TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

Read the Diatribe...

Guest Coffey

I love your bitter writing style this week.

The guy is as generic as they come and is probably the weakest worker in the X Division right now, yet he holds both the X Title and the X Trophy to try and garner some heat. I could understand it if maybe the guy was over…but the crowd couldn’t give a SHIT about him! His promos lack any real charisma, he doesn’t have a great look or character and his in ring work is average at best.

*runs off to finish reading*

BTW, are you going to get back to me about the Raw slot? I pm'ed you like a week ago.

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

Yeah, I'm in the minority who likes Shane, but I don't get this X Division title push.

Shane was taught to be a very methodical, old school worker, and he doesn't really spot at all. Definitely NOT "X" style. Probably the same reason why you don't see guys like Jimmy Rave, Colt Cabana or Chris Hero on TNA. They're all great, solid wrestlers, but they lack the defining "markout" stuff to get them over right away on the time-constrained PPV format.

In a way, Shane's push reflects the main problem with TNA's PPV-only system. TNA needs people who can get over IMMEDIATELY, through either flashy offense or a great character. Shane has neither, but he can get over if built up over time and with proper booking. If it was on free TV, people wouldn't have as much of a problem with the push, but since they're *paying* for the show, they want to see the guys who make an immediate impression, and not a slow development. They get sick of seeing the boring guy all the time and don't want to wait for his gradual improvement to justify the push.

It's also probably the reason why Dutch Mantell's booking hasn't been well-received. Slow burn works GREAT on free TV, however, but when you're paying, you want instant gratification.

I pretty much agreed with everything except the Dusty Rhodes thing. Dusty mightn't be a 'good' wrestler anymore, but he's got a connection with the crowd that nobody on TNA has. I know he's not everybody's cup of tea but to me, Dusty is still one of the most entertaining guys in wrestling, whether he's in the ring or cutting a promo.

Guest OSIcon

I don't see all the strong hate for Michael Shane.

Yes, he doesn't fit in the X-Division. That much I can agree with it. It is sort of a problem that TNA created for itself when they started the X-Division. The early hype job and matches for the division got it over as a place where you will see matches with incredible high spots and new moves all at a break-neck pace. So when the put the belt on more grounded workers like Siaki and Shane, everyone shits on it (which is understandable). Regardless of weather or not that wrestler is a bad worker (and Shane is not a BAD worker).

Shane is a fary cry from the worst wrestler in the X-Division. As far as being well rounded and solid, Shane is probably one of the better wrestlers in the X-Division. The only problem, has someone said above, is that Shane doesn't fit the X-Division mold.

I don't think he's even close to the best worker. I've seen him with other workers that are good at ground-based stuff, and he just doesn't hold up. His match with CM Punk at 11/9/02 was awful. I don't think I've ever seen a ***+ Michael Shane match. He's slow, he doesn't sell well, he looks bloated, and he gets blown up. He's an OK worker, but not even close to being worthy of holding any title.

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood
I don't think I've ever seen a ***+ Michael Shane match.

Unscripted Ladder Street Fight maaaan, fo sho. LOVE that match.

His Honor Invades Boston match with London was also pretty solid.

I've seen the Street Fight in question...and it sucked. Seriously. Paul London carried Shane kicking and screaming to a ** match (and those ** are just for London being great). It says something when you can't even have a fun match using WEAPONS (which are the standard go-to's for bad workers).

Dames, you were EASY on this show. Hell, I gave every match but Kash/Abyss between DUD and *3/4 (for Kash/Abyss, I gave it **1/2, because I thought it was very fun, the two had good chemistry, and both men bumped like hell for each other).

Guest OSIcon
I don't think he's even close to the best worker. I've seen him with other workers that are good at ground-based stuff, and he just doesn't hold up. His match with CM Punk at 11/9/02 was awful. I don't think I've ever seen a ***+ Michael Shane match. He's slow, he doesn't sell well, he looks bloated, and he gets blown up. He's an OK worker, but not even close to being worthy of holding any title.

As I said, I agree he shouldn't be X-Division Champion and he is not the best wrestler in in that divison. A bad worker, though, he is not.

I actually liked his match against Punk from All Star Extravanganza. They worked a really solid and simple match. It was the perfect match to work in that situation. They were opening up a guantlet and you want the guantlet matches to build in momentum. So opening up with a solid, low on spots match works. That match was a great example of that and kept me entertained live and on tape. Not a great match, but solid.

I agree that the Street Fight is generally overrated in that its not nearly MOTY level. However, it is still a "good" or slightly better match. London is certainly the star in it, but I fail to see where Shane drags it down.

I'm not trying to say Shane is great or anything, but he is far from horrible. He has heel mannerisms down, can work a crowd, has the basic way of working a match down, and has a decent (if not unflashy) moves set. His habbit of strapping on a chin lock instead of any other submission move IS annoying and he is not a super worker or anything. It is just he is much better than the "worst wrestler in the X-Division" and isn't terrible by any stretch. I think I would just descirbe him as solid. Nothing better, nothing worse.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Woo! Dames insults Michael Shane more than anyone in this forum!

From the Diatribe, I thank God I didn't order this week.

I'm guessing Duggan & Steiner were just lackies for Sting, who Jimmy Hart did manage for like a week when he was teaming with Hogan. LOL.

(Allows 1inch 1 free insult for why Raven had to fight Vampiro, one of the worst wrestlers on the roster)

Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist
(Allows 1inch 1 free insult for why Raven had to fight Vampiro, one of the worst wrestlers on the roster)

Whoo- Hoo

Guest Salacious Crumb

Yeah it could be way worse.

Ace Steel could be the champ for starters.

Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist

Who's Ace Steel?

Was he the guy they tried to give an AJ Styles push to, until his first match and he couldnt do his own finisher????

I gotta say though, as bad as Shane is, the worst X Champ has to be Waltman

Guest OSIcon
Yeah it could be way worse.

Ace Steel could be the champ for starters..

Ace Steel is SO much better than his TNA run. Again, like Shane, he is a guy that TNA tried to push as an X-Division star when he is not an X-Division type wrestler. However, he is very good.

Guest Dynamite Kido

Dames you forgot to add:

"TNA should either give my 10 bucks back or figure out a way to give me back those 2 hours of my life".

How can you say the worst X-Division champion was Waltman when he had two matches with the title, both of which were ***? I've NEVER seen Shane come close to even a **1/2 match when he wasn't being obviously carried, and Waltman held his own in his matches with Styles.

As for Ace Steel...I haven't seen his Wildside work, which I do hear is good, but his TNA work was the drizzling shits.

Guest PowerPB13

Even the least of TNA shows is better than your average WWE show nowadays.

-Patrick

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood
As for Ace Steel...I haven't seen his Wildside work, which I do hear is good, but his TNA work was the drizzling shits.

Ace actually isn't from Wildside, he's from IWA-Mid South originally. He trained CM Punk and Colt Cabana, and did a lot of work with them there and in ROH. He just signed a contract with Pro Wrestling NOAH in Japan.

Yeah, Ace isn't a high spot guy, definitely a tech wrestler through and through. Technical wrestlers aren't going to get over (unless they have a great character) in TNA because of the time-constraining PPV format, as I opined above. So they try to do the spot style and some guys like Ace just can't do it.

How can you say the worst X-Division champion was Waltman when he had two matches with the title, both of which were ***? I've NEVER seen Shane come close to even a **1/2 match when he wasn't being obviously carried, and Waltman held his own in his matches with Styles.

I agree that Waltman was OK as an X Champ, even though the Ladder Match in which he won it, he did NOTHING.

Sorry for the late response but I see TNA on the weekends. Anyway, now that I think about it, you're right about Vampiro blowing all those spots, but Raven is just so on that to me, he pulled off an entertaining and creative brawl.

As for the 2 mystery guys, wasn't Rick Steiner part of Jimmy Hart's "First Family" in late WCW? It's hard to remember but I vaguely remember him and Knobbs and like Jerry Flynn as this pathetic stable with Hart as their manager.

As for Duggan I have no idea, but I'll venture a guess that possibly Hart managed him in XWF?

Slapnuts, trying against all hope to defend TNA. :)

I seriously don't ever remember Jimmy Hart ever managing the other two.

Why didn't TNA acknowledge their past relationships then? They tend to do that...especially if the angle is built on it.

Dames

Well if the match was 3 minutes and Steiner ran out for a squash, then they didn't have too much time.

And David Ruffin, Journalist, whatever you call yourself now, that was Frankie Kazarian who Styles almost killed AND IT WAS FRANKIE'S FAULT. GOOD GODDAMN DO YOU EVER PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT PEOPLE TELL YOU? WE POST IN ALL CAPS, I MAKE MY TEXT LARGER THAN LANCE STORM'S PENIS AND EVEN YOU KNOW ITS A FACT, BUT YOU STILL IGNORE IT AND SAY THE SAME STUPID SHIT OVER AND OVER AGAIN. THATS WHY I "FLAME" YOU AND ZACK TOO.

Lance has something in those red tights. Its big as day, it looks like something unnatural.

I guess that's why he's alwasy smiling and dancing now...