.

EDIT: We may get another Kitty Maiming thread, seeing how JJ just threw up all over these towels I just took out of the dryer. Here kitty, kitty...

Edited by kkktookmybabyaway

And the Bihar thing is fluff too because it was posted as just another one of your "Them darkies so crazy!" threads. If you'd tied it into societal trends or the difference between Asian and Western cultures' concepts of marriage you might have had a halfway decent thread. As it was, you didn't.

When did I say darkies are crazy. I posted it because of the inane shit that goes on in other "civilized" countries.

And the problem with that is... ?

If the content is good, people interested in current events will post. For those interested in fluff and badinage, they now know where to go.

Now if Saddam Hussein gets his penis severed or anus violated with a banana would that be considered fluff?...

Yes, unless it is discovered that Bin Laden is the perpetrator and is using the "parts" to construct weapons of mass destruction.... Well, there's my contribution.... :throwup:

Excerpts from the text of the UN Emergency Meeting on the subject of the One Ring

'There is only one way to destroy the ring: to take it it's origin,' Gandalf announced, 'the fires of Mt. Doom within the heart of Mordor.'

'We'll have to ask the permission of Sauron then if we can go into Mordor,' Kofi Annan said.

'But it must be done in secrecy!' Gandalf objected.

'Then you’re asking for the U.N. to sanction an invasion,' Kofi Annan rejoined, 'And that has to be voted on by the Security Council.'

Chirac hissed, 'Jacques will use his vetoses to save the precious.'

'But America is our ally,' Chirac then said while cowering, 'We need to help them.'

'No!' Chirac shouted back at himself, 'Nasty America trixies poor France! The precious should be ours!'

'Okay,' whimpered Chirac, 'I surrender.'

'How long does he get to go on like this?' Bush asked impatiently.

'Since he is debating himself, he gets twice the floor time,' Kofi Annan answered, 'Then we have to have debate from all the other countries and let them cast their meaningless votes on the matter.'

The debate raged for hours upon hours as all countries and all races that walked the earth weighed in... and then weighed in again until the most ancient and wise of the Ents, Treebeard, said, 'Speed this the fuck up!'

Finally a resolution passed 144 to 4 that the problem was all the fault of Israel.

Boy, Dr. Tom's gonna be mad at us today! :D

All of the topics are relevant...just the people for and against them aren't who you would think.

That's awesome. And you know it would go down like that, too.

Hardly. :P I thought it was pulled off very well, in fact. I thought it odd when I saw Colonel KKK advocating a traditionally liberall viewpoint, but then when I saw Tyler quoting an Ann Coulter column for reasons other than saying "OMG THE W3RD OF SATAN~!!!1!!11!!!!" I knew the April Fool's fix was in.

Well done, all of you who were involved.