TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

Benoit: Push to the Gold 2003

So I'm watching Smackdown last night...

Kurt Angle calls Benoit "the most sadistic... wrestler he has ever been in the ring with". He says that with Benoit, they are unbeatable. Benoit wins the tag match in convincing fashion with Angle playing the stooge for Cena/Albert. And finally, Benoit comes in at the Main Event and puts Brock in the crossface and is the last guy to get beaten up.

Does this feel strange for anyone???

Is Benoit actually getting a PUSH TO THE TOP?

I know he's been there before, but not like this. In 2000 he was a heel, in 2001 it wasn't really built up in a way where Benoit could actually WIN the title from Austin (though Benoit DID get very over at the time) and against Angle earlier this year I think we all knew he was fodder for the new champ. But now they're, you know, making him look good... like he could win the title. Like there is actually a CHANCE of it happening - a small one, but it's the biggest one yet.

Well, someone has to be built up for the return of NATHAN JONES~! You can now rest calmly, knowing there is no huge Benoit push in the upcoming future. Just as there is no Eddie Guerrero, Matt Hardy, RVD, Booker T, or Chris Jericho huge pushes in the future. But just be cool. If we're lucky, we'll wind up seeing Brock Heatless Push 2002 redone with Matt Morgan. Gotta love WWE!

Guest ftwdevils2469

Every 6 months we think there will be a Benoit push to the belt. It probably isn't going to happen now, But if he doesn't get it now it will more then likely be to late.

Guest wildpegasus

We'll see about the title chase. They need to pump up the story of how bad Benoit wants the title again. The one benifit of the split, Vince McMahon headlining and multiple PPVS is that it can possably allow guys like Benoit, Eddie or even Cena to get a title shot at a PPV. You can sneak them in a lot easier. Benoit was also put over big time in the NO Mercy commentary. That's when things really started to look up. It also looks like they're saving Benoit vs Angle for quite awhile and aren't going to go to the plate with it quite yet. Maybe a title match at Wrestlemania?

The one thing Benoit's got going for him is even though he's "small" he's built like anything. That has to impress Vince and is the reason why Eddie Guerrero who's also pretty built but is too small in the WWE's eyes is going to have a hard time getting anywhere near the top in the WWE.

*Benoit vs Eddie-Summerslam for the title in Toronto. Now I could dig that*

As much as I love Benoit, I see Eddie with the belt at WrestleMania moreso than I see Chris.

HOWEVER ... with Eddie as champion ... that would open the door to one hell of a series of matches between the two.

You tease ;)

RRR: Resisting Fantasy-Booking Benoit... must... not... get... hope...

"What if they actually put the title on Benoit... that means they actually did something right... what would we do?" - LOTC earlier today when we were discussing the possibility.

Guest wildpegasus
You tease ;)

RRR: Resisting Fantasy-Booking Benoit... must... not... get... hope...

"What if they actually put the title on Benoit... that means they actually did something right... what would we do?" - LOTC earlier today when we were discussing the possibility.

Be happy? Personally, I don't know if I'd be able to handle that.

Guest wildpegasus
...I'm terrified at the prospect of being content with the WWE product. It goes against everything I believe in ;)

Rest easy, my friend. Trust me, it'll never happen unless the league gets magically transformed into the All Japan of the 90's, Version 2. Than I'll be happy. Well... as long as they're pushing Spanky.

Guest Ray

Anyone else notice the "toothless agression" tights are gone?

Maybe the mid-card comedy tights are gone, because a serious push is a-coming~!

Please, Jesus let it be true...

I'd like to believe they are seriously going to push Benoit to the top, i really would. But until the WWE proves they can do it right i'll just be expecting him to be pushed into a thrown-together title match at one of the PPV's no one cares about, like No Way Out or Backlash, where he'll lose before heading right back to the midcard for another 6 months.

YES! I *DID* notice that!

Benoit has also gone back to the inner-thigh/crotch protectors... or whatever they are... which are fuckin sweet.

AAAND he added to his throat cut - which I suitably dug. It gets the fans to play along, they know what's coming next, they standup and pop-big... that, along with Benoits fluidity in the ring and intensity, should provide for a fun time for fans...

I've got a feeling Benoit will be the last survivor on the face team, win or lose.

With Benoit/Lesnar being booked around the house circuit for the month of November, I'd say they're preparing for a program that could end at the Rumble.

I agree...

I can see it ending up with just Benoit and Angle against the 5 Giants. Benoit gets hurt, Angle is on his own, is able to take down 2 guys but gets beaten by the third... Benoit is up against 3 guys - takes down two, may or may not beat Brock (depends on what happens on the RAW side of things... can't have 2 face teams win )..

They build it up as "Does Benoit have Brock's number?" either way and do the training videos~! with Angle leading up to the Rumble.

Guest PowerPB13

I won't believe it until I see Benoit standing tall with the newly-won belt in the ring, and not a second sooner. WWE has given me false hope far too often, and I refuse to get suckered by that goddamn company any more.

-Patrick

I'll believe it when I see WWE Champion Brock Lesnar tapping out to The Cripple Crossface in a singles match.

I won't believe it until I see Benoit standing tall with the newly-won belt in the ring, and not a second sooner.  WWE has given me false hope far too often, and I refuse to get suckered by that goddamn company any more.

-Patrick

Yep, remember when he got picked in the draft over Hulk f'n Hogan? It looked like he was about to go straight to the top. I mean what could stop him? Why... the only thing I can think of would be if they made him come back as a heel.......... IN HIS HOMETOWN.

There has been at least 3-4 examples, where the WWE were poised to have Chris Benoit become a major player in the main event scene.

--aligning Chris with Shane McMahon in mid-2000.

--giving the Power Trip a legitimate foe in the Canadian Chrisses.

--Benoit being drafted #3 for Vince's Smackdown brand.

--post-Royal Rumble (though it was the fan's doing.)

Thing is, they never executed when it came time to do it. Not because they were against pushing him, but they were just using tired methods of putting heat on the guy...which is why the negativity in this thread makes sense.

Edited by bravesfan