TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

Crash Holly passes away

I believe he made a big deal about having to take Pain killers against his own will at some point in his book (I want to say Post HIAC or Rumble 99 but not sure)

I think he had to take them around WM2000 because he messed up his (knee?).

Guest Team Hoss

I have a hard time feeling sorry for all these wrestlers dying like this. You obviously don't wish death on any body, and I understand the circumstances and pressures they are under.

With that being said though, no one ever forced these guys to become professional wrestlers. By now people should understand the nature of the business and the risks that are entailed in it. You make your bed, but you have to lie in it, too.

Well, this has wore me out. Night 'yall and nice talking with you Slapnuts00. Back to medicine and sleep. :(

feel better. I too, am just getting over a cold...

I have a hard time feeling sorry for all these wrestlers dying like this. You obviously don't wish death on any body, and I understand the circumstances and pressures they are under.

With that being said though, no one ever forced these guys to become professional wrestlers. By now people should understand the nature of the business and the risks that are entailed in it. You make your bed, but you have to lie in it, too.

Should those risks and pressures exist though?

Guest Team Hoss
Should those risks and pressures exist though?

No, they shouldn't. But they do, and until something changes, that's the reality. I'm just saying people know, or should know, the reality of the wrestling industry before committing to it. It'd be nice if there was better health care, a less neckbreak schedule, etc. But I don't see that changing soon. The only thing you can really control is yourself, so you can't put yourself in a situation where you lose control.

Come on now guys, let's at least have a little more respect for this man's life. Can we stop arguing for a LITTLE while in order to pay him a little respect? He went out there every damn day in order to entertain US, and all we can do is say is that its his fault? It's his fault that he died at the hands of the industry where we wanted to live his dream!?!

:( man man man...

MAn, this was out of left field. RIP Crash.

And my favorite moment was at FunLand, in the ball pits. Second fav was a tie between the airport and the hotel room w/ the MSP.

I don't care what anyone says...

1) No one FORCED them to blah blah blah.

2) Vince can't watch everyone 24/7 (or whatever promoter they are working for).

3) They hurt, need painkillers.

4) *enter any other excuse here*

...the FACT, is that what is going on in this industry is UNNATURAL. There is obviously some fucked up shit going on, some fucked up shit that too many people are just ignoring and allowing to continue. We have a problem, there is a root to it somewhere, and it needs to be dealt with.

Period.

I don't have an answer, I don't even know what exactly the problem is. What I do know is that this needs to end. Sure, it'll never be totally over, but if something isn't done to slow this down, it's going to happen more and more, day after day, untill we're all knee deep in dead bodies, bodies of thos.

You wont be able to turn back the hands of time and deal with it then.

To just toss this aside and go "well, that's the business", that's just not true. It's not a part of the business to just die, and to see people die month after month.

I'm not in a posistion to say what should be done, none of us are. Still, SOMETHING needs to be done.

The problem isn't going away, it simply gets wose day by day now.

Guest Team Hoss

Why should we show respect for people who don't respect their own lives? I'm not saying this so much about Crash (especially not knowing what happened yet), but more as a general statement about all those before him, and even more unfortunately, those who will almost certainly follow. Every day people make decisions that affect their lives and determine their own course. I was shocked and saddened at the news. I enjoyed Crash as a performer and his premature death is unfortunate, but when history repeats itself so frequently, it's real tough not to get a bit cynical or jaded about it...

But Downhome- what can be done?

They've reduced the hellish schedules from the 80s and they work a manageable 4 days a week schedule.

Vince will send and pay for your rehab if you need it like he's done with various wrestlers.

A lot of people in wrestling just can't handle the pain and sacrafices necessary and they turn to stuff that does damage to their body.

It's sad but when you're on a Saturday night all alone with a nagging pain in your arm- sometimes you just need a way to escape...

The thing is that I have no idea what could be done, I really don't. All that I know is that it should be DEMANDED that something to be done about it, whatever that may be. It's no secret that people turn away to avoid the problem all too offten.

It simply can not continue to go on like this.

That's all I'm saying, I'm not here to get into a huge argument over this, it's just how I feel.

Guest Team Hoss

You know, the whole "off-season" concept has been debated some before, but maybe some sort of mandatory "vacations" for wrestlers should become a common practice. Have a guy work two months and then go home to his family for a month, or something. If there's problems going on, he'd have time to address them without fear of losing his spot, etc. It'd take some planning and flexibility, no doubt, but it might really help guys. You'd also avoid overexposing guys. This isn't a perfect solution no doubt, so don't take me to task on the holes that probably exist in it. But something along these lines would be worth a shot in my book, I know it's a pipe dream though.

You also just can't give everyone time off whenever they request it by SAYING they need time off.

If you start doing that, every other guy out there would take advantage of it.

Guest Team Hoss

That is true. I just think the vacations should be more frequent and of a longer duration.

roberts,_jake.jpg

"I shall outlast them all. Mwahahaha."

That's been proven over time... the only things that can survive a nuclear blast are cockroaches and Jake.

That is true. I just think the vacations should be more frequent and of a longer duration.

I'm sure that could be done, but you can NOT have an off-season, that needs to leave the conversation right here and now.

The possibility of giving a certain "lot" of guys a vacation at a certain guys, while keeping a great number of people on TV wouldn't be hard to do, and most fans wouldn't even realize it.

Favourite moments:

Crash Holly vs. Prince Nana - Metal

Crash Holly/Funaki vs. APA - Heat

Crash pimping Matt's book and WWE Magazines

CRASH'S TURNBUCKLE CLIMB INTO THE RING

Shit, the dude employed a lot of subtle humour that never caught on with the mainstream crowds.

This wrestler's death probably saddens me more than any other in the past few years. As a die-hard Metal/Heat/Velocity viewer, Crash Holly always made the recaps worth sitting through. I think most who are like me would agree that he was one of the best comedic wrestlers. I'm not saying that because he's dead, I was saying it back in those, "Which wrestler do you like, but others don't" threads. Crash, RIP, I'll miss you, and I'll try my best to remember you with a smile on my face.

Guest Team Hoss

Yeah a company wide off-season would not be a good idea. But for individuals or groups, it wouldn't be a bad idea. With the split-brand PPV's, you can afford to take a guy off TV for a few weeks and still come back to set up a PPV match.

sad thing is, that this kind of policy will never go through with WWE officials, until it starts hitting their current roster.

Im still in utter dismay here.

Erg.

Anyone who thinks that painkillers are "necessary" is either incredibly deluded or weak minded as hell...

First of all, pain killers are the worst thing you can use when you're in the midst of physical competition, because the very nature of them will make your injuries far worse by making you think you can do things you can't. I played football for most of my life, and like someone else in this thread, I always refused pain killers because it's just not good for you. It's not always the most productive thing to try and fight through the pain and whatnot, and there were times where I played when I shouldn't have... but I never took painkillers. It has to do with mental toughness, and quite frankly, it's sad to see those who don't have it. What they don't realize is that they're shortening their careers and their lives by numbing the pain at that very moment.

I don't watch wrestling anymore, but when i did, I remember Crash being quite entertaining. It's sad to see him go.

After speaking to a friend about this (Mean Mark Ash, works up in NC and posts at WC) he talked to me a bit about a few things, I have a few ideas.

How about having the entire INDUSTRY cut down on relying so much on aerial and high impact moves and bumps, and going back to rely on TRUE psychology and the such, and allowing the aerial and high impact moves and bumps to be left for certain moments here and there. Besides, it'd make all of that stuff MEAN something in the end.

I'm not saying to have shit matches, just change the style the such. There are guys out there who couldn't cut it, but that's life. Perhaps it is time to go back to a more psychological style of Pro. Wrestlng, at least for a while.

Besides that, we need to fucking STOP with the harcore cut bodies that so many are trying to aquire and to keep. You don't need that shit to be a truly great Pro. Wrestler, just go back to the pre-90s and the such for proof of that. I could list Pro. Wrestlers all day that were truly great, that didn't have a cut as stone body.

If you mix those two things up, a combination of the two, then I think we might get somewhere. We could possibly cut down a bit on the HIGH need for painkillers (rampant use) and obviosly help cut down on the steroid use.

Major League Wrestling is saddened by the loss of Michael Lockwood, known in the ring as Crash Holly, Erin O'Grady, and a few other ring names. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Michael's friends and family.

--MLW.com

"Piper was canned because he admitted he had a drug porblem and being in wrestling fostered it, henceforth, he was fired"

He admitted to having the problem IN THE 80S. He was fired because he told the truth.

Furthermore...when Teddy Hart is sitting on that show talking about how he'd do all the steroids it took to make it...and Vince is still pushing the monsters and squashing the small guys...

I don't blame Vince for their deaths.

I blame vince for forcing wrestling to be this three ring circus that leads to their deaths.

Guest wrestlingbs

I really am at a loss for words. I understood Hawk and Stu, and Hennig to a extent, but Holly came out of nowhere.

To one of the greatest hardcore champs of all time, thank you Mr. Lockwood.

Favourite moments:

CRASH'S TURNBUCKLE CLIMB INTO THE RING

My favorite entrance ever!

That, and when he teamed with Funaki, he made Funaki pull down the top rope so he could enter the ring Kevin Nash-style.

Even simply the way he walked...I loved his subtle humor too.

I was really enjoying Mad Mikey too :(

R.I.P Mike Lockwood

Wow, God hates wrestling.

This has probably been posted, but wrestlingobserver.com says:

We have no other details on the death at this time other than a report that he may have choked on his vomit.

If this is true, then I guess it was drug/alcohol related.

Guest Dmann2000
roberts,_jake.jpg

"I shall outlast them all. Mwahahaha."

First RIP Crash, only the good die young

Second, I have no clue how to deal with this problem in wrestling, and yes I don't like it.

And third, Jake Roberts IS the Keith Richards of wrestling.

Guest Dmann2000
"Piper was canned because he admitted he had a drug porblem and being in wrestling fostered it, henceforth, he was fired"

He admitted to having the problem IN THE 80S. He was fired because he told the truth.

Furthermore...when Teddy Hart is sitting on that show talking about how he'd do all the steroids it took to make it...and Vince is still pushing the monsters and squashing the small guys...

I don't blame Vince for their deaths.

I blame vince for forcing wrestling to be this three ring circus that leads to their deaths.

The by proxy the fans should share blame for accepting said 3 ring circus and making it popular, thus making a certain body type and look ideal for a wrestler.