TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rob E Dangerously

Reds Outfielder Dernell Stenson murdered

source

MESA, Ariz. (AP) -- Cincinnati Reds outfielder Dernell Stenson was shot then dragged to his death behind a pick-up truck early Wednesday morning, Chandler police confirmed to the East Valley Tribune.

Stenson, who played in 37 games for the Reds this season, was in Arizona where he played with the Scottsdale Scorpions in the Arizona Fall League.

His body was found in the street near Dobson Road and Chandler Blvd., said Chandler police Sgt. Mark Franzen.

Arizona Fall League officials canceled Wednesday and Thursday's games in the wake of the incident.

"This is really awful," said Davona Vojovich, a friend of Stenson's who was outside Scottsdale Stadium when she was told of the incident, "I can't believe this happened."

Residents told police they saw the man thrown off a black sport utility vehicle about 1:45 a.m. It appeared he had been shot and run over by the vehicle.

Residents were able to provide police with a description of the vehicle. A short time later, police located an SUV matching that description in Mesa.

Chandler Detective Emma Bribiescas said police impounded the SUV and are interviewing the driver, but she would not say whether he was a suspect.

Stenson, of LaGrange Ga., hit .247 with three home runs and 13 RBIs in 37 games with Reds this season. He was a third-round draft pick of the Boston Red Sox in 1996 and played briefly with Boston during the 2002 season. He was claimed off waivers by Cincinnati on March 1.

what the hell..

damn.

Well seeing as I actually met this guy while he was playing for my Pawtucket Red Sox this really is disturbing news...

Thoughts and Prayers to his family.

:(

Guest FrigidSoul
Associated Press

PHOENIX -- A 19-year-old man was arrested on a homicide charge Thursday night in the death of Cincinnati Reds outfielder Dernell Stenson, and police said they were seeking a second suspect.

Reginald Riddle also was charged with armed robbery and kidnapping, Chandler, Ariz., police said.

Early Wednesday, Stenson's body was found in a street in a residential neighborhood in the Phoenix suburb. He had been shot, then run over and apparently dragged some distance by his own SUV.

Chandler police Detective Robert Krautheim said Riddle, from Harvey, Ill., is the half brother of Kevin Riddle, 43, who was found driving Stenson's SUV about two hours after the body was found.

Kevin Riddle was charged earlier with possession of stolen property, police said.

Authorities are seeking a third man, David Griffith, 20, who police said should be considered armed and dangerous.

So if ya live in the Pheonix area and you know the man, do the right thing

Guest FrigidSoul

No, call the cops

so the guy goes to jail and gets sodomised every night

I don't know what it says about our society that a (seemingly) all around good guy, can be not only murdered with no good reason, but murdered in a torturous fashion. A murder's still a murder, but I always find it much disturbing when the killer drags it out for a long while, as it would indicate that he's getting a personal pleasure out of it, whereas other murders are almost spur of the moment, and the guy doesn't even have a chance to realize what he's doing. Disturbing news, though. People are shit.

Guest FrigidSoul

Bruiser, if you think that's bad...well, lemme just say it gets worse

CHANDLER, Ariz. -- Reds outfielder Dernell Stenson was shot execution-style, with his hands and feet bound, sources familar to the police investigation told the East Valley (Ariz.) Tribune Friday.

Stenson's hands were bound with plastic handcuffs and his feet were tied together with shoelaces, sources told the newspaper.

I just don't know what kind of punishment the perps behind this should get. Death Sentence lets them off easy, life in prison allows them to live a full life. Only thing I can come up with is life in solitary.

Jesus, that's so messed up. I can't wait for them to catch whoever did this, not just because some bit of justice will be served, but then, maybe we'll find out why someone would go and do all of this to a guy who was most likely minding his own business.

Guest Anglesault
Jesus, that's so messed up. I can't wait for them to catch whoever did this, not just because some bit of justice will be served, but then, maybe we'll find out why someone would go and do all of this to a guy who was most likely minding his own business.

I personally couldn't give a shit and a half why he did it, I care that he did commit such a disgusting act.

I'll agree with you, Al, but perhaps it was a race thing. Is the suspect they have white? If so, then it'd probably point towards a race thing, as this whole scenario sounds a lot like other hate crimes.

Guest Anglesault
I'll agree with you, Al, but perhaps it was a race thing. Is the suspect they have white?

I know this is going to come off horrible and racist (which it's not meant to be) but a name like Krautheim really sounds like it could only be a white guy.

I'll agree with you, Al, but perhaps it was a race thing. Is the suspect they have white? If so, then it'd probably point towards a race thing, as this whole scenario sounds a lot like other hate crimes.

There was actually a white supremicist rally somewhere around that area the same time. I'm not sure where Cave Creek is in relation to where Stenson was killed, but its worth mentioning.

http://eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=12608

I was thinking about that, but I believe one of the articles said the suspects were from out of town, Illinois, I think. In fact, here it is, from the ESPN article:

The Riddles recently arrived in the Valley after driving cross country from Illinois, police told the paper.

Illinois to Arizona seems an awfully long way for a bunch of white chaps to drive just to kill a black fellow. I know this sounds bad, but if they wanted to kill a black man, they certainly didn't need to drive halfway across the country to find a victim.