TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

Guest Anglesault

I wanna see one Team Pearl Harbor another.

I don't even know what that would entail, but it would be cool.

The Giants signed Michael Tucker

and in the process, they lose a first round pick to Kansas City because Tucker was type B and they couldn't wait until tomorrow to do it. (Tucker was not getting arbitration)

:D :D :D

The Giants signed Michael Tucker

and in the process, they lose a first round pick to Kansas City because Tucker was type B and they couldn't wait until tomorrow to do it. (Tucker was not getting arbitration)

:D :D :D

Was there really going to be a rush on Michael Tucker???

Why did the Giants force the issue???

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1680986

'Pudge' to play elsewhere next season

ESPN.com news services

MIAMI -- Ivan Rodriguez's last act in a Florida Marlins uniform was kissing home plate at Yankee Stadium. Now, he's kissed the World Series champions goodbye.

Rodriguez and the Marlins failed to agree on a contract Sunday night, meaning the 10-time All-Star catcher will playing elsewhere next season. His previous contract prevented Florida from offering salary arbitration, which could have extended negotiations through Jan. 8.

Instead, the Marlins ran out of time, despite all three of their top executives -- owner Jeffrey Loria, president David Samson and general manager Larry Beinfest -- negotiating with Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, Sunday and increasing their multiyear contract offer.

The Marlins upped their offer to about two years and $16 million, added incentives based on health and added a vesting option year that would have brought the three-year total close to $25 million, reports ESPN.com's Jayson Stark.

Rodriguez and Boras said they needed a four-year deal, worth a guaranteed $40 million because they can get that elsewhere. But Florida would not agree to a deal of that size, and so Rodriguez will be wearing a different uniform next season, Stark reports.

"I would like to thank the Florida Marlins' fans," Rodriguez said in statement issued late Sunday night by Boras. "We had a great championship season together.

"I tried my best to remain a Marlin by not requesting a salary increase. To my knowledge, I'm the only major leaguer in recent times who won the World Series and received a postseason MVP award, and yet his club did not offer a higher salary."

Rodriguez signed a $10 million, one-year free agent deal with Florida last winter. He wanted a four-year deal to match the length of the $32 million contract the Marlins gave third baseman Mike Lowell last week, but did not ask for a raise over the $10 million annual average salary.

Beinfest, speaking shortly past midnight on a conference call, said the team offered a package with an annual salary "in the range" of $7 million annually, but that Boras and Rodriguez were "immovable" off the $10 million request.

"We'll all go to sleep tonight knowing we tried very hard to bring Pudge back," Beinfest said. "It didn't work out."

Rodriguez was the NL championship series MVP and had a team-best 17 RBIs during the Marlins' World Series run.

The team scheduled a midnight conference call to discuss the Rodriguez situation.

"It was a privilege to be a part of this world championship team, and it is unfortunate the ownership chose not to keep the club together, as I felt we had the players to repeat as world champions," Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez's decision means the Marlins likely will enter next season with two veteran backups, Mike Redmond and Ramon Castro, vying for the starting job.

Redmond hit .240 with no homers in 125 at-bats in 2003; Castro hit .283 with five home runs in 53 at-bats. Castro's situation is a bit uncertain, though, as he still has a pending legal battle surrounding a rape charge filed by a woman after an alleged attack in Pittsburgh last summer.

"We're certainly monitoring Ramon's pending legal situation," Beinfest said. "We are comfortable with the two catchers. We were comfortable with them both a year ago."

Florida also strengthened its bullpen Sunday, agreeing with reliever Chad Fox on a $1.2 million, one-year deal. Fox, who played at a Houston-area high school, had a 2.13 ERA after joining Florida as a free agent in August, and could move from setup man to closer, since the Marlins were not expected to offer free agent closer Ugueth Urbina salary arbitration before Sunday's deadline.

Florida also did not make arbitration offers to another pair of free agents, outfielder Todd Hollandsworth and right-hander Rick Helling, before the deadline.

Urbina was 3-0 with six saves and a 1.41 ERA during the regular season for the Marlins, when he served primarily as the setup man for Braden Looper. After Looper faltered late in the year, Urbina became the closer and saved four of the Marlins' 11 wins en route to the World Series title.

It's unknown if the Marlins will offer Looper, who was the closer for much of last season, salary arbitration which could result in a significant raise over his $2.4 million deal for 2003.

The Marlins have until Dec. 20 to offer deals to their arbitration-eligible players, including Looper, Redmond, outfielder Juan Encarnacion, shortstop Alex Gonzalez, and pitchers Carl Pavano, Brad Penny, Mark Redman and Michael Tejera.

"We still have some balls in the air that we need to attack," Beinfest said. "We'll start tomorrow."

Also Sunday, the team formally announced the signing of second baseman Luis Castillo to a $16 million, three-year contract. Castillo passed his physical to complete the deal, team spokesman Steve Copses said.

Guest Bottled Black

Pardon me if its already been addressed and I missed it, but according to WFAN in NY, Kaz Matsui is shortly going to hold a press conference in Japan to announce his intention to sign with the Mets.

Great now they only need a pitcher and a power hitting outfielder, and they can still finish behind the Braves. :(

http://www.ajc.com/sunday/content/epaper/e...ed125c0071.html

Filling the void

The belt-tightening Braves let high-dollar veterans go, promise to stay competitive

David O'Brien - Staff

Sunday, December 7, 2003

When the Braves last won the World Series in 1995, they started the season with a $45 million payroll that equaled the Yankees'.

In 2004, the Braves will probably have an $80 million payroll that will be about $110 million lower than the Yankees'.

And the Braves might go even lower, to $75 million, which is probably what the Yankees will pay their pitching staff.

Welcome to "the inevitable metamorphosis of the Braves," as Stan Kasten put it last month, the day he stepped down as president of the Braves, Hawks and Thrashers.

"We're going to try to spend no more than we generate in revenue," said general manager John Schuerholz, who has been here throughout the Braves' run of 12 consecutive divisional titles.

It's a streak he says can continue, regardless of likely free-agent departures of the team's top power hitters, Gary Sheffield and Javy Lopez, pitcher Greg Maddux, third baseman Vinny Castilla and others.

"Absolutely, we have not lowered our sights," Schuerholz said.

"While we may have less money to spend because of adjustments we're making in our payroll, we will be no less determined in our efforts to build a championship team. We're still gonna have enough money to put a championship team on the field."

Turnover adding up

Only one thing is certain: It will be a team that looks almost entirely different than the last Braves pennant-winning team in 1999.

Of the seven highest-paid players on that team --- Maddux, Andres Galarraga, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, Lopez, Ryan Klesko, Brian Jordan --- only Smoltz is likely to stay, and he's recovering from elbow surgery.

Lopez hit .328 with a career-high 43 home runs at age 32, but his $7 million salary could rise to $10 million in arbitration, which is why the Braves won't be offering it to him before tonight's deadline. His career with Atlanta is over. Rookie Johnny Estrada is expected to take over as the starting catcher.

"I've been told that they will not offer arbitration, which is not surprising," said Chuck Berry, Lopez's agent. "It was pretty easy to see the writing on the door, with the way Estrada played and the way the Braves were trying to get their salaries down."

So did others. Before the Braves played the Cubs in this year's division series, Smoltz said Atlanta players were certain there would be more personnel changes than ever if the Braves didn't win the World Series.

Schuerholz downplayed the statement then and continues to do so, pointing out that Atlanta has averaged 10 personnel changes annually during its run.

"Any time there are more [high-profile players involved] it becomes more challenging, certainly," he said. "But we've never viewed it as daunting, or something that's impossible to deal with. More challenging, yes. Impossible, no."

While Schuerholz never discusses finances or players he's pursuing, it's safe to assume the Braves are going to shed more than $40 million in salary through departing free agents and put perhaps $20 million back into next year's payroll.

They've been working with a number of different plans, but are unlikely to offer the kind of multiyear deal with a $12 million-or-higher annual salary that it might take to land a free agent like Vladimir Guerrero or pitcher Andy Pettitte.

The Braves could have rookies at catcher and first base (Adam LaRoche) in 2004; Mark DeRosa, with 14 career home runs, at third base; and an established but relatively modest-priced player in right, such as Minnesota's Jacque Jones.

The Braves nearly pulled off a deal for Montreal ace Javier Vazquez last week, but the Expos traded him to the Yankees. Kevin Millwood could be targeted next, after the Phillies decline to offer him arbitration before tonight's deadline.

"No matter who's on our roster, anyway you want to structure it, we're going gonna have a good team," Schuerholz said.

Albeit one with less star power than in recent years. Atlanta may never have had so many high-profile or long-term Braves leave in a two-year span. Last winter it was Glavine and Millwood. This year it's All-Stars Lopez and Sheffield, and Maddux, a future Hall of Famer who's 11 wins shy of 300.

Agent Scott Boras represents Millwood and Maddux. He finds it difficult to understand how the Braves would not attempt to bring back Maddux, particularly with Sheffield and his $11 million salary departing.

"What built the Braves was, Ted [Turner] invested in players, and the TV ratings and fans came," Boras said. "That formula worked continually."

The Braves were outbid last winter for Glavine by the Mets, and out-bidded this year by the Yankees for Sheffield. The Braves decided they couldn't afford to risk arbitration-set salaries for Millwood last year, now Lopez and Maddux.

Smoltz is the only player remaining from the Braves' first division championship team, and if Lopez and Maddux leave, Chipper Jones will be the only other remaining member of the '95 World Series team.

"We still have a substantial core," Schuerholz said. "The core hasn't diminished. The original guys have; we're down to one. But that happens everywhere, in all sports. Cores change. That doesn't mean they weaken."

The Braves can only hope their fans buy into that thinking. Even with last year's explosive offensive team, the attendance decline continued at Turner Field. Perhaps nothing short of a World Series championship can reverse it.

"We think, at the end of the day, fans will be excited by the [2004] team," Schuerholz said. "We think fans will be interested in the team and enjoy the team. Fans always enjoy teams that win. That's an understood issue."

Angels-Marlins model

Many observers predicted the Braves' division-title run would end last season. But the Braves answered their critics by winning 101 games, relying on the league's top offense to overcome uncharacteristically mediocre pitching.

But for the second consecutive year, they lost in the first round of the playoffs.

The Anaheim Angels won the 2002 World Series with a payroll far lower than the Braves', and the Florida Marlins won it in 2003 with a $50 million payroll.

The success of those teams, and playoff appearances by the Minnesota Twins and Oakland A's, helped convince Braves ownership that salaries could be scaled back.

The Braves claim to have lost $15 million or more annually in recent years.

So next season, the Braves will be spending less on players than division foes the Philadelphia Phillies and New York Mets, and not much more than the Marlins or lowly Detroit Tigers, teams that project payrolls of $60 million.

The Braves' $95 million payroll last season ranked fifth or sixth in the majors, about $20 million behind the biggest spenders other than the Yankees.

But next season, the Braves' payroll will probably rank near the middle of 30 teams, and probably as close to the bottom-rung $30 million payrolls of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and Milwaukee Brewers as to the payrolls of the Boston Red Sox and Los Angeles Dodgers.

Boras sees a bad precedent for what the Braves are doing.

"Cleveland is a living example of what happens when you cut your payroll and lose stature players," he said. "They lost 35 percent of their attendance last year. The result is a huge drop in your franchise value. I think the formula for success still works, when you invest in players. I think Cleveland's an example of ownership that really made a big mistake."

WHO'S THE RIGHT MAN?

With Gary Sheffield's expected departure to the New York Yankees, and no heir apparent in the farm system to play right field, the Braves probably will look outside their organization to fill the void.

> Vladimir Guerrero (left), Expos (.300, 25 HRs, 79 RBIs in 2003) --- Free agent would be ideal replacement, but price tag is too high for most teams.

> Magglio Ordonez, White Sox (.317, 29, 99) --- 1 HR, 1 RBI shy of fifth straight 30-100-.300+ season; scheduled to make $14 million on last year of contract.

> Juan Encarnacion, Marlins (.270, 19, 94) --- Arbitration eligible, but Florida is expected to non-tender him. Made $3.5 million last season.

> Richard Hidalgo, Astros (.309, 28, 88) --- Makes $12 million next season, and Astros --- looking to free up money to sign Andy Pettitte --- might pay part of salary in order to trade him.

> Jose Guillen, Athletics (.311, 31, 86) --- Free agent made just $500,000 last season; had breakthrough year but has played for five teams in past five seasons.

> Jose Cruz Jr., Giants (.250, 20, 68) --- Made $2 million last season and won Gold Glove, but is a free agent. Giants have indicated they won't re-sign him.

> Reggie Sanders, Pirates (.285, 31, 87) --- Free agent made $1 million last season. Been with 6 teams in past 6 seasons, including Braves in 2000, when he was a huge disappointment (.232, 11, 37).

> Jacque Jones, Twins (.304, 16, 69) --- Makes $4.3 million in 2004; cost-conscious Minnesota might be willing to trade him.

Vlad would be huge in Camden cause he could easily knock 60 out of that park. Not to mention Baltimore plans to sign Lopez and Tejada from the A's

If Baltimore grabs all three of those guys....it might be a three horse race in the AL EAST that quick.

Vlad would be huge in Camden cause he could easily knock 60 out of that park. Not to mention Baltimore plans to sign Lopez and Tejada from the A's

If Baltimore grabs all three of those guys....it might be a three horse race in the AL EAST that quick.

Not quite yet, they still need the most important thing, Pitching. They don't have anything that compares to Mussina/Vazquez/Contreras or even better Pedro/Schilling/Lowe/Wakefield.

I have to say I was shocked when I saw Millwood was offered. The only thing I considered was they did it just to get the picks, because in their mind there is no way Scott Boras settles for a one year arbitration number.

Not that I would mind

Millwood

Wolf

Padilla

Myers

Milton

But it seems like they wouldn't want to spend the money on Wagner, Milton, and Millwood.

They better get around to getting one more very good bullpen arm soon, now that Hasegawa is gone the pickings are getting slim. Here is to an Utley-Kim trade.

And I like how the whole time, the Expos company line was we will keep either Vazquez or Vlad. Big shock (sarcasm) neither of those things happened.

Vlad didnt get offered arbitration by the Expos and is now a free agent!

1 step closer to becoming an Oriole.

This whole Expos situation stinks. They were saying they traded Vazquez so they'd free up money to possibly be able to sign Vlad. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the commissioner's office didn't think too highly of that plan and put the kibosh on it.

Just move the team already. It's painful enough to still have them in Montreal, but know they'll never have a shot to win becuase the other 29 teams won't allow it.

Guest Choken One

What are the chances Vlad goes to Atlanta?

It has his "people" and it isn't a BIG time city like Bost, Chi, LA, and NY.

So where is IROD headed? He should get that big contract he deserves...Some reports say Chicago will get him.

I hope so, Sammy wont have to be the leader anymore and he can focus on getting his 50 HR's and 145 RBI'S now.

IROD would be a HUGE addition to the Cubbies. It's an ideal addition. With Sammy and IROD providing the offensive pop and Prior and Wood as #1 and #2 pitchers it's gonna be awfully hard to screw up.

Alou, Patterson and Sosa are fine as an outfield trio. Plus with the addition of Lee and Aramis at third, they don't need more offense. Although yes, the addition of Pudge gives them a more stable catcher which is a huge requirement.

Vlad needs to go to a team that needs him, like Baltimore or those dead end Tigers.

Also, Baltimore had stable pitching last year and odds are high at Ponson rejoins Baltimore.

ETA: God, I need to quit posting when sick and eating cause I apparently lose all ability to read.

From what I understand, the Orioles are probably going after Vlad AND either Lopez or Tejada. A lot of people in the Os camp are devided on Lopez/Tejada. After that, they are definitely looking to get a relief pitcher and possibly a starter. The pitching issue isn't a big deal.

Wells to remain a Yankee

Well it looks like the picture is starting to clear up for NY, if Wells can get and stay healthy he will be a good re-signing. I would be in favor of any team taking him on with an incentive laden deal. I didn't think he was that big of a risk.

Do you think they are going to get another pitcher if Pettite goes to Houston or would they just let Contreras try out the 5 slot?

Guest Anglesault
Wells to remain a Yankee

Well it looks like the picture is starting to clear up for NY, if Wells can get and stay healthy he will be a good re-signing. I would be in favor of any team taking him on with an incentive laden deal. I didn't think he was that big of a risk.

Do you think they are going to get another pitcher if Pettite goes to Houston or would they just let Contreras try out the 5 slot?

::Hugs pinjockey and doesn't let go::

Wow, Michael Tucker.

A sure sign of a WS championship finally coming to the good Bay Area city, aka not Oakland.

This sucks. Someone's gonna come from absolutely nowhere to win the WS this year, just like the previous 2 seasons. Fucking over consistent teams for one more year.

Bleh.

Reliever Shigetoshi Hasegawa agreed to a $6.3 million, two-year contract Dec. 7. "I was really holding my breath on this one," said manager Bob Melvin. "Re-signing Shiggy, as valuable and versatile as he is, was a priority for us." The 35-year-old right-hander gets a $500,000 signing bonus and salaries of $2.5 million next season and $2,975,000 in 2005. Seattle has a $3.1 million option for 2006 that could become guaranteed under certain conditions. There is a $325,000 buyout.

Here today, gone tomorrow

So long, Cammie. The Mariners will let Randy Winn take over in center at spacious Safeco Field. The Mariners didn't offer salary arbitration to Gold Glove outfielder Mike Cameron, who spent four seasons in Seattle. He arrived in the trade that sent Ken Griffey Jr. to Cincinnati. "I don't feel great about it," said general manager Bill Bavasi. "This guy filled some pretty big shoes. From the outside looking in, he made people forget Junior pretty quick." Besides Cameron, the Mariners didn't offer arbitration to lefty reliever Arthur Rhodes, right-handed reliever Armando Benitez, outfielder John Mabry, infielder Mark McLemore and shortstop Rey Sanchez.

This sucks. Someone's gonna come from absolutely nowhere to win the WS this year, just like the previous 2 seasons. Fucking over consistent teams for one more year.

TORONTO BLUE JAYS WS CHAMPS 2004!!!