TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

Also, espn says the Mariners are looking to trade Carlos Guillen to the Cleveland Indians for Omar Vizquel. Chalk this one up to new GM Bill Bavasi's ongoing quest to make the Mariners as bad as possible this upcoming season.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

rumor in Chicago has it that the A-Rod deal is done. The Rangers would get Manny, "a starting pitcher, and cash considerations". Nomah would go to the Dodgers.

Would the Dodgers give up anything in the deal? I heard the same deal on espnnews, and its kind of odd.

I would imagine a couple of good prospects, at least.

Also, espn says the Mariners are looking to trade Carlos Guillen to the Cleveland Indians for Omar Vizquel. Chalk this one up to new GM Bill Bavasi's ongoing quest to make the Mariners as bad as possible this upcoming season.

Hey spending $9 million on Scott Spiezio was a great move! :lol:

Apparantly the A's aren't going to hang on Michael Barrett and he will end up being in another deal although every rumored deal the A's are in it hasn't worked yet this offseason. Talking to the Cubs about Damian Miller and a surprising rumor has surfaced about them talking to the Marlins about Mark Redman. Guess you can never have enough pitching although who knows they may just package him in another deal or someone got Mark Redman and catcher Mike Redmond mixed up. ;)

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I think it's fair to say the Dodgers would trade some minor leaguers for Nomar, it just wasn't specified in the report.

Anyone else think "starting pitcher" is Kim?

Scott Williamson is the name that is popping up in this deal. It's pretty understandable to deal him now that the Sox have Foulke. They (the Sox) could use Kim as their #5 starter.

EDIT: Oh wait, I missed the "starting pitcher" part. Although, I've read that Williamson would like to start.

As thought...the A's already traded Michael Barrett to the Cubs for a PTBNL. So they traded him for a PTBNL to get a PTBNL. Um, okay.

A's also re-signed Ricardo Rincon to a two-year deal.

That's what I suspected although its usually a minor leaguer. Guess that means the Cubs are definently getting Pudge or Lopez.

Ya but Miller is better so I'd assume they would trade to have Barrett be the back-up to whoever they sign. That being said now I'm hearing its not Miller to the A's but just a prospect. I'm confused.

Rant it doesn't make sense to you trade a better hitter, 8-years younger, who makes less money for a washed up former all-star? Your crazy! It makes sense Bill Bavasi as he apparantly has the Mariners on the same 20 years of mediocrity plan that he had with the Angels.

I don't know how you go from trying to get Tejada to Omar.

Sure he is still loved in Seattle but...

::shakes fist IN ANGER~!... again!::

Ya but Miller is better so I'd assume they would trade to have Barrett be the back-up to whoever they sign. That being said now I'm hearing its not Miller to the A's but just a prospect. I'm confused.

Huh? Barrett to the Cubs? Damian Miller and Paul Bako are just fine. Though I wouldn't mind getting Pudge here.

EDIT: "Pudge-Rod" does NOT work as a nickname for Ivan Rodriguez. Neither does Manny Ramirez's "Man-Ram."

Personally, while I'm not crazy about Miller or Bako, I don't think the Cubs should tinker with that position. Offensively they are quite below average (maybe not so much for a catcher), but defensively, they're a couple of the best guys in baseball and no, that's not just the Cubs fan in me talking. Miller was the shit last year when it came to throwing runners out.

I don't really wish to see Javy or Pudge end up with the Cubs, simply because I feel that their respective season efforts last year were a fluke. They're great players, but those were careers seasons they had and I wouldn't hold my breath and wait for them to top it.

Barrett is better than Bako so deal him. Miller they should keep to help Barrett fully achieve his potential.

And Baltimore it seems are less than 24 hours from landing Vlad, I-Rod (or Lopez) and Ponson. Wow, being an Orioles fan may not suck this season.

I don't really wish to see Javy or Pudge end up with the Cubs, simply because I feel that their respective season efforts last year were a fluke. They're great players, but those were careers seasons they had and I wouldn't hold my breath and wait for them to top it.

Pudge's season last year was actually sub-par compared to some of the years that he's had in the past.

Pudge not only provides offense, but his arm and defense cause teams to alter their running game.

The big issue with I-Rod is his health. Last season was the first time in four years he topped 120 games. And he's not getting any younger.

As for Lopez, he'll never come close to 40 home runs again.

Guest FrigidSoul

A-Rod to Boston tommorow

Its rumored in Chicago that Magglio Ordonez could head to the Red Sox with some of the players the Red Sox get from LA

for Nomar

So how you feeling AngleSault? =)

Breaking news...and shame on my fellow A's fans for ever doubting the evil genius Billy Beane

Marlins trade Redman to Oakland

By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer

December 16, 2003

MIAMI (AP) -- The Florida Marlins traded pitcher Mark Redman to Oakland for reliever Mike Neu on Tuesday night in yet another offseason move by the World Series champions.

Redman was 14-9 with a 3.59 ERA last season for the Marlins, then was 0-1 with a 6.50 ERA in four postseason starts. He was one of seven arbitration-eligible players that the Marlins had to offer a contract before Saturday.

The Marlins will also receive another player or cash to complete the deal, team spokesman Steve Copses said.

Marlins general manager Larry Beinfest said the two primary factors in the decision to trade Redman were payroll concerns and the planned return of right-hander A.J. Burnett to the Marlins' rotation in 2004.

The Marlins had a $54 million payroll last season, and are expected to spend about $60 million in salaries for 2004.

``You want to try to stretch your payroll as far as you can,'' Beinfest said. ``We were not able to stretch it far enough. This is part of the business. Mark Redman did a tremendous job for this ballclub. Thankfully, we have another starter coming back in A.J.''

Neu had one save and a 3.64 ERA in 32 relief appearances last season for Oakland. He played college baseball for the University of Miami, earning three saves while helping the Hurricanes to the 1999 College World Series title.

The Athletics traded starter Ted Lilly to Toronto earlier in the offseason, and general manager Billy Beane said he hopes Redman can fill the fourth spot in Oakland's rotation behind Tim Hudson, Barry Zito and Mark Mulder.

``We think he's a quality major league pitcher,'' Beane said. ``You look at what he accomplished last year in Florida and it speaks for itself. ... He's a guy we've always liked and is an undervalued commodity.''

Oakland will have until Saturday to sign Redman, who is arbitration-eligible. Beane said he was ``hopeful'' that a deal would get done.

Since winning the championship, the Marlins have traded first baseman Derrek Lee and outfielder Juan Encarnacion and parted ways with catcher Ivan Rodriguez and closer Ugueth Urbina. They have until Saturday to decide whether to offer contracts to other arbitration-eligible players, including reliever Braden Looper, shortstop Alex Gonzalez, and starting pitchers Carl Pavano and Brad Penny.

``For everybody that's leaving, there's an opportunity for somebody else,'' Beinfest said. ``It's a very difficult decision when you talk about the quality of a Mark Redman and what he meant to the team.''

The Marlins continued to pursue trade possibilities for a closer on Tuesday, Beinfest said, and hope to have someone acquired by the weekend -- meaning Looper's role with the team is still in question. Beinfest said Neu is being thought of as a middle-inning reliever and not in a closer's capacity.

Actually knowing Beane, Redman might be traded again but hey I'm happy with this and damn only giving up a middle reliever to get him.