TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrigidSoul

To the Mods

Guest FrigidSoul

You should really learn how to do an IP ban. I haven't been here that long but I notice numerous people you have banned coming back within like an hour with another name. The current form of banning is just a waste of your time since it doesn't work.

Just my .02 on the matter

Guest FrigidSoul
The problem with that is you take out innocents with the guilty.

Not if you do an exact IP Ban...unless of course they use AOL, you get random IPs via that so you're screwed. Even a cookie ban would be ok because I bet a few of them won't know how to remove it.

This has been discussed several times.

It's about as close to impossible as it can get to ban someone for good, particularly because a lot of us use dial-up (including me), and have a different IP every time they connect to the net.

Guest FrigidSoul

I'll figure something out then, I'm pretty good at this stuff. Not like I have anything else to do right now (stuck at home due to medical shit)

Guest FrigidSoul
We do ban the IPs, but we have the exact problems mentioned above.

Well I'll come up with something...perhaps a cookie which can't be deleted that is sent to the user everytime they login under a specific name, thus banning them from the site by going through their comp. Like you attach the cookie to a login, when said person logs in under that name from comp cookie is sent which locks them out of the site through their comp and not the IP. Its complicated but ye should be able to understand

Guest Salacious Crumb

Well I'll come up with something...perhaps a cookie which can't be deleted that is sent to the user everytime they login under a specific name, thus banning them from the site by going through their comp. Like you attach the cookie to a login, when said person logs in under that name from comp cookie is sent which locks them out of the site through their comp and not the IP. Its complicated but ye should be able to understand

I think they could get in trouble for that as it could be considered a virus.

Guest FrigidSoul

Its not a virus, it just locks people out of this specific site.

Its just a complicated lock

Personally I think you need to chill out. The mods do their jobs and keep it clean. Occasionally the pests get through but the problem is solved quickly. If you think what you have seen is bad, boy you haven't seen nothing.

Guest FrigidSoul
Personally I think you need to chill out. The mods do their jobs and keep it clean. Occasionally the pests get through but the problem is solved quickly. If you think what you have seen is bad, boy you haven't seen nothing.

I'm not all up in arms over it complaining big time, I'm just saying with the current system their bannings are a waste of their time cause they don't stick. I'm completely calm and coooool

Guest FrigidSoul
I'm completely calm and coooool

Who are you? The Fonz?

Eyyyyy...

Why yes I am *punches the jukebox....cept the glass breaks and his hand burts open in a bloody mess* Ahhhhh, oh god!!! *runs about in a panic*

Guest El Satanico

Well...it's fun to laugh at the guys who fail when they try to return.

You know like Princ...wait I mean Eagan

Guest The Old Me

Even banning the IP's, if the person knows how to fuck around, they will get back on.

Guest Just J

What you just said wouldn't do shit. If they have Ad-Aware the cookie wouldn't mean a damn thing. Since you're new and all you should just STFU and let the mods do their job.

Guest El Satanico

What was the point of tossing out the "you're new now shut up" garbage? Well, other than the typical "I'm established, I'm better than you" bs.

He was just throwing out an offer of help for making bannings stick. He didn't know this was already discussed and basically shown to be pointless. He wasn't calling the mods out or anything of the sort, so reign in the dogs.

Guest Just J
What was the point of tossing out the "you're new now shut up" garbage? Well, other than the typical "I'm established, I'm better than you" bs.

He was just throwing out an offer of help for making bannings stick. He didn't know this was already discussed and basically shown to be pointless. He wasn't calling the mods out or anything of the sort, so reign in the dogs.

This guy was insulting the intelligence of the entire administration. If there was a way they could completely ban a person do you think that they would still be allowing it to happen?

I just think this is a case of Plunderin not using common sense.

Guest FrigidSoul

I wasn't insulting anybody's intelligence, I was offering to help come up with something for a system that didn'twork...not knowing it had been discussed previously

Plunderin:

Thanks for your offer, but we're going to have to live with what we have. We're loath to add cookies or anything else to someone's PC, first because it's us putting something on someone's PC, and second because browser settings and spyware programs would render it pointless anyway. InvisionBoard's banning system isn't the best in terms of letting repeat offenders back on, but until they improve it, we're going to do the best we can with what we have.

Plunderin:

Thanks for your offer, but we're going to have to live with what we have. We're loath to add cookies or anything else to someone's PC, first because it's us putting something on someone's PC, and second because browser settings and spyware programs would render it pointless anyway. InvisionBoard's banning system isn't the best in terms of letting repeat offenders back on, but until they improve it, we're going to do the best we can with what we have.

What about looking into other board software? Or are we stuck with Invision?

The only option they have would to be a wildcard ban and boy would that be fun.

We did them at one point, but stopped a while back as a matter of internal policy. It eliminates way too many dialup users, and if you do a wildcard ban on a broadband IP, you're potentially elminitating quite a few broadband users, also. Basically, it's not worth salting the ground to get rid of a few pesky weeds.

Basically, if you're IP banned, your IP number is put into a filter and if you try to access the boards again using the same IP, you won't get in.

That's pretty much my uneducated shot at it.

Guest Gathering Moss

But say the person used different computers. What IP would be banned then?